Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Had a bit of a bang up this week..got driven into..

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Glad to hear you are finding some parts. All the Repro bumpers that I have seen have been front bumpers and were definitely thinner. But those may have been some of the early Repros and I have never knowingly seen or handled A reproduction rear bumper.
Old August 18th, 2017, 05:13 AM

Hi Allan,

I'm pretty sure the bumpers Tamraz sells are the same ones as Fusick, OPGI, Parts Place, Year One and (shocker) Rock Auto.

- I would think this too but how could it be verified I wonder? And also some of the guy's are saying the fronts might be thinner but maybe that was earlier stuff as well.

OAI hood? Ah hahahahah! No, the insurance company isn't going to pony up that kind of money for an option that wasn't on the car to start with. Your car looks really nice in it's stock format.

- ya I was pretty much joking..well..mostly atleast. . Then I saw the price and that pretty much ended that thought..$2450 USD plus ship and brokerage fees! And I agree with you on the stock format honestly..has a nice clean look.

Is the rad support damaged that bad?? If you have a good battery tray area, save that just in case the replacement isn't so good. BTW, rad supports for these cars are repopped now too. That wheel opening molding is special because it's for the SX style trim, and very hard to find. It's stainless steel, and can be reworked and polished to new condition. I didn't see it was that badly damaged. I'd keep it and have it reworked.

- I can't confirm how bad it's damaged other than that there is damage..hood is twisted and pushed back on the right side so I couldn't open it without causing more damage to the left side..wait till it gets to the body shop and they can open it. But I didn't see repop cores for 71 or 72..just for the 70. And the wheel well trim does have one slightly sharp bend/crease in it but I'm not sure to what degree they can rework that stuff..be good if they could.

Thanks Allan!
Trev
Old August 21st, 2017, 04:02 AM

Go with Junkman said .Tell the repair shop to stick with top quality parts. not for you to worry about the cost.Do you think the INS. co cares about saving $ for you?? I just was thru this about 2 years ago. Hagerty was great. Please keep us posted. Good luclk
Old August 24th, 2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Actually that's not true. The production of GM panels, although standardized, doesn't mean it won't need to be shimmed or tweaked as much as the aftermarket ones. I bought NIB GM fenders for my 72 in 1983 because they were still readily available although pricy IMO at the time. Both of them have over 1" of shims on the cowl mounting tab, and need additional shims on the bottom. They also needed to have slight imperfections attended to in the body shop. I've never used Goodmark or Sherman, so I'll be curious to see what the OP actually decides to buy and how the fitment went.

Indeed. I got the NOS pair from Fusick a few weeks ago. The right side was bent at the rear corner (probably dropped on the edge at some point), and the rear mounting bracket on the left one was welded in the wrong place - it was angled off by 2". Had to drill 9 spot welds and put it back in the right place. So NOS != Perfect.

As for front bumpers, I got the Tamraz "US Plated" front. It fit just fine and is a few pounds lighter than OEM but still plenty strong. However, the left side park light bucket was welded in the wrong place - it was angled like the right side bucket. The manufacturer told me to stop being so picky, Tamraz offered a refund, but enough mangling of the mount holes made it work OK.
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
Indeed. I got the NOS pair from Fusick a few weeks ago. The right side was bent at the rear corner (probably dropped on the edge at some point), and the rear mounting bracket on the left one was welded in the wrong place - it was angled off by 2". Had to drill 9 spot welds and put it back in the right place. So NOS != Perfect.
I can also attest to this. I bought two NOS fenders back in the early 90s and the passenger fender rear mounting bracket was slightly off, so the fender didn't align well with the door.
Old August 24th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who found OEM NOS fenders to have lesser quality than expected. In light of this, perhaps some.of the aftermarket ones are getting a bum rap unnecessarily.

I'm pleased to hear that Tamraz was willing to work with you and offered a refund. I'm sure the bumper would have the same flaws as Parts Place, Year One, Fusick, Goodmark etc. I didn't know about that front lamp issue, but am glad you found a fix.
Old August 24th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Cory

Originally Posted by '71CS
Tamaraz seems to be out of stock for my bumper..according to the website..guess a call is in order to confirm or see when they are expecting some.
FYI: The Tamraz bumper I bought a couple months ago is GOLDEN STAR brand - there may be other vendors that have one in stock.
Old August 24th, 2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Good to hear that I'm not the only one who found OEM NOS fenders to have lesser quality than expected.
I had wondered if they were rejects that didn't pass QC when these cars were being manufactured.
Old August 24th, 2017, 05:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Fun71
I had wondered if they were rejects that didn't pass QC when these cars were being manufactured.
I don't think so Kenneth. When I bought my fenders it was 1985. I'm pretty sure they were stamped for a few years after the production year ended. Didn't GM have to maintain inventory of parts for at least 10 years after the model year production? That doesn't excuse shoddy production, but may explain why some parts weren't assembled as carefully as when they were required for production.
Old August 24th, 2017, 06:09 PM

I bought a front bumper for my '69 and Golden Star Auto was the only manufacturer. I did a lot of research on it and it turned out that Summit had the best price shipped to my door. Fit & finish is pretty good and mine is a driver. I've noticed it seems to scratch easily though.
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:42 AM
delete

Originally Posted by dream66
FWIW - I bought the cheapest 72 repro rear bumper I could find a couple months back and am very impressed with it. Got it from Tamraz on ebay.
What brand did they give you? I just got one from them. I asked for Golden Start because I heard good things. They sent me AMD. I wasn't that impressed with it.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:23 PM

Lots to report..acquired parts..car at body shop..prep,paint and reassembly.

Well after sourcing parts in various places and planning a two day round trip this is what I came up with. Left home early one morning from near Ottawa, Ont. and hit Detroit Michigan for a good rechromed bumper and a mint hood in St.Clair Michigan..about a 13 hour day 1. Day 2 I picked up the rest of the parts in Hamilton, rad core support, front fender and all the small headlight surround pieces and made my way home..bout a 10 hour day. Trip went really well and met three great Guy's that were all fun to chat with, spend a little time with talking cars and what not and picked up some good used original parts..was worth the time and effort for sure, fun little tour actually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.06 MB, 11 views)
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:40 PM

Pics..

Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:13 PM

On the flat bed going into the body shop..

Old November 2nd, 2017, 07:58 PM

Lookin Good

Coming together nicely.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 10:30 PM

Keep in mind, that if the color match on the car isn't exact, you can and should reopen the claim, and ask that the entire car be painted. I was once told by a Hagerty agent that they had to repaint a complete car, when the color couldn't be matched. I asked the question, because my 1962 Chevrolet is a light blue with a lot of metallic in it, and it almost never matches, so if my car were to ever suffer physical damage, it would be in for a total repaint. Besides, it is almost impossible to match paint that is 55 years old!
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman
Keep in mind, that if the color match on the car isn't exact, you can and should reopen the claim, and ask that the entire car be painted.
x2

I'm sure they'll finish it the right way. It's good to progress in restoring your Cutlass to its former glory.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:39 AM

Glad to see it's coming along nicely.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 03:52 PM
Olds Fever

Good to see that it will be resurrected back as another fine example of Olds history... We have to believe that Olds will never die and be well represented in the automotive hobby...