Intake Manifold question

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Intake Manifold question

'68 400 Turnpike Cruiser
Just over 100,000 miles - single owner car until we bought it.

Original owner has not had the intake manifold gasket replaced, ever.

The attached photos show apparent leak where intake meets the heads. It does not smell overtly like oil or antifreeze.

I have read several post on this forum regarding the tray style metal gasket and the sealing methods. Any recommendations on brand and sourcing of intake gasket?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old November 5th, 2017, 08:30 PM

Turnpike, looks like normal seepage for a '68 with 100k on the clock. Is it actually dripping out anywhere? I'd be more concerned about the original timing chain myself. Were Olds nylon geared back then? Scarey! Enjoy your ride, would like to see some pics. Good luck.
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:37 AM

Is the dirt on the engine the only indication you have that the intake gasket is blown? If your Olds is running fine use some Simple Green to clean the engine and drive it.
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Maintained

I agree with "shiftbygear". The original nylon timing gears are probably starting to crack and break off by now. If you want to clean up the engine, I would go a few hours deeper into replacing the timing set, water pump, intake gasket, and valve cover gaskets.

The pictures you show are normal road dust collecting minor seepage. Not usually a problem for driving the car.
Old November 6th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Turnpike
'68 400 Turnpike Cruiser
Just over 100,000 miles - single owner car until we bought it.

Original owner has not had the intake manifold gasket replaced, ever.
So? This is normal for a cast iron V8.

The attached photos show apparent leak where intake meets the heads. It does not smell overtly like oil or antifreeze.
Also normal seepage. Have you tried simply re-torquing the intake bolts?

I have read several post on this forum regarding the tray style metal gasket and the sealing methods. Any recommendations on brand and sourcing of intake gasket?
FelPro MS96004. Available everywhere. Be sure to follow the installation instructions in the Chassis Service Manual. Dry fit the gasket first to ensure the four locating features properly align in the holes in the heads. There was a batch made a little while ago that had these punched incorrectly. And you are probably better off throwing the rubber end seals away and building up a bead of RTV on the front and back rails of the block. Be sure to make this high enough - once you torque the intake the gasket is not reusable. I like Permatex Ultra Black RTV.
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Thank you for the replies. Will clean off the engine and re-torque the bolts and see how that goes. First on my list is to replace the failed water pump......
Old November 6th, 2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Turnpike
Thank you for the replies. Will clean off the engine and re-torque the bolts and see how that goes. First on my list is to replace the failed water pump......
Well your one step closer to the timing chain when you pull the water pump.
I would do the chain as mentioned above as well as the fuel pump, when you have it all apart
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:03 PM

yup my brother took our old 67 vc to chicago one summer to my sisters.he got back took all his stuff in the house and went to go downtown for something and it wouldn't start,timing chain jumped when he shut it off.it had about 110k on it.
Old November 7th, 2017, 07:17 AM

That seepage could be engine oil from the valve cover gaskets and oil filler tube and cap. The intake gasket is probably fine. Fel pro makes the tray type gasket and other brands use it, with the Fel Pro logo stamped into it.
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:41 PM

Appreciate the added suggestions on timing chain/gears.

I have read numerous threads now on the nylon timing gears. One even showed the pieces that were trapped in his oil pump pick-up screen. I have reached out to original owner to see if it has ever been changed.
I am ready to do that as well along with water pump.