Mufflers From InLineTube

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Mufflers From InLineTube

Planning on getting my exhaust system from ILT. But, does anyone know who's mufflers they are? What about Flowmasters? Want a stock sound with a" little" bit of bite. Recommendations?
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have that exact same exhaust set here in the garage if you ever make it up near Chicago. Make a fair offer and it's all yours, bud. I suppose I could ship as well. I'd have to figure that part out.
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

AL
Here's a couple links to this topic. It's been discussed by others.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post390661

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post378000

I went with a local shop and had the exhaust custom built. I've been happy with it. You know that if your car was a single exhaust to start with, duals will automatically make it louder unless you add a resonator to each side. When I did mine, I had the shop start with mufflers and then test drove it. Too loud. Installed resonators both sides? Nice Olds rumble and throaty growl...
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
AL
Here's a couple links to this topic. It's been discussed by others.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post390661

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post378000

I went with a local shop and had the exhaust custom built. I've been happy with it. You know that if your car was a single exhaust to start with, duals will automatically make it louder unless you add a resonator to each side. When I did mine, I had the shop start with mufflers and then test drove it. Too loud. Installed resonators both sides? Nice Olds rumble and throaty growl...
Thanks Allan, thought you'd be hiding Easter eggs this evening!
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by shimmer
Thanks Allan, thought you'd be hiding Easter eggs this evening!
Nope! I have a hard enough time remembering what I had for lunch or where I put my glasses..

Ever sat on a 3 month old chocolate bunny waiting to be found?? We've kind of outgrown that here. Nowadays, it's off for a nice Sunday brunch or dim sum. That makes all of us happy. My son will like that too, since he can now drive us around as he learns which fender to dent next
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Nope! I have a hard enough time remembering what I had for lunch or where I put my glasses..

Ever sat on a 3 month old chocolate bunny waiting to be found?? We've kind of outgrown that here. Nowadays, it's off for a nice Sunday brunch or dim sum. That makes all of us happy. My son will like that too, since he can now drive us around as he learns which fender to dent next
You watching the Barrett Auction? A 71 w-30 just went for 40K. Unbelevable low prices going on I think
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You watching the Barrett Auction? A 71 w-30 just went for 40K. Unbelevable low prices going on I think
Yeah I saw that. Caught a few flaws on it myself. Was really surprised it went for so little. Right around the same time 2 1957 Holiday 88's went on the block too. One was a coupe and the other was a vert. The coupe went for 67K and the vert only 60K. Who's kidding who? ONLY 67K? Wait till tomorrow when they start getting into stupid money....

On a positive note? CANADA is playing for GOLD tomorrow in Basel Switzerland. Glenn Howard (one of our finest IMO) and his team take on Scotland AGAIN. Beat them in round robin, and in the 1-2 playoff match. They (Scotland) just don't quit. I LIKE THAT!! - they're a young team with lots of room to grow and improve. If Glenn wins tomorrow, it will be his 4th World Championship Gold medal.
TSN - 10:00am ET
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I have that exact same exhaust set here in the garage if you ever make it up near Chicago. Make a fair offer and it's all yours, bud. I suppose I could ship as well. I'd have to figure that part out.
Thanks for the offer but little to far to drive up and down. We lived there downtown back in 51-55-All I remember is the "L" and Christmas shopping at all the stores at night. And the submarine....
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Planning on getting my exhaust system from ILT. But, does anyone know who's mufflers they are? What about Flowmasters? Want a stock sound with a" little" bit of bite. Recommendations?
I put the factory correct system from ILT on my car last year. I don't know who makes the mufflers (they told me they're a 'Turbo' flow-thru style). They are correct in appearance and dimensions as the OEM were and they have the EXACT sound I was looking for (the factory 'cackle' and idle sound like an old inboard motored PT boat - "Bleck..bleck...bleck..bleck.."). I had Flowmasters on my '71 SS454 Chevelle and they sounded great but were too loud for my liking and, of course, weren't factory appearing. My 442 previously had a Dynamax system (from the previous owner) with X-pipe and Dynamax mufflers and it was 2.5" all the way and throatier than the ILT system I have now but actually a littler quieter. What I HATED about that Dynamax system was at 1800-2000 rpm cruise the drone noise inside the car was UNBEARABLE! I couldn't hear myself think, let alone talk to someone. Lower or higher rpm it went away but with 3.23 gears my car spends a lot of time at 1800-2000 rpms!! Hope this helps.
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
I put the factory correct system from ILT on my car last year. I don't know who makes the mufflers (they told me they're a 'Turbo' flow-thru style). They are correct in appearance and dimensions as the OEM were and they have the EXACT sound I was looking for (the factory 'cackle' and idle sound like an old inboard motored PT boat - "Bleck..bleck...bleck..bleck.."). I had Flowmasters on my '71 SS454 Chevelle and they sounded great but were too loud for my liking and, of course, weren't factory appearing. My 442 previously had a Dynamax system (from the previous owner) with X-pipe and Dynamax mufflers and it was 2.5" all the way and throatier than the ILT system I have now but actually a littler quieter. What I HATED about that Dynamax system was at 1800-2000 rpm cruise the drone noise inside the car was UNBEARABLE! I couldn't hear myself think, let alone talk to someone. Lower or higher rpm it went away but with 3.23 gears my car spends a lot of time at 1800-2000 rpms!! Hope this helps.
Morning Mike- Thanks for the input. That helps greatly. I am loooking for exactly what you have said. My wife has owned this car since she was 17 if that tells her age. And remembers what it sounded like. I'm doing a frame off putting back as was and didn't want an intrusive interior sound. Good enough for me-will order tomorrow. By the way use to live in the Raleigh-Durham area in the 80's for a year building a restaurant. Was a nice area. Hope it still is. Thank you again!

Last edited by Al Graaf; April 8th, 2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: grammer again!
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:19 AM

Anytime Al. You won't be disappointed with that system for sounds, appearance, fit and finish. EVERY time I start the car and hear that idle I say "it was worth every penny".
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM

On the Flowmasters on your Chevelle, was it too loud at all times, or just under load? I just cant get enough of the way they sound at idle.
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Anytime Al. You won't be disappointed with that system for sounds, appearance, fit and finish. EVERY time I start the car and hear that idle I say "it was worth every penny".
Mike, got another question for you. I bought the tumpet tips last year from YearOne. They are 2" ID. Will they work with ILT pipes. Spoke with them couple of weeks ago and said theirs comes with them but would remove and deduct if mine would fit. But then again he said he doubted if they would. Are their tail pipes 2" OD? You can EMail me at resimprove@aol if you like.
Thanks again,
AL
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Mike, got another question for you. I bought the tumpet tips last year from YearOne. They are 2" ID. Will they work with ILT pipes. Spoke with them couple of weeks ago and said theirs comes with them but would remove and deduct if mine would fit. But then again he said he doubted if they would. Are their tail pipes 2" OD? You can EMail me at resimprove@aol if you like.
Thanks again,
AL
The ILT exhaust is 2 1/4" front pipes into the mufflers and then 2" tailpipes just like the factory. The tips that come with the kit are stainless and really nice and they fit over the tailpipe so I think they have an inside diameter of more than the 2". (I actually had to expand the tailpipes slightly so the tip would fit snuggly then I put a small 'tack weld' on the bottom where you can't see just for security). The ILT tailpipes are expanded on the ends to accept the tips they provide. If you use the tips you have you may have to modify the tailpipes and weld them on. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing since the tips were welded onto the tailpipes originally. I guess you could deduct them from the kit, try the tips you have and if it's too much of a hassle, order the ones from ILT.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
On the Flowmasters on your Chevelle, was it too loud at all times, or just under load? I just cant get enough of the way they sound at idle.
They were 40s I believe and they had a nice sound but were pretty loud most of the time and especially under load. More of a Street Machine sound rather than a factory stock sound.
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

The ILT exhaust is 2 1/4" front pipes into the mufflers and then 2" tailpipes just like the factory. The tips that come with the kit are stainless and really nice and they fit over the tailpipe so I think they have an inside diameter of more than the 2". (I actually had to expand the tailpipes slightly so the tip would fit snuggly then I put a small 'tack weld' on the bottom where you can't see just for security). The ILT tailpipes are expanded on the ends to accept the tips they provide. If you use the tips you have you may have to modify the tailpipes and weld them on. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing since the tips were welded onto the tailpipes originally. I guess you could deduct them from the kit, try the tips you have and if it's too much of a hassle, order the ones from ILT.
Allan had mentione that pipe are measured as OD and attachment as the tip are ID. In which cas they would fit. It's a 150 question. Guess I could do like you said and try it. I got them from YO and they are nice. Guess we'll find out this weekWill kep you posted as to the out come!
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

As per you advice ordered today!
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:20 AM

So you guys have been driving around with inline tube exhausts for a couple of years now. I still have a bone stock single exhaust on my car.. Albeit It's a 350 though, would you guys suggest the inlinetube setup?

What was your experience with the Do-it-yourself installation?