The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Is this dumbass government party over already?

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Registered Luser

I'm sure the "administration" will spin this very positively.....I was in a Ford dealer yesterday(I visit many dealers for work) and they told me that it wasn't going well for them as they didn't have the capital to do much with the program! To you Canadian guys up there(wolfman etc.) did this program happen in your country? Was it US only? I noticed some Canadians on the thread here and was wondering?!
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Breen0819.jpg (48.8 KB, 19 views)
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM
Captain of my ship

Canada Clunkers?

! To you Canadian guys up there(wolfman etc.) did this program happen in your country? Was it US only? I noticed some Canadians on the thread here and was wondering?![/quote]
No program up here as the government decided there were no clunkers in canada As a matter of fact our Prime Minister sent a letter to Obama trying to convince him not to crush those clunkers cause we always get your leftovers and there would be a serious shortage of "new" cars for Canadians
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Funny, I just got into an argument with one of my friends about this yesterday. Granted we argue a lot over American cars anyhow...she hates them so we throw insults back and forth at each other's cars...haha. But she really pushed my buttons when she told me that my Oldsmobile's were gas guzzling pieces of junk and should be destroyed. Needless to say I won't be talking to her for quite a while.

I personally think they should have a program that helps people get their old cars FIXED and running properly. Both of my cars failed emissions the first time around. Luckily it only cost me about $100 a piece to get them passed, but I've seen tons of old cars that are in dire need of repair. Car repairs are expensive if you can't do it yourself, lots of people leave their cars broken because they can't afford to get them repaired. I'd certainly take advantage of it being unemployed
Excuse me, Oldsmobiles being "Gas Guzzlers" ?!
A 307 powered 3rd generation Toronado or Riveria will pull 24 mpg.
A 1995-1999 Aurora without the Autoban packege will do over 30 mpg on the highway.
Great point , if Obama really "cares" there should of been a program to fix your old car up, not destoy it.

Last edited by toro68; August 22nd, 2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:16 AM

By there way I have seen a NICE sivler 1998 Aurora (Autoban option and sunroof, only 117,000 miles) meeting the C4C fate.
Not to mention many truck, Cadilliacs, F-150s, Explorers,ect that are going to get wasted.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by WhatIf
These cars could have been GIVEN to people that dont have cars. I have a teenage son (15) that watches all these videos on youtube and he cant believe what he sees. He would like some of these cars. I was watching tv the other night and my son Eric yells out ""DAD! They're crushing an AURORA!" I had an 02 Aurora that was a piece of crap. My son can't believe they are crushing decent cars. He said his friends in school think the same thing. They are all trying to save money to buy their first car and they see our government crushing cars they want.

What is Obama doing??? I see his plan is to move cars off lots and get people back to work in the plants but what will happen when they do go back to the plants and begin producing cars who will buy them at full price?? Who's idea was this thing???
Obama and Company are driving the prices of used cars throught the roof. Plus think of all the pollution the crushing mahcines are blowing every where. So much for clean air.
Matter of fact, I plan to drive to the "Saco Auto Mail", check on the fate of a sivler 1998 Aurora (117,000 miles and Autoban option), plus at a Nissan dealer next door has a sivler and purple 1992-1996 Ford F-150 - ( would make an awesome parts truck to rebuild my purple 1995 F-150 4x4 with over 321,000 miles)

Last edited by toro68; August 22nd, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM

The long and short of it- Cash for Cluckers - SUCKS !
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toro68
Obama and Company are driving the prices of used cars throught the roof.
come on,now.

obama didn't create more business through this cash for clunkers program to actually manipulate the market nationwide.

it's a cycle

just a few years ago,used cars couldnt be given away because of all the incentives being offered by the manufacturers on new cars.

remember 0% financing or $5000 rebate,or both??

that was when everybody had an equity line
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
Senior Moment Member

It's called pulling demand forward. We did it for the last 25 or so years. From the stock market to home equity loans to giving you a loan for 125% of the worth of the home you were buying to giving you a loan that put you upside down on your car loan as soon as you signed the papers. They would lend you money if you could fog a mirror. What would have been bought in due time is bought now, forgoing the purchase in the future. How does this affect the economy. Well, it just makes the plants run hard now and idles them in the future. Layoffs come because we all have the cars we need thanks to the government getting us to buy NOW instad of when we and the market are ready. I should have known things were going bad. I live where I can see I-80 from my front door and last year there were truckloads and truckloads of smoke and mirrors on their way east. I guess they ended up in Washington. Thank you politicians. You suck. And yes, I vote. Every chance I get. Havent missed one since I was 18. That would be Ronald Reagan, our last true believer in the America I wish we still lived in.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by toro68
The long and short of it- Cash for Cluckers - SUCKS !
I agree with your statment I am against it and was befor they started it.sema fought it and it was thworted at least once if not twice but those slimy buggers still forced it through.I will keep my junk and will find ways to improve it if I have to.there is the hydrogen kit system that is said to improve mpgs and run cleaner.I also have a friend that runs a diesel chevy truck with three tanks on veg oil.went from NY to fla twice basicly for free.I also hate the fact you need a laptop to run or work on the new stuff baahh.I am disgusted by little sardine can cars.

Last edited by delmontcrusier; August 22nd, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

I am glad the program is over tomorrow. I am tired of seeing my tax $ going to help people buy foreign cars(most of which are not made here). I also saw a tow truck carrying a really nice Thunderbird and F150 the other day both with spray painted clunker written on them. I kid you not, they both looked to be in near mint condition. Really sad that we are destroying these nice cars that still have some useable life left in them.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
It's called pulling demand forward. We did it for the last 25 or so years. From the stock market to home equity loans to giving you a loan for 125% of the worth of the home you were buying to giving you a loan that put you upside down on your car loan as soon as you signed the papers. They would lend you money if you could fog a mirror. What would have been bought in due time is bought now, forgoing the purchase in the future. How does this affect the economy. Well, it just makes the plants run hard now and idles them in the future. Layoffs come because we all have the cars we need thanks to the government getting us to buy NOW instad of when we and the market are ready. I should have known things were going bad. I live where I can see I-80 from my front door and last year there were truckloads and truckloads of smoke and mirrors on their way east. I guess they ended up in Washington. Thank you politicians. You suck. And yes, I vote. Every chance I get. Havent missed one since I was 18. That would be Ronald Reagan, our last true believer in the America I wish we still lived in.
very very well put. everyone that wanted a new car got one with 0 % interest. now people that was thinking about it but did not get one, now have one. so almost everyone that wanted one or thought about one, has one. now how do we sell cars when no one is left that wants one. poorly put but i think you get what i am saying.
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Captain of my ship

And let's not forget who got us here in the first place , the banks and wall street with their insatiable greed. Remember that the millions of home loans with paper trails that can be impossible to find could still come back to bite them in the a** . I know that up here our government has said the recession is over but the people who go out and spend are the ones who decide when it's over. The Prime Minister even came here to announce a highway project 6 months ago and all we have to show for it are some red stakes in the ground.No one knows where the money is?
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Who wants to be that congress extends Cash for Clunkers again?
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by wolfman98
And let's not forget who got us here in the first place , the banks and wall street with their insatiable greed. Remember that the millions of home loans with paper trails that can be impossible to find could still come back to bite them in the a** . I know that up here our government has said the recession is over but the people who go out and spend are the ones who decide when it's over. The Prime Minister even came here to announce a highway project 6 months ago and all we have to show for it are some red stakes in the ground.No one knows where the money is?
Lets also not forget who forced the bank to make the loans in the first place. They did not want to make those type of loans but when you are forced to make the loans by your government they had to go along with it. For a while the house of cards was making everyone money so they kept going. Eventually the bottom card got knocked out getting us where we are today. This all started with Carter and Clinton and GWB jumped in with both feet to. He started to see what was coming and requested regulations on multiple occations but Mr. Barney Frank and his butt buddy from Fannie Mae blocked his efforts.

The bottom line is government created the whole problem in the first place.
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Lets also not forget who forced the bank to make the loans in the first place.
I'm going to disagree here. Let's have a little personal responsibility. If home buyers were too stupid to realize that buying a $500K house with no money down was a BAAAD idea, then they deserve to parted from their money. What part of "negative amortization" did they not understand?

Businesses (that includes banks) are in business to earn a profit by any means that's allowed by law. That's their duty to their owners/shareholders. Consumers need to be responsible for looking out for themselves. Sorry, but that's life.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Keep in mind, just because a car says Ford, Chrysler or GM on it doesn't mean its built here employing OUR OWN! Many of their products are built in Mexico, Canada and Australia to name a few! We Americans (meaning USA here) put ourselves in this mess top to bottom! Starting from corporate managment(and I DO work for a Fortune 500 co., who's stock has plunged so bad we are on furloughs, and am in the Automotive biz) down to the janitors, we all lived above our means and became gluttons! What ever happened to working hard for a living! No, we look for as many paid vacation days as we can get, and when is break time! Our parents and grandparents and great-grandparents who came through Ellis Island, were degraded, and built this country with pride and adopted it as THEIR COUNTRY knew what it was like to struggle, and never complained! But I can't totally blame anyone. Unions saw what management was making(bonuses and such), and wanted their fair share. Then management wanted more and unions and on and on until profit margins slipped, quality slipped and we had to find a way to be profitable again! OVERSEAS!!!! CHEAP LABOR!!!! Hence unemployment!!! We weren't happy with some, we wanted all!!! The ones who built this once proud country are rolling over in their graves! I could go on and on, but don't want to risk offending anyone.....Oh, and by the way...if you trully believe the Japanese cars are so much better quality than ours, think again! And ever have a foriegn car break and have to get it fixed! Not cheap! So if you really want to buy American, check and make sure it's American!!!!
Exactly Joe....remember, when you point the finger you have four pointing back at YOU....re read my post! I did for a minute think of taking advantage of the CARS program, then realized, I DON'T WANT ANOTHER PAYMENT! As stated earlier by someone, I wonder how many more gluttons, I mean Americans, went into more debt on this brilliant scheme!
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm going to disagree here. Let's have a little personal responsibility. If home buyers were too stupid to realize that buying a $500K house with no money down was a BAAAD idea, then they deserve to parted from their money. What part of "negative amortization" did they not understand?

Businesses (that includes banks) are in business to earn a profit by any means that's allowed by law. That's their duty to their owners/shareholders. Consumers need to be responsible for looking out for themselves. Sorry, but that's life.
Joe I agree with you 100% but when banks were telling people no (as they should have) The Community Reinvestment Act forced them to start making loans they did not want to make. It got out of hand and property values kept skyrocketing and anyone that could fog a mirror could get a loan resale the house in 6 months for 100,000 profit. When the bubble burst in home pricing everything came tumbling down. Before this all started a bank would have 5-6% of what was considered and high risk borrower Right before the collaps many banks were 25% or more with this type of loan. AIG and others sold these banks credit defalt swap policies to help protect the risk. The problem was all the banks were doing the same thing and all the packaged loans become worthless when all the defalts kicked in.
Old August 24th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Captain of my ship

Joe I agree with you 100% but when banks were telling people no (as they should have) The Community Reinvestment Act forced them to start making loans they did not want to make. It got out of hand and property values kept skyrocketing and anyone that could fog a mirror could get a loan resale the house in 6 months for 100,000 profit. When the bubble burst in home pricing everything came tumbling down. Before this all started a bank would have 5-6% of what was considered and high risk borrower Right before the collaps many banks were 25% or more with this type of loan. AIG and others sold these banks credit defalt swap policies to help protect the risk. The problem was all the banks were doing the same thing and all the packaged loans become worthless when all the defalts kicked in.
Very true that it was a bad idea to make questionable loans to those who could not afford them and they should not be helped to keep these houses unless their circumstances changed. A lot of people got caught even those making good money but then the market was so high in some areas you just knew it would collapse , but they were still banking on it going up and making money from it.
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wolfman98
A lot of people got caught even those making good money but then the market was so high in some areas you just knew it would collapse , but they were still banking on it going up and making money from it.
I live in Loudoun County, VA. Over the last ten years we were consistently in the top ten fastest growing counties in the US. Around me farms were being mowed down and carpeted with McMansions. All were consistently overpriced and yet people couldn't buy them fast enough. These are 5000 - 8000 sq ft homes on about 3 acres that sold for between $600K and $1M. Every one of these brand new homes had two brand new luxury SUVs in the driveway and a brand new Kubota tractor with a front end loader (after all, you gotta plow the couple of inches of snow we get here ). All this stuff was bought at about the same time, yet these expensive houses frequently had bed sheets as curtains and no landscaping. Of course, not only do these buyers now complain that they are underwater with the house value vs. loan value, but they are also complaining about the cost of heating and cooling these monster houses.

Again, you'll pardon me if I'm not sympathetic. My wife and I decided to put our money into a large piece of land instead of a large house. We had a substantial down payment, did not buy new cars (my daily driver is the POS 84 Custom Cruiser, hers is the 93 Allante), and did not overextend ourselves. Our reward is that we get to bail out the idiots who did...
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
car guy

Again, you'll pardon me if I'm not sympathetic. My wife and I decided to put our money into a large piece of land instead of a large house. We had a substantial down payment, did not buy new cars (my daily driver is the POS 84 Custom Cruiser, hers is the 93 Allante), and did not overextend ourselves. Our reward is that we get to bail out the idiots who did...
Right there with you. Wife drives a Silouette with 100K we were sending to auction from work. I drive a 210K mile Dodge Cummins truck. We live in a 1600SF home even thought I could qualify for a new Z06 vette and a 300K home.
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:05 PM

i agree with you joe to some extent but the banks should be allowed to say NO without government telling them to say yes. when purchasing large priced items there are many emotions at play. people can want more than they should when these emotions take over. i feel that is why banks should have the freedom to say NO. people should have had better self control and read the fine print but in the end the banks knew that some of these loans would never get paid when the paperwork was signed.
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Richard, I found the answer to your original question...

NO!

Check it out!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090824/...20090821304909
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Olds64
Richard, I found the answer to your original question...

NO!

Check it out!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090824/...20090821304909
So since I have an unmatched washer drawer pair that were bought at different times for a grand total of $125.00 I must be doing it wrong huh? 4 years on the washer and 3 years on the dryer so far. My 50.00 used washer before this one lasted 7 years. I better run out now and spent $2000 to save 5.00 a month on my electric bill.
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Captain of my ship

I live in Loudoun County, VA. Over the last ten years we were consistently in the top ten fastest growing counties in the US. Around me farms were being mowed down and carpeted with McMansions. All were consistently overpriced and yet people couldn't buy them fast enough. These are 5000 - 8000 sq ft homes on about 3 acres that sold for between $600K and $1M. Every one of these brand new homes had two brand new luxury SUVs in the driveway and a brand new Kubota tractor with a front end loader (after all, you gotta plow the couple of inches of snow we get here ). All this stuff was bought at about the same time, yet these expensive houses frequently had bed sheets as curtains and no landscaping. Of course, not only do these buyers now complain that they are underwater with the house value vs. loan value, but they are also complaining about the cost of heating and cooling these monster houses.

Just when was it that the whole sub-prime thing took off in the U.S.? I remember seeing stories about people trying to refinance their homes to take advantage of lower rates as well as people who wanted to move away from the city but had a hard time finding a house in a decent neighbourhood for an afforable price. Did the banks have any rules for refinancing to sub-prime or for qualifying? I don't think that a lot of people realized the risk they were taking or like most people thought the market was stable. I built my current house in 1994 by purchasing a piece of land then contracting the framers , roofers , electrician , plumber , foundation crew etc. It only cost a little over 70,000 total but it's current replacement value from my insurance is 210,000 , and that's just for the house. To me I could build the house again for about 125,000 factoring in the increase in building materials etc. My mother just built a new house and she has in-floor heat ( even in the 3 car garage ) a heat pump , on demand hot water , a whole house generator that runs on propane and runs the house when the power goes out. Wood and tile floors , solid notty pine doors throughout plus matching trim. That house cost 200,000 to build and is much newer than mine as well as having more expensive options. Of course the insurance assesment may be so they can charge me more to insure They would never artificially inflate the price
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

So since I have an unmatched washer drawer pair that were bought at different times for a grand total of $125.00 I must be doing it wrong huh? 4 years on the washer and 3 years on the dryer so far. My 50.00 used washer before this one lasted 7 years. I better run out now and spent $2000 to save 5.00 a month on my electric bill.
Got ya beat. Once I got tired of repairing our 25 year old Kenmore washer/dryer set (OK, I did buy those new), I scored a FREE replacement set on Craigslist. Three years later, all I've had to do is replace the rubber motor coupler on the washer.

Along the same lines, if I figure the cost to me of buying a new Prius (including the $3500 I would have gotten for my 84 Olds), the difference in price would buy gas for the Olds for about 100,000 miles! That also doesn't count the savings in interest on the loan or the cost of additional insurance required on a new car (collision/comprehensive). And while the Olds will certainly require more maintenance, parts are practically free. For example, I can buy new front rotors for less that the cost of turning the old ones.
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Captain of my ship

washer/dryer

I bought my set of Kenmores from my sister 15 years ago and she bought them new 10 years before that. the only thing i have fixed is the belt on the dryer. No plans on replacing them.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM

GE paid nothing and CEO Jeffery Immelt was on the presidents Jobs council. Somebody needs to flush the toilet as Nancy Pelosi said she would at the beginning of the Administraion. Now she has been top turd to go down the shoot, hope she holding on to Harry Reed mid flush.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:00 PM
car guy

As much as I would like to continue this thread its just not the place for it. No need to dig this one from the grave.