The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Always room for one more

Was beautiful all day and not hot, so the car show was a success. Saw lots of nice cars, a few Oldsmobiles, and a couple people I knew. Really nice time. There was a 70 Pace Car there that had every option available on it. A 62 Cutlass convertible with the high compression V8, a 50 four door that looked every bit original. And a totally original 65 442. I think that was it for the Oldsmobiles. Also saw a TR6 that I think I used to own. I didn't recognize the guy's name but the wheels looked familiar. I'll have to look up the VIN and see if that was it.

Marc I know what you mean about driving an old car. Sure the new cars ride nicer but they don't have the "feel" that an old car has. Few new cars have any kind of personality. I can't imagine driving an old car back in the day with the crappy bias tires. Though if you don't know anything different...

We have a couple months to go for car shows, though they are winding down. There's a couple big swap meets coming up I'd like to take in, we'll see. I'm still trying to make plans for Turkey Rod Run, but the people I would stay with are slow in telling me what their plans are. I was going to get a room and go by myself, but rooms are close to 200 a night, I ain't paying that.

After the show I went to the shop and got the big truck put back together. It runs and drives like a champ. No telling what the trouble was, but there's absolutely no indication that there's anything wrong. Maybe something got out of sync when I was hammering on it, and just taking it apart and putting it back together put things back. Ya right.

Think I'll pick up around the house a little and then hit the sack. One more day off, but it will be an early one for work Monday. I sure have enjoyed being off this much.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 30th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Always room for one more

And good morning everyone.

Overcast and coolish. I hope the rain is done, we've had plenty.

Gonna head up to my work this morning and use the aluminum oxide blaster to clean off a few parts. Man does it leave a nice finish. I had some rims I blasted and then rattle canned, and they look like they're powder coated.

I looked up that TR6 I saw yesterday, and it's the same guy that bought my car, but the serial number is different. If I remember, that car had several numbers in various places so I might have looked at the wrong one. I'll have to wait till next year to see if he brings it again.

Okay off to see what's what. Have a good day everyone.
Old September 30th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Always room for one more

Hey Dan, you see this car running around your fair town?

https://muskegon.craigslist.org/cto/...686768713.html

Okay enough computer surfing, I gotta get something done. See ya's.
Old September 30th, 2018, 02:14 PM

I too would rather cruise down the road in old cars. The 98 I had just floated down the road and soaked up all the bumps.
Got that turbo changed over at my friends house yesterday and now his car is back on the road, for now. He's on his 4th one for this car, it keeps eating them lol. Holden Captiva/Chevy Equinox, one of the biggest lemons around these days. I told him to trade the POS and get something else as it costs him a few grand every time the turbo goes. We'll see what he does I guess.
Rain eased off yesterday and it looks to be a fine day today so I will probably go for a bike ride with Minette to the park or something as the kids are currently on holidays.
Have a great day everyone,
Adrian
Old September 30th, 2018, 02:29 PM

Cool and dank here. I'll just get groceries and watch football. Oh, and vacuum cat hair. Mike, I haven't seen that Toro around, although it's not more than 10-15 minutes from me. I looked at a house in that area before buying this one.
Old September 30th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Oh no, not again...

Cool out today, managed to get the yard winterized and cleaned up. This is the earliest we've done it but I really can't see any nice weather ahead, just more cold and winter-like conditions. It just sucks; this was possibly the shortest growing season we've had in my memory.
Didn't pull any of the cars out, the sun came out but it's kinda hanging there useless right now, if it's 40 degrees out I'd be surprised.
Have to have a talk with the Resident Feline, I found 2 kill sites where some poor bird found itself as lunch. Feathers everywhere. Last week I found the ***-end of a mouse, I'm assuming she had something to do with that too. I'm going to have to suggest she commit her capital crimes elsewhere as I'm getting tired of cleaning up carcasses. See how far that goes.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Old September 30th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Guys:
It has been a pretty nice day here today. No rain and a perfect day for a car show. Too bad we didn't have this weather yesterday. My wife and I went up to our son and daughter in laws for a reveal party for her oldest daughter. Interesting event and we had never been to one before. It was the first time we had meet the boyfriend and father of the baby. He seemed to be a nice guy and very polite. None of the daughters natural grandparents were there and she had little if anything to do with any of them. So Ginny and I are considered the great grandparents and are okay with that. I guess these reveal parties are a big thing these days. The doctor's office emailed the sister and she set the whole thing up. The parents did not know the gender of the baby until today. They popped two large confetti poppers and confetti was pink which obviously indicates a girl which is what they both wanted. I am still from the dark ages I guess when couples got married before they had kids. That is about all we did today. Hope everybody has had a good day.
Glenn
Old October 1st, 2018, 09:46 AM

Dang, late in the day to be the first to post. Looks like rain in the forecast for the next week and a half. Temps today about 60, Weds 80, and then back down to the 60's. Fall has arrived. One car show to go in 2 weeks.
Old October 1st, 2018, 11:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Monday all,

Not a great day here. Cold in fact. Woke up to 30° and light snow. It's still got light snow coming down close to noon. Definitely not the way I thought the day would go, and not really a lot of improvement in sight for the next 2 weeks. It's still coming down lightly for some God unknown reason.
A friend is coming over to find out why the old puter is failing to launch. He's a computer techno geek and he's doing it for free. Friends like that are rare, especially since Best buy said the miniimun diagnosis fee is 189.00 + tax. We'll host Dan to a meal even if he can't fix it. Haven't seen him for awhile.

Adrian - You know my heart and prayers are with you guys. I remember when we chatted last about your Granddad and haven't said a word to anyone. All our best to you, Tink, Minette and Lego.

Glenn - I heard about those kind of parties. I'm old school like you. Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Marc - Isn't it a joy to live here? My son treated us to Mucho Burrito last night. Spicy chicken for one flavor and Root Beer Beef for the other. I have to admit that I prefer the traditional pulled pork or beef with guacamole. The spicy chicken one needed to come with a fire extinguisher.

Jim - 45/44?? I guess it depends on the course being dry or not.

Mike - Good luck figuring out what the lettering is under that paint on the DUK
Old October 1st, 2018, 12:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Week two of the dreaded paperwork. There were two days worth waiting for me and I still got it done in under an hour. Then this afternoon someone was using my computer so I couldn't do the latest stack. Eh, it will just take a few minutes in the morning.

Beautiful out. It was raining when I went in this morning. We should have the cruise in tonight, who knows. I'm gonna head over there. I should leave early and pick up the Toad. It isn't really cruise in ready, it needs a good bath.

I need to find an effective way to get all that paint off the DUKW, but only one layer at a time. I tried Scotchbrite and acetone, that didn't do squat. I might see if I can find a water based stripper and water it down and try that. I know others have had luck getting to the original markings, so I should be able to.

Adrian don't tell me the Equinox is a bad car, that's what I want to get for my Mom. Few Capitva's over here but they are different than the Equinox.

Got some puttering to do around here before I leave. Maybe the 67 W30 will be there, I haven't seen it in a long time.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old October 1st, 2018, 01:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hey Allan I just found out the twin to my new DUKW is about two hours from you, in Red Deer AB. Whoever owns it now bought it from a guy in Saskatchewan.

This is the one that caught fire and burned the fireman, resulting in them being taken out of service and sold.
Old October 1st, 2018, 09:11 PM

The Equinox and Captiva are basically the same vehicle, Same platform. The Saturn Vue is where the Captiva came from. After they killed off Saturn, that vehicle was re badged as the Captiva in the U.S., It used that name in other markets, but in the U.S. it was for fleet sales only (rentals), and not available to the public as a new car purchase. After the rental companies were done with them, they then hit the used car market. I still see one or two around here on occasion.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 05:04 AM

mawn'in

Beautiful fall weahter

Mike, Glad ya dot the deuce fixed. BTW do you ever go to "Caffeine and Octane" ?

Allan, Sorry my game is in la toilet

Just MHO, the worst thing about older cars is the tires get old before they get any real mileage on them. I hate buying new tires for a car that gets driven so little but I hate to have a blow out also.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 2nd, 2018, 08:24 AM

Jim, a buddy of mine has the same problem, the tires on his '68 442 look great, but they are 12 years old, and he dosen't want to replace them. Me, being such a good friend, suggested that it was time for a set of redlines. I have a co worker with a 2002 Z06 Vette, that she and her husband are taking to Texas. It has the original tires on it. I said replace them before you go. "But they're so expensive" was her response. Not worth the risk.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 09:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
Somehow I never got here yesterday. I just got back from my walk a short while ago. I pushed it this morning and got my average time down to 17minutes 47 seconds. I was pushing it and can feel it right now. Burned 525 calories but am seeing very slow results in weight loss. I will be working out in the garage some today. I have some stuff that needs to go back to the warehouse and I need to get my big compressor installed over in the corner and get it up and running. I have to extend a 220 circuit over about 6-7 feet to accommodate it. My wife and I are taking a little trip up to Denison, Texas on Friday. It is about 70 miles north of us and there is a car show there on Saturday. I was stationed there from 1967 to 1969 when Perrin AFB was open. Our son was born there so we have some fond memories of the area. We have been through a few times over the years and only driven by the places we used to live. They have a small museum where the base used to be. It is now the municipal airport. So I have a few things to check on the Olds. The Mecom auction starts here tomorrow and I am going to try and get down there tomorrow or Friday. Hop all of you have a good day.
Glenn

Last edited by redoldsman; October 3rd, 2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 01:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

My Gawd, it's Tuesday already!

Pretty coolish at -3 here in Elsinore this morning. It warmed up somewhat since then but I still had frost all over the car that needed to be cleared before I could head out for curling practice.

Jim - sorry to hear about the terlot game. Mebbe it will change when the leaves are on the ground?

Glenn - that's what I had to do when I put in my big 60 gallon compressor. Only I had to run the wire from the load center out to the garage. I don't think I use it enough lately to justify having bought it. But back then I really needed it for my sandblaster. It has such wonderful delivery psi and it has a quick cycle time from cut-in to cut-off. Good job on the walks and weight loss.

Dan - I have a set of 225/70/14's on the Cutlass that are 32 years old and look like the day they were made. Last time they rolled though was in 2011. Since then I bought some BFG's same size and have them on a separate set of rims. The old ones are just for rollers in the garage now.

Mike - go figure. That's quite a distance those two got separated. i bet the shipping to SK was horrendous, and the shipping from SK to AB was also probably not cheap. Maybe message the guy and see if he has paint on his lettering? Sounds like you have your work cut out for you to get just the surface layer off, depending on how long it's been baking on there.

Well I said I'd help out with a local by-election and tomorrow I have a meet with the peeps who need the help. Somehow I got the job of organizing it and finding volunteers to man the polls and counting stations afterwards. It pays pretty decent too.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 03:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I think I took twenty mini naps today, nodding off while doing nothing. I did get a handful of paperwork to sign off which lasted a huge 15 minutes.

Allan according to Google, the truck's first trek from New York to SK was about 2000 miles, and from there to Red Deer only 800 miles. Still that's quite a haul. Glad I didn't pay that shipping bill.

Dan I wouldn't have guessed the Captiva and Equinox were the same. The E seems bigger. I chose it because it's almost exactly the same dimensions as Mom's Aura, just a little taller. I haven't taken a close look at the newest one, because they're 30K and I'm not buying one of them.

Jamesbo there's a couple of those cars & coffee things around, but I've never been. Are you allowed to just go and see the cars? I don't have anything nice to show off.

Glenn you don't want to lose a bunch of weight all at once, it will give you gall stones. Also it will be easier to gain it back if apathy sets in. My health nut neighbor told me you should lose about 2% of your weight a month.

Okay gonna fix something to eat and then start the wind down for the evening. Didn't do OT this morning but will try for it tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:11 AM

Thanks Allan, much appreciated mate.
I was pretty sure the captiva and exuinox were basically the same car Mike. I might be wrong but I’d do some homework first that’s for sure. Captiva’s over here are such crap, unreliable SUV’s.
Next Monday you might find the exit to the torlet Jim and get on the right side of zero 😉
Weather is starting to warm up here so think about us when you’re saying how cold you are Allan LOL
Take it easy everyone,
Adrian
Old October 3rd, 2018, 04:48 AM

mawn'in

Another beautiful day

My new puter has a black keyboard [ my old one was a brushed chrome] and I can't see the cotton picking thing

Headed to the dermatologist A-gain. I'm gonna find out if they do warranty work. Freezing a skin tag didn't work a few weeks ago. I see another bill in my very near future

Then, I'm headed to the big city to take some food to a sick friend

Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:38 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

No work for me until almost 2. Well, only two more days of this. Then I don't have to worry about it for another two months.

At 2:18 sharp I got the president's emergency test message. I thought maybe he would include a tweet. I feel very safe now.

That guy with the convertible with the ugly interior texted me last night. I had said if I were interested it would be around 7K, he said no. So last night he said I could have it at 7 because he really needs to get rid of it. I said I would be interested if I didn't just buy something else. Hm.

Adrian what makes the Captiva such a dog? I know the 4 cylinder is turbocharged and I've heard the turbos have some trouble(great, I have a turbo 4cyl) but the V6 I haven't heard anything about. I think they are also like the Traxx but it's a little shorter.

Jamesbo I have several skin tags that need to come off, I just haven't gotten around to doing it. Nasty little buggers. The doctor I go to has this little wand attached to the wall that burns things off. Smells funny but I don't feel anything.

I think I need to go to the store and get some things. I was in a hurry at Walmart the other day and didn't get everything I need. Then of course got into the longest line that moved the slowest. When I saw the cashier I knew why. She moved as slow as molasses, and also has to tell every person her life story. I may try someplace different, I'm fed up with Walmart.

Okay gonna do something, Walmart or otherwise. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 03:41 PM

Morning all,
Hope your friend is feeling better soon Jim. You know you can more then likely plug your old keyboard into the new computer if you wanted to mate, then you wouldn't have to play hide and seek with your new one
I've had 3 friends who combined have had 4 Captiva's and all of them had issues. 1st one had the transmission go with less then 100k on it (KM not Miles) second also had transmission problems as well as other electrical issues and the last two had turbo issues. When we bought Tinks Mini when we came back from Canada even the car sales guy said he wouldn't do trade ins on the things as he only ever broke even with them lol. For me just a no go. I haven't heard anything bad about the Trax, yet. Different engines Captiva vs Trax as well. As the Trax is smaller they didn't think it needed such a big engine I guess.
Have fun with those skin tags fellas. I've got one but have no plans of getting it burnt off as it's under my arm
Overcast today and the kids want to go swimming. Will see how the day progresses.
Take care everybody,
Adrian
Old October 3rd, 2018, 05:13 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good afternoon!
Not much happening in my world, trying to diagnose a funny noise coming from my winter beater, a 2001 LeSabre. It sounds like a bearing, either a water pump or what I don't know yet. It's definitely coming from the front passenger's side, so it has to be one of the rolling members. So if it makes it to the weekend I'll have to take the belt off and start spinning things to figure it out.
Typical that the winter beater starts to fail at the onset of winter.

Allan, - by-election? Around here? Didn't hear of one...as for enjoying the weather around here, well, don't get me started...I tend to suffer from SADS anyway, and this is just setting things up earlier. That's why I have so many expensive hobbies, just to keep my mind off of stupid stuff like that, if I lived in the tropics I think I'd be OK but comfortably numb; - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Adrian, - I wasn't aware that the Captiva came with a turbo. As far as I can remember GM has had trouble making them reliable. Perhaps a normally aspirated one with a bigger motor?

Mike:, - Wait the guy with the convertible out; - string him along for a year or so and you'll get it for half. It sounds like you were the only "live wire", so you're in the driver's seat, - you can call the shots. Good position to be in. You might get the car for less than you originally figured.

Jamesbo, - doesn't sound like you're having too much fun; - sorry to hear that. I can empathize though, the skin tags are nauseating and unsightly; - I had my family doctor tell me they were a result of my Scottish DNA, - I told him that was impossible, I have the ****-issued documents to prove that there wasn't any potential of any Scottish blood being in my system period. If that clown honestly believes that DNA thing, I have wonder what else he believes, that explains why he pushes inordinate amounts of pills, I think I'm gonna look for another doctor, one who is actually smart.

Well, back to the expensive hobbies; - last night I rescued a rare early American made Elgin (1875) pocket watch that was sold on the English market.It actually had me stumped, it wouldn't move the hands after I had cleaned and rebuilt it. Figured out that the cannon pinion (the main shaft through a watch that holds the hands) relies on friction to move the hands, I had it freewheeling and too loose. Now it's ticking away happily on my desk and keeping perfect time...I love it when a plan comes together!

Have a great evening everyone!
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:33 PM

Hmm, hit a high of 83° today, but wait, it was a taunt, as tomorrows high will be 61°, down to 56° by 5pm. Gonna do an online search for all terrain tires, so's I can do a little light off roading.
Old October 4th, 2018, 05:18 AM

mawn'in

Cool mawn'ins with with warm afternoons

Got 3 families coming today

Mike, Ya need to bring that thing to the lake, I've got a sand blaster up there or come borrow it and take it home to your shop

Old October 4th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful and hot out. It almost feels like Siberia at work because the AC is on all the time, it's like 60* in there. Step outside and man, I wish I had a convertible to drive around in. Maybe I should call that guy back with the 67.

Adrian are the engines and transmissions in your Holden cars sourced locally or is the whole car built here and shipped there? I may have to rethink my wanting an Equinox. Or get one and drive the snot out of it for a year before I give it to my Mom to make sure it doesn't have problems.

Jamesbo is your sand blaster a cabinet or just the hand held one? Heck I'd rent it from you. I would use the hell out of one of those.

Expensive hobbies Marc? You should see some of the things I drag home. Literally and figuratively. Eh, you can't take it with you. Hm. That's what I need, is a pyramid.

Gonna wash the dog mobile today after 4, then finish getting the place ready for company. I've been trying to call my friend to see what address he has on his drivers license. Whatever his ID says has to match his boarding document exactly. He isn't one to answer his phone much, so I'm going to put down his parents' address. He probably won't have any trouble in Columbus, but going back home not so sure. Atlanta airport is kind of a pain.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone. One more then the weekend.
Old October 4th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Humpday is almost done!

Day started off kind of slow. It was pretty cold (-6) so I didn't feel like going out. I just couched a bit and watched the horror of the morning news. And I wasn't disappointed. Used to be the news was something bright and cheerful with cool informative stories about how well something was going or plans for a great improvement in infrastructure or tax reductions.....Hahahahaha I must really be dating myself because I can remember the newscast when it was black and white and the news anchor was an old guy who actually read the news from a paper script he held in his hands. Every so often he would look up to the camera to let us know he could memorize at least a few words in advance. I don't care if he did or didn't. Back then it was more like listening to the radio. Nowadays news is sooooo visual and the script that goes with it is unnecessarily redundant. Sheesh I can't believe I remember all that stuff.

Adrian - ^^^ sounds kinda airy-fairy doesn't it? No worries, I probably am. Don't get the idea I don't like the cold; well actually I don't like it to be around for so long, it's just that we've had almost a summer like Oz even though I wouldn't be caught dead outside in budgie smugglers.

Well this turned into a Thursday type of thread. I forgot to send it last night.

So what's new today? Curling at the Granite with some seniors who can barely stand on their own. I'm not that impressed. When there's only 2 real curlers on the team I can't see how any wins are in our future. Today was a wasted 8-2 loss and that was only after the 5th end. The play clock was imaginary in some peoples mind.

Marc - the by election isn't muni. It's for a union. One of their reps resigned and moved away. Their constitution requires the position to be filled within 120 days of the vacancy.

I didn't sleep well last night and feel like I'm dragging a piano around. To boot, the missus scheduled carpet cleaning today. It was spoda get done between 10-12. Hahahaha, yeah buddy. It's almost 1:45 here right now and they haven't even had the courtesy to call and apologize for being late. I think we should cancel and do this another day. In the meantime she has destructed the place and re-positioned a lot of furniture to accommodate those bastards.

Jim - there's an easy way to get rid of skin tags and it's mostly free. All you need is some 10lb mono-filament fishing line. Make a loop and circle the offending tag. Then draw the loop closed tightly. It cuts off circulation to the tag and it will fall off in about 2 days. I had one that was fair size on my waist and did that process. Worked like a charm and it nebber came back. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Anyone use a Sodastream machine? I saw them on sale at Walmart but when I dropped in on the way back from curling they were sold out, in spite of the store posting info that they were in stock. It's gotta be less expensive than buying pop?
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Always room for one more

Allan I do hope you don't even have any budgie smugglers!
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

At my age, I like stuff that fits loose.
Old October 4th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:

My apologies for being lazy this week and missing a couple days. We just got back a short while ago from the weekly football game with the oldest grandson being in the band. The team won and are the only undefeated team in the district. The band's halftime show was very impressive. I got my air compressor moved over into the corner yesterday and the 220 circuit extended over about 7 feet. I have ordered an inline filter and dryer. It is pretty cool having the big tank. I aired the tires up on my Olds yesterday and the compressor never came on. As previously mentioned my wife and I are heading up to Denison tomorrow. It is just a one night getaway but will be fun to go back and reminisce. It is an easy drive. We plan on going to the museum where Perrin AFB was and I want to go and drive across the Lake Texoma Dam with the top down. We will visit the Eisenhower birthplace if we have time. We were last there about 50 years ago. It is a small town so you run out of things to do pretty quickly. I will probably post on Sunday. Have a good weekend guys.
Glenn
Old October 4th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Oh no, not again...

So I decided to take tomorrow off, I have to take a look at the LeSabre anyway. Sounds like a waterpump is on the way out or maybe the idler. Not sure until I get the load off and actually start spinning things by hand. At least tomorrow I can tool around in one of the convertibles, - typical, trust a 50 year old car to work while the modern one is getting fixed, - again. If I had a buck for each time I was forced to rely on an antique while my reliable modern car was laid up I'd be rich.

Allan, I have a Sodastream. I use it just for water, I don't mix anything else into it because the jugs are murder to clean up. Yes, it is cheaper than Perrier. The refill bottles cost around $25 and they last about 60 bottles, so around 60 litres. It just depends how fizzy you want things.
As for budgie anything and loose fitting whatevers, the visuals are disturbing.

The only thing more frustrating than modern cars are 150 year old English watches. Got one on the bench here that absolutely refuses to run, and the other runs, but quits after a few minutes. Either way, there's some issue going on deep within the damn thing that will require letting the chain down and taking it all apart again. (expletives deleted) It would be the third time on each...
Old October 4th, 2018, 10:35 PM

Afternoon all,
Just got back from taking the kids to the park. There is a shop at the local shopping center that opened recently that has a obstacle course for kids so I took them there first but I was less than impressed with the place so on the way home we stopped at a couple of parks and the kids got out and played there instead.
According to good old Wiki the Holden Craptiva was built in South Korea, Mexico and Russia Mike, who knew lol. Marc they only came turbo diesel or a petrol or though I rarely see the petrol models. By the looks of things Mike the Equinox only comes in a petrol version, is this correct? After some research the craptiva was released in the Americas under Saturn Vue. You only got the 5 seater version not the 7 seater as we got both over here. They also look way different then the Australian Captiva so there is a good chance they are 2 different cars and I may have been wrong. All I know is now no cars are produced locally as the labor costs are too high for the companies to make any sort of profit, that and everything else in this country cost too much to run. Hell diesel has hit $1.65 a liter now
I'd still take your summer over mine any year Allan. On top of everything else our UV index is pretty much always in the extreme category so I get burnt in 5 minutes No budgie smugglers for me either mate, they belong in the 70's and should have stayed there
Back to some more study for me, have a good day everybody,
Adrian
Old October 4th, 2018, 10:44 PM

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2009/Saturn/VUE Over here, the only difference between the two was the grill. https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2014/Chevrolet/Captiva-Sport/Utility-4D-LT-2WD-I4/Pictures

Last edited by 1969w3155; October 4th, 2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old October 5th, 2018, 04:05 AM

mawn'in

Another pretty day ahead

Got an early funeral then headed norte.

Mike, you're welcome to sand blast to your hearts content. Jes come and get it. It's a big one and I've never used it. It's jes collecting dust

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old October 5th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone

Yesterday afternoon was a bust. The cleaners didn't call and didn't show up so my missus called them. Over the phone they're so apologetic and promised the guy would be there asap. He calls about 10 minutes later and says he'll be here around 3:15. Nope, doesn't show till 3:35. When he gets here he doesn't even apologize for being late and has a real attitude so we decided that with that combination he probably won't do a good job just because he's pissed. We told him to leave, and then called the company back and told them about our experience. Again, on the phone they were very apologetic. We're rescheduled for Saturday sometime between 10-2 now, with another cleaner. Honest, some of these millennials drive me nuts with their entitled emotions. They could benefit from customer service courses.

Finally got a decent sleep, but still have that jet lag feeling.

Marc, you should have the 3800 series III in that LeSabre? Great engine. Only problem I had with my 98 3800 series II was related to cooling too - the plastic intake manifold. The lower part was a struggle to get out.. Check to see if you have coolant on top of the manifold. Idler pulley you can diagnose with an extension with the engine running. Not terribly hard to replace either.

Dan, Adrian, Mike - that looks a lot like what we have up here under the badge of TRAX Car & Driver Review - Trax

Today I'm gonna take it easy and only change the shoes on the Saturn. Have a good Friday
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Did tons of work today and got home early. The senior vice president of maintenance showed up today with his entourage and brought pizza for the shop. We haven't had any OJIs this year and no cancelations for wheels or brakes in 5 years. I would have guessed ever but hey if he needs an excuse to bring us pizza that's a good one.

My friend isn't coming this weekend, surprise surprise. His wife was at her sister's this week and wouldn't you know it they suddenly had to go to Montgomery and she wasn't going to get back in time. She couldn't even call him to tell him, she had to text. This woman is awful. Why he's stuck around all these years I have no idea. She obviously did that on purpose so he couldn't come here. Eh, I'm used to it. It's a regular occurrence. So I have the weekend to myself not bad.

Jamesbo I'll give you a call soon and we'll figure something out. You'll be able to see this place from space, I'll have everything blasted clean and gleaming.

Well I'll go find something to get into. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:24 AM

Well, the rain is lasting longer than the weatherman said that it would, so I won't be cutting down a ornamental shrub like I wanted. We have that Trax here too Allen. They are smaller than the Activa/Vue/Equinox. They share that platform with the Buick Encore. Probably going to get a set of Nokians for the Santa Fe, I was interested in the B.F.G. Rugged Terrian, but mediocre ratings, and not available in my tire size.
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, are you going to get all weather tires or all season? I see they have 2 versions: the WR G4 and the WR G3 and then there's the all well known Hakkapeliitta series of winter grips.
Old October 5th, 2018, 11:44 AM

All Terrain Allan. The Rotiiva AT https://www.nokiantires.com/all-seas...an-rotiiva-at/
Old October 5th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good evening!

Well, got some work done today, it was nice and sunny out, but a little cool, perfect weather to putz around in and not break a sweat.
Checked out the LeSabre, yes, it's a 3800 series 3, it has 260,000 km on it (160,000 miles) and it's been a total sweetheart so far. It still looks good, just starting to rust at the doglegs, and it has every option available in a LeSabre that year. So the problem is the A/C compressor, it's either a clutch or a bearing. Took the belt off and spun things, and even though there was a Vac-truck roaring away about 3 houses over I could feel and hear the high pitched grinding when I spun the clutch. Here's what's funny; I put the belt back on, ran the car up, it made the noise for a second or two and then quit. Same thing about 3 hours later. So, since an A/C compressor is one thing I can't fix, I'm going to have to pay some money and get a pro to look at it. I just hope it isn't the front bearing on the compressor itself and I've shot the whole A/C system full of filings.
So instead, I changed all the burned out light bulbs. I was lucky, I had a whole box of those little dash light bulbs, which were exactly the ones I needed. At least something positive.
Took both convertibles out, and took the Wildcat for an oil change. Mr Lube doesn't have filters for a 430 Buick, in fact, there are none in Sherwood Park, and I didn't have a spare. You gotta be kidding me! That is a common Purolator PF-33 filter, standard size on all Buick big blocks from 1967 to 1976, and even beyond, when ever the 350 Buick or the old 231 Buick were used. They used to be as common as grass; now not anymore. Anyway, the car was happier for the oil change, it genuinely felt peppier and it was quieter. It was good to take the car out for a run today.
Some of you might remember that the oiling system on a big Buick was it's "Achilles Heel", they were terrible, and Oldsmobile definitely did it better then. The Buick had the pump located up front in the timing cover, which was aluminum, and the gears are steel. Put that combination together in winter and now you know why Buick engines have disappeared. So it's crucial to maintain good oil and good oil pressure on those things, and mine was definitely letting me know it wanted a change and now.
Also managed to sort out my tools and the tool box. Now I have bench space again, which I'm sure my better half will fill up with horse related crap. Even though I live in a suburb, my garage smells like a barn.
And then, I rebuilt one of the 150 year old English watches. Now it is running happily and holding time on my desk. I had to re-tension the damn chain, which meant stripping 3/4 of it apart again. But it's done, and with luck, I'll never have to go into it again. I now understand why the English watch industry went from the best to the worst inside a decade; - American watch makers figured out all the stupid problems inherent in the English design and rendered it obsolete. The English, banking on tradition and craftsmanship as opposed to mass production and better design, watched their market share evaporate inside a decade in the 1870s.
Anyway; - going to take it easy tonight, probably watch a stupid East German TV series about their national airline made just before the Wall came down. I bought the CD set and it's actually been a lot of fun to watch. OK, I'm a nerd...a history nerd no less...

Have a good evening all, and now to "Treffpunkt Flughafen"...Wiedersehen!
Old October 6th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Got the Saturn prepped for winter yesterday. I washed and scrubbed the wheels that came off before they go into winter hibernation. I've read that leaving brake dust on a wheel isn't good for it and now they look pretty darn clean. Not quite like new but darn close. Today I'm going to install a new frost bib on the side of the house. The original is close to 20 years old and it's started to leak a bit. When I install the new one I'll also install a shutoff valve inside to thwart the kids who come by and turn it on as a prank.

Marc - I had over 320K on my series II before it started causing any problems. My 95 Regency Elite was loaded with all the options too. I miss it but it kept rusting out on the rocker panel and dog legs. I had the metal replaced once but the cancer came back. I found out 'by accident' when I was jacking up the car to change winter tires out and the jack went through the lower pinch weld like it was paper and took out a brake line in the process. Why don't you go to the boneyard and pick up a replacement pump? Pick and Pull has 7 of them in the yard and 2 of them are 2001, the rest are 2000 and 2002. Very likely the same part for everything from 93 up. You'd still have to get the AC system recharged.