The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hm, Friday, to be or not to be. I'm considering some overtime tomorrow, I guess it will depend on how tonight goes. Good night and I'll go in tomorrow, otherwise I'll stick around the abode.

Another lovely day. Well until I looked out and saw the awful dog next door. I thought I was rid of him forever. Hopefully it's only for the weekend. I've been next door already and found out the son and family are just here to see friends, and won't be staying long.

As far as doctors, it's past time for the yearly physical. Not sure what to do. My doctor was killed in an automobile/bicycle accident, not sure I like any of the others in the office enough to keep going there.

Dan hope the shindig was good. I can't imagine working at the same job for 50 years. Well, because I've never done it. I'll let you know what I think about it in 28 years.

Okay gonna head out. Not sure which to hope for, ten hours time and a half on the next paycheck or keeping a full day of not being there at all.

Have a good evening everyone hope the weekend is working out.
Old September 24th, 2016, 04:15 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Howdy all

Another hot, but beautiful day here. We need rain something fierce

Still waiting on the Fed-ups truck to bring me my parts.

Congrats Inline on your monumental post. You win the cigar!

Hope everyone has a great weekend
Old September 24th, 2016, 11:54 PM

That cigar

Good Morning. Sunday.. Not looking too nice outside.
Wifey comes back today, too.

About jobs.. Ive been seriously thinking about changing my employer. We are so few here that we can actually choose at who to work at. Otherwise ive been happy, but our bosses, and his son takes everything too personally, and are just braking our work even we try to do money for them. And they shout and yell from stupid things not even related to work. Theres alot behind this, just an idea.
Ive been thinking this whole year, and i think im pretty sure to go on another employer next spring. On the other hand, i like to be loyal, they pay good, and we have pretty good machines at work, but when they do not appreciate us at all, keep as just as workers, i think that will seal the deal after 5 years.

Problem is, that ive been asked to plow snow at winter, and if i refuse from that, they for sure quess that im changing to another employer. And id like to keep backdoor open for just in case. And if im even going to change to another employer, i kinda must refuse from plowing snow, since they will pay for that plowing on spring on one big paycheck, and its not told they do that if i change employer. Hard decisions, hard decisions.. Tomorrow i should have definite answer ready.
Old September 25th, 2016, 01:37 AM

Long story short; if thinking about work-related things ruins friday and saturday from weekend, maybe its time to move on considering were "selling" our life for 9 months per year to them.
Old September 25th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good night at work. Got several things signed off and was home and in bed by 430. No overtime tonight, as last night was the last night for it. Not sure why they chose that day, since the summer schedule ended weeks ago. Eh, twist my arm to stay home.

Gorgeous day out. As usual I have plenty to do. We'll see how much gets done.

I met Dennis_30281 the other day. As I suspected, he lives in the same neighborhood my shop is in. That makes 7+ forum members I've met. The + is I've only talked to Clint on the phone.

Well, good Sunday to you all.
Old September 25th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, folkses... Warm one but pretty in da' hills. Washed the Fusion (on the outside) last night. Needed it pretty bad. Still looks OK when cleaned up, but you always find new scars and scrapes when you clean 'er. This is better half's car, and of course, she has no idea how they happened. Must've been me. (Funny how 25 yrs of marriage will develop one's sense of self-blame!!!) But it's got over 100k miles now and is 6.5 yrs old; so it's holding out pretty good, although IMHO it's no Camry. But no failure of major components thus far. Still on its original serpentine belt and hoses. Clint, is it time to change all that?
Y'all have a great Sunday, Olds chums.
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:45 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

John, Hoses don't fail like they used to. but it's not a bad idea to give a couple a squeeze here and there and listen for any reinforcement threads popping. And as far as the belt goes, they can go a long time. count the cracks per inch and if there are 4-5 across all ribs then its time.

Mike, Still lookin forward to having some scattered, smothered, and covered. when you make it up here. My treat.

Darrell, This timing change is without any vacuum lines hooked up Isn't it?

Well Everyone should go have a lemonade and Iced tea today. RIP.

Have a Monday.
Old September 26th, 2016, 04:22 AM

Mawn'in all

Sorry to say Arnold Palmer went home to glory. Quit the gentleman and always made time for his fans [Arnie's Army]
Old September 26th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Hope today is smoother than yesterday. Got home early and got up early, but after the strenuous act of mowing I was beat. Couldn't catch up the rest of the day.

John safe trip home today.

Clint I need to get up there. I haven't been for several years. Might be too late in the year now, you guys could get a few feet of snow at any given moment.

And speaking of the Awful house, off I go. Errands this morning, then this afternoon I'm going to talk to a guy about my Deuce and half. That poor thing's been sitting for too long. Of course when an electrical fire occurs when you try to start it up, it sort of makes one a little hesitant to try it again.

Also Summit tonight. Now that my days off have changed I get to go every week, and it goes until the end of October. Okay have a good Monday everyone.
Old September 26th, 2016, 02:14 PM

Hola from Espania.

Good day today looking for a place in the sun. The weather is great , the beer is cold and life is good even though I'm a year older today.

Just waiting for the debate between dumb and dumber as we have a few US channels at our hotel.
Have a great week all.

By the way Inline why do you want to be loyal to your employers, would they be loyal to you? You have to be happy where you work otherwise what's the point.
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:31 PM

Well, on Saturday I started packing my Olds stuff into the trunk of the '69, readying for the move. First of all, my intake is made of lead I'm sure, crimminy, I don't recall it being that heavy, then that followed by the heads still coated in cosmoline, the radiator was already there in it's box, outer fender wells, exhaust manifolds, carb etc., got it pretty full, the suspension was a bit compressed, as was my lower back, ow must be getting on in age or sumtin'. After a couple of hours I realized that I hardly made a dent in my stash.
Old September 27th, 2016, 04:58 AM

W/o getting toooooooo political Does anyone remember the Preston Brooks and Charles Sumner episode in 1856. Kinda reminds me of the debates

Well, Mowing today. Can't figger out why de grass keeps growing w/o rain

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old September 27th, 2016, 05:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I heard a little bit of the debate in the car while I was driving. When I say a little bit it was because whenever I heard it I changed the station.

So no surprise I didn't make the cruise in last night. Drove up to this guy's house to pick up a pair of wheel adapters, which was a thinly disguised attempt at getting information about my Deuce and a half. Nice fellow, likes to talk, was there for hours. Got some ideas on what might fix this beast, saw a nice 66 Valiant he was working on for a friend, solved some of the world's problems. Oh and got the wheel adapters.

Jamesbo in the airline biz we have a technical term for such things. PFM.

London hope your day was a success. Any leads on a place?

Dan I hate to think what it would take to pack my place up. I would love to move out of here but I don't want to move just for the sake of it. I will probably end up in Florida at some point. Lord I can't imagine moving all this crap multiple hours away.

Okay off to the Awful house. Last day off. Have a good one everyone.
Old September 27th, 2016, 06:33 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Sorry I'm late. been working on the new scoot to try to get it ready for the race this weekend.

Have a Tuesday.
Old September 27th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik g'dafternoon from da' Swamp... Waldo & Co. officially arrived home yesterday. Catch up mit everyone soon....
Have a great one, Olds buds.
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:18 PM

Does anyone remember the Preston Brooks and Charles Sumner episode in 1856
Well, no I'm not quite that old!
Old September 28th, 2016, 02:30 AM

Good day. Free day from work, since we were at work mon 06.00am- tue 4.00am, and then again tue 03.00pm to wed 04.00am. Well, we might have had work, but noone of us was interested since forecasts promised heavy rain at evening today.

Got my early christmas, and all the rear-end parts i ordered. Happy one.

Next i should start filling new firewood-rack i build. Surprised wifey, shes not sure yet does he like it or not, but she will when its full of wood, im sure.

Have a nice day everyone.
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:03 AM

Btw, Happy Birthday Bee-Oh-Pee!
Old September 28th, 2016, 05:48 AM

Mawn'in all

Got a sprinkle late yesterday. Jes enough to settle the dust

John, Happy Berfday

Gotta run to de big city to get my ivory cleaned

I may take a sabbatical from FB the politics is really getting to me

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:10 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Hope everyone has a great Humpday.
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Captain Starfire

Thanks, folks.... promises to be a nice one around here.

Had our (unnamed charitable organization) fundraiser last night and it seemed to be a howling success. What a relief. We plan this thing for months. Gratifying to see it come and go with all participants broadly smiling.

Not much planned for today but tying up loose ends from returning home Monday. Always a million things to catch up on.

Stinkin' retaining wall guy in GA is stiffing us.. real PITA. We advanced him a couple grand about 2 months ago and so far, all he's done is take the old ones out and left the outside of the house a mess; he's totally unresponsive; we're trying everything we know, but nothing seems to be working at this time. I can't believe I put myself in this predicament, but he did come recommended by a contractor up there that I and a couple neighbors like. It makes it double tough when you're not up there with the house. We'll keep after him, but the future looks dim.. especially when the property has absolutely no retaining walls... just walls of dirt. Yikes.

Whelpt, y'all have a great Humpity, Olds cronies.
Old September 28th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Happy birthday John!
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:28 AM

John, NEVER ever start a proejct in the mountains close to opening day of deer season
Old September 28th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. Definitely signs of fall. It was almost 2 this afternoon before it got over 80.

John Happy Birthday. Hope you whoop it up good. If you want me to take care of the landscaping guy just say the word.

Jamesbo I didn't know you played the piano. I don't read any of that junk on FB. And it still takes me over 30 minutes to get through it all.

Clint would I get any messages if I ran a long spade bit a few times through the cat. converter? The blue van needs a muffler and while it's off, I thought I'd help it breathe a little easier. With a buck forty on the clock and as much oil as it burns, it has to be pretty plugged up.

Okay it's Monday. I've been Delta-free my whole time off, and know nothing of what's been going on. I do still see the planes flying over my house so that's a good thing. So off I go. Have a good evening everyone.
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:45 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Overcast today and 70. Got home from work and was doing yardwork; fertilizing, seeding, and mulching. Never done.

Starting to feel better, but this has pretty much been with me on and off for a month now. A weird virus that's for sure. I'm done with feeling dizzy and tired most of the time.

John - Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoyed your day.

Clint - The timing was retarding without the vacuum advance hooked up. took the distributor apart and there is nothing wrong with it. My next thing is to try what you mentioned about checking the timing chain play.

Enjoy the race, where is it?

Jamesbo - I watched the entire debate but I pretty much got turned off about 10 minutes in. Wasted time, could have been out in the garage.

Well have a good night everyone.

Last edited by OLD SKL 69; September 28th, 2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:48 AM

Afternoon all.

Back in the UK after a nice time in Spain. Still a month before I have to go back to work so I will be spending some time decorating the spare bedroom. Been meaning to do that for ages.
Mike. No we didn't find anything yet so I'm coming back in a couple of weeks time.

Have a great week.
Old September 29th, 2016, 06:13 AM

Mawn'in all

Old September 29th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Captain Starfire

G'dafternoon, folks. Thanks to y'all fer da' wishes. 'Twas a great day yesterday; pretty much did nuttin' but fun stuff. Watched an old Fred & Ginger movie from '37, and some of my more esoteric stuff on Prime I love to watch. Thank goodness no parties or cakes. We're goin' out Friday to our fave place in Madisonville, Keith Young's Steakhouse. I'm droolin' thinkin' of it.

'Nudder bluebird day (to coin a phrase ) in da' Swamp today. Temps are in 80s, but humidity is way down. Spose to be in 50s tonite, and high of 80 manana. This is the kind of day I need to work outside. But we just got back from B.R. for Costo and Trader Joe's, which should hold us a couple hours for groceries.

Mike: "The word."

Jamesbo, that Barbie looks like most of my relatives and friends, but a little nicer hair.

Darrell, glad you're feelin' a bit better. Hope the trend continues. As far as the retarding timing, I once had a full-centrifugal dual-point Mallory distributor in my old Vega (I'm sorry to say) with that problem. Turns out I had installed the weights upside-down. Flipped 'em over and worked like a champ. You wouldn't think it would be possible to install 'em upside-down, but it indeed was.

London, enjoy your month.. doesn't sounds like that job sounds too bad... you'll feel like a million pounds (sterling, i.e.) when you're done.

Whelpt, y'all have a great one, Olds chums.
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone, thought I'd pop in for an afternoon visit to say hello. Another cloudy and cool one today, only about 63. Feels like a shock since it was in the mid to high 80's last week.

Clint - I checked the timing chain play and it has 8 degrees. The engine only has about 8k miles on it but some were hard since he did a few passes at the dragstrip. I know that chains usually loosen up after being run for a few hours but that seems excessive to me. What do you think?

Talk to y'all later.
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I don't think it hit 80 today, so why is my AC still coming on? Sunny and calm. Gonna be cool tonight I hate having to start thinking about a jacket.

John I'll round up the posse.

London glad you had a good time in Spain. What a shame, having to go back in a couple weeks. Maybe you could find a nice spot and build a place.

Darrell I've had bugs before that hung on forever. Hope you can lick this one soon. I'll be starting the trimming and cleaning up for winter in my yard pretty soon as well.

Okay gotta go retrieve my dog. Lately she just runs laps around the yard and when it's time to come in she makes a fuss. Since I have to leave for work I don't have time for such nonsense, so I'll have to think up something creative.

Have a good evening everyone, one more and it's the weekend.
Old September 30th, 2016, 05:19 AM

Mawn'in all

Gett'in chilli in de mawn'ins [to me]

Welp, Today is a toss up. Cut up fallen tree or fix dryer heater element.

Maybe I could use de ole chain saw to open up the back of the dryer and not have to worry about either fer a while.

I'll have to get back to ya on that one

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old September 30th, 2016, 06:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Sorry I missed yesterday.

Mike, 1997 and newer vehicles have OBDII and have catalyst monitors and will turn on the MIL and set a code for a bad/tampered cat. but if it is Pre OBDII no, the MIL will not come on if you gut the cat.

Darrell, That does seem a little excessive for such low mileage. How was the distributor gear. We have seen many SBC gears that are badly worn.

The race is east of Denver and just west of Limon the nearest town is called Deer Trail.
I got the Bike almost done this morning. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it does. I still can't believe I bought a Fiat of the motorcycle world.

Have a Friday.
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all... Cool down here as well; 'twas 57 on my way out at 6 a.m.

MUST do something outdoors today. Should ride the Yamaha, but prolly won't happen. Going to my belated birthday dinner tonight, so that should be good.

Y'all have a great Friday, Olds compadres.
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:49 AM

Good afternoon. Weekend atlast. Full of program. Dont even feel like an weekend.
Tomorrow is here, at Lahti " Autot & Viihde" show at big hall. Including old american cars, and even more tuning-toys from Japan and Europe. Yuck. And Richard Rawlings also visiting there. Might be worth mentioning even i dont give him any worth.

Friends soon there. Then we go to sauna and.................

................ drink beer!

Have a fun weekend everyone, catch you at sunday.
Old September 30th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got a bit chilly at work last night, down to 59. Barely crested 70 here today. No rain, though.

Thanks Clint. My van is a 90, so hope it will be okay. I mean, I'm gonna do it anyway. I fully intend on being the end-user for this van so if I gotta take the bulb out of the CE light...

John get out and work on the cars! You should have a convertible garage. Like Mercedes Benz Stadium.

Jamesbo, chainsaws are wonderful things. After you're done with the dryer, go ahead and peel an apple then carve an eagle out of a tree stump.

Well work. This week seems to be dragging along. Nothing dramatic going on at work, so that's good. A buddy of mine will be back to work tonight so we should have some fun.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; September 30th, 2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Astrodome doesn't have a retractable roof
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:04 AM

Hmm, slow news day it appears.
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:29 AM

Had to head fer de hills, stopped along de way and got me a wonderful BBQ sandwich

Enjoy sw weekend Olds friends
Old October 1st, 2016, 01:20 PM

Good evening. Was a busy day, whole day went going after some happening. First, that car show i told earlier; alot better than last year. Then tooked my wifey for dinner; then quick visit at home to grab presents to car, and headed to little brother's and sister's 18 yo parties. Then quickly talked with my friend who lives near there, and then fast to home since wifeys mom was coming there.

Phuh. Tomorrow ill just install new lamp to dinner-room, which my wifey has been wanting for over a year and i at last bought it to her, and then i heat sauna and sit there for LONG!

Good evening for everyone, got to go due to wifeys mom.
Old October 1st, 2016, 01:36 PM

FUUUUUUUUU******************* the Vista Cruiser i linked pictures earlier this year just came to sale:

http://www.nettiauto.com/oldsmobile/...ruiser/8345236

OOOOHHHHHHH WHY I DONT HAVE MONEY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Friday. We'll see how it goes. It hasn't been a bad week but busy. Gonna be nice over my days off, hope to get something done.

Well, off to it. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.