Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Oil filter

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2014 | 04:40 AM

Question Oil filter

I baught o new oil filter to my 1947 serie 68 with 257 cu engine, But when i open the hood for schanging the filter it was no filter there. Has it been taken away before i baught the car or did some of them come without oil filter ? Is it someone that know were to bay a filter adopter to that engine so i can use a modern oil filter not a element.
Old December 24th, 2014 | 08:05 AM

Yes, adding a modern remote spin-on filter is very easy. The engine is already set up for it. My '37 Olds L-37 257cid had an ancient FRAM remote filter that used filter cartridges. But, I poked a hole in it cleaning sludge out of canister housing. No amount of welding could fix it. It was really rusty. So I bought a modern remote spin-on unit. See photos. The first photo is the old one. The second is the modern spin-on. I would have tried to locate an original, but I use the car in long distance rallying. And now the oil is cleaner than ever.
Your 257cid should have places at the rear of the block for fittings for a remote oil filter. The remote spin-on unit should be available from Summit Racing or Lane Automotive. I was able to get mine from NAPA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0219.jpg (72.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0600.jpg (58.7 KB, 46 views)
Old December 25th, 2014 | 02:42 PM

oil filter

Originally Posted by twintracks
Yes, adding a modern remote spin-on filter is very easy. The engine is already set up for it. My '37 Olds L-37 257cid had an ancient FRAM remote filter that used filter cartridges. But, I poked a hole in it cleaning sludge out of canister housing. No amount of welding could fix it. It was really rusty. So I bought a modern remote spin-on unit. See photos. The first photo is the old one. The second is the modern spin-on. I would have tried to locate an original, but I use the car in long distance rallying. And now the oil is cleaner than ever.
Your 257cid should have places at the rear of the block for fittings for a remote oil filter. The remote spin-on unit should be available from Summit Racing or Lane Automotive. I was able to get mine from NAPA.
Thank for the answer and fine pictures it is just like that i was thinking to do with my car. But where on the engine is the oil taken out ond where is it going back. On my engine it is no chance to see where the original oil line was going before. It is blind skrew on every plase i can think it will be possible to take oil line to the filter
Old December 26th, 2014 | 06:06 AM

Since your block is ten years newer than mine, it might be different than the '37 Eight.
You'll have to take the screw caps off one at a time, and see which ones squirt oil. You will need one that squirts oil to be the supply line, and one that does not, to be the return line. The fittings from the kit should screw right into those places.