89 cutlass supreme rear drums

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM

89 cutlass supreme rear drums

hey, i have a 86 cutlass supreme brougham with a 307.

a brake line went on we a couple days ago and i just replaced the line. When i went around the back to bleed the rear i noticed the drums dont seem to have any bleeders.

is this normal, if so where would i be able to bleed them form?

thanks,

Adam
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by bigdaddypapenburg
hey, i have a 86 cutlass supreme brougham with a 307.

a brake line went on we a couple days ago and i just replaced the line. When i went around the back to bleed the rear i noticed the drums dont seem to have any bleeders.

is this normal, if so where would i be able to bleed them form?

thanks,

Adam
Welcome to the site,well just my two cents though I may be wrong but you could just loosen the line at the wheel cylender to bleed it.I have worked on vehicles that the bleeder screw was rusted solid and didn't have the time or money to replace the whole wheel cylinder.I have had luck with thrust to get them loose but never heard of no bleeder screw.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Bleeder screw is on the wheel cylinder its' on the back side at the top. Drums don't have bleeders. You might want to invest in a repair manual.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Drums don't have bleeders.
I know for a fact that my 1964 Olds 98 had bleeder screws on all 4 corners. It was a single chamber master cylinder with 4 drums.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM

I not didn't mean drum brakes don't have bleeders. When read the tread it sounds like he saying he thinks the drum has bleeders. I sure he didn't mean that but that is how it reads. That is why I said the wheel cylinders has a bleeder. Brake fluid goes to the wheel cylinder from the master cylinder. When you push on the brake pedal. The wheel cylinder pushes the brake shoes out and makes contact with the drum stopping the car. The drum is only one part of the brake not the whole so the drum doesn't have bleeders the wheel cylinder does. Each drum brake has it own wheel cylinder.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Oh, right.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I didn't mean drum brakes don't have bleeders. When read the read it sounds like he saying he thinks the drum has bleeders. I'm sure he didn't mean that but that is how it reads. That is why I said the wheel cylinders has a bleeder. Brake fluid goes to the wheel cylinder from the master cylinder. When you push on the brake pedal. The wheel cylinder pushes the brake shoes out and makes contact with the drum stopping the car. The drum is only one part of the brake not the whole so the drum doesn't have bleeders the wheel cylinder does. Each drum brake has it own wheel cylinder.
I fixed a few of your typos and I should hope that the drum it's self wouldn't have bleeders that would be one odd car and would be interesting to see how they would make it work with all the moving parts.I have not done as much with the front wheel cars as I have with the rear drive ones.But still all cars have four bleeders though when they get old they get stuborn.I have done several things to get by that include loosening the line to bleed the brakes as well as changing bleeder screw,new wheel cylinder and using thrust to get it loose from rusts grip.I have also snapped a few bleeder screws as well you can imagine things that are said when that happens along with the aggervation of the job to begin with.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM

I get in a hurry typing sometimes I don't get much time on the computer. Yeah bleeders can be a pain in the butt sometimes, and sometimes you get lucky.
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM

If the bleeders are rusted shut you can always soad them with PB Blaster. It works great!
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
67 heavy metal

Ahh so this pb blaster is much the same as thrust or wd40
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM

much the same as thrust or wd40
The same like a 10 second 1968 Cutlass and a 1984 Cutlass Calais with a blown head gasket!

PB Blaster is MUCH better than WD40. I don't know what Thrust is...
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Olds64
The same like a 10 second 1968 Cutlass and a 1984 Cutlass Calais with a blown head gasket!

PB Blaster is MUCH better than WD40. I don't know what Thrust is...
thrust is penetrating oil to get those rusted bolts loose.ehh wd 40 was just a reference maby not one of the better ones.I am finding there are uses for household items that take the place of buying products you don't relly need.For instance you can use pam or cooking spray to get squeeky door hinges on doors or cabinets to stop sqeaking.
Old October 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Oh, ok. Thrust is probably pretty similar then.