The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2024, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I looked at that 4-4-2 thread/post right after it was posted. I'm not certain it's a $25K vehicle.
Old April 26th, 2024, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have so many stories RE: cars, hoods, etc. - how about roofs(?) - I could easily turn this thread into a soft **** site.
How bout a Dump truck?
Old April 26th, 2024, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

While I see you're attempting to extend the boundaries of the initial discussion, I have no experiences w/ dump trucks.
Old April 26th, 2024, 04:36 PM

While I see you're attempting to extend the boundaries of the initial discussion, I have no experiences w/ dump trucks.
Not really trying to extend the boundaries, just inserting a little more levity regarding unusual locales.
Old April 27th, 2024, 06:53 AM

Mike - I looked at that 4-4-2 thread/post right after it was posted. I'm not certain it's a $25K vehicle.
FWIW - I looked up estimated values (analysis of recent sales) using Hagerty's Valuation Tool. There are four possible grades of quality: Concours (1), Excellent (2), Good (3), and Fair (4). JMO, but I'd say from the pics I've seen, the car in question is probably a - 3 or +4. I would say you need to bump the estimated value of the car in question up a little because it's a 4-speed. Hagerty values a #3 car at $35K, and a #4 car at $23.3K. Based on Hagerty's analysis, the car may be priced fairly, and right about where it should be. Just my 2-cents.
Old April 27th, 2024, 07:25 AM
Running On Empty

I'd say it might be a player @ $20K. Terrible pictures to display/demonstrate a for sale vehicle which leads me to suspect this car has more issues which are hidden by not displaying images of the engine bay, the sills (cowl), the trunk, the undercarriage, the convertible top. While the seller has (supposedly) made some statements pertaining to what's been done & what it needs, I think I'm still at the $20K value unless a good visual inspection proves otherwise. It needs body work and a paint job which would then garner between $25K - $27.5K. I'm not feeling it at $25K.
Old April 27th, 2024, 08:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I felt like I slept in this morning, even though I got up at 8. Tiger wanted to go out before 6 and I went back to bed and woke up and decided to get up and go talk with the guys over at my airport.

So I talked with Dr. Dan for quite awhile last night. He seemed like a nice enough guy. Told me a lot about the 442 and other cars he has or had. I'm going up there in a little bit to see the car. I saw the same valuation as Chris, so we'll see what it looks like in person and how it drives. I already told him this will be a fact-finding mission, and I won't be buying today. I'm going to take money to buy it, and wanted to see if it's actually what I want. I'll gather the information the credit union wants while I'm there and get back with him next week. Wish me luck.

I wish I had a dump truck. I'd use the hell out of that guy. And if it was good for "extra curricular" activities, so much the better. When I was a kid I worked at a Chevy dealer, and one of the salesman drove a 71 Corvette, and his license plate frame said, Do It In A Vette, If You Can.

Okay better get moving, lots to fit in today besides driving an hour each way to see this car. Hope everyone is doing well today.

Old April 27th, 2024, 08:35 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Wish me luck.
Make it so Number One.
Old April 27th, 2024, 08:38 AM
Running On Empty

Besides tortuous cleaning of a gazillion windows I've been slithering about on the floor w/ vacuum cleaner & rags cleaning. I can't handle cobwebs, dust, pollen, dirt, grit & grime - totally OCD when it comes to spring cleaning.
Old April 27th, 2024, 08:56 AM

Mike, good luck with the 442 recon. Got to get new insulation for the a/c lines from the compressor to the house. the ones on it are ratty looking and falling apart. I tried to call the HVAC place that installed the new compressor in 2018 for a recommendation on the correct ones to use, but they're out of business! I'll have to see what Home Depot has.
Old April 27th, 2024, 10:26 AM

Mike - Good luck checking out the '67!

Norm - Good luck with the cleaning, never a fun task.

Dan - Good luck finding the right insulation..

Everyone please say a prayer for my Wife and daughter. They're off at their 15-kilometer Tough Mudder obstacle course event. I sure don't want to get a call letting me know someone's broken a leg, or worse! Those two are both nuts, you'd have to kill em for them not to finish.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to a car cruise-in this evening or Gabe's hockey game. The rain chance is supposed to start ramping up when the cruise-in starts, and there's another cruise-in tomorrow afternoon I could go to if the weather will cooperate. I'm leaning towards the hockey game.

I hope ya'll have a great weekend!
Old April 27th, 2024, 12:11 PM

9.3 miles, 25 obstacles, completed in 5-hours. Those gals are definitely Tough Mudders! Very proud of them both!
Old April 27th, 2024, 03:08 PM

Old April 27th, 2024, 03:10 PM
Running On Empty

Jim, I'm starving...that looks delicious.
Old April 27th, 2024, 03:14 PM

Jim, I'm starving...that looks delicious.
x2 👍
Old April 27th, 2024, 05:19 PM
Always room for one more

Saw the 442 this afternoon. No doubt about it, it's a special car. Dan is a great guy and really knows his stuff. I think we talked more about other things than we did the car.

So first off, it wasn't as nice as I had hoped it would be. The paint was a little thin in some places, some of the trim was a little dented, but all in all a solid car. And the build date was 06D. If it would have been the week before it would have been a slam dunk.

The interior was nice, not terrific. The floor is mostly good, the drivers front needs a little attention. There's some weird white stuff caked on the back seat. I didn't get close enough to see what it was. Lots of staining on the light blue vinyl. Might come off with some citrus cleaner.

I'm on the precipice. I don't think it's worth 25 but he said that's the number. If I really wanted it I'd pay it, because, go find another one. On the hour's drive home I went back and forth, I do want it, I don't want it. It's got a couple issues that I wouldn't be able to tackle, but I know someone who could and wouldn't cost me too much. This would be a long term car and I'd do work to it as I went along. It would be beautiful when done.

So this is where I'm at. I'd drive the heck out of this guy. My biggest thing is I'm not sure it's worth 25 to me. I think once I got it home I would think it is. This is why I like taking someone with me, someone I can talk things over with.
Old April 27th, 2024, 06:19 PM

If I really wanted it I'd pay it, because, go find another one.
Mike - I'm absolutely not trying to get you to buy this car. However, your sentence above says it all, go find another one. Ya just don't see any '67 4-4-2 4-speed Verts! Hell, in 2-years of looking, I couldn't even find a 4-speed hardtop I could afford, let alone a Vert. Only you know what it's worth to you and what you might want to put into it. Good luck making your decision!​​​​​
Old April 27th, 2024, 06:28 PM

There's some weird white stuff caked on the back seat. I didn't get close enough to see what it was.
After the previous discussions about back seat activities, probably a good idea to keep your distance.
Old April 27th, 2024, 07:45 PM
Always room for one more

Bahaha Kenneth! It looked like some powdery stuff that had gotten wet and glued itself to the backrest.

See Chris, thats why you needed to go with me. I think you are trying to talk me into it. Just twist my arm a little more...

Drove up there today in the Fiat with the top down. It got to be a bit much, as Georgia isnt the best pouring smooth roads. But after getting out of the car I wasnt in bad shape. It did get a little cool and breezy when the sun was covered over, so I turned on the heat.
Old April 27th, 2024, 08:28 PM

The wife’s roadster has seat heaters. I never would have thought they’d be useful in Phoenix but she uses them a lot. Top down all the time. Seat heaters in the winter and AC in the summer.
Old April 28th, 2024, 06:58 AM

See Chris, thats why you needed to go with me. I think you are trying to talk me into it. Just twist my arm a little more...
Would have loved to have gone with you, first just to meet ya, and 2nd to actually see and talk about the car. No arm twisting, you're on your own now pardner.
Old April 28th, 2024, 09:27 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just beautiful today. Would have been a better drive up there but I'll be outside today anyway.

I've decided against that car. The bottom line is it doesn't have air conditioning. Call me soft, but I need AC in the ridiculous summers we get here. I like hot, but last year was unbearable. If this summer is anything like that, the car would just sit, and that's not what I want it for. My plan would be to install Vintage Air, but that would be quite awhile.

Laundry and mowing are in store for the afternoon. Got my pickup running yesterday so maybe I'll have time to work on the blue van and get it fixed. Once I get the hood open I can change the serpentine belt. But I have to do something about the cable. Hm.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old April 28th, 2024, 10:21 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - It's absolutely gorgeous here, as well. Hate to see you struggling to get the hood open to R&R the cable. You can't wedge a big **** screwdriver, pipe, crow-bar onto the latch itself, eh? Perhaps a small well-contained explosive charge like a dynamite cap?
Old April 28th, 2024, 10:23 AM

Mike I'm not surprised that happened.
Old April 28th, 2024, 10:36 AM

Chris, looks like the gals had a good time at the Tough Mudders. Mike, I understand you when looking at cars, been a couple lately that I wondered if I should have pulled the trigger. My buddy let it be known that he's available if I find anymore to check out. Ya always need a freind to talk you into it. As we are both Olds guys, we can also get quick thoughts on any issues that we might spot. Jim, that looked pretty scrumptious. Made chocolate chip waffles this a.m. that'll hold me for a spell. Looks like i will have to purchase the insulated hose coverings online, as I saw nothing at he box stores.
Old April 28th, 2024, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, looks like the gals had a good time at the Tough Mudders. . . .
Made chocolate chip waffles this a.m. that'll hold me for a spell. Looks like i will have to purchase the insulated hose coverings online, as I saw nothing at he box stores.
Dan - Yes, they had a great time, despite the brutality of the course. Those two have a great relationship which I'm very happy about. Dawn was just tired last night, but she's pretty sore this morning.

The chocolate chip waffles sound great! Shame you couldn't find the correct insulation at the box stores, shouldn't be hard to find on Amazon, good luck.
Old April 28th, 2024, 03:44 PM
Always room for one more

Dan that reminds me of when I flew up to see a 59 Ford. A friend of mine said he wanted to go with, and he was a car guy so I figured he'd be a good one to look it over and bounce ideas off. So we flew to Chicago, took a limo to I don't remember where(west of the city) and looked at this car. My friend was of no help, and after I bought the car, told him he was supposed to talk me out of it. I dropped him at O'Hare and he flew to Cincinnati, and after spending the night at my sister's, I drove home. It was actually a nice drive. It was September and nice weather, so I had the top down the whole way. But so much for an informed opinion. I kept that car several years and sold it on ebay.

Chris your wife needs a hot tub to soak in after a Tough Mudder competition. I went to help a friend of mine once do some work on his house. We went into his bathroom and there was this hot tub that took up about half the room. I said, how many people can you fit in that thing? He gave me a stern look, and flatly said, two.

Norm if I used dynamite, it would get the hood open and take the serpentine belt off at the same time. Hm, I'd be ahead of the game.

Been a beautiful day here. Got some mowing done, some house cleaning done, some laundry done. I think the yellow pollen is done so I can start washing cars. Sheesh that will take me all summer.

Old April 28th, 2024, 03:56 PM

Couple more Tough Mudder pics if you're interested.

Weekend car events were a bust. Opted out of last night's cruise-in to go to Gabe's game, with no regrets. A line of storms went thru this afternoon right before the cruise-in was supposed to start at noon and it was canceled. Still, a more active April than any other season, had the car out to 6 events versus 3 last.year. Hoping to get out to my first judged show of the year next Saturday if the weather cooperates.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend!
Old April 28th, 2024, 04:10 PM

Chris your wife needs a hot tub to soak in after a Tough Mudder competition. I went to help a friend of mine once do some work on his house. We went into his bathroom and there was this hot tub that took up about half the room. I said, how many people can you fit in that thing? He gave me a stern look, and flatly said, two.
Mike - We have an oversize Jacuzzi brand bathtub with jets in our Master bath. We both love it!
Old April 29th, 2024, 07:41 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

For whatever reason I thought it would be a good idea to come in early this morning. I wouldn't say I regret it but I haven't been thrilled. I signed two wheels before 6. Not very many people came in, hope the company got its money's worth.

Chris those are crazy pictures. I'm sure I wouldn't get a fraction of the distance. Are there a lot of people who drop out before the end of the course?

Almost lunch. Gonna be nice this afternoon, I need to come up with something to do. I might come in early all week. I know we're working Saturday, that's always a good time.

Okay Happy Monday everyone.

Old April 29th, 2024, 10:58 AM

Good morning everyone.

Chris those are crazy pictures. I'm sure I wouldn't get a fraction of the distance. Are there a lot of people who drop out before the end of the course?
Mike - I'm sure there are a fair amount who drop out before the end of the course, but I don't know how many? There are also those who have to drop out due to injury. In the first pic of the 4 posted above, those white strips hanging down in the foreground are electrodes that shock you if you come into contact with them. Practically no way to avoid all of them. My wife and daughter both got shocked a couple of times getting through. Of course everyone has to sign a liability waiver, but before they release each group onto the course they warn the participants not to even attempt that obstacle if you have any type of heart condition or electronic implant. Crazy $hit!
Old April 29th, 2024, 11:04 AM

Can't play but if I putt every day and have lunch, I should improve
Old April 29th, 2024, 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

MRI result said you can putt? That's a nice boiger.
Old April 29th, 2024, 12:55 PM
Running On Empty

I call it a British Street Vendor Spud:
x2 Yellow Spuds
x3 Large Garlic Bulbs
x3 Tblspns Butter
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Southern Peas

Old April 29th, 2024, 01:56 PM

Chris, I need to try this

Emory mess. The recent protest on the Emory quad brought back memories of when I when at the B school after the " unpleasantness " at Kent state. There was a student strike and the news crew came to the B school and axed someone why it was opened during the student strike. Someone said Because we're here to get an education ". What a novel thought/ reason for going to college. I just made a simple note to self. " don't throw rocks at people with guns "
Old April 29th, 2024, 02:54 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo that's an excellent looking burger. Did the MRI people say exactly what was wrong? As if not playing golf isn't wrong enough.

Hell No Chris! Electrodes hanging down to zap you when you're in water? Now -that's- crazy stuff. I'll stick to losing at arm wrestling.

Beautiful evening out. Came over and painted a little bit. Tomorrow is supposed to rain so more painting. Drove the truck to Mom's and I drove like a rookie. Way different than the micro-Fiat. But I couldn't fit the trash into the Fiat.

Old April 29th, 2024, 03:33 PM

Tough Mudders seem to be really popular with the modern reimaging of women. Can't say I agree with it.
Old April 29th, 2024, 04:53 PM

I call it a British Street Vendor Spud:
x2 Yellow Spuds
x3 Large Garlic Bulbs
x3 Tblspns Butter
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Southern Peas
Norm - That looks good, I'll have to try that combo sometime. We love different types of loaded taters!

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Jim - I'm assuming you're referring to the Tough Mudder in general, or maybe specifically the electric shock obstacle. In either case, I know you won't, cause I know you're smarter than that!

Originally Posted by Koda
Tough Mudders seem to be really popular with the modern reimaging of women. Can't say I agree with it.
John - Can you clarify what you mean about "the modern reimaging of women", I'm not sure what you are getting at?
Old April 29th, 2024, 05:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - That looks good, I'll have to try that combo sometime. We love different types of loaded taters!
Jim - I'm assuming you're referring to the Tough Mudder in general, or maybe specifically the electric shock obstacle. In either case, I know you won't, cause I know you're smarter than that!
I'm thinking maybe Jim was referring to my British Street Vendor Spud. He sure as hell is going to crawl around in the mud.
Old April 29th, 2024, 05:05 PM

Hope ya'll had a great day!

We had a ton of rain overnight. Lots of crap washed up on the back roads out of our subdivision from the side drainage overflowing..

I'm pooped! Lifting workout and then mowing the yard/weedeating. There was a day when that would have been no big deal, these days it wears me out. Sucks getting older, what used to be easy is now tough.

Hope everyone has a great evening.