The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

So that's your motivation to get the wheels on the ground for 2019??

I guess you must be used to the heat and smell of asphalt. That's a brutal job and I've often wondered how road crews were able to take it. Must have plenty of water breaks?

In North America, dryers are a 'must have' in almost every household. The last time I remember clothes being pinned to a line was my Grandmother (who had a line that was - no lie - almost 100' long) and my Mom who believed that even fresh frozen clothes in the winter were better than a dryer. Uh huh, compare putting on fresh frozen shirts and ones fresh out of a warm dryer and you'll be sold on the dryer every time.
Old August 18th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Actually no. I keep my working clothes outside of heated part of our house- nothing wakes you up like a frozen clothes on top of you at 0430am

And its not a smell, its a fragrance to me. It smells good! Sure way to tell spring is there, when you get first smell of asphalt to your nose! Dont know about brutality; ive used to it; but reality is that noone wants to this job. Even they pay really good. Its just a way of life i quess?
Old August 18th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Inline
Actually no. I keep my working clothes outside of heated part of our house- nothing wakes you up like a frozen clothes on top of you at 0430am

And its not a smell, its a fragrance to me
You sir are one tough guy. I know what putting on cold stuff is like when I used to go back country ski touring in the mountains. Not everything can fit into a sleeping bag and a snow bivouac isn't all that big to work in.

Fragrance?? Hahahahaha, that's funny. What do you slap on for a date with the missus? Eaux de Asphalt?
Old August 18th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Allan, the only thing I remember liking about a clothesline was the way fresh sheets smelled. I guess it was the sunshine. I did love that.
Old August 18th, 2018, 01:43 PM

the only thing I remember liking about a clothesline was the way fresh sheets smelled
I gotta agree. My mom used to hang the sheets on a clothesline even after getting a dryer in the mid 60's. Smelled great. Jouni, you have the plaid fabric on your Cutlass seats, not a common option, I have only seen that in a couple of Cutlasses from the mid 70's, two or three times. Good friends of mine bought Samsung appliances a few years ago, stove, fridge, dishwasher and microwave. They replaced all of them within two years.
Old August 18th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm, I notice fresh sheets on the bed everytime. Doesn't need to be off the clothesline to notice the clean smell and crispness. Of course I sweat a fair bit at night - so my missus tells me and she would know since she washes everything. I think she throws away my pillows on average 2 every 3 months....
Old August 18th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Always room for one more

Well it was an uneventful ride to Florida today. Gas prices are about 20c higher than home. Spent the afternoon at my sister's new house, so there was no work to be done. I got two posts and 4 bags of Quickcrete and that will get me started tomorrow.

Smoke must still be in Canada.

I'm beat. Even the horribly uncomfortable bed in the guest room will feel good tonight. Though the pickup does ride nicer on the highway than the dogmobile.

Have a good night everyone.
Old August 18th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Smoke must still be in Canada..
Yes, the western province of BC is in a state of emergency. The extent of the fires and smoke can be seen from space
Old August 18th, 2018, 10:42 PM

Good Morning everyone. Its rainy outside, and everyone else is Still sleeping. Im just browsing web and drinking coffee here.

Yesterday evening i did something i would have never believed to be doing year ago. I went to cabinet, took all booze out of there and poured them to sewer. Friday i fell asleep during evening after one rum, and almost same thing yesterday. I have better things to do than sleep those few evenings im at home on summer i decided. No worries, beers are on fridge still

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I gotta agree. My mom used to hang the sheets on a clothesline even after getting a dryer in the mid 60's. Smelled great. Jouni, you have the plaid fabric on your Cutlass seats, not a common option, I have only seen that in a couple of Cutlasses from the mid 70's, two or three times. Good friends of mine bought Samsung appliances a few years ago, stove, fridge, dishwasher and microwave. They replaced all of them within two years.
Nice to know i have something rare. Sadly, the Arizona did its doings to my interior, and despite my rear seats looking pristine, they almost crack from touch of finger, and the fabric has also started to deteoriate. Same story on front seats.

As ive told few times, i hate to sit on those swivel seats, gets my back aching. Find some interesting seats finally that could do it, 2002 Camaro seats with high-back wouldnt look too out of Place with new upholstery coloured to rest of interior.

You want a fresh Picture of clothesline? Just having it full of clothes on yard. And its the norm here

Okay, have a day all!
Old August 19th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Mawn'in

Howdy from de hills, Wish I could stay a month

Inline, Johnny Cash had a song " Lay off the whiskey and let that cocaine be"

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 19th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain. Not totally unexpected but an annoyance nonetheless.

Thought about painting. I'll wait until this afternoon to see if I can do anything outside. It isn't raining right now but could start up again.

Jamesbo if you stayed in the hills a month you'd miss the two day wedding. Hm.

Okay gotta find something to do. Have a good day everyone.
Old August 19th, 2018, 10:53 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by slantflat

Jamesbo if you stayed in the hills a month you'd miss the two day wedding.
Mike, You're a pretty smart fella, I bet it don't take you long to closely examine a hot horse shoe
Old August 19th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon,

It's cleared up here today. Only minor haze and no heavy smoke smell.

Not much on the agenda. I should cut the grass but I'm feeling kind of 'meh'

Jouni - Those swivel seats were a big thing back in the day. Too bad they don't work for you. Are you going to re upholster the car and put in new front seats?
Old August 19th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Olds Friends:
Not too much worth telling this afternoon. It was a pretty easy day today. I worked in the garage for a short while with my big wall mounted fan on. I took the carb off the good Sea Doo to clean the fuel screen out in it. That is something you have to do about every other year. If I was keeping it I think I would throw it away and install some kind of good inline filter. I am going to replace the two little oil lines on the oil injector pump. They are very small clear tubing. One fell off when I touched it. These are the ones that broke off on the other Sea Doo and resulted in a burned up engine. I should get that back together tomorrow and get these things ready for Craigslist before Labor Day.
Allan I did cook some nice T-Bones on the Weber this afternoon. I use my electronic (Bluetooth) probes. When they say 150 degrees, it is time to take them off for a pink center. I got them on sale at Kroger yesterday for $5.77/pound. They turned out very nice.
That is about it. Hope everybody has a good week.
Glenn
Old August 19th, 2018, 05:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - Outstanding!! That's a great price for T bones, especially if you got the ones with the large tenderloin. I like them to be about 1 1/2 - 2" thick for best results.

You and I seem to be the ones who like grilling. I made pork tenderloin kebabs (poke cube, onjun, green pepper, cherry mater...repeat as desired. The poke was nicely marinated in an Italian seasoning. Came off the grill just begging to be eaten!
Old August 19th, 2018, 08:55 PM

A grilling day indeed! Picked up a couple of porterhouse steaks @ $5.69lb when grocery shopping, threw one on the grill. Had some tater salad and garlic toast to go with it.. Washed it down with a Bell's Lager of the Lakes. Well, once again heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow night and Wednesday, 2" plus forecast, we'll have to see if it is another bust or not.
Old August 20th, 2018, 03:07 AM

Mawn'in

Tis Monday so guess what?

Anyone ever get a bone in fillet?

BTW the perfect way to finish off a steak is with steak paint [liquid steak grease, salt, pepper, and garlic salt ]brush on hot right off the grill

Old August 20th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Beautimus start to the day. Only spoda go up to around 70 today - I'll take it.

I'm kind of ticked at Scott's premium cedar mulch. I bought a whack of the stuff so I could do the side of the house where nothing grows. I prepped the area properly including putting down landscape fabric. Then I spread out the mulch in a layer about 3" deep. It smelled really bad for a few days mostly because of the chemicals they use to color the mulch. Now in the morning I'm finding mushrooms growing in some of the mulch. WTH? Cedar is spoda be a natural fungicide. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Jim - better luck today. I'm gonna say 45/44. Don't be comin back with a 48 on the back side, y'hear?

Dan - sounds like at least 3 of us had the same plans yesterday for dinner. Hope your forecast for wet comes true, but not as a cloudburst. It would be nicer to get it as a steady soaking rain.
Old August 20th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well we had rain pretty much the rest of the day yesterday, and this morning had a nice downpour right when we thought it was going to be nice. Now the sun is out but I'm not sure it will be enough to dry up where I want to work.

Went to get my trailer today. I have never met so many inept Uhaul people. Went to the place I had it reserved, they said my reservation had changed to a different place. The guy gave me the wrong directions. Got to the place and they said no it's the one down the street. Finally got it and I'll load the car this afternoon.

I'd head home today but the family wants to have dinner tonight. It was my Mom's birthday Friday so this is the day everyone can get together. Ah well, that will be nice. I'll leave early tomorrow so I can get home in plenty of time to get Tiger and get the car situated.

Hope everyone has a good Monday.
Old August 20th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning Guys:
I just got back from my morning walk. I added some to it this morning and went at least 2 miles. I have committed to keep this up. I have my annual physical on Wednesday. I have already had the blood work done and came out better than a 72 year old overweight guys should.
I have to go and get some small clear line that goes on the oil injector on the Sea Doo. I am replacing the lines on the remaining good Sea Doo while I have the carb off.
Jim, the steak paint sounds good but I will have a hard time catching the grease on my grill.
Mike, have a safe return trip.
Allan, sounds like you are going to have a good day at 70 degrees.
Not too much else going on today. Have a good day guys.
Glenn
Old August 20th, 2018, 11:39 AM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

congrats Allan

Er, ya are spose to make the steak paint ahead of time with fat trimmings
Old August 20th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Now I understand where you are getting your fat grease and it makes perfect sense. I will try that one the next time.

Thanks

Glenn
Old August 21st, 2018, 03:03 AM

Mawn'in

Not many cross fit guys up and werking out I see

Old August 21st, 2018, 03:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Smoke haze is spose to be bad yet again today. Funny the temps aren't real high but it seems hotter. The nights sure are cooling off tho. Bout 20F less than a month ago.

Put electric fans on Brit this weekend. Trying to keep her cool when stuck in traffic with the A/C on. Now the alternator won't keep up. Now I'm looking for an upgrade solution for that problem.

Mike, sent you a message on FB about a 70 bumper. Not sure if you are apart of that group or if you can see the post. LMK.

Have a day all.
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Cross fit? WTH is that? Doesn't come anywhere close to the definition of retirement or leisure IMO.

The smoke isn't that bad here today. Yesterday it was slight but also not bad. Currently it's about 45° outside so I opened the windows to let in some of the nice cool air.

How many amps are you looking to upgrade to Clint? If Brit still has the old DN connector I guess you'll have to modify for an SI?

On my walk yesterday I saw the geese had moved to a new territory and all the goslings are now huge full fledged potential table offerings. One of the guard geese caught my attention. Not because it was aggressive - but it was wearing a band on it's right leg. It's been caught and tagged by conservation I guess. Since I'm not a hunter, does that mean that anyone who bags that goose has to report it to Wildlife?

Glenn - I have my Dr. appt on Thorsday. Need new scripts for all my meds and also wish my Dr of over 25 yrs a happy retirement. Also need to discuss my insulin. My plan will no longer cover me in 3 years so I need to start looking at alternatives that are covered under seniors benefits. Good luck tomorrow on your physical.
Old August 21st, 2018, 12:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago. Uneventful trip, which is always appreciated. Got the car tucked away at the shop and came home to check on things before I go get Tiger.

Thanks Clint I'll have a look this evening when I can devote a little time to facebook.

Can't wait to see Tiger. We might have to stop at the Awful house on the way home. Good evening everyone.
Old August 21st, 2018, 09:14 PM

Well, the rain was a big miss for me, as we got .66" as opposed to the 2" plus that they forecast. That amount actually hit about 100 miles East of here, with one town near Mt. Pleasant, Mi. getting over 5" of rain. We will see the effect of it as they are near the headwaters of the Muskegon river, which ends here, dumping into Muskegon Lake. I doubt that we will have any flooding, just high water in the river flats, along with stirred up silt, mucking it up for any fishing going on for a few days.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 03:01 AM

Mawn'in

Busy day yesterday at the cemetery and it's gonna be busier today.

Cutting hey [or excess land] mowing cemetery, pruning hedges, laying out a grave for a Saturday funeral and 2 more families coming by today

Daylights burning [not really it's fix'in to start burning]

Mike, What's Tiger's favorite off the Aweful House Menu??

Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:29 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, I'm actually going with a CS130D so 105 amp. Even the SI's don't do real well as far as low RPM amperage. The CS can put out close to 80A at idle.

Jamesbo, Sorry to hear business is so good.

Dan, We got a pretty good rain yesterday. measured .25" at the house. That way I don't have to turn the sprinkler on the front yard where we've planted new grass seed.

Welp just got a text Mom's in the ER. Gotta go.

Have a day.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:58 AM

Not much to report. Heard a helicopter flying around here for awhile, which means the Coast Guard was perhaps responding to a call at Lake Michigan. Hopefully nothing bad came of it.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 09:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning All:

I just got back from my morning walk a few minutes ago. I am probably going about 2 miles and walking about 46 minutes. I have as long way to go but believe I can keep it up. I have my physical today at 2:30. The biggest thing I have to ask the doctor about is the arthritis in my hands. Funny that the middle finger on both hands is the stiffest. I had ordered an air bumper jack from Northern Tool and it has arrived at the store. Since I have no room for a lift I figured I could use this to get the car up higher. The six ton jack stands will extend to almost 2 feet. At that height I won't rub my belly or bump my head on the bottom of the car. I have two of the six ton stands and need to get two more. I have to rearrange some stuff in my garage to make room for this jack. I am about t finish up on the Sea Doos. I need to get them sold and out of my garage. It is going to be back in the mid to upper 90's again today. We are supposed to get smoke for the Canadian and northwestern US today. Crazy weather patterns. Have a good day guys.

Glenn
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:30 AM

Clint, How your mom is Ok

Glenn, Try Bio freeze on your hands [not the roll on the cream]
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:02 AM
CQR

Update: Mom's going in for a cholecystectomy at 2:30. So it could be worse.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 12:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Clint hope your Mom does okay. I had to look that word up. My sister had that done, she doesn't seem any worse for wear. She had terrible pain for years and never said anything. Hm.

So I really went to town today. Signed off 21 wheels in a row, and before lunch, until the contract wheels started coming in. I still can't sign them off, waiting on the class. We're starting at 4 tomorrow, because there's a shindig at work and if we finish early we can go to the shindig and not have to come back. Which most people take to mean we can go home extra early. Whatever.

Glenn we had an ancient bumper jack in the auto shop when I was in high school. Which would make it ultra ancient now. The teacher wouldn't let us use it because the wrecks that we brought in to work on he said the bumper bolts would shear when the weight of the car was on them. I always thought it was a great idea. Not that it would be particularly useful these days on the plastic bumper cars.

Jamesbo the only thing Tiger gets is a hamburger. I'm sure he'd love the Bacon Lovers BLT, or the pork chops, or the steak. Or anything that he could get his chompers on.

Well, gonna take the trailer back today, it's a day early but I don't have time to mess around moving cars so I might as well get rid of it. And besides that if I wait until after work tomorrow it will be late and I'll get gigged. I might take a couple checks to the bank that have been laying around as well.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 04:39 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Okay guys, I have tried to post twice this afternoon and screwed it up both times. I will update tomorrow. Have a good afternoon.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 09:17 PM

Ack! Got the letter from the County. Jury Duty. Dammit, forth time that I have been selected. It is supposed to be a random selection based on licensed drivers. I don't buy it.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:37 AM

Mawn'in

Boy, I'd hate to trust my fate to 12 peers that couldn't get out of jury duty. Just act smart, you'll be excused immediately

Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Morning everyone.

Dr. appointment this mawnin so I guess I best clean up. Last visit with this Dr as retirement looms in early Oct. Mebbe I'll get a referral to another one. We'll see.

Dan - What Jim said. Either that or tell them you're incapable of giving an unbiased opinion.

Mike - where's the pics of that Valiant??
Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:14 AM

I'll just wear my aluminum foil hat.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:52 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

There and back already. There was a thing in the hangar today that was set up when we got there at 4, so a bunch of us went to get our food then. After we got cut loose I just came home. We did an extraordinary amount of work yesterday so we could do that. Going in early wasn't much different than the regular time, so heck I might do it again.

Allan I've got to get the Valiant registered so I'll do that this afternoon, and take a picture. It sure is a looker.

So here's a question for the knowledgeable. I'm going to redo Tiger's room back into a nice room, as Tiger doesn't seem to need to be corralled while I'm at work. Should I go back with carpeting, since it will be a bedroom, or should I do a nice floor such as hardwood or laminate. Well it won't be laminate because that stuff looks like $hit. I don't think tile would be a good look for a bedroom.

Hm, lunch. I think Tiger wants to go to Awful house since we have most of the day. I do need to go that direction. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Clint how's Mum?