Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2014, 11:13 PM

Great site

I have a 48 olds convertible series 66, straight 8 pretty much all original and stock except for a few things. I have drove it locally since I have had it about 7 years ago. The running gear is pretty tired. I live in Twain Harte, CA (close to Yosemite Natl park). My name is Dar.
Thanks for all your hard work here. Its a great site and thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1914215041.jpg (100.2 KB, 56 views)
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:06 AM

1948 60 series convertible

Originally Posted by slotrucker
I have a 48 olds convertible series 66, straight 8 pretty much all original and stock except for a few things. I have drove it locally since I have had it about 7 years ago. The running gear is pretty tired. I live in Twain Harte, CA (close to Yosemite Natl park). My name is Dar.
Thanks for all your hard work here. Its a great site and thread.

Hi Dar and welcome to CO and the 46-48 thread. Keep checking in and send some more views of your convertible and what your future plans are for it. We all like pictures.

I think there are now four 46-48 convertibles that have checked in on this thread. I will have to go back and check past posts in this thread. Anyway its good to have another 40s Olds and being a convertible is a bonus.
Jerry
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM

Welcome to CO

Great to have another fat fender Olds on the Forum. Nice drop top
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible

If that is not convenient I could use backing plate to backing plate plus a measure of the thickness of the hub and get close enough.

I see the link has something called 'tread width' and says its 61.5 in. but I don't know what the reference point for tread width is, i.e., center of tread on tire, outside edge etc.
Thanks a lot for your offer of help,
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Sorry for taking so long. It looks like drum to drum on the outer lip is right at 63", from there, estimating the wheel mounting surface looks to be real close to 63 1/2".

Will that work for you, or would you like a different measurement?

Cheers,
Glen
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM

Hi Glen,
That is perfect. Thank you for taking the time and effort to measure. The width on the 67 GTO rear end now in the car is 60.5 inches so pretty close to stock.
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:26 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301326543700?item=301326543700&viewitem=&sspagenam e=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr"]http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/301326543700?item=301326543700&viewitem=&sspagenam e=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr[/URL]
Anyone know if these will fit a 1947 Dynamic 76?
Old September 26th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Fender skirts again

Originally Posted by silvrnblk1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301326543700?item=301326543700&viewitem=&sspagenam e=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr"]http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/301326543700?item=301326543700&viewitem=&sspagenam e=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr[/URL]
Anyone know if these will fit a 1947 Dynamic 76?
__________________________________________________ _____

Difficult to say what fits what without knowing the numbers.

A polite reminder to all. This is getting to be a good size thread. So search the thread as your question may already have been answered. In this case a search for "fender skirts" would have turned up:

"These numbers show up in my 1948 Master Chassis Parts Book as being fender panels (skirts)
42-48 60 series 416388 RH, 416389 LH
42-48 70 series 416392 RH, 416393 LH
46-47 98 series 418646 RH, 418647 LH
1941 96 & 98 series 419532 RH, 415349 LH"

Ask the ebay seller to find the numbers on the skirts and see if they match up with any of the above. The caveat is that sometimes during production the numbers get changed for reasons I don't understand.
Jerry
Old September 26th, 2014, 09:13 PM

Lets see some pics of wheels you run on 46-48

I'm looking for some inspiration trying to decide what kind of modified wheels and tires will fit, hold up under the modified 461 and look good.
Please post some pics of your wheel/tire combo along with particulars on size
Thanks.
Jerry
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:03 PM

46-48 headlight buckets and tail lights in CO Classifieds

Just posted in the Classifieds Oldsmobile parts for sale, details and photos in the ads:
Set of 41-48 restored headlight buckets.
One driver side 1948 tail light which is complete and in excellent shape
One set of 46-48 tail lights, one side complete, other needs wiring & clamp

I will leave these exclusive to CO members for a week or so but if they don't move I will reluctantly put them on ebay
Old November 13th, 2014, 01:54 PM

Hey guys,can anybody tell me if the 41- 238 flathead six had a thermostat in it ordid you just put cardboard in front of the radiator.i'm not gettting any heat from the engine.
Old November 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM

thermostat in 41 olds?

Originally Posted by flyray
Hey guys,can anybody tell me if the 41- 238 flathead six had a thermostat in it ordid you just put cardboard in front of the radiator.i'm not gettting any heat from the engine.

If you are not getting heat there is probably no thermostat in there. I'd suggest a 160 to 170 degree thermostat. With that you shouldn't require cardboard in front of the radiator. Its too easy to forget its there and have it overheat when a cold snap passes.
Photo is of a 41 Olds 6 cyl. You can see the T-stat housing where the upper hose connects.
Jerry
Attached Images
41 olds engine.jpg (51.5 KB, 41 views)
Old November 13th, 2014, 02:53 PM

Thanks 47. That helps alot.went to my local orielly auto parts,they claim they have no part numbers for a thermostat.thats the reason for my question.would you by change know the number of the part?
Old November 13th, 2014, 04:02 PM

1941 Thermostat Query

Originally Posted by flyray
Thanks 47. That helps alot.went to my local orielly auto parts,they claim they have no part numbers for a thermostat.thats the reason for my question.would you by change know the number of the part?
Well most counter people can't find their *** with their own hands unless it is in the computer and they don't want to dig out the paper catalogs so will just put you off and say it doesn't exist. Hell, a lot of them are so young and uninformed they hardly know what an Oldsmobile is since they are not made anymore. Enough of my rant.

My 1948 parts book says 39-48 thermostats are the same for all engines but they differentiate between thermostats meant for use with alcohol based anti-freeze and thermostats made for use with 'permanent' anti-freeze. You want the latter of course.

Another source says Olds used the same thermostat from 1941 to 1956. I don't have a lot of confidence in that information but it might be worth checking out.

Also my parts book shows a thermostat retainer piece in addition to a thermostat inside the thermostat housing. Yours should have that piece unless it has been eaten away by corrosion. Might be a thermostat would fit without it but if it won't I'd check a 1948 thermostat housing and use that since Olds dropped the retainer piece after 1947.

I will do an add-on to this if either NAPA or Stant gets the information to me.
You might look on eBay but be careful as a lot of people know even less than the O'Reillys counter person and will tell you something fits when it doesn't then you are stuck.

I am checking with the local NAPA store to see if they can find a part number and I've put in an inquiry to Stant via their message service on their Internet site but they have not responded.
Old November 13th, 2014, 04:34 PM

Add on to earlier reply: Look on ebay. Several t-stats that may fit and a couple of the retainer pieces. You will have to search for both "Olds" and Oldsmobile and may have to search for 1947 as well as 1941. but the t-stats should be the same. I think there are also t-stat gaskets for the housing too. Try to find the newer type with pop-up instead of flapper valve and either 180 or 160 deg. open. There is one for 190 deg. open but I think that is too hot to leave in for summer. Good luck with your search.
Jerry
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks so much Jerry,you are right ,took the top radiator hose off there is no thermostat.put it back on used a piece of cardboard in front of radiator,heated up like a champ.great heat from heater inside the car too.I agree with you completely on the idiots behind the counter of all parts xtores now! There is no common sense in the workplace anymore,if its not in the computer it doesn,t exist. Too bad they dont speak english either. Sorry thats my rant.thanks again for your help.i'm using the 41 in the local christmas perade this year,don't feel like freezing in my own car.
Old November 15th, 2014, 03:09 PM

Its Alive! Initial run-in of rebuilt 461 in my '47

A darn nervous morning as it was the day to fire up and run in the modified 461 Olds in my 47 convertible. My friend and first class gearhead mechanic, Kevin was there to help do the honors.

After some initial trial start-ups it just wasn't firing more than about 1 or 2 sec and then would die. We double checked all the timing a couple of times, tried moving one tooth each way then went back to the original setting, did the thumb test to make sure we were on tdc and just on a hunch poured in a little gas even though we were sure it was getting some gas as it was running for a second or so. That seemed to do the trick but we were so intent and busy getting it up to 2000 rpm and pouring additional ATF into the rebuilt 700R4 that I missed the actual crank and firing.

I got the video going about 2 minutes into the run. At 18 minutes it started overheating (212+) and at 19 minutes was even warmer so we turned the engine off just a minute shy of the 20 minute recommended run-in for flat tappet cams. Steam and boiling water was coming out the overflow tube. I figure there must have been an air pocket somewhere in the coolant system. It held 60 lb. oil pressure the whole time.

Tomorrow I will drain oil and change filter and Monday evening Kevin will be over again and we will start up and do the fine tuning, check shifting adjustments, bleed brakes etc. All in All a good if nervous day.
ps. we were just running the old cast iron manifold with no other exhaust so it was not only nervous time but darn loud. I'm happy.
Jerry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk5a...ature=youtu.be
Old November 16th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Congrats on the successful start up Jerry. Your light years ahead of me
Old November 22nd, 2014, 06:20 PM

Add 1 more

Seems as if most of the late 40s Olds are west of the rockies. Mine is in Pa. Have owned it since 1971. Has been in my family since new. Its a 1947 68 convert. My grandfather bought it new and I remember riding in when I was young. Was given to me many years ago by my aunt because it was getting to be too much for her to handle maint wise.
Did a mechanical rebuild back in the 80s. The straight 8 and auto. work fine but started to do body work by removing fenders. Now sits in my garage with stuff piled around it just begging to be put back together. Still have all the original body parts but still waiting for the time to do it.
Great to see there are others with projects like mine.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 08:09 PM

Well now there are two oldsmobiles east of the mississipi river,yours and mine.i'm in tennessee,just south of nashville.i'm third owner of my 41 series 76. Flathead six with hydramatic.runs like a sewing machine.if you like in the newbie forum i posted pictures of mine.needs new paint and body rust starting to pop though,but overall in good shape.hope you get yours back on the road soon.this old classics need to be seen.it has been said never forget where you came from.i beleive our oldsmobiles are reminders of that.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:42 PM

Photos please. We like photos a lot! even if it is sitting there for now waiting patiently.
I see this post #1 for you so welcome to Classic Oldsmobile and this thread. I hope you stay with us and keep posting.
I'd be particularly interested to know if yours has a brace running under the hood from the drivers side cowl to passenger side either at or near the core support. I've seen some 40s Oldsmobiles that do and many that don't. Maybe it is the larger Olds' that have that?
Re. your observation there are fewer 40s Oldsmobiles east of the Rockies: I think it has to do with drier weather, and generally using sand on slick roads instead of salt.
Jerry
ps. I think this is now five 46-48 convertibles that have been introduced through this thread. Pretty darn good for such a rare model.

Last edited by 47 Convertible; November 22nd, 2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: ps
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:54 PM

Brace?

Yes, mine does have that brace. Runs from the drivers side cowl to the RS radiator brace just as you described. Just a long black hollow steel rod aprox 3/4 in thick. I will post pics. when I can.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM

Greyhound, Thanks for the reply on the brace. I wonder if it was factory assembly or dealer repair or...? Not all Oldsmobiles I've seen had them but its possible they were taken off at some point in the car's life. Seems like the purpose must have been to stiffen the front clip?
Jerry
Old December 11th, 2014, 12:28 AM

Need Parking Light gaskets for 46-48 (except 48, 98)

I can't find anyone who reproduces these. The Olds parts book shows a gasket between the light bucket and the lens.

Anyone with one of these cars know of a source for this gasket? or have a spare set they'd be wiling to sell?

If none for sale, It would be appreciated if anyone could provide measurements including thickness. I could fabricate a decent set.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry
Old December 12th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Jerry,

Are you talking about the parking lights that are in the bumper guards? I have a couple of NOS in my stash. I will look and see if they come with the gaskets and if so will take a picture. Maybe Its something that could be made if it is flat

Pat
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:03 AM

Gasket, Front Parking Light, 46-48

Originally Posted by citcapp
Jerry,

Are you talking about the parking lights that are in the bumper guards? I have a couple of NOS in my stash. I will look and see if they come with the gaskets and if so will take a picture. Maybe Its something that could be made if it is flat

Pat
Hi Pat, yes, the gasket for the front parking light that is in the bumper guard. See the photo I attached that shows part in catalog. The gasket fits around the inside edge the lamp housing. Thanks for responding.
Jerry
Attached Images
47 parking light 001.jpg (61.1 KB, 33 views)
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:36 PM

Hood springs

Here is my 1951 olds 98. It was a 4 door, now a 2 door. Can anyone tell me where I can get hood springs? Or what can I use from another year and make?
Attached Images
image.jpg (60.6 KB, 38 views)
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM

James ,concerning your hood springs ,you might run a ad in the classified section under "Parts Wanted" on this site.maybe someone has a parts car. I looked for a set for my '55 for 2 Years and finally found them On EBAY. Larry
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Hood hinges

Originally Posted by James2884
Here is my 1951 olds 98. It was a 4 door, now a 2 door. Can anyone tell me where I can get hood springs? Or what can I use from another year and make?
1950 olds 98 should work same body style just different trim
Old December 17th, 2014, 05:37 PM

James, There's a pair of hinges on EBAY today listed for 1951 Pontiac.May be the same springs and they are only $20. Check it out! Says they fit 49- 52 Olds. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; December 17th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Hood Springs for '51 98

Originally Posted by James2884

I've been down this road with other cars with similar hoods. You really need NOS to be sure they will function as intended. Used springs are almost always worn out or practically so and won't hold the hood at the proper height. They are 60 years old and have probably been cycled hundreds if not thousands of times..

Since the car is obviously modified why not just have the hinges re-riveted so they will keep their designed arc, forget the coil springs and use gas struts instead? It is not too difficult to figure out mounting geometry. Study some of the newer cars where the factory has used gas struts instead of coils.

It is a great looking car and the color is perfect for it. Have you posted on the build before and I missed it? It would be interesting to see the list of modifications.
Jerry
Old January 5th, 2015, 07:20 PM

1948 Olds
Craigslist 1/2015
Champaign IL area - Mattoon IL
$5500

http://mattoon.craigslist.org/cto/4827295605.html

1948 oldsmobile street rod project sale or trade - $5500 (Mattoon)

I have a 48 olds street rod project. Has nova front and rear end. New rear springs, column mounted, brake pedal, booster mounted. Have new column shift linkage. New alum radiator, stainless shroud.at least 2 grilles. Have all fenders and bumpers, last license plate from Kansas 1964. Newport engineering wiper motor, choose of motors, lots of new and original parts. Wiring kit, gas tank tank cleaned and coated. Nos deck lid. 2 hood ornaments. Have all trim, have bucket seats, no back seat.floors are great, body is straight. $5500 or trade. Prefer 58 Chevy hardtop or post, or whatever. Great project for someone to finish, I need the room and I don't have the time. Call before 9 pm. Don't have paypal account so no scam. Don't need help selling. having trouble getting pictures uploaded, but I could try to send if interested.

"reply" button gets me no useful info tonite
maybe you fare better?
Old January 5th, 2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
1948 Olds
Craigslist 1/2015
Champaign IL area - Mattoon IL
$5500

http://mattoon.craigslist.org/cto/4827295605.html

1948 oldsmobile street rod project sale or trade - $5500 (Mattoon)

I have a 48 olds street rod project. Has nova front and rear end. New rear springs, column mounted, brake pedal, booster mounted. Have new column shift linkage. New alum radiator, stainless shroud.at least 2 grilles. Have all fenders and bumpers, last license plate from Kansas 1964. Newport engineering wiper motor, choose of motors, lots of new and original parts. Wiring kit, gas tank tank cleaned and coated. Nos deck lid. 2 hood ornaments. Have all trim, have bucket seats, no back seat.floors are great, body is straight. $5500 or trade. Prefer 58 Chevy hardtop or post, or whatever. Great project for someone to finish, I need the room and I don't have the time. Call before 9 pm. Don't have paypal account so no scam. Don't need help selling. having trouble getting pictures uploaded, but I could try to send if interested.

"reply" button gets me no useful info tonite
maybe you fare better?
Hello, I am actually in the US for a couple of months, can you sell a hood ornament to me? do you have pictures?
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:07 PM

Manuel, try contacting the craigs list advertisement directly and see if you get a response.
Jerry
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:18 AM

This might be the wrong place for this , so I'm sorry in advance... Just didn't see any place for a 1949 olds 88.

Over the past weekend we pulled a car from the wood. We Have started to piece together her story.

After some research we have found the following information
We know it is a 1949 club coupe deluxe "88"
We know it has some crazy cut up hood
And we know it has a cool looking rocket motor

If 1949's go in another place please let me know and I'll move it . Thanks
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM

Welcome to CO from the left coast

We have another 49'er here too. So welcome aboard and ask any questions and we will try to help you with answers
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:30 PM

Pictures please. A lot of us need our photo fix. We wanna see your find and hear more about how you found it etc.
Jerry
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:26 PM

I'm working on the picture thing, sorry .... Not real good on some of the computer stuff

The car was pulled from a "holler" here in Indiana and was headed to the scrap yard. So we ended up doing some horse trading and she came with us.
She has a crazy hood that has been cut on both sides which I'm still trying to fix out why someone would cut the hood. Maybe a start to gasser, I'm not sure. Has a complete rocket engine, which is just cool to look at. An interesting thing we noticed today is that out of all my cars this is the only one that has coil springs one all 4 corners, just seems crazy on 1949 car. I enjoy the storys that these old cars can tell. They are like time machines
Old January 7th, 2015, 01:24 PM

"She has a crazy hood that has been cut on both sides which I'm still trying to fix out why someone would cut the hood."

Post pictures of the hood. Some car dealers received hoods with cut outs and plexiglass inserts for show room use to show off the Rocket engine. You might have one of these with the plexiglass removed
Old January 7th, 2015, 01:47 PM

Would it be possible for someone to post a few of my pics. I can't seem to get then sized right. If so please shoot me a pm and I'll send them right over. In the mean while I'll keep trying

Thanks
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:56 PM

Thanks to the help from a member on here.....
Here are pics
Attached Images

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?