The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2017, 05:25 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ready for Awful house.

That is all.
Old October 1st, 2017, 08:22 AM

Evening.

Off from summer cottage, was great time. Really great. And chimney got fixed, and all the beer got lost

Okay, have a day. I need to move towards bed soon, 03.00am wake-up tomorrow.
Old October 1st, 2017, 09:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sunday morning - cold and windy. Spoda be snow and freezing cold overnight. Yayyyy??? I haven't even got the winter shoes on the cars yet and this happens??

Got the garage all cleaned up yesterday and a blood transfusion completed on the Sonata. The air filter also got a new breath of life... Stupid cover will not latch on the back side though. 3 out of 4 for now.

Jouni - I think we're officially beating you to winter.

Dan - I noticed it's like that on weekends. meh...

Brian - Hang in there. Nice pic of that 70 442 BTW, it's stunning. I know you'll miss Shea. He sounds like he was a great guy.

Heading out to Princess Auto - they have quite a few fluids on sale, including brake cleaner for only $3.00/can.
Old October 1st, 2017, 11:04 AM

Welp, Back in range from the mountains. Gotta be brief. Have a funeral in an hour. On the way home stopped to get a cold cut special [love my Bologna] and this dude had a Vega Cosworth. Had to chat a little [actually listen alot]
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

75 or 76?

All the cheap brake clean was sold out.

Making spicy salsa today. Should be close to 8 or 9 quarts. Good day to stay inside anyway.
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:36 PM
Always room for one more

Merry Christmas.

Walmart has their Christmas stuff up already, and also the fake grocery store egg nog. I love that stuff. So one aisle is Halloween stuff, one aisle is Thanksgiving, and the whole back room where the lawn stuff goes is Christmas.

Jamesbo when I was a kid I worked at an auto parts store. A guy from the other store called and asked for push rods for a Cosworth Vega. I said that's very good. Called him right back and asked for a starter for a 64 Toronado. Hm, the book only goes to 66 do you think it would be the same?

Just glorious out. Think I'll go to the shop and get into some trouble there. I had a question for Clint and now I can't think of it. Eh, if I remember I'll ask later on.
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:39 PM

Don't see too many Cosworth Vega's around, though I saw one this summer at a show. The first one that I had seen in a couple of decades.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good mawnin,

Wow, a ghost town here.
The final yield on the salsa was as predicted. 9 quarts of hot stuff. That will go pretty fast now that my son is home.

Cold and wet here this morning. 33* and there's an accumulation of snow on the cars left out on the street. Wind makes it feel more like 25*. I'll go out later for curling but this is crazy weather right now. Normally it's around the mid 60's.

Jim - If you were whackin whitey, I'm going with 45/43 today. You always seem to do better on the way home.

Dan - I don't think they made a lot of them in the first place.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:43 AM

Good day. Whoa, short day at work!!
Well, relatively- only 13,5 hours But woke up at 03am

Now i have a long evening ahead- great. Time to start gathering parts.

Allan R - Today i saw twice when for really short time it actually rained snow here
But i agree- you beat us

Never heard of Cosworth Vega, need to warm up the google.

Have a day, and grrrrreattt new working week
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cool this morning and a little overcast but no rain in the forecast. I'll take it. Might take in the junkyard this morning. Be a good day for it.

So I was pretty excited yesterday. Finally got the right size fuel line for the blue Valiant's fuel filter, got that in and started the car, for the first time since I've owned it. It's only been a year. Drove it around the yard a little. It has aftermarket air on it and the water pump pulley that was put on it has about five or six grooves, sort of like one size fits all, and it's loose and wobbles. Don't know if I can swap that out or not. Might need a new water pump. Also the alternator is overcharging, like it won't shut off. Never seen that before. But still a success getting that guy running.

Not much else. Last day off it needs to count. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:00 AM

Mawn'in all

have puter problem this a.m. So I didn't check in ta let ya know it was Monday.
Soooooooooo the golf course is gearing up for a giant tournament starting tomorrow and the place looks like the Alamo. Only played the front nine, 45

So Allan you're half right

Inline, They're cool but alot of folks thing they're a POS

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:58 AM

You're right Allan, low production numbers on the Cosworth. The Vega, another failed GM product. I liked the styling of them, but the quality sucked.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:23 AM
Always room for one more

https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-...RK-970x647.jpg

This is the car that I worked on mostly when I was in Reno this past week. It was at the Ironstone Concours that weekend and I got the show dirt off of it, grass, dust, etc. Even got a ride in it. Marvelous car and it will soon go back into its corner and not be taken out for another 30 years.

Last edited by slantflat; October 2nd, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 10:14 AM

Mike, that's sweet. Neat car.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
Cold start to the day at -3. Good thing there's no wind. Everything is really frosty though.

Curling yesterday didn't go so well. First fall I've taken in years.

Jim - you still having puter problems?

Clint - where are ya?

Jouni - early mornings can really suck sometimes.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:39 AM

Evening. Which is young, considering im off from sauna already

Soo... Its starting to quiet now. Few overnight stays ahead, but mostly max 10hr a day. Which i consider short

Allan R - If i could choose, i would work at night. All the idiot are sleeping ( from traffic), and i like nights, the darkness, quietness, all

Jamesbo - I knew Vega, but hadnt heard about Cosworth Vega. Googled it yesterday, what a piece. IMO Vega looks really nice car. Shame they were POS?

Hmm... Tomorrow normal working day, thursday is evening/night work, and then its free until monday- great!

Have a day all of you!
Old October 3rd, 2017, 10:54 AM

Afternoon,

Yep had puter problems til the nice lady [younger] that werks for me showed up and did something. Now all is well

Well, Have a great what's left of your day Olds friends
Old October 3rd, 2017, 01:26 PM
MOTORHEAD

cleaning
with pusifer loud in the background
so much to do

yanking grady white boat next

best fishes
Old October 3rd, 2017, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo you got yourself fixed before I had a chance to tell everyone of your plight. Slept most of the day so I could go to work tonight and not be a zombie.

Beautiful here. Almost 80 but it doesn't feel like it. Gonna be a little chilly tonight. Perhaps I should dig out my jacket and take it along.

It's my Monday. No clue what's in store. Maybe all the leads will call in sick and we can go back to doing work without all the BS.

I swear Tiger is part alarm clock. He came to wake me up at noon today, like he always does, and I said wake me up at 130. Sure enough, here he comes at 130. Too bad he won't tell me what to pick for the lottery.

Okay time to get ready. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:50 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike send some heat our way. Was in the 30's yesterday morning. The house is staying right around 60 give or take a few degrees. the wife ain't screaming yet.

Jamesbo, glad ol' Bill Gates didn't pick your number for good.

11971, That almost sounds like a riddle. Hope its all good your way.

Inline, We had a skiff of snow(sorry Sandy) yesterday up at the store. Old man winter seems to be coming early this year. So not ready for it.

Allan, I'm here, just busy. One man band at the shop again, and still trying to get the 'rents stuff out of the warehouse dad leases. There is a new owner and everything has to be out by the end of Oct.

Have a humpday all.
Old October 4th, 2017, 05:03 AM

mawn'in

Beautimus day down ere. spose to heat up again

Mike, I wasn't sure ya got my text. but thanks anywho

Clint, I used to collect Springfields and still have a few Krags. Don't cha need a cartridge belt or a canvas dust cover 2nd row in from the right of pic]

Allan, 1st fall on ice? Mine was in 1956 and haven't been skating since. Got 18 stitches in my head

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 4th, 2017, 06:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,

Another cold start to the day at 32*. More work to do on the Saturn today so I hope it warms up. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it. Maybe Dan had the best solution. We spend more on insurance and tags in a year than it's worth. Oh well, I'm sure its days are numbered. The subframe is getting pretty rusty on the left side. The right side is like new because of all the oil that has leaked there from a bad head gasket.

Granite fabricators will be here this morning doing some touch ups, I hope. They were like Jims delivery guy with the marker on the install but not the attitude.

Jim, no not my first fall. Just the first in a very long time. Whatever that young lady did to your puter she musta sent long distance to me. Our internet went down yesterday around 1:00 and stayed out till after midnight. It was funny to see the tstat display showing a large orange warning that the Internet connection was lost.

Clint, the proverbial one legged man at an **** kicking contest? What happened to the help? They quit or you let him go?

Jouni, those are still pretty long hours. You have more work ethic than a lot of people I've met. I also liked working during the quiet hours when there was no one around. Got way more work done.

Looks like Adrian is having fun building new chicken coops. That should keep them safe from predators. The kids are sure growing fast.

Enjoy your day
Old October 4th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Brian, The Humbling River.
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:24 AM

Chirp............................................c hirp.......................................chirp. What sound don't you want to hear in the middle of the night? The damn smoke detector, letting you know that the back up battery is going dead. The chirping doesn't stop just because you removed the battery. Wires are untwisted, and my color blind *** has to figure out how to get them right again.
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, I just replaced all 3of our smoke detectors with talking smoke/co detectors in May. They're coded to remind owners of their 10 year lifespan. The new batteries are Spoda last for 10 years so we'll see how that works. I always have spare batteries for immediate needs things like that. Don't guess with the wires, get someone who isn't color blind to help.

It's not nearly as annoying as the security alarm when the battery dies. I replace that one every 5 years to be safe.
Old October 4th, 2017, 11:56 AM

Evening. Read everything, but typing short, hate doing it with phone.
Sitting at hotel bar, sipping few beers and then to sleep.

Have a day.
Old October 4th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Evening all

Interesting day today. Found out that my accounts lady has been paying my daughters dividends from my company to an ex employee with a similar name. To make matters worse it just happens to be the woman that we was at an employment tribunal with. To make it even worse it's to the tune of £10k. Hmm. Heads will roll!

Some good news though is that my good lady is being considered for an honour by our Queen, won't find out though for 18 months as they like to check every detail of your life.

Smoke detectors, that reminds me to sort mine out. They started chirping a while back and I ended up whacking them with a broom and they chirped no more.

Worked 16 days on the trot so far and I'm getting mighty tired, still got another 11 to go before I get a break. I'm doing some major building work at my school and now it's half way through, I can't stop till it's finished.

London weather, it's starting to get a bit chilly. Highs of 60 lows of around 42 dry but windy.
Old October 4th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful here as well. This is what Atlanta weather was described to me as, and then I found out the real weather.

London can you get the 10K back from the ex-employee? Or the secretary?

Dan my smoke detectors were hard wired and I didn't even have any batteries in them. The one downstairs went haywire and chirped no matter what. Battery, no battery, breaker on or off. It got taken down and thrown out in the front yard until it died a mournful death. It was replaced with a regular battery type one.

Well night 2. Last night was frazzling. Driving all over the airport, chasing parts, people getting in the way. I hope tonight is the opposite.

Okay time to go. Have a good night everyone.
Old October 4th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tuesday Close

The deed is done with the Saturn. I was going to do this project back in June but it got delayed.

What a miserable way to put in a fuel tank. It took only about 10 minutes to loosen the 15mm strap bolts, and the 7 mm filler tube and vent clamps. Getting the rubber hoses off is a bit of a PITA since I don't have a lift and could only get the car up about 18" at the tank. It would have been so much easier with a lift. There was only about 6 liters in the tank so it didn't weigh much. We ran it almost dry to do this because I was under the impression it has an anti siphon ball in the filler neck. Nope! I could have siphoned it anytime. Anywho, the trick to getting the tank out is to remove the RS tank strap from the brace and forward body mount, and slide out the tank to the right.

There was a lot of corrosion on the locking ring that liquid wrench helped get rid of. No trouble taking out the old pump and putting the new one in. Reinstalling the tank was not that difficult, but re-attaching the filler hose and vent hose took awhile. The new pump is OEM but the lines are different size so I had to improvise putting the fuel lines into the built in clip. (one zip tie) The connections also weren't that easy to work on either but they got connected. One is a simple press fit but the fitting on the new line is brass instead of plastic, so it was a loose fit. I used a small clamp to make sure it stayed put.

My son came home from work and offered to help, which I gladly accepted. I was just happy to spend some time with him doing stuff. He's not mechanical but he has great slender hands for getting into tight places. Between the 2 of us we got the job done a little faster and I enjoyed teaching him about what was being done. LOL, he says he likes the smell of gasoline (petrol for you London). I don't. It makes me nauseous. Actually I had to throw up soon afterwards.

On the ground, put the fuel back in and fired it. Took about 5 seconds of cranking before it started but ran fine. After a quick run to the gas station to put in 20 liters I checked the dash gauge. It was reading right at 1/2 full, which is pretty accurate since the tank holds 48.6 liters.

Honestly, if anything else major goes on this car in the next while it's out the door and replaced.
Old October 5th, 2017, 04:06 AM
CQR

Morning all.

Jamesbo, nice collection of slingers there. I have a good selection of mostly old non useable antiques. Lots of Damascus. My Great Grandfather was a Gunsmith. I'm going hunting in a bit and will be using the 1894 as a backup.

Dan, Came home to my CO detector singing the song of it's people. Couldn't wait until the time change when I change out all the batteries.

Allan, I just decided I couldn't afford to keep him anymore. A shame too, Such a well brought up young man, but just not mechanic material. I hope we are done with expenses tied to him. Glad you got the pump done.

Have a day all.
Old October 5th, 2017, 04:57 AM

Mawn'in

Thanks Clint, It's interesting [to me any way] the evolution of the Springfields thru different conflicts

London, That sucketh. ope ya get it straightened out

Allan, Why don't you and number one son come down ere and fix sum of my junk

Gotta head to the big city today. Wish me luck with the traffic

have a Great day Olds friends
Old October 5th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning,
Tis the day of Thor. No special wit de boyz as I have a date wit de curling rink instead. Gotta get the balance, delivery and weight figured out. The rink conditioned the rocks and now they have close to almost 5' of curl on a draw so I need to get this locked down if we want a chance of being winners.

Jim, love to but I doubt he will want to do that. Good luck wit de traffic. Don't forget why the horn was installed!

Clint, too bad about the help but it's like Kenny Rogers said... Some people just aren't cut out for mechanical work. I know I have my limits and know when to pay the piper. Too bad our shops rates up here are so high. The newer nickel cadmium ones are Spoda have a lifespan of up to ten years. Peace of mind till you hear them again.

London, yikes! That sounds almost like paying alimony or child support to the wrong person. Congrats to your wife on being selected for a royal award. That sounds like an awful long vetting process. I hope HRH will still be alive to present it. She's doing a remarkable job staying active and involved. Maybe that's one reason she's so popular.

Dan, all 3 of mine are hard wired but they have battery backup. If one goes into,alert mode, the ALL go into alert mode.

Spoda be a nice 70*+ day here so gotta make hay while the sun shines. Enjoy your day.
Old October 5th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Yet another beautiful day. Saw more than I wanted to of it. I think it's supposed to be nice until Monday.

Well it's one year today that I lost my precious Sparky. I still can't get over it. Tiger is awesome but he's no Sparky. I'm gonna miss that guy forever.

Clint you might have saved me some money. That's too bad about the helper. It was an interesting statement, expenses tied to him.

Jamesbo hope the city didn't do you too wrong. I'm glad I don't go through the city very often.

Okay guess I'll get going. Night 3. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old October 6th, 2017, 03:41 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, Still need to get one of my pieces of testing equipment back from being repaired. I thought it was a warranty issue but they opened it up and found it full of ethylene glycol. I hope I did then I'll be like a little green lizard.

Allan, I'll be raising my shop rate here soon. It's been several years and the utilities ain't getting any cheaper.

Jamesbo, I would guess that is true of any manufacturer? I'm definitely not well versed in any of them to have an intelligent conversation.

Have a weekend all. Winter will be here on Monday. Ugh.
Old October 6th, 2017, 03:50 AM

Mawn'in

Mike, I hate ta tell ya, it's gonna rain Saturday and Sunday

I know whatcha mean Every dog I've ever had I've loved to death but they're all a little different

Gotta run up to Canton and get sum sod this a.m. In the Jewish faith families wait a year before putting a marker in place and then have an "Unveiling" I want this one to be extra pretty

Allan, When I go to the city, I actually count how many stop lights I go thru after getting off the interstate tto see how long it takes before some jacka$$ starts blowing his horn. Usually It's one never more than two

I drive right by where my old grammar school was [that's now a sea of high rise condos and office buildings] When I walked to school there wasn't anything but houses and a dirt path w/o any side walk

Atlanta [Buckhead] is a great place to be "from"

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 6th, 2017, 04:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rough night at work. Took four of us to figure out how to swap out an oven. The new oven is 100 pounds lighter than the old oven, and of course we had to mod half the airplane to do the job. At one point we called the lead for some help and another lead showed up and started belittling us for not getting it done fast enough. I think we're all going to have a pow wow with the foreman over that. We finished in time for the plane to go out and make money.

Jamesbo I heard the forecast on the way home this morning and they did indeed say rain Saturday night and Sunday. That's okay, I have plenty of inside stuff to do.

Well tonight is Friday and since I stayed a half hour later than I should have, I best get out at a decent time. Eh, I'm sure the leads will have other thoughts. It's funny sometimes when I'm on my way home the leads will call me for whatever, and I don't answer.

Okay gonna hit the sack. Hope Tiger doesn't want to get up a lot today. Have a good Friday everyone.
Old October 6th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning

Twas beautimus yesterday, hoping for a repeat performance today.

Clint, I know shops have to keep up,with the times. Most of the shops here charge a book rate if the repair will cost more that way instead of a simple labor and parts. It's likely the way all shops will be run in the future. Labor rates here vary from $140-160/ hr.

Jim, I bermember stuff like dat from when I was a kid too. Similar story just different geography. I miss the old days when life was simpler and values were more in tune.

Mike, I'm sorry for your loss. I know you will remember him forever.

Jouni, London, Scott, Golden, Dan, John? Where y'all hiding and doing?
Old October 6th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Evening all.

Was home really early this Morning today; slept long, taked it easy, and just came from sauna. Its weekend again! And for looong time, free weekend with my beloved.

Gonna clean the basement, do some yardwork etc. Just sauna-beers this weekend

LondonCutlass - Really disgusted to hear about your problems. Zero mercy from here to those kind of people.
About your story of smoke detectors- remembers me when at night one detector started to yell for no reason, second time i smashed it with my fist and continued to sleep
And CONGRATS for your wife! Awesome

Allan R - Working ethic? Im just a greedy old bast**d Okay, winters coming, im first year working at CMM, and im the last quy still working on CMM's on whole Company. So i think im not that bad even im just learning. But im also WILLING to learn what i dont know.
Cool story about that Saturn. Good you got some help and quality time with your son

Okay, good Friday evening everyone- enjoy from what you got!
Old October 6th, 2017, 11:14 AM

Hey Allan, don't panic I'm still alive! Just busy, seven days to go before I can get a day off.
Gotta get up extra early tomorrow morning. I have to drive the wife to the station as she's off to France on a day trip with some oldies. Think I'm glad I'm working!

Mike, the way we have to do it to try and get my money back is in the first instance, write to tell her that she has been paid in error and to return the money, which I would assume she has spent. Then next week to call the police as its a criminal offence to spend money which is knowingly not yours to spend. I will keep you informed of what progress we make.

Thursday I'm going into the city for a meeting with the people that decide the honours. My wife has no idea about this so it's all cloak and dagger ( secret - Jouni )

Mike, I bet you will say the same thing about Tiger in years to come.

Weather cool but sunny, I've still got my shorts on!
Old October 6th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept until 530 this afternoon. Just as I was getting ready for bed a guy I work with called. We were all on a big project last night that none of us had done before, and were having trouble. A lead who wasn't assigned to the plane came out and bad mouthed us and said anyone else could do this job in two hours. Later on that lead went and told the manager how much we sucked and this guy from the crew was there and heard him, and told the manager our side. So this guy wanted to call and tell me what all was said. That's great I appreciated it, but two hours later and I'm still on the phone with him. I'll have the feeling of running late all evening I'm sure, but we've already been out and I'm actually right on schedule.

London I suppose you're right. I said the same thing about Max. Max came to us when I was 21, it was just Mom and I and 16 years later Max was with me, and I of course was devastated when he died. I didn't get my boy and girl until years later.

Thank you Allan I appreciate that.

I was actually going to post a short something every time I got up today, so I could count how many times I was up, I forget sometimes, but I was so wacked all day, and we only got up a couple times, I could barely see to get around, much less sit at the computer and do something literate.

Friday. Lord knows what we're getting into tonight. Got plenty of plans for the weekend, inside and outside. So whatever the weather, I'm covered.

Have a good night everyone.