steering fun. WTF Napa?

Old May 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

steering fun. WTF Napa?

Well, now that the front suspension is back together I decided to toss the steering linkage together today. Of course I ran into a little problem once Everything was torqued to spec. I noticed that my center link was creeping up on a slight angle. So I leveled the frame, and put the level on the the link.
1/2'' of rise on the driver's side.
My pitman arm and new idler arm are not a great match.
So I grabbed another arm from an extra box in the garage
Box splines are too small.
Sigh. So after some head scratching I remembered that the pitman arm on the box was from a 65 Cutlass. I called 14 different places today trying to find someone who had the matching idler arm. FINALLY 20 miles away, Napa has one. I got there, opened the box, grabbed it and twisted it to check for play and it BROKE
I looked at the part, made in U.S.A. Now I'm scared. The guy says He can get me another tomorrow. Another P.O.S.? I'm bringing a vise and a dial indicator with me to Napa tomorrow,putting it in there, and checking for recoil. If there is ANY play in this second one I am going to have to badmouth their red blooded American made product line. Brings a tear to my eye. I hope this was a freak accident for all of our sake. That thing could have killed me if I was dumb enough to put it on the car and take it to the track.