Took off my rear drums...WTF???

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Took off my rear drums...WTF???

Seems every time I touch my 70 W30 I enter into an adventure. I took off the back wheels to re-do the rims and figured while I had them off I'd pop off the drums and blast them at work tomorrow. When I got to looking at the drums I thought they just looked plain weird.

So I came in and went online to see if I could find replacements for them in the event mine don't have enough meat on them to reuse. Every drum I found from AC Delco, Wagner, Bendix, etc, looked nothing like what I have on the car. I'll attach a pic of mine so you can see what I mean. I'll add that mine are pretty darn lightweight compared to the thick cast iron replacements.

Anybody know if the advertised replacements really replace the drums I have? Also, anybody know who sells the correct rear wheel studs for a 70 442?....came up empty on my searches.

thanks,
bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Original.jpg (52.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg
NewReplacement.jpg (62.6 KB, 35 views)
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM

Those are "non vented" drums. No fins for heat dissipation. You can't find those any more from what I understand.
The studs are common. I replaced all of mine on my O axle last year.
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM

The stamped steel/iron insert drums probably cost too much to make. Replacements are cast iron. I have misc. drums cheap if you are anywhere near NV, NM or Tx.
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:02 AM

I replaced all my drums with the finned ones, haven't had a problem yet.
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:09 AM

Those drums you have are the originals.I would keep them,even if they can't be turned. Everything you buy now will have the fins.
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Brian......I guess I'm still amazed at the fact of a "non-vented" drum! Guess I'm not old enough.....talked to an old hot rodder today and explained what they looked like and he was amazed I didn't know what they were. Seems most cars had unvented drums back in the days of black and white. Interesting stuff. I'll definitely save them. I plan on sandblasting them tomorrow and giving them a nice coat of POR15 for posterity.

Run to Rund.....I appreciate the offer, thanks!....but I'm a bit away...in Maryland.

I'm still looking for a source for new rear wheel studs........haven't had any luck online or from AC Delco. I'll try Napa tomorrow, but if anyone knows where else to try don't be shy.

thanks again,
bob
Old October 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM

I also have some extra drums and guess what----I'm in Maryland! The wheel studs are everywhere. Advance, Salvo, you get the idea. I would suggest taking one of the originals with you because there are several sizes of the knurled ends. Also, I just ran into this---my '69 W31 has 4-wheel non-power drum brakes; the fronts were of a design that incorporated the hub and drum into one unit. I could not find long (N.H.R.A. approved) studs anywhere---I mean couldn't find'em! I changed over to the two piece design and found everything I needed MUCH easier. The car is an original dealer-sponsored F/Stocker and I plan to "race" in some nostalgia events---it has been shown at the York U.S.30 reunion the past three years.
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Dave,

You're right, I just found the studs at NAPAonline.....I'll swing buy tomorrow and get some. Not sure if I'd trust the quality of the Dormann studs found at the other auto stores. I'm surprised AC Delco doesn't make them anymore.

As for the drums I'm going to replace them with the current finned cast iron replacements. I'm going thru the brake system completely as this will be a daily driver eventually. But I may get a set of the original non vented drums from you just to have around. Where in MD are you? I'm in Great Mills in St. Mary's county.

take care,
bob
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Hey Bob, I live in Sparks, MD which is north of Baltimore and just below the PA line off Rt.83.
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I am over on the Eastern Shore of MD. Maybe we should try and get together.
Larry
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Hi Dave,

I actually get up your way fairly often.....I have meetings at a company in Cockeysville a few exits up on 83 from 695.

Larry.....I think we're all up for a party on the Eastern Shore....awesome place to live.

So what do you say guys.......everyone meet at Larry's on Sunday for some football and a beautiful view of the ocean? I got the pretzels covered. )

regards,
bob

Ok....you're right....that's just plain wrong of me to invite myself over the guy's house and only show up with some cheapie pretzels. So I'll take care of the chips too!!!!
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:41 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Bring Beer Too and its a deal
Larry