Mufflers for 67 442

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Mufflers for 67 442

Im sure there is a thread on whats the best muffler to put on a 67 442, Im not really good at setting too long looking for my answer, so I will ask the board.

I want to put mufflers on my dual exhaust, I would like something that doesnt drive you crazy while driving the car, but I would like to hear the 400 motor hmmmmmm at redlights and when you put your foot into her. I havent bought anything new in a while so I would like to do this right without any regrets later.

Im not a 18 anymore and dont want to act like I am either. Im almost into my 60's and would like a good sounding muffler, to match the 442 sound of the motor and when they hear it, they know its a OLDS!
As you all know, its a sound of its own! I dont want to cover that sound up with noise.
thanks
-harv
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 67cutlass442
Im sure there is a thread on whats the best muffler to put on a 67 442, Im not really good at setting too long looking for my answer, so I will ask the board.

I want to put mufflers on my dual exhaust, I would like something that doesnt drive you crazy while driving the car, but I would like to hear the 400 motor hmmmmmm at redlights and when you put your foot into her. I havent bought anything new in a while so I would like to do this right without any regrets later.

Im not a 18 anymore and dont want to act like I am either. Im almost into my 60's and would like a good sounding muffler, to match the 442 sound of the motor and when they hear it, they know its a OLDS!
As you all know, its a sound of its own! I dont want to cover that sound up with noise.
thanks
-harv
Harv,
This is difficult to answer because everyone has a different interpretation of how a muffler should sound. My favorite muffler for a 67 would be a "purple hornie", which I believe dynomax markets, but the current edition doesn't compare favorably to the older version, 15-20yrs.ago. I'm running magnaflow stainless with 3 inch exhaust and I think my car sounds pretty good! Good luck! I'm sure you will get other opinions, round up someone with a car like yours and listen to their exhaust and see if you like the sound.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Trying to remember member

Tough to gauge how much is enough. With my stock '67 442 convert, I've decided to go with Dynomax Ultraflows because I like the way they sound, and they rate high in flow tests, which is important to me because I'm going with stock 2-1/4 pipes. And the great correct tailpipes from Walt. I've just finished getting all the parts together and will install soon.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Several threads, actually, all available with the search function:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...too-raspy.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lds-442-a.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ggestions.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-v8-sound.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Is it allright to ask the Olds people on this board, or should I start using the search function?
I just joined this board and have posted 7 post, I have been corrected on 2 of them by moderaters, I dont feel very welcome on here for some reason.
-harv
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM

You are quite welcome! But to keep everyone else from having to answer the same questions over and over, it only makes sense to look for previous posts on your question first. Right?
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
You are quite welcome! But to keep everyone else from having to answer the same questions over and over, it only makes sense to look for previous posts on your question first. Right?
NO, reason being, companys are changing mufflers and systems all the time to improve performance, most of these threads are old and not so old, what some have on their cars now, wont be as good as what came out 3 months ago. Things change all the time on parts. Mufflers are one of them, what used to be good back then, might suck now.
-harv
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM

NO, reason being, companys are changing mufflers and systems all the time to improve performance, most of these threads are old and not so old, what some have on their cars now, wont be as good as what came out 3 months ago. Things change all the time on parts. Mufflers are one of them, what used to be good back then, might suck now.
-harv
I understand, and that's a good point. But in this case as in some others, there *are* recent posts. So as someone new, it still makes sense to search posts first. Guys put in a lot of time and effort answering questions. I think first checking for previous posts is the least one can do to "help the cause".
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I understand, and that's a good point. But in this case as in some others, there *are* recent posts. So as someone new, it still makes sense to search posts first. Guys put in a lot of time and effort answering questions. I think first checking for previous posts is the least one can do to "help the cause".
This is a fricking pissing contest and Im done playing this with you. I didnt put a gun to anyone's head and ask them to help me, if they dont want to help me they wont! If your worried about that little bit of harddrive space I used in asking the question of the right muffler to use, beleive me, I didnt use that much space. I also dont understand why you keep answering my post, would like to hear from someone else beside you all the time.

Im done with this board, Im not playing this anymore, i just joined and Im already sick of this, I dont need it. I came here with questions and I got was corrections. I wont be back, please delet my accoung while I slip out the back door, to think I emailed you now Im wondering if my grandkids will be safe now. Holly Cow let me out of here
-harv
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:32 AM

You're quite safe, Harv. You're the one that seems to be having the problem.
We're a pretty friendly lot here.
Quite frankly if you're too lazy to spend some of your time looking up posts, and then getting pissed off that it is suggested to you, then we're probably better off not wasting our time with you. This forum just isn't for you.
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM

JEEZ LOUISE!

Harv, if you are still out there we would love to have you as a member. I don't mind answering your question. I think I have described how to do a tune up about 10 times.

IMHO, you should get 12 inch long 3 inch glasspacks from O'Reillys and put them on right under the seat. Then hack off the tail pipe and put turn downs on those babys and your good to go.

No really, for a good exhaust note I have heard that Flowmasters are the way to go. I belive the 40 series are the loudest and the 60 series has the most mellow tone. I think I might put 60 series on my 98 once I start it up this summer.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Holly Cow Harv

FYI

I'm a "Super Mod" [whatever that is] and I get "corrected" all the time.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Holy cow, short fuse, good thing he didn't meet Norm first. We would be getting a bomb in the mail.

PS love ya Norm
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Great minds think alike
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Thanks, I'll certainly leave "being Norm" to Norm. At least 2 of us will appreciate that!

And by the way, just for the record, he did e-mail me with with questions and I emailed him back detailed answers with nothing more than straight answers.
Guess he just has a strange way of saying thanks.

Last edited by wmachine; July 8th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Holy cow, short fuse ........
Good thing I'm not a muffler expert.

Norm
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM

As long as I have had big block oldsmobiles, I think nothing sounds better than dual glass packs with a full tail pipes out the back.
My 64 is loud when I stomp on it has a great sounding idle and I can always hear the radio.

I, personally, don't care for the Flowmaster sound, to me they sound like Maxwell House coffee cans, but that is strictly my opinion and to each his own.

I have encountered similar people at this site and several others, please don't throw the baby out with the bath water, this is a great resource and we Olds fans are very luck to have it!