Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

My Olds has arrived

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2015, 09:07 AM

My Olds has arrived

Hi Guys, finally my 53 has arrived, and if i'm honest it's in a worse state than I thought, the guy said that while it was in storage the Mice had got in and ate a hole in the roof lining, he didn't mention that they had made nests in the seats the glove box and even filled the front door posts where the lower hinges attach with sound insulation that they where dragging out of the roof to make nests in there too....on top of all that the interior stinks of **** and is filled with mouse ****.

I removed the seat covers that had been on since the 60's, and thankfully that helped protect the seats from the worst of it, unfortunately though they ate a hole in one of the seat backs in the rear.

The engine and firewall is covered in black oil like the filler cap had blown off at some point maybe, I cant get her started either, although I want to change the oil and filter and put new plugs etc before doing any damage....all in all i'm still happy just a bit daunted by the amount of work it's going to need just to get it drivable and clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_57 (2).JPG (209.0 KB, 91 views)
$_57gtg.JPG (210.6 KB, 85 views)
IMG_20151116_143256.jpg (2.78 MB, 94 views)
jmu.JPG (378.6 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Eightbanger; November 17th, 2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old November 17th, 2015, 09:56 AM

Put this in perspective. The car is over 60 years old. I don't know how much time it spent in your country but judging from the left hand drive it must have originated in the USA. Wherever it spent its prior years it looks remarkably good. Its in better shape than any project car I ever started.

I agree its yucky work to clean up after the mice and deodorize.

After you handle mice and cleaning up the engine compartment you can treat yourself by doing the necessary pre-startup after storage. Don't take any shortcuts no matter how tempting.
There is a lot of information out there on the proper way to do it.

Then get in and drive the heck out of it and enjoy the luxury. For sure you will get lots of looks and questions. When I was a kid the Olds 98s and Buick Roadmasters were great cars we could aspire to after years of climbing the business ladder or maybe creating your own company.
Jerry
Old November 17th, 2015, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the reassuring words Jerry, and driving the heck out it...I just can't wait.
I'm in the U.K and have just imported her from the states so she's starting a new life here.
Old November 17th, 2015, 10:59 AM

She does look to be in darn good shape, in reality. Yes there is a lot of work, but anything of value does not come easy. Think of the pride and satisfaction of being able to say, "I did it!"

Document eveyrthing with plenty of photos now,during and after. Have fun ...
Old November 17th, 2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks Dave.
Old November 17th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good luck with your car. It is always good to have another 50's car on here.
Old November 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM

Thank you mate...that's a gorgeous Olds you have, and a superb pic.
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Very nice ride and that's gotta be a eye catcher in the UK.
It only took two weeks of storage for the rats and mice to get into my car and destroy the carpet so it could have been in pristine shape before it was stored for shipment. It appears when things go bad they go bad in a hurry....Tedd
Old November 17th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Administrator

It doesn't take long at all for rodent damage. Hopefully you can get it corrected quickly and enjoy.
Old November 18th, 2015, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Very nice ride and that's gotta be a eye catcher in the UK.
It only took two weeks of storage for the rats and mice to get into my car and destroy the carpet so it could have been in pristine shape before it was stored for shipment. It appears when things go bad they go bad in a hurry....Tedd
Thats the annoying thing Tedd, it was in good shape but the guy I bought it off admitted that he hadn't really checked on the car in about 3yrs, prior to that he said it was fine. it's upsetting that after 60 yrs of remaining original and untouched the headlining will need to be replaced and the seats recovered and carpet replaced, so that complete originality is lost.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It doesn't take long at all for rodent damage. Hopefully you can get it corrected quickly and enjoy.
Very destructive little buggers Eric, and the stink they leave behind..man! On a positive note I washed my filthy pee stained seat belts and they came out pristine....
Old November 18th, 2015, 08:16 AM

Nigel, the body looks to be in good condition, as well as the chrome and stainless.It's a shame what mice can do to the interior in a very short time. Good luck. Larry
Old November 18th, 2015, 08:52 AM

I finally used a product called Resolve it's a powder material and it took the rat pee smell out of the car completely. I don't know if it's available in the UK but it sure worked well for me. I still will have to replace the carpet because of the holes but it will smell good till while I wait for the new carpet to come in....Tedd
Old November 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM

The car looks incredibly solid, metal-wise.

Maybe the mouse infestation is a blessing- the 60 yr old upholstery would smell funny at best. Now you will have the chance to make it all new and smell nice.

You should see what coons [raccoons] do to an interior.
Old November 18th, 2015, 03:50 PM

Nigel, the body looks to be in good condition, as well as the chrome and stainless.It's a shame what mice can do to the interior in a very short time. Good luck. Larry
Thanks Larry, the body isn't in bad condition overall but for a couple of rot through areas under the door sill covers at the rear doors.

I finally used a product called Resolve it's a powder material and it took the rat pee smell out of the car completely. I don't know if it's available in the UK but it sure worked well for me. I still will have to replace the carpet because of the holes but it will smell good till while I wait for the new carpet to come in....Tedd
Yeah I used a product called Shake & Vac which is a carpet deodoriser and freshener...it helped some. The carpet is pretty faded and tatty anyway, so like you Tedd, im in the market for a new one.

Originally Posted by Octania
The car looks incredibly solid, metal-wise.

Maybe the mouse infestation is a blessing- the 60 yr old upholstery would smell funny at best. Now you will have the chance to make it all new and smell nice.

You should see what coons [raccoons] do to an interior.
Your right, definitely the smell of old age too....I'd crap a brick if something like a Raccoon got into my ride,perish the thought... lol

Last edited by Eightbanger; November 18th, 2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:33 AM

Hi Nigel

Glad to see that were adding another 53 in Europe.
By looking at the pictures I see a very “untouched” car, check out the fuellines and the stickers on the water pump pulley

Work on a car like that gives me (and others?)a certain feeling and a respect to leave things as they are or restorethem in a gentle way…
I’ve been on my 53 for some time and if youneed support, just let me know.
Old November 19th, 2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Andreas.Johansson
Hi Nigel

Glad to see that were adding another 53 in Europe.
By looking at the pictures I see a very “untouched” car, check out the fuellines and the stickers on the water pump pulley

Work on a car like that gives me (and others?)a certain feeling and a respect to leave things as they are or restorethem in a gentle way…
I’ve been on my 53 for some time and if youneed support, just let me know.
Completely untouched Andreas, so much so it has been neglected, I took the PS door card off yesterday..what a job, I dont think it had ever been removed, it was untouched from the factory after all these years it was great, it connects me with an era and a country I love.

Old November 19th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Nigel,hopefully you have access to replacement carpet and upholstery,but if not, there's a company online (Original Auto Interiors) that Tedd in an above post just ordered new carpet for his '55 Olds convertible and he said it cost him $191 including shipping (in the U.S. Of course).They carry a full line of upholstery for most models and get great reviews. Larry
Old November 19th, 2015, 01:44 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Be sure to replace all the soft lines in the brake system and make sure said brake system is up to the task. Dont want to hurt her due to bad brakes! Cool ride! Consider a dual master cylinder conversion for safety.
Old November 19th, 2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Nigel,hopefully you have access to replacement carpet and upholstery,but if not, there's a company online (Original Auto Interiors) that Tedd in an above post just ordered new carpet for his '55 Olds convertible and he said it cost him $191 including shipping (in the U.S. Of course).They carry a full line of upholstery for most models and get great reviews. Larry
Thanks for the heads up Larry, Fusicks also stock carpet so I've ordered some sample along with a few more parts, but i'll check em out none the less.

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Be sure to replace all the soft lines in the brake system and make sure said brake system is up to the task. Dont want to hurt her due to bad brakes! Cool ride! Consider a dual master cylinder conversion for safety.
Thanks mate, got a complete new bake rebuild kit still in it's box ready to go in and the soft lines included, I'd like to know more about that dual master cylinder conversion you mention, also got all new gaskets and filters coming for the engine and tranny.
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:30 PM

I found out that most all the preformed or precut floor carpets are manufactured by one company and the prices vary tremendously from supplier to supplier so watch out you could pay as much as twice as much for the same carpet. If you do a google search you will find out by the wording just how many are the same. Most just copy their ad or parts of their ad from the manufacture and some don't know anything about the carpet or the model of cars they will fit or not fit. I used Automotive Interiors & Accessories. Probably not the cheapest but close and they knew Oldsmobile models and what would work and what would not work... Best of luck.... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; November 19th, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old November 19th, 2015, 04:42 PM

I found out that most all the preformed or precut floor carpets are manufactured by one company and the prices vary tremendously from supplier to supplier so watch out you could pay as much as twice as much for the same carpet. If you do a google search you will find out by the wording just how many are the same. Most just copy their ad or parts of their ad from the manufacture and some don't know anything about the carpet or the model of cars they will fit or not fit. I used Automotive Interiors & Accessories. Probably not the cheapest but close and they knew Oldsmobile models and what would work and what would not work... Best of luck.... Tedd

Cheers Tedd.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 03:38 AM

Hi Nigel, glad the car made it to the UK safely. Appart from the mice issues it still looks in great shape and a lovely car. I did have signs of mice living in mine but due to the extreme rot in the floors I'm guessing the mice fell out!

Mine wouldn't start either, the fuel pump was dead so I rigged something up, hooked up a battery, the dynamo and regulator started smoking so disconnected them, eventually got it to crank, wouldn't start, swapped out the rotor arm and it fired straight up. Needs a lot of work though!

Hopefully see you around at some point.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chris289
I did have signs of mice living in mine but due to the extreme rot in the floors I'm guessing the mice fell out.
LMAO Thanks Chris.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:07 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Thanks mate, got a complete new bake rebuild kit still in it's box ready to go in and the soft lines included, I'd like to know more about that dual master cylinder conversion you mention

The dual master cylinder updates the OEM single circuit system so you have some added safety in case one circuit blows a hose the other will allow you to stop safely. These guys here can assist which ones fit. Im not as well versed on the 50s. Im sure someone sells a upgrade kit with the necessary hardware such as a proportioning valve.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
The dual master cylinder updates the OEM single circuit system so you have some added safety in case one circuit blows a hose the other will allow you to stop safely. These guys here can assist which ones fit. Im not as well versed on the 50s. Im sure someone sells a upgrade kit with the necessary hardware such as a proportioning valve.
Sounds good...Cheers for that DR.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM

There is no direct bolt on duel master upgrade for these early cars. A lot of work and fabrication is required to convert them. A fully re-built and replaced hydraulic system that's regularly maintained should be fine. That's what I plan on running with mine.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 04:42 PM

X2 on the statement by Chris.No direct bolt on and extensive alterations.Go with a professionally rebuilt unit, or order kit and rebuild it yourself but replace wheel cylinders ,and totally check all aspects of the brake system, and you will be fine.Hey, mine was rebuilt once in 58 years ,and stops great now. Larry
Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:41 AM

Cheers guys.