Distributor gear question

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2018, 06:31 AM

Distributor gear question

Ok.I have a 455 with an erson cam. The distributor is a pertronix flamethrower with a steel gear. After some research and calling the cam company they said i needed to use the bronze gear. Ok, fine.
My question is how long until something messes up with the gears? Currently I only have maybe 100 miles on the engine. Its rebuilt and was only driven to work to work on it at the shop and was totally clueless about having to change the gears? It starts fine, runs fine and no problem getting the timing right thus far.
Also how do you adjust the distributor end play with the shims or check for clearances? Thanks
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:45 AM

About gears, no idea, but you dont shim your distributor.
Cam pulls distributor shaft down when engine is rotating, to "rest" on the machined pad on the block, and that way sets the gear height correct.
Old March 31st, 2018, 07:00 AM

I thought you had to put a shim at the base of the distributor to adjust for clearances to make sure the gear and cam are lined up right? Am I not correct..
Old March 31st, 2018, 07:29 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by big man
I thought you had to put a shim at the base of the distributor...
Look at the bottom of the drive gear on your original distributor. Observe how shiny it is. That's because the distributor gear is cut so that it pulls down, as Inline said. Also see that there are no shims above your original gear and the top of the gear is not shiny.

Shims would only be needed if the gear had an opposite hand cut and pulled up.

On an Olds, a shim would take up space that is there to allow the distributor to seat fully.
Old March 31st, 2018, 01:34 PM

I’m guessing you have roller?
Old March 31st, 2018, 02:44 PM

Actually Marc you had this cam custom ground for me. Part # E540996.
Im just now getting this engine back together after a year or so later because you nor the cam card itself told me it was a 4-7 swap cam. Sucks because I had to pull my engine back out, have everything redone and $800 bucks later here I am...I made a thread on realolds about why my engine wasn't running right and couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wouldn't run correctly. After swapping intakes, carbs, and checking valve lash it just came down to just having the wrong firing order..who would've thought that?? Anyway, engines running good now and would like to keep it like that. Anyone have a bronze gear? I've spent plenty already lol
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:39 PM

Sorry I didn’t pass that along but there should’ve been a piece of paper in the box stating the same as well.
i have a new Comp #442 bronze gear for sale then if you want it, $50 it’s yours.
Old March 31st, 2018, 07:42 PM

Does your Pertronix distributor have the same shaft as an MSD unit? I've been running a stock melonized MSD gear with my Erson roller cam for years, all good.
Old April 1st, 2018, 08:40 AM

It says pertronix has a steel gear.
No ill effects just yet but before I drive this car again Im going to scrape up enough money and change out the gear.