The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 08:19 AM

That downspout is pretty neat!
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Cutlass Lover

That's pretty cool, Jamesbo!!
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Morning guys what's shakin? Just got back from Disney World with the kids. We had a blast.
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hey there Tony!! Nice of ya to pop in again, lol. I'd like to go to Disney sometime. How's your summer been??
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Hey there Tony!! Nice of ya to pop in again, lol. I'd like to go to Disney sometime. How's your summer been??
It's been fun. Took my son surfing on Sunday, and showed him how to ride my long board.
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Always room for one more

Hey Tony good to see you. Man I haven't been to Disney in years. Sounds like a good time. Not so sure about surfing, though.

Jamesbo all's that drain needs is a flat rock underneath it.

Well it's been raining all morning. Got the scrap metal taken to the recycler, a whopping 46 bucks. Scrap these days is 10 cents a pound. I'm thinking I should have called a couple other places. I couldn't go too far, though, the yellow truck runs good but goes down the street like it's drunk. There's better than 8 inches play in the steering wheel.

So it's a steady rain and not hard or any thunder, but the dogs are not happy about it. They won't eat, won't go outside, and they follow me around the house like they are tied to me. After I finish their room, I'm going to work on a covered area in the back yard they can go out in and not get rained on.

Got a few things to do inside this afternoon, so the rain won't get me down. Check with you guys later.
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hey Tony good to see you. Man I haven't been to Disney in years. Sounds like a good time. Not so sure about surfing, though.

Jamesbo all's that drain needs is a flat rock underneath it.

Well it's been raining all morning. Got the scrap metal taken to the recycler, a whopping 46 bucks. Scrap these days is 10 cents a pound. I'm thinking I should have called a couple other places. I couldn't go too far, though, the yellow truck runs good but goes down the street like it's drunk. There's better than 8 inches play in the steering wheel.

So it's a steady rain and not hard or any thunder, but the dogs are not happy about it. They won't eat, won't go outside, and they follow me around the house like they are tied to me. After I finish their room, I'm going to work on a covered area in the back yard they can go out in and not get rained on.

Got a few things to do inside this afternoon, so the rain won't get me down. Check with you guys later.
Scrapping is tough these days there's to many people doing it. There's scrappers scrapping scrappers .....lol
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:41 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Mike I bet you can get some of the play out of the steering by 1) adjusting the gearbox and 2) by replacing the rag joint
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Life.....

Happy Tuesday everyone

Well, I just placed 2 orders for parts. One (bigger order) from ILT. The other was Fusick. My wallet is having a heart attack. To help prevent myself having the 'big one' I've been embarking on a new exercise routine. 2 hours of cardio (quick pace walking) every day and more controlled balanced menu of eating. So far (6 days) I've lost 8 pounds. Goal is to lose about 30 this year. I read it's bad to lose too much all at once so I'm trying to listen to my body at the same time. More veggies and fruit, less starches and proper portions of meat and carbs. They also say to discuss this with your Dr before taking it on. Phooey on that drivel - I get high blood pressure just waiting for that quack! Time to find a new one I guess. Most of the problem is I gotta set my brain in the right path so I don't give up and just put de pounds back on. Called a 'life style change' so they say. Sometimes this new routine makes me really tired, but I don't sleep well but at least I'm not 'bitchy'.

Jamesbo - up here they'd call that guy a 'hoser'. Wit de amount of cow we bin gittn up here you'd swear dat hose o his wood be wore plump out. Maybe need ta see a urologist..

Mike - No rest for you huh? Good luck with the pups room. And now you're planning to build them an outside run with a roof?? Sounds like the lap of luxury for them pups.

Gotta busy afternoon ahead:
Go to the college, find locker and drop off books. Make the rounds to the classrooms to see where they are (minimize first day confusion)
Pick all the beans - I think it's time to pull the plants. Not much in the way of flowers any more. Just looking at them right now I think there's about 20 lbs ready and waiting to be picked. Jamesbo if you read this, Scot jus pulled ma finger!
Cut the grass - tomorrows trash day
Get back to working on the Cutlass - I'll be posting some new stuff soon with the rear suspension/ fuel / and brakes.

Hope y'all have a great day.
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Captain Starfire

Calm B4 Isaac

Hi, friends. Thanks for all the well-wishes They kept me at the salt mine until 3 yesterday; then I stopped in Metairie (yes, Jim... directly west of N.O. on I-10) to check on the girls... my brother had already brought them everything they could think of, so they seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Got back on I-10 at about 4:20 and didn't get home until 6:20 . It's usually about 50 minutes from Metairie to Ponchatoula; but it was a stinkin' parkin' lot through Metairie until well into St. Charles Parish.... In other words, it took an hour and a half to go about 15 miles... but as long as I made it in one piece, everything's OK (I keep telling myself that).

To add insult to injury, it doesn't look like the salt-mine management will be paying us for work missed due to Isaac, either... that was thrilling to hear... I have to take sick leave or vacation. Whelp, I guess ya' gotta be glad to have a job nowadays.... and the lice know it.

Soooo.... it's a bit breezy here, but no storm conditions yet. The first squall hit the tip of LA (Plaquemines Parish, which juts way out into the Gulf) a couple hours ago. We, up here on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain, are supposed to get hit tomorrow morning; they're predicting a category 1 hurricane (80 mph winds) when the eye makes landfall tonight; that's pretty much what it is now.

The big deal for most folks will be rainfall (they're predicting area-wide of 8 to 12", and local events up to 20"). There will be some flooding in areas, especially low-lying ones; we should be good here (and in Metairie) with the 8-12" over a day and a half -- it's never flooded at either place.

Coastal areas will also have some trouble with storm surge, both at the lake and Gulf communities. The east and north winds funnel all the water right into S.E. LA ... and it usually wreaks havoc. I feel sorry for those folks; they frequently get pounded.

It's moving at about 10 mph, and we're hoping it doesn't slow any; the faster the better.

I doubt the wind will be a direct threat to property; if you happen to be unlucky enough to be under a falling tree, that's a different story.

And then there will be the power outages. That's what we're hoping and praying won't zing "the girls." We shall see...

Folks have a good attitude so far, and everybody seems to be cooperating. There's not much traffic anywhere down here. Most sensible folks are hunkered down (or evacuated), waiting for the thing to blow over.

It was nice out this morning, so I figured I'd cut the grass. It sprinkled for about 3 minutes toward the beginning, and I thought I might have to stop; but the rain relented and I was able to finish.

I've attached a few pic's of the lawn (about as much fun as a pic of a light-bulb change, huh James? ); then I got one of the new car cover; and of course, life wouldn't be complete without a picture of the 1-week-old gravel.

Again, thanks for the well-wishes and prayers. We should be fine; and as long as the girls don't lose power for too long, so will they.

I'll try and post again after this thing move outta' here.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 28th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Always room for one more

Evening everyone.

Oddly enough it cleared up this afternoon and the sun was out. I got a call from my Mom and she sounded a little more worried than she was the last time I talked to her. They've had wind and rain all day and they expect to lose power tonight. I wish she would have just come up here.

John I hope you and the ladies are doing okay and don't have any problem. Hopefully the pictures of the lawn and the driveway look the same next week.

Scot the maintenance manual for the truck wants me to take front end parts apart. I might try just lifting the front of the truck off the ground and see if I can achieve the same thing.

Tony the recycling is probably not worth the effort, but I generate so many tin cans a week(dog food) I figure I might as well get a little of my money back. I save my pop cans, too, but since I've stopped drinking pop at home that isn't such a big deal.

This may sound weird, even for a dog person, but I hate the fact that not only do the dogs have to ask permission to go to the bathroom, they also have to go outside in all weather. If I can make it a little easier on them I'm glad to do it.

Well I see the stars are out and the moon right now, so I'm going to try to get said dogs out one more time tonight because the weatherman is promising storms at some point.

Hope everyone does okay during the night and I'll see you all tomorrow.

Last edited by slantflat; August 28th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:20 AM

Good afternoon all, golf went well this morning I won Well I did play ambrose but that is not the point, winning is winning

We have found a car Mike but are having trouble getting a decent quote to have it shipped up here. It is 5 hours drive away and they all seem to want around $600 to transport a car that is just over 2000 pounds

Good to hear the storm hasn't been around yet John, hope it dissipates into nothing before it hits land.

Well I might go get a quick kip, have a good day olds friends,

Adrian
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Mawn'in all

Rains den stops, den rains some mo.

John, Glad you're on the high ground. Hope Isaac moves on thru.

Hurricane question? Why in the Wild Wild World of Sports do they put reporters out in rain coats in the pouring rain and wind to report on the hurricane? Don't they think we know what rain looks like?

Down ere de do de same thing at the Court house. It's frigg'in 5:00 a.m an pitch black dark an we're seeing Joe Smo reporting LIVE from Fulton County Court House. [That's completely Empty]

Allan, Ya do know dat Hellapino peppers are a veggie.

Scot, How's your battle go'in?

Mike, I'm wit chew. I think ya ought be able to take your best friends to de Aweful House wit cha. De do in Europe.

Adrian,What did cha shoot?

Sandy, If I were you, I'd plan on clean'in house dis weekend. I think Issac [isn't dat de right way to spell it?] is gonna bring de ole cow/flat rock to Ohio.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:05 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Humpday Mawnin All

Well they are calling for rain but I don't think we will see any for a bit.

I guess N'Orleans get's to test their pump system today, although Issac is far from a major hurricane it is still packing lots of rain and with high tide coming up the storm surge could be the test.

jamesbo that's the weather channels version of high $$ reality tv. People are glued to their sets trying to see if Jim Cantore will get blown out to sea Just like CNN and other media sending reporters into war zones like Dan Rather used to do Same thing except they aren't getting hit with stop signs, limbs and other debris, they are getting pummeled by shrapnel, flying lead and kidnapping. I guess they make the big bucks for putting themselves at risk

Adrian, it sounds like a good time for a road trip

Mike there was a thread on adjusting the worm gear floating around yesterday. Does yours have power steering? Mine does not, it has all the power you have to steer it
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

It's beautiful and 62 degrees right now. Sun is shining. Gonna be a nice night for Chick Fil A tonight! Lookin good till the weekend here. 90 and muggy on Friday. I'll have to turn the AC back on. Sunday is looking like our wettest day. Hope they reschedule the BOP at Summit. They probably will.... to the next weekend, and I'll be in friggin NY golfing.

OMG is Brian whining this morning!!!! How anyone can be complaining like this at 8:02 in the morning is beyond me. First.... he left early. Then with the angle of the sun this time of year, it was shining on his garage door sensors and the door wouldn't close. So... he has to go get his wife up, who isn't feeling well today, so he could get the door closed. (I didn't ask....) Then... he couldn't find the spare garage door remote - Tyler must have it in his car because it wasn't where it belongs!! He's gonna be in trouble later. Then.... he gets behind the school bus that he left early to miss, because some car in front of him was only doing 25 mph and he had to keep blowing his horn at the guy. So he was 2 minutes late... MY GOD!!

I said 'well you made it in and that's the important thing.' I didn't fall into the sympathy crap he loves to hear!!

So he's all complaining and muttering about crap around here too.... I should have said "I'll just shoot you now and put you out of your misery!"

I just keep singing the song 'It's A Great Day To Be Alive' to myself. I can be such a bit*h......

Nicole's class is going over to Berlin Center today to a wild animal sanctuary. They have lions, and tigers, and bears there, Oh My!! She's going to enjoy that visit, I'm sure.

I went to the garage last night and cleaned Teepo. She was all dusty from parking in that field on Sunday. Then I took the Lime Away to the detergent holding compartment of our washing machine, because it was rusty looking in there and had calcium buildups. The whole compartment pulls out and disassembles very easily and it's easy to clean. So I got that done and then set the washer on the cycle to "wash itself" so all that smelly stuff would be washed out of it. I love our washer and dryer. They're the Maytag Duo. All push button & front loaders. We've had them about 6 years now, I think. The washer washes really nice. Much better than the old agitator type machines. So that was the extent of my evening, lol. It's dark before 8:30 these days.

Jamesbo...... It's the same with the News idiots around here too. It gets me in the winter, they're standing out by I-90 or somewhere in the midst of the blizzard and ice reporting about how bad it is outside! I think it's stupid the way they try to sensationalize the weather. Yes, we can see it's snowing and blowing and drifting, you idiot! The same with the rain and storms.....

Nice looking place ya got there, John! I'd hate to drive Teepo down that long gravel driveway. I still don't have gravel yet for our new driveway. Larry hasn't called around. I'm keeping on him though. I wish I had a lift in the garage! I could put her up there and clean and paint underneath her......

Glad to hear everyone is fairing the storm well. I hope my "Swamp People" like Troy and Liz and Junior and all are fairing well too! Hard to say what this storm will do to their 'gator' season, lol. I'm sure there will be some extra drama on the show when it comes back on, lol. I love that show!!

Well you all have a great humpday!! Brian is complaining to someone on the phone now about how his day started.... Gonna be a long day! ARRRRRGGGHHHHHH.....

Last edited by cutlassgal; August 29th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happidity Humidity Dayity to Y'all

I just lost ALL de stuff I wuz gonna post cuz I decided to look at Johns pics before posting dis. Caarrraap! So here's de Readers digest

Mike - change yer clothes to look like Jake or Elwood and grab a white cane. Take yer pups witchu to Awful House and tell dem dey are de blind dogs.

Jamesbo - I agree wit de halapenos. Gotta have sum more of dem and add some more garlic. Heard it will also ward off Justin Bieber so de more de merrier..

John - Nice cover. I'll post a pic of mine when it gets here. Y'all got a nice size yard there. Gravel looks good!

Scot - That thread was for Al Graff. Personally I don't think it's wonky - he just likely forgot what it was like before. Most likely air in the gearbox/pump

Sandy - Just an FYI. Told ILT I recommended that PS hose set to you and you were disappointed in the 65 vs 55 pricing. Turns out they have 2 catalogues: a print one and a pic one. I was referring to the pic one. Chuck said no problem and gave me the hoses for 55. Said all I had to do was mention that. Not bragging - I just wanted you to know that if there's a discrepancy on any future parts you order don't be afraid to mention why you want the lower one. BTW one thing I like BETTER about ILT than Fusick? ILT ships flat rate regardless how much the box weighs. Fusick charges by box size AND weight. Bummer.

You should have kept some rotten peaches to put in Brians desk for day like today. Would prolly make you smile, but then he'd know who did it huh?
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Pray for all of those in New Orleans and Louisianna...they are having a rough time. It almost makes me feel guilty that because of that storm the weather here in Houston is amazing! Breezy, cool, almost perfect if not for the suffering of our neighbors.
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Well, I took a vacation day to replace a broken spring on my garage door (jeeesh is a wooden door heavy!), and to put water seal on my concrete steps, which I power washed this last weekend. Now, I didn't need a day to do that, but it's nice out, and it's supposed to rain on Saturday (remenants of Issac), and I wil be working Sunday and Monday $$$! Sandy, put a lift on your Christmas wish list for santa...mebbee he'll come through! Start throwing the hints early (like now) and maybe you'll have him wore out by December.
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I just heard that the hurricane has been downgraded to a tropical storm. Call it what you will LA was not in an easy spot. Prayers for all.

It's nice here today, a little overcast but blue sky here and there. The sun will peak out once in a while. It's a little humid but heck this is Atlanta.

Scot I've been following that steering thread. It doesn't have much to do with me but I'm going to try Oldcutlass' suggestion of just turning the lash adjustment. Mine is not power steering, and it's about 15 turns lock to lock it seems.

Adrian you couldn't find anything closer that 5 hours away? Oh, or is this a vintage something? Too bad you guys don't have Saturns over there. They are fairly benign but excellent cars.

Allan I wanted to tell you that when I changed the oil in the car the other day I gave the engine cradle a good going over and there is no rust. A couple little scrapes but no rust, and I was happy about that. I forgot about your oil boat thing until I was out there ready to go, so I just winged it and like every other time got oil all over the axle and frame. I'd love to find a filter relocation kit for it, but there really isn't any place to put it. Near the back bumper maybe. How is your frame replacement going?

Sandy how much is that gravel going to cost? Maybe you could trade the gravel for a lift. That way you've got parking for an extra car, too.

Work tonight, so I'm going to get a couple things done before hand. I wonder what work's been like lately, probably extra planes in Atlanta due to all the cancellations.
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cutlass Lover

Just a gorgeous afternoon here now! Perfect for Chick Fil A tonight!!!! Breezy and temp is 72. Gonna have to take a long sleeve shirt with me, cause when the sun sets, it's gonna be chilly.

Our computers were down from about 9:30 to noon today - just to add to Brian's aggravation, lol. He had to go out and buy a new router and hook it up. Now Steve's quotes are backed up 20 deep!! They haven't had a chance to get to Steve's stuff. Phones have been busy this afternoon, which is a good thing for me.

WE'RE GETTING GRAVEL FRIDAY!!! Larry called me at noon and told me. Finally, a driveway out to that garage! No more having to put her away early before the yard gets wet and spongy. No more getting her out late cause I have to drive over the wet spongy yard. WooooooHoooooo! It's costing us $20.20 a ton, that's with delivery included, 20 tons of gravel.

They're gonna deliver it at 8 am Friday morning. I took a vacation day Friday so I have a nice long weekend, but I have to take Tincanio to Don Joseph Toyota over in Kent at 8:30. I'm gonna have the rear wiper blade replaced - this one is in shreds. And no, they don't sell them at the store or part stores. It's a dealer item. I'm also gonna have them check out the things I've gotten recall notices about. The newest recall is the side air bags. I need to ask them how much an inner plastic wheel well liner thing will cost too, cause she doesn't have one on the rear passengers side for some reason. I didn't notice that when I bought it, or I'd have had Don Sitts put one on. Don't know what I'll do after I'm done there. I haven't had a day off yet this summer that I could enjoy just as a day off. The ones I had off, I laid around in pain... Maybe I'll go over to Newton Falls to the cemetery. Haven't been there since May. We'll see. Maybe I'll just lay in my lounge chair and enjoy the birds and the quiet. But most likely, I'll be doing something I haven't gotten around to doing that needs done.
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Turned out nice here. Sun's out and clear blue sky. Warmed up to 64° but the breeze makes it feel cooler. Dang mushrooms are starting to show up again, so I doused the area with clorox. See if Jamesbo's solution will help or just make them ultra white.

Mike - Too bad about the oil change. That lil boat makes changing the oil on a Saturn actually easy. I hated having to clean all that drip off the frame. I'm not replacing the subframe on my wife's Saturn, I'm putting a fishplate reinforcement in. I have to grind one of the rust bubbles flat and then make a template of the area with cardboard. Pick up some 3/16" plate steel and cut it out. I'll get a muffler shop to weld it in. Should only need about 8 tack welds to hold it in. Then I'll POR it. We're only talking about a section that's 17 " X 3" that needs attention. I'll take some pics when I do it.

Dan - hope you enjoy the time off. Only thing I don't like about some brands of water seal is the smell. Be careful with them springs, they pack a mean punch. Don't ask....

Steve - Done! Don't forget John is in that group. From what I heard on the news its not as strong a storm as Katrina, but it has the potential to cause more flooding because the storm is slower moving and tide surges on the Mississippi will be sustained for longer times. The news was focusing on the pumps that were NOT upgraded as part of the control measures. No matter how well prepared you are for these type of disasters, something's gonna happen that is just bad.

Jamesbo? - mmm, mmm, mmm Mater and Cuke salad. Fresh from de garden. Things are looking a little bare now dat I pulled all de beans las night. Not quite 20 pounds. Took me over an hour to clean em all. Might have to go out an whack whitey one o dese days jesta say I didit dis year. Good thing I gots a supply of whiteys ta whack. I figger if whitey goes somewhere ta hide, he ain't mentta be found. Move along and play anudder....less worry or frustration.
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Morning all, another great day this is turning out to be, clear skies and temps around 70.

We hit an 80 Jamesbo so not too bad

All the cars around us Mike are not ones we want or out of our price range. I would love to road trip it Allan but I have no car that can pull a trailer to tow it back

Sounds like full steam ahead for your driveway Sandy Bet your over the moon with joy

Time for more searching for quotes wish me luck lol

Adrian
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:45 AM
CQR

Morning all.

The downhill slide continues to the weekend. We have the last supercruise on Saturday, but I think the wife is gonna axe me to go get hay with her.

If I do go, I may break out the AA since I havent moved it since last winter.

There was a nicely done up 67-F85 at the bowling alley last night. He had it all muscle car'd out. Tinted windows, hood locks, tall stance with big meats in the rear. sounded good, but just didn't have that bigblock growl.

We bowled well enough to sweep all 4 points last night. That makes us 7-1 so far, and should keep us in 2nd place. Its a long season and wont be done until April, so anything can change (except my lack of consistency.)

Sandy good to hear your gettin the driveway done in time for the off season,

Allan, Good luck keepin up on the exercise routine, Dad went in for his Aneurism check up. They went back in thru the femoral artery and up to the bean. They found 3 more small ones, but didn't seem to think they were gonna be an issue. I sure need some more exercise, I'm starting to get thicker than I would like.

Hope everyone is staying dry down there.

Happy Thursday!
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:54 AM

Mawn'in all

Me thinks Issac is gone for good [headed to Ohio]

I "THINK" John is on the Slydel side of Lake Pontchartain, Hope he's OK. He lived in de city when Katrina hit and really got it bad.

Adrain, 80's great, good round

Allan, Rule # 1 'bout golf'in. If ya hit whitey whar "Mr. No Shoulders " lives. Let it be.

Sandy, Congrats on de gravel. [You may be de only female I've ever known to get excited 'bout gravel]

Mike, I thought of you yesterday, Got one soft poach, Scattered, covered and smothered, 2 sausage patties, an wet toast [as opposed to dry] at de Awful house on Ga 140 Which one do you frequent?

Scot, How's round 2 go'in?
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:10 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Thursday Mawnin All

Well round 1 was a total bust. Round 2 sounds promising so far.

Hopefully John and his gals is faring well.

Jamesbo I read where the opportunists have disarmed the DOT cameras along the ATL Autobahn for a little pocket money That is crazy but what the real question is what won't they steal?

Sandy congrats on finally getting your gravel delivery scheduled Too bad Blue is mad at us again because maybe he can find a inner fender panel for Tincanio at the bone yard.

Well yall have a great day!
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Good evening all, bit of thunder tonight, lets hope we don't get any heavy rain.

Thanks Jamesbo, I'm sure you could shot that too with a partner

Had a fathers dad night at Minettes' school tonight, was good. Played some games and the kids sang to all the dads.

Well time for bed, have a good day olds friends

Adrian
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

It's a balmy 56 degrees here, lol, and sunny. Headin towards the 80's. Supposed to be in the 90's tomorrow. Now they're saying Saturday should be dry, but Sunday and Monday we'll get the rain from that storm. The BOP at Summit is on Sunday. I don't know if it's a 'rain or shine' show or not. I'll have to try to find out.

Went to Chick A Fil A last evening. It was a gorgeous night. Tonight should be nice for Bellacino's.

Brian is still muttering to himself back here, lol. They got quite a few of Steve's quotes knocked out last evening. But there's still a lot of them sitting here. He'll be back tomorrow. And I'm off!!!!!!!!!!

Adrian.... Nice to hear from ya!

Clint.... Hope you get to go to the cruise!

Wonder how Don and his wife are doing? He hasn't been on in months....

Paul..... where you hiding at, lol?

You all have a good day. I'm gonna enjoy my 'Friday' today.
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Captain Starfire

Whelp, we got thru....

Thanks to everybody for their kind words and prayers.... the worst is now over.

It finally stopped the steady raining this morning; it's on & off now. We're about 5 miles from Hammond, LA, where the rain gauges are: we got 17" from Tuesday nite thru this morning . Definitely a new record; I don't know how much of that was in the last 24 hours.

There was a water moccasin swimming across our back yard this morning.... he looked lost... maybe he lost his young-un's, with any luck...

We're more or less trapped here, 'cause the streets are all flooded in all directions; but thank goodness, the house (and garage) are hi and dri.

The generator has been running nonstop since 6:30 last nite when we finally lost power; I figger it will be a while before it's restored. Entergy -- the big electricity provider down here -- reported that there are about 700,000 customers w/out power in LA last nite; my gawd. Our land phone line is out, but the DSL is still up.

Jamesbo, we're on the western edge of the lake, although we're quite a good distance from it, thank goodness. Slidell is at the eastern edge, about 40 miles from here. A lot of those areas in the east are pretty prone to flooding (N.O. East and southeast St. Tammany Parish); much of that is lo-lying.

Yeah, Sandy, we have 5 acres and love it; but that pretty turf in the Tuesday pictures has become Lake Ponchatoula....see the new pic's.

I'm not wild about the gravel, either; especially with the Vette and Starfire; but it is what it is; we moved here after Katrina, and it was a seller's market; so our choices were somewhat limited. We just wanted out of the city, and I have to say, I'm glad we did.

I recently got a price of $10,000 to blacktop the road; I'd pay a few thousand myself, but getting money from the other users is like Mission Impossible; in fact, it's like getting blood from a turnip to even get gravel money from them.

Fab you're getting your little road graveled... sounds like you got a fantastic price ; it's pretty expensive down here.

The lift is my favorite toy... I even did my riding mower maintenance on it last weekend, which you can see in the last pictures. I strapped it to the ramps and launched it on up. If I had a 13' ceiling in the garage, that would really be great. Maybe next garage.

Thanks, Allan... each tropical storm seems to have its own "personality"; we didn't get much wind here for Isaac: maybe a couple 60-mph gusts, and about 40 sustained. It was was a major, major rain event , however....and you're right, it moved like molasses in January. Katrina at least came in and left.... she knew she wasn't welcome .
Those tides and surges are for the Lake and Gulf shores.... the south and east winds in the Gulf jam the Gulf water into the LA coastline. The Mississippi River, thank God, is no threat to anybody during hurricane season. Those levees are tested during the big snow melts in the north and midwest US each spring, and for extraordinary, widespread rain events in the US.

So again, thanks for the thoughts & prayers! We appreciate them...
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM

John,

Glad y'all are Ok. Guess ya won't make it to de mountain dis weekend.

I'd be careful of Mr. No Shoulders. I hate dem suckers.
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wow John! That's some water ya got there! Glad your house and garage are above it, and you all are fine. Hopefully it won't take long to recede. You watch out for them snakes - I wouldn't like that at all!!! So you're close to Hammond... that's where our Swamp People person, Bruce Mitchell is from, lol. Do you ever see him? When I ever get to LA, I'm gonna try to meet Troy from the show, lol. I hope all the swampers stayed safe too!
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Captain Starfire

I'm a swamp people today...

James, as long as they don't cancel our flight and we can make it out, we're headed to Hiawassee tomorrow; flight isn't until 5 p.m., so that will give the water even more time to recede.

Gal, didn't know they had a 'swamp person' from Hammond... I've actually never seen it, but I know it has its followers. I hear a lot about it.

There's really a fuzzy boundary b/w us and Hammond -- especially since I'm not in Ponchatoula proper; there's a sign about a mile away that says Hammond Corp. limit, but nobody there says they're in Hammond since they're served by the Ponchatoula post office.

Southeastern LA Univ. is in Hammond, which is where I went back to school in '06. So I feel as if I have quadruple residency (N.O. - home town; Ponchatoula - residence; Hammond - church, school, etc.; and Hiawassee - heart ).

Newsflash: Entergy has 684,472 customers w/out power. They said they have 10,000 workers from 24 states who have offically begun to restore power. I hope "the girls" in Metairie are the first to get it back. My Aunt Carmy is desperate 'cause she hasn't had coffee in almost 3 days.... and their fridge is getting pretty tepid; I should have set them up with an ice chest; but everybody was scrambling like headless chickens, so I'm not surprised. They'll get by. We'll go visit them if we can make it to the N.O. airport in Kenner (just west of Metairie) tomorrow.

Right now there's a big emergency in my parish (Tangipahoa) - a dam for the Tangipahoa River (which forms Lake Tangipahoa in Percy Quin State Park in MS north of us) is about to give, which will threaten about 50,000 more homes along the river between Robert (just a little northeast of us) to Kentwood, LA (right below the MS border... home of Britney Spears ). God help them... the illustrious reporters are in the field documenting their misfortune. Thank God that doesn't threaten us, but it's just adding to the general misery.
See y'all....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 30th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Always room for one more

Good evening everybody.

John so glad to hear from you and I'm glad you weathered the storm pretty well. As it were.

Been overcast and drizzly here all day. Well, from what I saw because I was sleeping most of the day. Hope that's it for the evening.

Sandy I hope your gravel is on time and doesn't take too long to put in. Does this mean Teepo will permanently reside in the back garage? No need to sweat the weather now.

Jamesbo you know I've seen several people bring their "pets" into the Awful house over the years. Plenty of people bring little bitty dogs inside their jackets, one time I saw a guy with a snake wrapped all around him and hidden by his jacket. You couldn't really tell until he opened up the lapel a little and the snake stuck his head out. Needless to say he didn't stay too long. The 'house I go to is on Hwy 138 right next to the Quick Trip in Stockbridge. I've been going there so long they get to cooking my breakfast when they see me drive in the lot.

Clint how'd you do with the Hupp? I've only seen one other AA and that was at the Lake Festival in Celina, OH last year. The guy had his family business on the side, I guess that was there work truck for a lot of years.

Okay time for work. Methinks work won't be too happy tonight. Hope I at least get out a little early in the morning.

Have a great night all and I'll see you manana. Sorry, I don't have the tilda to put over the first N.
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Good Evening Everyone.

First of all, glad to hear things are ok for you John and those affected by the storm are in my thoughts.

Sandy, I'm here, I'm HERE! Good luck with the gravel.

I haven't been on this week because I have either been busy or tired or under the weather.

I went to 2 cars shows last weekend and a cruise night Tuesday. I spent tonite working on the Cutlass. The driver's window is not moving properly, so still need to figure that out. I will be posting about that in the build thread.

And last night I went bowling. A few people from my league have been bowling for fun (and practise) all summer, so I figured I join them last night. It is amazing how out of practise you can get after not bowling since April

Adrian, good luck with the continuing car shopping. Do they charge for shipping by weight of the car?

Scot, good luck with the next round.

Happy Friday everyone.
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Late to the party, again, I see....
Been busy most of the day. Dropped Graeme at college for his orientation and went for breakfast with the ol pharts. Graeme called at 11:00 and said the orientation was done so I decided to pick him up. Good thing too. He needs another 'bundle' of supplies from an art supply store 3 miles down the road. So we got that, ka ching ka ching, and dropped it back at his college locker. Needs it on Tues. Up here Mon is a Holiday.

Spent the afternoon taking the rear bumper and electrical off the Cutlass so I can get to the gas tank ok. Siphoned out about 6 gallons and filled the Sonata. I'm not sure how much is left in the tank because the car battery is dead as a door nail. Yummy gas....I don't like that stuff in my mouth.

Took lots of pics of the fuel tank and connections. Only thing that worries me is that to get it out looks like I have to drop it forward and that will put any gas left in the tank into all three vent holes.

I guess I better study up on that some more before I start undoing those gas tank strap bolts.

John - if you see another mocasin? Get our your 12 gage and let him have it. Y'all gots a nice fishin pond there! Prolly take a while for the water levels to go down. Does all that flooding affect the Parishes ability to provide fresh water supply?

Paul - hope your shows were fun. If you have a regulator problem, I have some spares. Only thing I don't remember is if they are interchangeable between post and hardtop doors. I would think they are..

Clint - The only day I don't go out walking in the morning is Thursday. Other than that I've been sticking to it - rain or shine. I am really happy with the progress so far. Maybe by Christmas I won't look like Santa Clause... after ya get to 40, it's really a chore to stay from getting a little thicker. Have fun truckin with the Mrs!
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM

Alan, if you got as much gas as you can out of the tank it shouldn't be a problem. You will have to move it forward and tilt it to get it around the rear frame / bumper brace but it's not enough to get fuel out of it.

I hate to say it but you didn't need to take any of the bumper stuff off...none of it Just disconnect the sending unit wire and feed it through the grommet so it's loose.
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Alan, if you got as much gas as you can out of the tank it shouldn't be a problem. You will have to move it forward and tilt it to get it around the rear frame / bumper brace but it's not enough to get fuel out of it.

I hate to say it but you didn't need to take any of the bumper stuff off...none of it Just disconnect the sending unit wire and feed it through the grommet so it's loose.
Steve, I don't think there's a whole lot more in the tank but I'd guess at least 5 or 6 more gallons. Yeah, you're right I didn't have to take off the bumper to do the tank. But I had to take off the bumper to replace it with a dual cut out one. So it was coming off anyway. I do like that it gives more light and space not to bang my head on. I'll be starting a thread on this so you can follow it. Got Graeme to help me with the removal. Also had to take out the rear bumper brackets - Ken didn't use the right hardware to install them and I'm really pissed about it. Turns out the more I see in hidden places, the more short cuts he seems to have taken on it.

I did disconnect the sending unit wire and it's hanging down loose, Just still have to disconnect the tank ground wire and then undo all them little clamps/hoses. Sure would be nice to be able to stand under there.
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM

Yeah, the spring clamps are the hardest part. And getting the 40 year old dry rubber to let go of the vent tubes.

I think my tank had about 5 gallons left in it and it wasn't an issue. I siphoned as much as it would but then it just wouldn't siphon anymore. I'll follow the thread and if you have any questions or concerns maybe I can help...I just did mine a few months ago.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Kiwi Ciera Driver

A fine spring day here.

Ruined only by finding out the Ciera motor is already out .030 - and IF it needs bored any more there are no bigger pistons that we can find...

Back to the drawing board.

Still, its Friday here, almost 7pm and time for a beer!
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:12 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Friday Mawnin All

Glad to hear you guys were prepared John and that the worst is behind you

Scumdog, I knew it was 5 O' Clock somewhere

Well I better get cracking if I want to get anything accomplished today
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:23 AM

Mawn'in all

Anuuter pretty one down ere

Mike, When I Googled Awful house in Stockbridge, Ga.
I got 5 of dem.

Guess what? Next to eat of dem is a menu tab.
Guess what? De all have de same menu.

I got yours pegged. When I wanta burn up 'bout $100 in gas, I'm gonna come see ya.

Allan, My step son jes granulated for College. It's like gett'in a raise.

John, I hope de water comes down enough fer y'all to get out.We'd luv to see ya,if ya have time.

Anyone wanta play in de Atlanta Vietnam Veterans Golf tournament in Roswell on Oct 29th?

Have a great day Olds friends