Distributor gear chewed up

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2022, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
LS doesnt have a distributor. Small Block Chevy, most Buicks, most straight sixes and a lot of V-6's all turn clockwise.
BillK, you got me, thanks for the correction. I looked this up a while back and I was only looking at V-8's. I should have specified better. What I read showed BBC, SBC and 340-360 type Chryslers were clockwise, everything else was CCW.
Old April 14th, 2022, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
Folks i dont know what caused it, I bought a pertronix on a friends advice..pain in the *** so I basically cleaned, re- oiled and set up my original distributor and things are working fine..bottom line is for some reason my 455 does not like, or want 34 degrees total timing..causes problems..why? No idea.. just know at 28 -30 total, 7-8 initial it smooths out and runs, starts fine. I shelved the pertronix as after install, nothing changed.. yes, I found tdc, it ended up being on the 4 BTDC line, not at zero..again,, why..no idea
Keep an eye on the damper, it might be time to get it rebuilt.
Old April 28th, 2023, 05:43 AM

If you put the distributor in the engine and bolt it down can you grab the rotor and move it up and down ? If so I dont think there is reason to machine anything.

Is there an oil hole in the back galley plug now ?
Old October 7th, 2023, 11:36 AM

Any idea what causes this one side of the gear wear..? Pulled my distributor as I am thinking of putting a pertonix in it. it had a few shims in it.pertronix tells you to shim so no more than .010 to .060 clearance up or down so magnet ring does not rub the component.. Anyway changed gear, haven’t shimmed or installed yet with the pertronix because I need to know what caused this gear wear on one side? Any ideas?

try a composite gear:

https://www.bopengineering.com/olds_v8.shtml

Last edited by mrdroptop2018; October 7th, 2023 at 11:43 AM.
Old October 7th, 2023, 12:23 PM

My specific question was two fold and yes I believe answered..I am leaning toward the chewed gear was because somebody stacked shims on the distributor leaving basically no clearance causing the issue in the pics. The other question on what gear to use moving forth you just answered..thank you. Much appreciated

Just saw this, sounds like you found the issue which is always nice! Let us know how things work out. Great thread.
Old October 9th, 2023, 06:05 PM
Gary

For those who would be considering a bronze gear...
​​​​​​
Make sure the seller specifically calls out AMPCO 45 alloy.

This is a patented, high strength, long lasting nickel-aluminum-bronze alloy. It was originally used for this application until people started only considering price as a purchase criterion.
Old October 9th, 2023, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
​​​​​​

This is a patented, high strength, long lasting nickel-aluminum-bronze alloy. It was originally used for this application until people started only considering price as a purchase criterion.
Don't even chance it. Pony up for the BOP Engineering carbon gear, and don't look back.
Old October 9th, 2023, 08:43 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by fleming442
Pony up for the BOP Engineering carbon gear, and don't look back.
X2

The BOP gear is the best choice by far. I only meant to explain why some current "bronze" gears are so terrible. Apologies for my poor wording.
Old October 10th, 2023, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
​​​​​​

There are several grades of AMPCO. I have machined AMPCO 19 or AMPCO 21 and it needs to be drilled with carbide or carbide tipped drills. Another durable brass would be AMS 4640.