The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo you know Alan Jackson used to have an Amphicar. Maybe he still has it. You should ask him at the next neighborhood get-together.
Mike, we don't hang out together, but I did see one of his wooden boats getting pumped full of gas at the marina and some neighborhood kid saying [with a big grin] "Allan's in town" [like it was his big brother]
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't think they worry about the price of gas when he's footin de tab. Does he do the Chattahoochie water ski thing on de lake or has that died a slow death?
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Always room for one more

I guess I said that wrong. There's a chain link fence separating the yards, and the firewood, which belongs to the neighbors, is on their side. Long ago I asked if I could use some and he said take it all. So I've been slowly using wood from the pile. The middle of my yard is overgrown so I just throw it over the fence into my yard, in the overgrown part. Long story there.

If a dog does something that he likes, he will do that again and again. This dog liked being around Tiger, not so sure the feeling was mutual, and every time Tiger is out and he is out he will jump on the wood pile and jump into my yard. That will get old quick.

When all the wood is gone from that side of the fence, I'll rake and pull the weeds off the fence and clean it up nice. One of my many plans is to build a 4ft wood fence on my side of the chain link, and that will make it so the other dogs can't even see my dog. And it will look nicer from this side because I hate chain link.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:13 PM

Allan, I think you may be referring to "Shooting the Hooch" or the GREAT Chattahoochee Raft Race" It was an event of the 70's that got stopped when the river began to look like it had ice in it because of all the broken up Styrofoam Coolers. And NO I don't believe he [Allan Jackson] ever did it but then again not many who did shoot the hooch have any remote relocation of anything on that day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramblin%27_Raft_Race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsnOcy5GNM4
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - naw. I was referring to this song. My Gawd he was young then

Old August 10th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I bet he didn't have that lakehouse then or the mansion he has in Frankline, TN.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:38 PM

Oh yeah, Now Ii remember,

BUT that's really not a pic of the Hooch [poetic license] it's too rocky and narrow to water ski and the banks are too steep to drive a truck across

After readying the Wiki info on the Raft Race, I' m trying to figure out WTF they did with the 4000 cars that got towed
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'll take yer word fer it Jim. I'm not from de peach state.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Man I love Alan Jackson. Not only can he sing but he writes all his music. I read an article several years ago about his 55 (maybe 56) T-Bird. He had sold it years before his career took off. His wife found it and had it restored and gave it to him for his birthday. Amazing what you can do when you have lots of money. I wonder if he can really water ski that well.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I need his wife to adopt me....
Old August 11th, 2018, 03:06 AM

Morning sleepy heads. Guess what I'm doing today?
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dan you're going to a car show. Try to get a picture of an Amphicar for me, would you? Oh that reminds me...

So I just read that a ramp guy in Seattle flipped his lid and took off in an airplane by himself last night and flew around for an hour before he crashed. The news said he was the guy that fueled the planes and serviced the lavs, but he had to have some knowledge or he wouldn't have been able to get the engines started, much less configure the plane and get it off the ground. And it was a turbo prop, so there's the props that need to be messed with. Weird.

Yesterday I got a good half of the firewood off the chain link, and raked up a little. My neighbor came out and said, what are you doing? I said, throwing the firewood over the fence of course. She didn't think her dog would have jumped the fence again. Uh, you bet he would. There's still a place where he could climb up so I will just have to be careful to look for him before I let Tiger out. I'll try to finish the job this weekend.

Today I hope to get the black pickup worked on. I need to change the AC belt, and also the serpentine belt, and also get the oil changed, and if I have time I'll get some spark plugs for it as well. And at some point I need to get the wood for the fence project at my Mom's I'm doing next week. That may be better left for next weekend before I leave.

So what's Alan Jackson doing up by Jamesbo when he's from Newnan? Aren't there any lakes in Newnan? My plan is to be governor of Georgia. I'll have some big yacht here on my lake. I used to tell people I was going to have a seaplane and take off and land from the lake. I don't know why people would believe me.

Okay gonna get going. Lots to do today. A little hazy this morning, hope that isn't indicative of rain later. Have a good day everyone.
Old August 11th, 2018, 06:04 AM

Hello Olds friends. I haven't posted in a while, but I've been following along. Wife and I have decided to buy a huge (at least to me) lake front home. We will have to sell our house and lakefront cabin. I am dreading this. I am going to sell my Vista Cruiser also and get rid of most of my Olds parts. I don't want to move them. It will be better to have only one place. I hate selling things. This should be our last home and is much bigger than we need but it is existing and should grow in value. well a new adventure for us...
Old August 11th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Always room for one more

Happy Birthday

Old August 11th, 2018, 06:55 AM

Mawn'in

Howdy from the hills

Having a cup of Joe with Red Dog

Has anyone ever seen or tried the ice/hair dryer thing on hail damage [Mike, I seem to remember you had some damage once]

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning All:
Mike, thanks for taking us back to the good ole days. Linda Vaughn was one of the finest of the finest. I know she was a Georgia girl too. She was for sure one of those southern beauties. From everything I have read she is one very nice lady too. Hard to believe she is 75.
Jim, hope you are havening a nice weekend at the lake. Even if it was raining I would sit on the porch and enjoy the rain and scenery. I have never tried a hairdryer on dents. Eastwood has a deal that cost about $55 for removing dents. It has this little deal that use glue (hot I believe). Then you attach the puller and it is supposed to pull the dent out. Then you remove the hood from the paint and it is not supposed to harm it. I have a couple dents in my wifes Ford Flex and am considering getting one and trying it. It is a lot cheaper than the paintless dent repair.
Allan, the high temp here yesterday was about 93 degrees and we actually got rain last night and still a little bit coming down.
If the rain stops and it dries out I am going to a small local car show at the Country Burger this afternoon. That is about it Olds Friends.
Old August 11th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Always room for one more

Glenn my math tells me that Miss Vaughn was 28 when that picture was taken. I'd love to meet her some time. She's from the Atlanta area but not sure where.

Jamesbo my hail damage was paid for and hauled off. I've heard of varying successes in the hair dryer method. When did you guys get hail?

Went over to the shop and got the pickup. I screwed the license plate to the back of the new Jeep and started it up. Runs nice. Too bad I had blocked it in with various other vehicles or I would have taken it for a ride. The tires are 15 years old so I wouldn't have gone far.

Oh I went to put in a Seinfeld DVD last night and found that my color TV has bit the dust. It's only from 1983. Sound was good, picture was good, just black and white. I'm not watching TV like that. Guess I'll have to haul out the one I got from John. It isn't going to fit in my entertainment center, maybe I'll just leave it sit on the floor.
Old August 11th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike, I think Linda Vaughn was from Dalton. A TV from 1983, really. I don't think your next one will last that long. TV's are really cheap now and have become a throwaway item. Vizio is supposed to be a reasonably priced TV of pretty good quality. I haven't owned one so I can't say that for sure.
Old August 11th, 2018, 01:38 PM

Ding, ding, ding. winner, winner chicken dinner. You must be psychic Mike. Sorry, no amphicars, in fact, I haven't seen any this year. There is usually one at the Gilmore show that I attended last week. The car show (Del Shannon Memorial) had over 500 cars. We were there for about 4 1/2 hours, the humidity started to rise and we called it quits. Ran into BowtieBri there, from C.O. and Holland, Mi. My dad's cousin had a seaplane set up. He started a hunting guide service in Alaska back in the 50's, eventually he built a house on a lake up there, had a garage at water level facing the lake, and would land his guide plane on the water a taxi into the garage. He started from nothing, and did pretty well for himself. Greg, I don't envy moving, when I was in the market two years ago to buy another house, I determined real quick that I hated it.
Old August 11th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone

Chillier here today which is nice. Last night there was a light and boomer show but not much else. This morning a smattering of rain and now nuthin. Spoda rain tonight and tomorrow. I hope so because I put out some Scott's fertilizer on the lawn. It's not spoda burn but no point taking chances.

Dan - Glad you had fun at the car show. I'm guessing you'll put up a link to the pics tomorrow?

Jim - Nope. Not gonna try it either. I don't mind trying out the dent removal that doesn't damage paint. I'll get it done professionally though, so if there's any damage afterwards I just won't pay. I didn't know Red dog likes coffee BTW, are you watching golf in de hills whilst you commune wit red dog??

Greg - Congrats? I've often wondered if moving to a larger house is worth it too. If it's got lots of stairs I think you'll probably be thinking this over in future years. Hopefully you have time to consolidate or get stuff ready prior to moving. Selling car parts can be a real time consuming event. Are you going to just find someone on the site and make them a sweet offer?

Mike - Yes sir, that is a wonderful looking body, and that picture was taken on Olds 75th Anniversary year of production. Linda Vaughn also looks pretty hot. Miss Hurst seems to be setting the dress code for the woman in the background too. I think if she had a lake lot she wouldn't need a pfd as I'm sure she has some built in upper buoyancy. Spot on at 28 years old if that was taken at the 72 Indy. It was held May 27, 1972.

Glenn - I agree. TV's nowadays also weigh about 5 lbs. I thought about Vizio, but elected tor Toshiba. Price was right at $400.00 tax in for a 49" set. It's LED and the colors are really good.
Old August 11th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Not a lot of pics, too crowded. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fwmYwB4px8mFH7xY9
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Always room for one more

Dan out of that group I'd have to say a tip o' the hat goes to the Retractable. And it will tip its hat back at you.

Well it's Truck 1, Mike 1. Spent all freakin' afternoon trying to change the AC belt on the truck. I bought belts weeks ago and of course they were wrong. So I went to a different store and said, I need a belt that's 3 inches longer than this one. Well, that belt went on and was slack with the tensioner all the way up. So went back and got what they said was correct. It still took awhile to get it on because it was still a little too short. But it finally worked. I wasn't smart enough to try the serpentine belt, and of course it turned out to be too short. Oh and the serpentine belt has to come off to put the AC belt on, so every time that didn't work the S belt had to go back on to go back to the store. I finally had enough I'll get it done tomorrow.

Greg good luck on the move. I hate to think what it would take to move all this mess. Last time I tried to buy property I went at it like I was buying a car. I wanted to offer and counter offer and shake hands and be done in an afternoon. Oh no, the realtors had to go back and forth, things needed to be signed, we had to wait on attorneys. Everyone was sick of everyone by the time it was done. And my realtor didn't even show up to closing, and she had told me the wrong amount to bring, so I had to scurry off to the bank for about a grand more in the middle of closing so we could continue.

Glenn the next TV is still a tube type that weighs at least 300 pounds. It has to be at least 20 years old. This guy is a monster. John begged me to take it because he was tired of it sitting in his closet. I said, why don't you throw it out? Oh it works too well for that. Then why don't you use it? Well because it's a giant monster and we got a flat screen.

Guess I'll just relax tonight. I could read a book. Wouldn't that be a novelty. Ah, a novel-ty how funny. Or I'll surf craigslist. Might find something to go look at tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone.
Old August 11th, 2018, 05:46 PM

I met Linda Vaughn a few times any she is a classy lady. Both times were just a meet n' greet type thing so not like I'm a good friend of her's or any thing.
Mike, Yep I'm worried.
Allan, It does have a bunch of steps, but all the essentials are on the main floor. As far as the Olds parts I hope the person who buys the Vista will want the extra parts for it.
Old August 11th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Dan, there are some very nice cars at the show. I agree with Mike that the 59 Retractable is very nice. That 59 Buick convertible really got my attention. That one looks to be an Electra.
Old August 11th, 2018, 07:58 PM

The '59 Buick was nice, couldn't get a shot that wasn't facing the sun. Probably my favorite there, was the white '66 Impala convertible. Very clean, and straight.
Old August 12th, 2018, 06:00 AM

Mawn'in

Beautimus day in the hills

Thanks for the car show pics Very nice I haven't thought about Del Shannon in years

Greg, I'm with Mike, I am never going to move, When I'm planted others can deal with it

Old August 12th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone.
Yesterday we did indeed get rain. Nice soaking rain. More on the way today. Currently it's only about 55° and heavy gray overcast. Rain is spoda start around noon...

Jim - You watching that PGA? I saw some yesterday. Bout the only thing really exciting was that hole in one. I don't think Tiger will make a comeback this year.

Dan - Thank you for the pictures. Lots of really nice looking cars. I agree the 59 Buick (Electra??) was a stunning looker. I also liked that 59 Ford Sunliner. Not too many of either one of those around anymore. I remember when the 66 Impala was such a common car, and look today. Now there's a few pristine ones like the one you saw, the rest seem to be turned into donks or low riders. Sad...

Greg - Did you get her autograph on a picture? Something for your mancave... The more I age the more I think steps were designed as punishment.

I see Jouni is busy working on his 76 442 right now. Good to see he's keeping busy between that, work, sauna & beers, and his family.

Have a good Sunday.
Old August 12th, 2018, 07:23 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Day 2 of serpentine belt madness. Stopped at a different O'Reilly on the way home from Awful house and hopefully that will be the only trip I have to make today. Well unless I don't have enough oil for an oil change in the garage.

Greg if at some point the stairs get too much for you, install an elevator.

Allan that 59 Ford is a Skyliner. The Sunliner is the soft top convertible. I used to have a 59 Skyliner. What a hoot to watch it work. Miles of wiring, and switches, and relays. Probably could be done today with a couple of micro chips.

Okay best get at it. I have to finish up today because I go back to work tomorrow and I'm leaving before sun up on Saturday. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old August 12th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - thanks. I didn't realize there were 2 different models.
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:05 AM

Allan, Yes I watch golf with my 92 y.o. uncle, He calls it 'playing golf"

Mike, I didn't get hail my boy in Colorado did, He gonna keep his totaled truck for his oldest boy, I was jes curious if that worked
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

What do you call it? other than whackin whitey?
Old August 12th, 2018, 03:52 PM
golden rocket

We would use dry ice on hail dents, works good up to about golf ball size. Gets so hot in Okie land that when you put the ice on they just about totally pop out. Bigger one best for using a stud puller on them, but then you have the paint match up, and labor for finishing. Sometime a flat bottom plumbers plunger will work on the sides, like a door or quarter panel.

Greg, if you can, try to stay with every thing on one floor, basement would be good, since it can be "mancave/football watching" room. Gives a good place to store parts, too. As much trouble as I have with my back after surgeries, one floor is great.

Del Shannon pictures, made my day. 61 Catalina coupe reminded me of one I had years ago, a $75.00, 389 2 barrel, 3 speed on the column. Yes it did run and drive, but brakes had to be gone thru after a couple of weeks. No power steering or brakes, but it did have a radio and heater! Starting about 1953, Ford called all their convertibles (soft top) "Sunliner". I think they stopped it about 61 or 62.

Momma wants more done on her she shed, so gotta go.
Old August 12th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Olds Guys:

Well it rained most of the night last night. We might get a little more but I think it is gone. It is cool and is going to be cooler the remainder of the week. I will take it. It has been a pretty calm day today. We had a monthly NTOC meeting this afternoon. We had a new member show up with his 70 W30. I think it may have been a clone but it was a really nice car. Beautiful blue with a black vinyl top and black stripes. It sounded awesome. Although it wasn't raining I did not take the 54 due to the continued threat of rain. That is about it for a lazy Sunday afternoon. Hope we all have a good week ahead.
Jim, this one is for you.

Glenn
Old August 12th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Always room for one more

Well I got everything done to the truck that I had planned. Belts are on, oil is changed, it's cleaned out somewhat. It took entirely too long to get that stuff done but now I don't have to worry about it for awhile.

Mike nice to hear from you. I believe the name Skyliner came from the cars with the plexiglass top of the early 50s.

Glenn glad you're getting some relief from the hot weather. It's been hot here but not overpowering. Always the threat of rain, but unless there's a big system that's rolled in it seldom happens.

Spoke with my Mom tonight and got the plans all figured out for next weekend. Tomorrow it's back to work, and more of what I was hired to do. It would be nice if I could have my own area to work, but that isn't going to happen, so it will be interesting to see where I land. But the good news is I'm legal and can do my job.

And now off to bed. It's almost dark now, which is way different than a month ago at this time. Maybe I'll actually get to sleep. Tiger has beat me to it.

Have a good night everyone and a good start of the week.
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:47 AM

Mawn'in

Spose ta be a nice one today

Glenn, I can tell you EXACTLY where I was the 1st time I heard that song [and it been a long time ago]

Mike, Congrats on your accomplishments, doesn't it feel good when you're finished

Well GTG smack whitey around

Old August 13th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

The rain and clouds are gone. Blue skies now but fog this morning to rival Londonistan. Grass is pretty long and needs a cut but I have to wait for it to dry some.

Jim - y'all are done yer round so I guess you tried like a champ to be Foster but no dice. 45/43??

Mike - takes some time to get the body clock to a new routine when you've been working nights for years?

Golden - I wonder if that's why I called it a Sunliner.

Glenn - good to hear you're out of the heat for now.

Hmmm, I was kinda curious about a few guys who used to visit here. I looked at their profiles and noticed they visit CO and contribute to various threads but haven't dropped in to say hello here. Did we fart in our space suit or something???
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Sorry to disappoint you Allan but I fell apart on the back 9 44/49

Guess its kinda hard keeping up with someone as erratic as I am
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another day of doing my job. Things were slow this morning, but picked up this afternoon. I didn't catch anything earth shattering today, just entered a lot of wheels.

Not much going on for a Monday. Summit tonight. Beautiful out and not too hot.

Got a call into the dr. office about some medicine they've big dealed. Of course I got voicemail and my office isn't the most prompt in returning calls. I hope I'm not belly -up by the time they call back.

Okay I'll find something to do before time to leave. Monday is done, the pressure is off.
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Sorry to disappoint you Allan but I fell apart on the back 9 44/49
Whuuuuut?? That's just not like you. Usually you falls apart on de front...
Old August 13th, 2018, 01:19 PM

" Usually" and me playing golf don't "Gee and Haw" I hit one drive 235 and one 35