The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old January 13th, 2019, 01:59 AM

Would love to get that laptop in a few months, or sooner but we have made other plans. This year we will be going to Japan for a 2 week holiday so alas it will have to wait.
Inline it would be cheaper for you to fly to a closer country with less taxes and just fly back with the bits or go on a road trip, they're always fun
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone

Well sort of. Yesterday I had another 2 cups of coffee and to quote Leonard McCoy from Star Trek, "Dammit, i can't cure everything Jim, I'm just a simple Dr". Anutter night with only 3 1/2 hours of sleep.

Well the super puter is built, OS installed and running. Gamers, they have to get everything to 'look' cool. The side of the case is transparent and the internals change colors on a rotating basis. The keyboard is lit and also changes colors. Personally I don't see the need for it because who ever looks at those things when they're gaming or typing anyway???

Last day today of the Meridian Open. Gotta set the PVR to record because I still have to finish watching the semi finals. Right now I'm watching Niklas Edin and he's got his hands full at times with Bruce Mouat so this could go either way. Of course I'm cheering for Niklas; he's been my favorite for a long time. Scary part is that even though he's the European Champion, Bruce Mouat from Scotland is showing potential to dislodge that title. Ah yes, youth and treachery rears its ugly head...

Marc - Good that you got it figured out. I think it's amazing that a big guy as you likes working on such small and delicate parts.

Adrian - Another jet setting vacation? You won't be able to afford to move if you keep that up. Cool train setup. Where's the bridge that got damaged?

Jouni - You'd be surprised how fast some windows can pay you back when you compare actual heat loss now to what you'd gain from the installation of new. For your climate (like ours) I'd go with triple pane and vinyl because nothing will rot or need attention other than basic cleaning. Your tax structure in Finland sucks. It makes ours look good and that's not saying much.

Glenn - where are ya and whats not happening???

Mike - That guy named Julie posted 2 conflicting pics. One shows the cowl tag from a 78 which matches his car perfectly. The other shows what appears to be a totally bogus VIN. I'd love to see the Bill of Sale on that car. I think Joe P nailed this one. Likely a stolen car that's been sold overseas as it's a Feb 1978 build, but I think it's past any statute of limitations? And besides, who would care to check now? It's not like it's a desirable collector car that someone would want back now. It did have a color change too BTW but Julie hasn't said who did it. Still a lovely looking car though.

Jim - You back yet? I'm real tempted to make some crayfish gumbo now but it might just turn into shrimp delight....
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:19 AM

Heyheyhey, hoooold your horses!!! You mentioned the f-word almost! Vinyl on old house, never!
We use only breathable, organic materials on our house, even wall-papers are really paper; costs double versus vinyl ones.
I repair my old house with only traditional methods, and keep quiet about it, since it wouldnt fill any todays laws.
I have really simple reasoning for it; this house has stood 71 years and is in good shape, which cant be sayed from alot of never houses build with new fancy materials, which in paper work, but in reality on our climate just rot your house or turn it to mould-bomb. And as average ( our electricity Company keeps up table from average kwh/ used per year with housetypes/ sizes etc) we use 1000kwh less per year than average house at same size. We use around 13500kwh per year, that includes heating the house, water, tv's, everything. No gas, almost zero wood ( all goes to sauna).

Last edited by Inline; January 13th, 2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni - Relax. Have some beers and light the sauna. Maybe put some sausages on the grill. I didn't say you had to go that way with upgrades, but it works really well in Canada. You have your own ways of dealing with your house so no worries. Your electricity bill is huge compared to ours BTW. Only thing different is we only use electricity more in the summer for central air conditioning. All our appliances (except stove and dryer) are Energy star, and lighting is all LED. This house is 2000 sq. ft and it's IMO relatively energy efficient. Built in 1998 and it hasn't rotted out yet I won't be around when it turns 70 so it only has to keep me happy while I'm on the green side.
Old January 13th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Home a little early from the Awful house. It was busy and people were waiting so I didn't stick around. I'd say that one is one of the busier ones that isn't close to the interstate.

I don't know what the VIN tag on a 77 or 78 Cutlass is supposed to look like, but I thought it was strange that the data plate was held on by hex head screws. They should be rivets with sealant on them. My first thought was it was stolen as well. I don't remember how long Julie said he's owned it. Wouldn't it be funny if he was the one who stole it and after all these years he's getting called out on it.

Adrian that must be some big autoclave. We have one at work but it would probably only fit one of those cars.

I had thought I'd cut down a couple trees over at the shop today, but it rained and now everything is wet and muddy. So no tree cutting. Don't know what I'll do. Maybe just hang out on CO all day.

Be good everyone.
Old January 13th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Oh no, not again...

Good Morning!

Managed to get some sleep last night, amazing what exhaustion will eventually do regardless of a bad back.
Not much on the go today, it looks fantastic outside, nice and sunny, but the sun is hanging there uselessly because it's still well below freezing. But it beats cloud and snow.
I might decide to fumble with a watch, that tends to make the hours go in a blur.

I'm very mechanically minded, and I've always enjoyed taking things apart and then getting them working again. I'm a totally self-taught mechanic; graduate of the School of Hard Knocks. My philosophy always has been if they can teach high school dropouts to do this, what's holding me back? (no offense to any high school dropouts) I still love doing engines, I wish I'd have learned how to do the machining though. Assembly is one thing, but a guy who knows how to shape and form and correct problems with metal is a real artist. If I could do it all over again I would learn machining.
The only reason i got into watches was the fact that I have no engines to build and they were getting too heavy; - and the fact that the first old watch I ever bought I got horribly screwed on. I swore I'd learn how to make it work, and I did. The important lesson there is don't impulse-buy anything, it can become a life changer.

Yep; definitely a day to take it easy; the cat has decided to jump up on my watch bench and have a snooze. She hates it when I make her move, or when I take a pen and draw happy faces on her foot-pads when she's sleeping.It'll take me an hour to get rid of all that fur too. Good as time as any to start searching parts online...

Have a great day!
Old January 13th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - The cowl tag changed from rivets and goop to those hex bolts with Philips heads in 1973 so the cowl tag on that car is bona fide. Ya know it's interesting about your comment being what if he was the guy who did the 'change'. According to him the car was first registered in Sweden (1977-09-19) which I find very laughable because according to the body tag it wasn't even assembled until 4th week of February 1978. Something about this really smells and it's not herring from Denmark. The VIN tag also has numbers and letters that don't match the font of the Lansing (or any other GM) plant that produced it, so I'm thinking yeah buddy - your story has some issues that need to be addressed. MAYBE the guy who stole it created the false paper trail when he installed the false VIN tag, but no way that VIN is original to the car.
Old January 13th, 2019, 01:32 PM
Always room for one more

Another thing Allan the numbers in the VIN don't all match each other. The 3K5 R M are of one kind of stamping, and the other numbers are a different kind of stamping. The last six and the 7 up front are crisper and shinier. That is funny, he says the car was registered 5 months before it was built. Now that's planning ahead.

Didn't do jack today. Finally got going and went to Walmart for the week's groceries. Also put gas in the car. Now it's time to think about dinner and then hit the sack early. Work tomorrow. It's going to be a week of training on the NDT machine, checking the rims for internal cracks. Me and another guy will be the first ones to train. Don't know what's going to happen to the guys running the machines now. Hope we aren't sending them to the soup line, that would make training a little awkward.
Old January 13th, 2019, 01:53 PM

According to the weather lady this morning every state and territory is in for extreme heat wave today
The trip to Japan will be a last farewell to grandad so to speak as we hope to have his estate all settled by then and both grandma and grandad loved Japan.
I'll get a pic of the bridge tonight for you Allan so you can see how it looks.
We currently have 8 autoclaves that size and are getting another 4 installed to cope with the latest upgrades to the plant. At the moment we are producing around 2.6 million standard meters every month and with the upgrades that will increase to around 4 million.
I haven't seen the post regarding this car sale but by the sounds of it it sure is fishy.
Old January 14th, 2019, 07:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Another hour or so and I'll be at the grill Dr getting 2-6 shaped for a new crown. Slept late today and shocker, no one has yet posted. Must be something happening in the real world..

Brendan Bottcher wins the Meridian Open! I'm proud of the kid. He's come so far in the curling world and is a real breath of fresh air. John Epping just couldn't keep up with him.

Ok, more drivel later....
Old January 14th, 2019, 09:58 AM

Made an appt. with the Dr. to see how bad those two discs in my back are, and what treatment options are available. We have the least snowiest on record so far, a couple of feet below average. we have just been getting like an inch at a time, the most was 3" back in November. It has been going under Michigan for the most part, Kansas over to D.C. missing us. I haven't even bothered to get gas for the snow blower yet.
Old January 14th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Challenging day today. The inspectors that I worked with were top notch and very helpful. I made a few mistakes and they showed me the right way without drama. The worst part was standing all day. My work boots are not terrific but that doesn't much matter sitting at a desk. I may have to get some inserts. A couple times during the day we were pretty busy and hustling those main wheel halves around in a hurry is a pretty good workout. I should sleep good tonight.

It's supposed to be sunny out today and it isn't, it's overcast and cold. Well, maybe tomorrow. I think Tiger and I will run some errands this afternoon. Planning on seeing my Mom this weekend. I thought it would be a quick trip but we are off next week for Milk Day so I'll have a long weekend. Good for me.

Allan the new Crown I want is an Imperial. Actually I'd rather have a LeBaron.

Coming home this afternoon I saw a guy in a new Camaro who had just plowed into the end of a guard rail. There's a place on the street that dips fairly steep while curving and this guy totally missed it and stacked right into the rail. Smashed up the front of the car pretty good. When I went past he had just gotten out and was just standing there looking at the front of the car. I could see the air bags had gone off. Not a good day for him.

Okay gonna get a few things done. Hope everyone is having a good Monday.
Old January 14th, 2019, 12:53 PM

Morning all, hotter then hell here at the moment and its 6:45am
As some of you may know I don't speak to my family and haven't for many years. Well yesterday I woke up to the news that my mother had passed away and I am not welcome at her funeral from most of my siblings except one under threat of violence. It's been so long all I can remember why I stopped talking to them is we had a few issues that didn't get sorted and clearly they are stuck in the past.
Take care everyone,
Adrian
Old January 14th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wowsers! I didn't expect to be in the chair for 4 hours. Apparently neither did the Dentist. But he had to redo my crown impression plate 3 times to get a good one. Man that takes a lot of time. I got stabbed with the needle around 9:45 and the freezing is just coming out now. That's a healthy dose of nerve toxin... Anywho, the temp crown is in now and the permanent is ordered so it should be installed about 2 weeks from now. That's when I'll have to pay up for it.

Mike - Who doesn't want a 64 Crown Imperial? I mean a decent one....

Dan - Good luck with the Dr appt. You're lucky the snow has stayed away so far. Knock on wood.... You never know how the weather goes in MI

Adrian - Mate, that's a bummer! I can't imagine why they would be so malevolent toward you. I met you, Tink and the girls and from my perspective you guys are spot on normal I don't think they have the right to tell you you're not welcome at your own Moms funeral. It should be your choice, without prejudice. Those siblings of yours need to see a good shrink if they harbor inner demons that long.

What a pleasant afternoon! Almost 4° here! Not doing anything else today because the tooth I had worked on is starting to ache a bit. I've got some ice in a glass of root beer to help it along.
Old January 14th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Always room for one more

Adrian I'm sorry, on a couple levels. It's too bad the woman died and it's really too bad your family has to act that way toward you. I hope this behavior never comes back to haunt any of you.

Allan my choice would be a 62. Actually a Crown Imperial would be a limousine.

We just got back from mailing some letters. I took a detour to go on the road I drove home on, and right at 2 hours later the roll back had just loaded up the smashed up Camaro. Didn't see the driver. The front is smashed more than I thought and the guard rail is toast. I'd have taken a picture but there was a cop there running interference(or maybe interfering) and with the new laws about holding things while you're driving I figured it's best not to.

The psychic in me says I'm about to have some chili.
Old January 14th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Unfortunately that's pretty much my family in a nut shell. That is why I walked away, too much drama and no help when you expect it from family so I helped myself and got out of that toxic environment. I have done well with my life and am happy at where Tink and I have gotten with no help from anyone. I have my own family to think about now and this event just tells me there is no chance of ever fixing the family I had and to be honest I'm fine with that. Tink and I have big plans and don't need that negativity pulling us down.

62 or 64 crowns look pretty awesome to me guys, then again most classic cars over there are pretty cool. I have thought about buying an aussie classic and bringing it with us on our big move as if we have owned it for more then 6 months than there is no import taxes on it which would be cool but I don't think that is in the cards. If I got a good one I reckon I could sell it for twice just because it's from here and very hard to get over there

How much are you looking at roughly for your crowns Allan?
Old January 14th, 2019, 06:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Adrian, good on ya mate! You've got your ducks right where they need to be and no one has the right to tell you otherwise. Crowns are not cheap. My insurance pays 50% so I pay 675.00. After I get really really really old (like Jim ) I get Senior coverage from the gov't and I don't think they give as good a coverage. My missus is having a crown prep done tomorrow at her dentist but I don't think the crown will be like mine. The one I'm getting is porcelain coated precious metal base, which is why it's so pricey. Something like a gold or silver crown is a lot less but I've invested heavily in my teeth over the past 35 years or so. No point in cheaping out now.

So you think that Camaro was a write off Mike? Chili? Hmmm, interesting choice. I whipped up some homemade hamburger helper yesterday. Enough for the cast of Spartacus or to fill my son's hollow leg, whichever got there first. He got there first. I love dishes like that. Ezpz and I pick only the good stuff I want for ingredients instead of that store bought crap. I'm surprised you didn't order in a deep dish pizza
Old January 14th, 2019, 08:10 PM
Oh no, not again...

Pretty busy at the plant today, have to come up with a new training program for our operators in a couple of days on a new circuit they're throwing together. It involves the use of hydrogen peroxide, so it could be pretty nasty stuff if not used correctly. Lots of prep work and then it'll be a few sessions standing in front of a crowd assuring them it'll be alright and that we really know what we're doing when I'm not altogether sure. I'll know more tomorrow.

Something clicked in my back this morning as I was putting on a coat. The relief was instantaneous, I actually spent the better part of the day feeling human again.

Adrian, sorry to hear about your family; I've got a brother who estranged himself and we haven't got a clue why. It hurts, but that's life. And I get it when you say you had to leave a toxic environment. Mine probably wasn't as bad as yours, but I ended up getting tossed out for no real reason except that I was 18 (my dad is very old school) and it's taken the last 38 years to try and repair that. Now he needs me and I have to let bygones go and be the dutiful son. Yeah, families suck.

Allan, Crowns are expensive. But, I've had to have a couple teeth yanked in the past year, and a crown is a lot better than a hole. Now I'm going to have to find the time to go back and get some bridges built, not sure I want implants. Not sure what my insurance would cover; probably not much; I find the glossier the brochure the less that is actually covered, and our company's plan is pretty glossy with lots of slippery paper.

And I don't care much for Crown Imperials; never could wrap my head around the styling. A far more useful car would be a Toyota Crown, albeit it's probably uglier.

Mike, your feet and back are gonna hurt tomorrow. I hate bad work boots, they're largely responsible for my back issues!

Dan, I'm sorry to hear about your back, I can feel your pain; really, I can, I've got similar issues coupled with disc degeneration. It's why I'm actually terrified that I won't be able to restore my Olds; I really wonder if I'm up to the movement. So the only advice I can give, if it means anything, is if there's a ghost of a chance they can fix it, take it, it beats the alternative of drugs and wheelchairs..

Now to carefully try and sleep...Have a good night!
Old January 14th, 2019, 10:14 PM

Adrian, so sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Perhaps you can visit the grave site afterwards. Marc, at this time I don't know what to expect. I have a good friend of mine who has gotten injections along his spine via a long type of fine tube that they snake up his vertebrae to inject pain killer at each disk. Though they give him Valium, he says it is unbelievably painful. I won't go that route, as I had injections into the facets some 30 years ago, and I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. But I just don't like the fact that two disc's are severely degenerated. I hope that there are other steps to take before surgery has to happen. Allan, the snow can keep missing us a far as I'm concerned.
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:03 AM

mawn'in

Well did cha miss me?

Spent an extra day in the mountains [since I'm still on the DL] Found out Saturday that a friends had passed up there, so today, I'm gonna suit up and head norte again for his funeral

Adrian, So sorry for your loss bit I've been to hundreds of funerals and never seen on "Invitation only"

Allan, I don;t want a 64 Crown Imperial
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:09 AM

Hi Guys, My good friend Tom used a saying to describe how bad things happen, or Murphy's law. It was "stepping in dog sh*t". Well this morning was another Tom's type of morning. As careful as I am I still seem to step in it and spread it all over. It's a moving target as Jack does it on the way out. Enuff of that.
Adrian, so sorry to hear about your Mom and how you're family is. The older I get the more I like the saying "You choose your friends but are stuck with your family".
Allan, I also had 2 crowns and a cleaning done at the dentist a couple days ago. I was in the chair from 10 to 1:30. Way too long. I'll never do 2 again in the same sitting. My dentist can make the crowns in one sitting. He used a device to digitally scan the tooth and teeth around it, then grinds it down to a stub and scans that. Then a 3 D printer type thing makes the crown. Then it is hardened in a furnace. Then he fits it to the stub and glues it on. They both seem fine. Cost me about $800. Total cost before insurance was about $2000. with cleaning and xrays.
Take care friends.
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone.

It's been less than a day and the gums around the crown tooth are still pretty sore, but not terrible. I popped some Ibuprofen extra strength and it helps a lot.

Hmmm, since no one wants a Crown Imperial I guess I'll just have to keep em all to myself. I remember the 66 model very well. Nice car, plenty of power, tons of room, quiet, and comfy as a overstuffed sofa. Silver exterior with red interior - very nice.
Old January 15th, 2019, 09:02 AM

My last dentist (no longer takes my insurance) used a scanner and then had them made in about 15 minutes on a 6 axis mini mill right in the office.
Old January 15th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Left work ridiculously early today. We finished up right after lunch and were gone by 1230. The sun is out so I'm going to take advantage and go run some errands and go get my hair cut. I could get used to leaving 2 hours early every day. But you're right Marc my feet have had it.

Sorry about your friend, Jamesbo. You coming right back or staying up there a few days again?

So I was thinking about going to look at a Delta 98.

I haven't been to the dentist since I've been in Atlanta. That's awhile. Don't have any problems, hate the dentist. Seems like that's good enough.

That Camaro will probably be totaled. A hood, fenders, and core support would probably get it back on the road, but since the airbags deployed that's usually a death sentence for a car. Might have to clean the drivers seat as well because I think the guard rail was doing about 50.

Tonight the psychic says meatloaf. I love predicting the future.

See ya's later.
Old January 15th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
So I was thinking about going to look at a Delta 98..
Can't believe you typed that. So,is it a Delta 88 or a 98? 2 different beasts which I'm sure you know.

BTW, I saw on the morning news that 2 awful house employees in Hotlanta got canned for pouring ketchup, mustard, honey and stuff on a sleeping customer. I find it hard to believe something like that could really happen. Fake news???
Old January 15th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Always room for one more

No the Delta 98 is fake news. You're killing me with all your Crown Imperial stuff.

The Awful house story is true. The guy was drunk and the workers were having some fun. Hey, everyone knows that if you fall asleep when you're drunk you're at the mercy of those around you. But that's nothing, a few years ago a cook convinced a homeless man to drink dishwasher soap. Said he'd give him 5 bucks. Well the soap burned the man's throat and he almost died. Spent a lot of time in the hospital and I understand now is very rich. The cook did indeed get fired and I think he went to jail. I'll have to look that one up.
Old January 15th, 2019, 01:35 PM

Welcome back Jim, sorry to hear about your friend mate.
You're right about that Glenn and I have chosen wisely I believe.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nOAPYGzQEQyrbM
Found this this morning, I wouldn't say no to this that's for sure
Time to get some things done around here, take care everyone,
Adrian
Old January 15th, 2019, 02:11 PM

Thanks mate

If ya really wanta get centered ya need to go every once and a while to a good ole mountain funeral. I wore a coat and tie and stood out like a sore dick. The guys in the group coulda built a house in half a day.

Mike, The guy who passed was the one who drug that lift out of the gas station in Helen that they turned into a restaurant. He was one of 10 brothers and sister that could do anything with their hands, About half of them worked building my house GREAT down to earth people,
Old January 15th, 2019, 02:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice find Adrian. Such a beautiful car and so well appointed. Usually the concept cars don't have a VIN and aren't legal to drive on the street. I see in one of the pictures the glass has the reveal space for where the VIN would be, but honestly I don't think it's there. And then I found this in the write up
Due to its status as a concept vehicle, the car has never been titled or registered
Did you ever manage to find that picture of the bridge?

Mike - Sheesh, you're a tuff crowd. I mention CI 2x and I'm killing you with all my CI stuff? You mention CI 2x and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'll keep away from that stuff in the future.

Marc - When I retired I carried over my employers Blue Cross coverage. It was better than buying the same plan after retirement even though they priced out the same. Only difference is that post retirement plans won't cover me for pre-existing conditions or medications, and there's a significant time wait to get dental coverages. Brochure?? Nope. It was one or nothing. I'm glad I stayed with my plan. It covers me till I turn the magic number and Seniors benefits takes over. Pretty good coverage too because most things are covered 80%. Dental (regular cleaning) is covered 100%. Same with fillings. Even covered my ambulance rides to the Sturgeon a few times and a semi private room. Sounds like you had a bit of a rough young life too. It's a pattern I've seen too often with people of our generation. It happened in our family also. Mom is still estranged and doesn't make the effort to pick up a phone. Probably can't remember the phone number though.....
Old January 15th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

I remember you talking about those guys Jamesbo. You took one of them food once when he was sick, he was like 90.

No it wouldn't bother you Allan because you're not an Imperial person(I was going to say Imperialist). It does seem a little convoluted but the Crown was a model of the Imperial Division, and the Crown Imperial was a Ghia-built limousine that royalty often rode in. Chrysler shipped a two door to Italy with 4 door doors and trim, and the Ghia people stretched the frame and rebuilt the car and sent it back. Chrysler lost thousands on every car and I don't think they made 1000 of them over I think 8 years. By the way, after 1970 the Crown model went away but they still used a little crown as decoration. Also by the way the Delta 98 was a friendly jab because I knew that would get you. You're not the only person who calls regular Imperials Crown Imperials, and I'm not the only one to ever have said Delta 98, though that is maddening.

Adrian I saw that car on ebay maybe a couple years ago. For 2K I think you should go for it. It would be pretty easy to register it with info from a parts car. Not that I would suggest such a thing. I'm guessing it does have a VIN, it looks like they took a car off the line and put the doodads on it. It just never got registered is all. Wonder why the Heritage Center sold it, I didn't think they sold anything.

Meatloaf was most excellent.
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:18 PM

I took my last 2 shifts off this week since mum passed so I’ll get that bridge pic for you next I’m at work Allan.
I’m sure you could get a vin if it didn’t have one and get that car registered. Or just park it up and keep it for future generations 😁 for 2k that’s not a bad investment lol
Just got hair cut and beard trimmed. Minette is also getting a haircut as she is back to school in a couple weeks and could do with it.
Old January 15th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good evening Gentlemen;

Adrian, sorry about your mum; - regardless of circumstances and outcomes, it's still gotta be tough.

Allan, yeah, it wasn't easy, but after a few years of eating out of garbage cans I got a break and ran with it. But one thing I will say, and pardon the political inference but I believe it to be true; Trudeau Senior ruined my prospects of a university education by basically keeping me essentially unemployable, destitute and homeless in the early 80s with his NEP. I had to do what I needed to survive, being a supposed member of the privileged majority the only options open were find some job or go to jail. There was no assistance or help for single white males in those days. Trudeau Junior is going to wreck my retirement by allowing the economy to inflate the money supply to worthlessness, as he finishes what his Old Man started. So I can't win, and I didn't even have a chance. When I hit 65 I'll be in the same boat as when I was 18; essentially unemployable and worthless with nothing but what I have on my back. In between that time, I've paid millions in taxes and such and never claimed a sick day.

The irony is that for a short while I seriously considered moving to Australia. At that time (1982) they were apparently in need of people. (Found out later that wasn't entirely true either, it was a scam that cost me $150 of my fast dwindling cash to get contacts and info that went nowhere) Then the little problem of my citizenship came up, and then I was going to head over to Europe and join the army, they were trying to draft me anyway. Wound up I was $20 short on the airfare with no way of earning more, so ended up spending the airfare on rent, food and clothes instead and stayed here.

Mike, Told ya! The best thing you can do is get a proper fitting set of work shoes. This was hammered home to me a few years ago. I had been off for a period of time because of my knee surgery, and when I came back to work I figured I'd just go and grab the brand-new boots I had in my locker. I had to walk back to the office in them, and by the time I made the kilometer or so walk I was completely hobbled as every point in my back lit off for the first time in 3 months. They hit the garbage pail right then and there.

Jamesbo, sorry about your friend; sounds like he was an interesting person.

Dan, wow...I hope it doesn't get that bad...back pain is the worst, and yeah, you're in worse shape than mine, but as I said, I feel for you, - take care of yourself!

My 1955 Olds parts catalog finally showed up today, so now I've got more to study. It's good to have the exploded diagrams that the only the parts books have to go along with the chassis manual.

Have a good night!
Old January 15th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Olds Friends:
I haven't been on here in a couple of days and man there is a lot to catch up on. I replaced a couple toilets, one downstairs and one upstairs. Man those things are heavy. The downstairs one went well until I got to the water cutoff valve coming out of the wall. The dummy that plumbed the house used a valve with the supply line to the toilet made on the valve. Trip to Home Depot to get a couple shark bite valves. Love those things. The one upstairs is where the grandsons take their showers. I get the toilet up and right in the corner by the tub there is mold. Boys have not been doing a good job of keeping the shower curtain wrapped around. So I spend a lot of extra time cleaning and treating the mold. Another trip to Home Depot to get a splash guard for the shower. Man I hate plumbing. The joys of home ownership. This afternoon I finished getting all the outside Christmas decorations up in the attic. I pack most of them and then have one of those Harbor Freight hoist that I use to get them in the attic.
Adrian I am sorry about your mother and your family situation. That is tough.
Jim, sorry about your friend. Sounds like he was a neat guy.
Allan, that is a long time to be in a dentist chair. My wife and I had a dentist we had gone to for probably 25 years. We got a call back in December from the girl that had worked for him since she was a young girl telling us he died in September. He was 62 and had a heart attach one Sunday morning while his wife and daughter were out. He was 62 years old. Talk about a shocker. Do Chrysler Imperials measure gas in Imperial gallons? Should be popular in Canada. Okay I know it was corny but couldn't help myself.
My wife is having her hysterectomy tomorrow at 1:00. She is having robotic surgery. We are very pleased with the surgeon. After our visit with him week before last he explained the pre-cancerous cells and put our minds at ease with that. My wife had to go off her Eliquis which makes us a little nervous since we had a friend die from a blood clot after surgery in October. She will be in the hospital one night and I will stay with her. I should be back on Thursday afternoon. The weather here has been cold and overcast and is supposed to warm up on Thursday and Friday and then we go in the deep freeze for the weekend.
Take care my friends
Glenn
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:59 AM

mawn'in

Speaking of plumbing, I fear, I've got a leak in the crawl space under the bathroom sink. When I turn on the hot water o shave, it gets hot way to quickly, only thing I can figger out is a leak near the faucet. I'm getting too old for crawl space plumbing

Thanks for the condolences guys, I'm blessed to have so many friends

While I was up in the mountains, I picked up an genuine Monty Python lumber jack hat for the grand baby, I was kinda hoping for a 'good job" reward from the Super Model, . We'll see

Allan, I never question Joe, He's forgotten more than I'll ever know, and he doesn't particularly like my humor [As witnessed with Blue Vista used photohsop to put the W-36 fender stripe on his wagon and I posted it]

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 16th, 2019, 06:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Cold here this mawnin and headed for the south pole next couple of days. Why should I be surprised? Oh well, I have the car plugged in so shouldn't be any problem getting it started today. Headed to the Saville in another hour to battle Norm. His wife Elizabeth plays lead and she has the strangest delivery anyone has ever seen. She throws the rock outside on every delivery but somehow it finds a way to creep back onto line and end up where it should be. I don't know how she does that....

Went yesterday and got my ears lowered. I think I waited a little too long this time but it feels good to have nice short trimmed hair. I was a little surprised that the price had gone up by a buck but I guess that's almost the norm every January 1st.

Jim - Sorry I missed reading your friend had passed. Sorry to hear about it and post condolences. I don't mind questioning Joe. Sometimes he's wrong and it's interesting when he admits it. Most of the time he's right though but he has a caustic way of posting information sometimes. I realize he's the technical guru on CO but his balance of people skills sometimes makes me wonder how he got to be so successful in his job.

Mike - good luck with your work boots. I saw some Dr. Scholls boot liners that were gel pads. Would something like that help? Somehow I doubt they would have anti fatigue mats in the tire shop, but maybe they should at some of the work stations?

Glenn - All the best to your wife as she has her surgery. And yes, we do measure our gallons in imperial measures. Our gallon is 4.54 L whereas your gallon is 3.78 L. So when Canucks see low gas prices in the US what they sometimes fail to take into account is both the size of the gallon, and the $ conversion. So for example in Rowlett you pay around 1.80/gal ( likely E85 or reg, our min octane is 87). That means 1.80 / 3.78 = .47/L. Convert to $C and that comes to 65/L. So the equivalent and equal comparison would be Rowlett US gallon size in Canada would cost $2.45. But an Imperial gallon would cost 2.95. Those are still excellent numbers when you consider the majority of Canada is paying close to 98/L and in some provinces over 1.30/L. Right now I pay 75/L with my gas discount card which makes driving semi affordable. I saw a thread here where Gas in California was being sold for 3.95/gal self serve and 4.95/gal full serve. That's definitely whack-a- mole pricing. Gotta love CA huh?

Ok, time for brekkie and get ready.
Old January 16th, 2019, 07:27 AM

Allan, Caustic? Do you remember Norm ?
Old January 16th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Morning Guys:
I will be getting ready to go to the hospital shortly but took a few minutes to see what is going on. Jim, I remember Norm. I hope he is resting in peace but he was an *******. I actually banned him from showing up on my link. I don't know if you can do that anymore. However he was not the guru that Joe is. Allan I think it is good you provide the checks and balances. I have seen instances where he is wrong and then never responds. He does bring value to this website nobody else could. Since I don't have a Cutlass anymore it is of little help to me.
Old January 16th, 2019, 09:42 AM

I remember Norm. He was straight to the point, with no wiggle room, and I think that chaffed a lot of people. Joe can be a little off putting ( if that's even a phrase), I do respect his knowledge, but as Allan pointed out his people skills/tact could use some work. He will defend you if you have the correct info, and are challenged by others. I was planning on heading back up to the Amish furniture place this A.M., but I did not sleep worth a damn, and said the heck with it. Probably will head up there again on Saturday.
Old January 16th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

An interesting day at work. Me and the other guy swapped machines and I got to learn some new things. We finished up with every wheel in the house by 11, and the NDT guys went home. I was all set to head out myself, but my work-with made such a big deal about leaving early yesterday(and called me at my house to tell me) and insisted that we should stay today. Well, that good deed was punished by three hours of boredom. Not gonna happen tomorrow.

It's sunny out but a little chilly. Got a couple errands to run this afternoon, maybe I'll take Tiger and we'll take in the Awful house for a mid week treat. Also I didn't take my pork chops out in time and they are still pretty frozen.

I didn't know Norm but I agree Joe P can be a bit of a pickle to deal with. He's pretty condescending. I will say if I ever post and need people to respond, I'm signing it Joe P because people fall all over themselves just to post in the same thread as him. Oh to be so popular.

Glenn I hope your wife's surgery went well today. What is robotic surgery?

There are those cushy mats at work in front of the machines. They help but standing all day is the real problem. There's no way to sit while doing the job and there's no break in the action to sit for a minute. I guess that's why those guys get the big bucks.

Jamesbo just dig your crawl space deeper so you can stand up.

Okay gonna get to the afternoon activities. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old January 16th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, who could forget Norm? On this site he was 88 coupe I wonder why he's not in the deceased hall of fame on this site. He should be because no matter if you loved or hated him, he usually had good accurate information, and like Dan said he would call a spade an effin shovel if he needed to. I didn't enjoy getting into debates with him. On the other hand getting into debates with Joe P is interesting especially when I win about 50 % of them.

Today's curling game was a roaring success! Final score was 9-1 for us and the other team gave up after the 6th end. Interesting they stole the first end with 1 point, then after that it was us all the way. We got 2 in the second and then stole 1, 1, 2, 1 and 2. Their skip Brian turned to me after I'd made a wonderful draw behind cover (top 8') buried, and asked how I did that. I said, Easy - I just do what Jerome asked me to. Draw weight today was split 4.1, or hog to hog 14.5 seconds. Ice was keen and very little curl on either in or out turns.

It's snowing lightly right now and temps are spoda tank later on so I've got the Sonata plugged in again. The missus had thought about going shopping but now that's a non issue.

Glenn - I hope all is well with your missus.

Dan - I get how you feel with no sleep. I had that happen 2x last week. Felt like I had a piano roped to each leg and no energy to drag em anywhere.

I wonder how Clint and John are doing; also wonder if they read anything here anymore or will re-join the fray. I miss hearing from them.

Mike - what are you predicting for dinner tonight? Chick-fil-A or do you ever go to KFC?

Search this Thread