The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2017, 05:31 AM

So I’m all set for the London New Year’s Day parade tomorrow. My costume fits ok albeit a bit hot and sweaty.
There is a global TV audience of 300 million people watching and over half a million people turn up on the streets. I’ve managed to blag a pair of VIP tickets so I may get to meet a few famous people or even some royalty.
If you do get to see it (they are showing it live in the US) I’m on float 17 looking like a complete **** dressed as a lion, the wife will be the ringmaster

Dinner party last night was a success, although the wife made enough food for double the amount of people. Guess I’m on left overs today.

I’d like to share Jouni’s sentiments and wish everyone an even better 2018.

Last edited by LondonCutlass; December 31st, 2017 at 05:34 AM.
Old December 31st, 2017, 06:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone.

Last day of dreary 2017, looking forward to any treats 2018 will bring.

Mike, my apologies. Interesting story about honest Abe. You're right that here in Canada we don't study American history but I do find the geopolitical world a fascinating hodge podge of events. I like the boundaries that parties set back in the day compared to modern issues. Today everything seems to be about drama instead of solving problems, no matter which country anyone lives in.

London, at least you'll stay warm. We're on a warming trend here for New Years also. Enjoy the parade and party.

Jouni, yes it was as much fun as a bad hemorrhoid. I still don't know what caused the problem. 36% of income in taxes is about 6% more than what I used to pay. Invest wisely and you should be able to reduce the net amount you can keep over the years. Start your savings when young and they'll grow fast for when you need them. It's always nice to know what's a need and what's a want.

Dan, my how times have changed. Now you just get less severe cold but tons of lake effect snow. That video was interesting to say the least. Everyone had their wheels locked instead of releasing brakes and steering. I bet none of them had winter tires either. I'm sure that scene gets played out more often than insurance companies would like.

Where are all the new guys hiding?

I made turkey soup yesterday from the carcass. Today is Anutter cold one so zoop will be on the menu at lunch and zupper. Gotta use up the leftovers so I don't end up throwing out good food.

Have a wonderful last day of the year everyone.
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:18 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slow to get going this morning. Tiger wanted to get up around 6, then we went back to bed for a couple hours, then I got up and decided against it and went back to bed for a couple more hours. Felt good but the day is fast getting away.

Think I'll just do some house cleaning today. Gotta get my laundry done since I can't do it tomorrow. I'm not superstitious but there's some things you don't do. I don't walk under ladders, either. No plans for tonight, but I'll be inside at midnight for sure. The neighborhood erupts into gunshots, which actually will start mid afternoon.

Thought I'd forego the Awful house today but Tiger is not having it. So we'll head out and get right back. Overcast and cold today.

Happy New Year everyone.
Old December 31st, 2017, 09:26 AM

Nothing planned for here tonight, I got tired of handovers years ago. I'll watch a couple more bowl games, maybe a movie. London, is that on the BBC? Everyone have a safe New Year.
Old December 31st, 2017, 10:45 AM

Afternoon

Well, I'm back.

Some time it seems all I do is look after $hit. Animals, homes and cars

Fridge in the mountains went Tango Uniform A-gain. The new compressor lasted exactly 52 days

The super model's son's wife is fix'in to download a baby as we speak [type] So she let me know her car won't start at the hospital [Wonder if she put gas in it]

When I got home I found out I had run out of propane [2nd time in 35 years]

I think I need to make up a big batch of collard greens blacked eyed peas and cornbread with sum ham. Looks like I'm gonna be cooking on the gas grill and lighting up the ole wood stove

Happy new year Olds friends
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:01 AM

Evening. Off from sauna. Rockets flying everywhere.
Its ~9pm here currently, not long for new year.

Jamesbo - Sounds like you got punished for being bad boy this year ( joking)
Lot of bad luck at same time.. Anyone ever wondered that usually when something turns bad, it creates an wave of destruction?

1969w3155 - Im tired of hangovers too. Not going to get one. Wouldnt get even without wife being on her last

Allan R - Turkey soup sounds delicious! Since chicken soup is one of my favourite dinners, especially when made in cream, and turkey sounds even more delicious! Investing wisely? Yes! To my Cutlass Should bring 1/4 of money invested back if i ever sell it Not much saved currently due to weddings, coming child and house renovation, but thats not a problem, as long as people keep moving at paved roads on one way or another, i dont have any probs. Road pavers are dying breed there, since it actually requires you to do something... ( dont take it literally, i quess you all realise what i mean)

LondonCutlass - Interesting to hear that you guys on GB have new years parade tomorrow. We held our parades etc today.

Was a great year. Anyone ever wondered us? That from how different situation and jobs we all have, albeit sharing same love for old cars/ Oldsmobiles. One grave-keeper, aviation mechanic, child caring institution leader etc etc. Great diversity of people here, and way to look things.
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:02 PM

By the way Allan, I was at my buddies yesterday, the one who had the 2012 Malibu w/ps issues, he claims the due to a class action lawsuit started in California, GM will repair at no cost. This was discussed over a cup of homemade French onion soup and a grilled cheese sandwich..with tomato. Damn eye-talian can cook, his wife is lucky there! We spent 5 hours talking cars, politics, family and cooking.
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:54 PM

Dan, it’s not on the BBC. For us it’s on two stations I don’t think you’d get. For the US it’s on RDF from 7.00am EST or it’s online at www.inydp.com

Jim, sounds like you need a holiday to re-boot.

No New Year’s Eve celebrations for me, only an early night. Gotta be up at 6am tomorrow as I’m also driving into the city before the road closures. Might manage to get a couple of hours sleep in the car before I have to put on my lion suit.

Jouni, I think you’re the first one to get new year as we don’t have any Aussies contributing here.
Old December 31st, 2017, 02:20 PM

Happy new year! 0.20am 01.01.2018 here!
Old January 1st, 2018, 03:15 AM

Feels just like last year
Old January 1st, 2018, 05:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Stayed up and rang in the New Year with Tiger then hit the sack. I could hear the fireworks and guns for at least two hours afterwards. When I get home I'll take a look around and see if there's any bullet holes in anything.

Jamesbo you're a good egg. What would these people do without you? Speaking of wood stoves.

I think I need to rethink my stove usage. Had the place up to 84* last night. Toasty. Happened to be next to the stove and put my hand on the wall behind it. It was too hot to touch. Now, the stove sits a few inches forward of code, but that sort of freaked me out. Do I move the stove to somewhere else, do I just not put very much wood in it when I light it? Who knows. I have some engineered stone I want to put up behind it but that's down the road a bit. Hm.

London hope the parade went well.

Okay gonna start the year out right by going to the Awful house. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old January 1st, 2018, 07:41 AM

Just sitting on the coach after the parade, had a brilliant day. Even interviewed live on sky TV
I'll stick a few pics up later.
Old January 1st, 2018, 10:42 AM

Mike, sounds like you need a thermal barrier between the stove and the wall, fire brick perhaps? Do you have a place nearby that sells the wood stoves? They might have some ideas for you.
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:04 PM

Wow, what a day. I’m surprised the US was open today there were so many of your lot in London. Marching bands and cheerleaders galore from every part of the States including Atlanta and Michigan.
I must admit I especially liked the 140 strong Californian cheerleaders!!
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:53 PM
Always room for one more

London you look like a giant Hubert doll!

How much fun would that be!
Old January 1st, 2018, 05:23 PM

London, pretty cool, would have been nice to see it.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 05:09 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

London, looks like a grand time. Now you know why there is a song called "California Girls" don't you? Might be a really screwed up state, but they sure know how to grow 'em.

Jamesbo, Sounds like a good dinner to start off the year, but what are ya gonna wash it down with?

Mike, I would think you should be fine if you use a cementboard product as a backer than put up your "Cultured Stone"

Allan, Hope you are doing ok up there.

Have a day all.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 07:39 AM

mawn'in

In the teens but clear

No gas truck yet Glad I got plenty of wood and a wood stove.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo you're a good egg.
Thanks Mike, Just sometimes a little scrambled

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 2nd, 2018, 12:44 PM

Sorry guys, I tried to put up the video of the Californian cheerleaders but it wouldn’t upload!
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

First day back. Colder than a witch's brazier filler. I have a thermometer on the back porch. Found out it's been mocking me by reading about 10* too high. It gets a new home on Friday.

Clint the stone is fire rated, but there's probably going to be some backer board going up as well. I didn't run the stove last night, just looked at it. I must say, the paint that's on the wall, although ugly, is hearty.

Everything checks out so far from the other night's festivities. There will probably be some more noise makers this weekend.

Okay off to it. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:43 AM

Good day.

Rainy outside. Just being inside. My Cutlass is going one step further, getting alum. heads from Mondello, the right one. Not Lynn's Company. Pretty excited actually. Tho some of my items got backordered again..

LondonCutlass - Did you actually see anything else on whole parade than those cheerleaders?

Hmm.. Turkey for dinner today. Gonna watch TV and just lazy around. Have a day.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning and belated happy new year to everyone.

We finally got a break in the weather, still cold but not mind numbing anymore. The countdown is on (hopefully) to Mexico.

Gotta do a provisions run today as we're getting low on some things.

Looks like,it's been pretty quiet here past few days. Jouni's right, doesn't feel much different than last year.

Happy humpday
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:05 AM

Evening.

Wife loved the turkey. First time we did it. Somebody could post some delicious recipe here.

Ordered a book, Adrian Newey- How to build a car. Should be really interesting. And something for me to read while at home.

Allan R - How long it was when your gonna go Mexico? Ive forgot..
Theres not cold, still around zero, and wet.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 01:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, we're spoda be leaving on Jan 29. Fingers crossed it will still happen. Really? First time you ever did turkey? That's amazing. Turkey is the food of choice for Thanksgiving and Christmas in North America. The other favorite is ham. I still have some turkey leftovers but the pile is thankfully dwindling and should be gone by tomorrow. Turkey sammiches with mayo, mustard, salt&peppa, and some lettuce. Much better than Granny's possum innards and greens. Of course, her stuff is just as good for leftovers too...
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another cold one. I'm guessing this cold weather is here for awhile. Hope Jamesbo has plenty of wood.

Had seven planes last night, most of them didn't have any parts, but a couple were real ball busters. Got out almost at 6. Now, my shift is 8-6, but we don't take a break and the deal is we get out an hour early. I suppose it all works out, but it still sucks when I'm there that late.

Not a big fan of turkey. It's not bad the first go-round, but it isn't something I'd partake in of leftovers. My Mom doesn't like turkey, either, and one year she was at my house for Thanksgiving and we grilled steaks. My sister often makes spaghetti for Thanksgiving.

Not a big news day here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Slept real good today, and it got up to about 40. Of course that was on the lyin' back porch thermometer so who knows. Tiger's water bucket froze solid and its funny to see him try to get a drink. He just licks the top of the ice with this perplexed look on his face.

And time again. Only two more. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:47 PM

Good Morning.

Sauna day!!! Something to wait for ( every-second day )!

Grey and rainy again. Summit surprised me yesterday evening when i was already sleeping, and sent a shipping notice. So after all, i might soon get my parts for bottom-end? Cutlass on the road again 2018? Ordered heli-coil kit to repair oil-pan threads from TH350. Wife did mention yesterday that it ( TH350) should leave our dining room

Allan R - Yup, first time ever. I remember eating turkey last time way over 10 years back. Im more red-meat guy. So over 3 weeks still to wait for Mexico.
Old January 4th, 2018, 05:00 AM

mawn'in

hallelujah, Put your hand on the radio
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...c&action=click

Gas truck came and heat back on

You's guys gotta put Durkee's on a left over Turkey sandwich. wonderful

Have a great warm day Olds friends
Old January 4th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Beautiful mornin here and a pleasant -3. Bit of frost everywhere but that's not hard to take.

Jim, real mayo wit mustard and a sprinkle of salt n peppa and lettuce werks fer me. I don't think they sell durkee here. Is it like the mc Dee spread they now sell on the shelf?

Jouni, yup that's the plan. I used to be a red meat guy a lot but I've adapted to diabetic needs. White meats like chicken, turkey, poke (the other white meat) and fish. Everything in moderation. That doesn't mean we don't have beef, we live in a beef producing province. I couldn't be like London who is strictly vegetarian, but I do eat a good variety of veggies and fruits. You have your TH350 in the dining room? That's ballsy.

Gotta see about brekkie. Maybe today will be something interesting. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 4th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Still cold. I wonder which I like least, cold or rain. Either way they both seem to last a lot longer than they need to.

Jamesbo didn't we go through this not too long ago? Maybe I'll check out Publix. I usually don't shop there, I'd go broke.

Did a little better at work last night. Also stopped on the way home to put gas in the car. That's one thing I hate doing on the way to work. Never seem to be able to leave early enough and then I'm running late after stopping.

It is the penultimate night, best get to it. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:22 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Gonna try to get some trim up before the new roof. Gonna be 50+ all weekend so gonna make hay...

Have a weekend. stay warm.
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

A bit colder here now but still nowhere near the numbing cold of last 2 weeks.

Not much new. My idiot neighbor had the surveyors in yesterday to do a real property report. They couldn't find the pin on his property so they started digging in my yard to find mine. That stopped real fast when I went outside, and I told em to put everything back to normal. You'd think they would at least ring the doorbell and let me know what they were up to. Nope, I just happened to look outside and see what they were up to. I'm really glad that the house is going to be listed for sale, he's been an irritating neighbor who doesn't maintain anything and devalues property around him.

Clint, good luck with the trim and siding. I can't remember what 50 feels like. You off work today?
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:02 AM

mawn'in

still colder than $hit here

But, Had an early morning sale. so business is good

Mike, I'm sure we did but I can't remember [nor can I remember what I had for breakfast]

Allan/ Inline, I REALLY don't see how you can stand the cold

Old January 5th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Jamesbo, beer & sauna, beer & sauna....
Old January 5th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cold is

Relative to where you live. You would not like it here. When it's REALLY cold, no one likes it. Clint's 50° temps would be an unheard of heat wave up here and would likely cause damage with the related thaw/freeze cycle.
Old January 5th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Crazy night at work. Everything I had either didn't work, wasn't the right part, couldn't get support. I ran around like a mad man all night long and got out after 5. I was busy all night but didn't get a lot accomplished. Hope tonight is a little more relaxed.

Who was telling me, with this big storm on the east coast, there were places that were going to get down to -50! I said, we get that regularly up home. It seems to me the coldest part of the year for us was January. Not ready to go back up there any time soon.

Allan is this the house next door that's the rental? Maybe you should put up a sign saying what you will and won't tolerate, like Clint did that one time.

Clint we'll be lucky to get out of the 30s. I need to get something done outside. I've been gone a lot the past month, so nothing has gotten done. Of course when something does get done you can't notice it, but that's beside the point.

Did I mention work? It's Friday. It ain't gonna take care of itself so I'm off. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old January 6th, 2018, 03:55 AM

Good day everyone.

Damn, im excited. More about it in two-three weeks I might have to change my engine-build, which is not bad, since to swap for big-block, i have only pistons and rods to sell and buy new-ones. Everything else would fit. Need to put it on halt for a while.

Okay, whats up everyone? Its saturday, sauna-day! Grey & rainy, gotta love winter..

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Last edited by Inline; January 6th, 2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old January 6th, 2018, 04:54 AM

mawn'in

Still cold

Inline, Never $hit a $hiter, Ya have beer and sauna in the3 dead heat of summer

Well, I got an e-mail from our ole pal John Boy with pics of Christmas at the Biltimore House in Ashville. I wonder if his season pass is worn out. He seems to love the place. I've been a few times but it doesn't crank my tractor.

Mike, Have you made the treck to Biltimore with John? What did you think of it?

Allan, I guess if you're an Eskimo ya get used to it but not me.

Old January 6th, 2018, 04:57 AM

Jamesbo- yes, beer and sauna through the year! Our dead-heat summer is temps looming between 59-68F, with temps passing 68F at whole summer countable with one-hand fingers, and if were really lucky, i might have to loan few fingers from the other hand too to do the math

Good to hear about John too.
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Spoda be a nice day here, and also today is Costco day. I love their French fries and that's about the only time I eat them. Wish they had mayo at the condiment dispenser.

Mike, no the rental house is east side of us. The idiot neighbor is west. He does almost zero maintenance. Last year he cut his grass exactly 2 times during the whole season. Likes to party and make noise. He also goes through wimmen faster than Jouni does sauna and beer. I won't miss him at all. Hopefully a nice family will move in. I'm waiting for the For Sale sign to go up.

Jim, good to hear John is doing well. FYI, I don't think even Eskimos really get used to the cold. Stay inside and stay warm if you can.

Jouni, we're not that cold here in the summer. Median temp is about 73 but we also get our share of days in the 80's and 90's. That's why I had central AC installed 3 years ago. Well you certainly sound excited this morning. Must have received a keg of beer and case of sausage for the sauna

Well I've narrowed down the hard start on the Saturn (warm start, not cold) to a faulty fuel pressure regulator. The easy check was to pull the vacuum line. Dripping fuel = faulty diaphragm so easy fix is replace the whole fpr. Not a hard job but a bit awkward due to placement. Lucky it has a spring clip retainer instead of screws.

Have a good day everyone,
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:38 AM

Afternoon all

Not much happening today apart from football (with a round ball)
Keep hearing on the news about your weather on the east coast, I can’t even imagine those kind of temps. Mid 40s here and the wife is still complaining about being cold.

Suppose I’d better venture out later to repair my fence panel which was blown down by the wind last week.

Have a good weekend yawl