Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2014, 01:09 PM
48Olds78

Searching for Parts for 1947 Series 78 4-door Olds

I've already received good information from folks on this vintage forum. Thought I was a lone stranger in the 4X Olds area.

I keep trying to add pictures by going through the attach function but they don't show up in my threads-I did get some advice so hopefully pix will be in soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (58.0 KB, 31 views)
Old March 15th, 2014, 09:01 AM

"roberer", judging from your initial pix, I would say that your car is a good starting point to build on..
In the two years that I have been on this forum, I have found it to be one of the most friendly car forums that I frequent. One of the things I like is that questions about modifications to a Classic Olds are not met with smart a** remarks to take my business to the HAMB or something similar....
It just might be that Oldsmobile owners have always been more performance minded.. Bill
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:14 AM

hello again, its been a while since I have been here. I'm still working on my 1948 olds 2-door model 66. the next thing is to replace a cracked passenger door glass. I have the replacement glass. mabey some of you have experience doing this, and can give me a few pointers to replace the glass. thanks jim-bo
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:18 AM

door glass removal

Originally Posted by jim-bo
hello again, its been a while since I have been here. I'm still working on my 1948 olds 2-door model 66. the next thing is to replace a cracked passenger door glass. I have the replacement glass. mabey some of you have experience doing this, and can give me a few pointers to replace the glass. thanks jim-bo

About the only thing I can tell you is that the glass comes out with the bottom support attached. My convertible came with door glass out and the bottom support pieces still on the glass. You have to figure out how to separate that support from the lift mechanism. run the window up and down until you see where the attachment points are and how to reach them. A lot of trial and error and retrying involved I think.

On other older cars I've had the glass, when loose from the lift mechanism, comes out the open panel at the bottom but it is always a case of a tight fit and glass having to tilt a certain way to make it out the opening. Usually a lot of wiggling and again, trial and error involved.

Once out you will see the glass fits in the bottom support with a piece of rubber sandwiched between glass and metal support. It requires some effort to separate and it requires some careful pressure to get the new glass in that bottom support. A little diluted dish washing liquid might help with that.

While glass is out is a good time to lube the lift mechanism with some grease sparingly applied, maybe new rollers on it plus new glass channel. On most old cars the fabric in the channel is really worn down. Don't forget the pieces that go in the horizontal window opening. Time to do that is while the window is out.
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the information, at least now I know a lot more about it than I did yesterday. yes this will be a new learing process. thanks again --- jim-bo
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Phantom Phixer

Try the fisher body manual, should tell you what you need to know.
There's one here;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-19...4fdcfd&vxp=mtr
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:13 AM

hello again, I need a front door window crank handle for my 1948 olds model 66, 2 door. mabey one of you has a extra one you could part with. thanks --- jim-bo
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:34 PM

Newbie new purchase

Hey guysI just purchased a '48 66 project on a whim. I get it next week. Its got a never run rebuilt motor. Doesn't seem to be seriously rusted but I haven't really gone over it. Like I said, whim. Had to act on it fast cuz the guy was going to haul it to a flea market in Charlotte, NC. keeping it stock. I know nothing about these cars. Any help would be appreciated. tis
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by bobmobile
Hey guysI just purchased a '48 66 project on a whim. I get it next week. Its got a never run rebuilt motor. Doesn't seem to be seriously rusted but I haven't really gone over it. Like I said, whim. Had to act on it fast cuz the guy was going to haul it to a flea market in Charlotte, NC. keeping it stock. I know nothing about these cars. Any help would be appreciated. tis
Lest I forget to mention, We like pictures so show off your new find with some pictures of it. It is pretty easy to post. Just go down below the post window to the "additional options" window and select "manage attachments", select photos and it will open a browse window where you can select your pictures file(s). You can only pick one at a time with maximum of 5 (?) and max size is limited. Parts for the 40s are not easy to find and very few reproduction parts made but that is the challenge to restoration. It wouldn't be much fun if you could just get on a phone or computer and order whatever you want like the Mustang or tri-five chevy guys
This thread is the best place for information on the 40s but there are other specialty areas for paint, upholstery, mechanicals, electric etc. on CO.
Jerry
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Newbie new purchase

Hey thanks for the response. This is a 2 door fastback. Just from the brief look over that I did, at the very least it needs a trunk lid or the stiffener piece, hubcaps, rear shocks, driver window glass and who knows what else. I'll try to attach pics. Any other comments and help is much appreciated.
Attached Images
IMG_0825.jpg (82.2 KB, 27 views)
IMG_0828.jpg (89.2 KB, 24 views)
IMG_0830.jpg (80.4 KB, 22 views)
Old April 25th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Hi bobmobile, welcome to the Olds Forum. I would surmise that you'll tell us what body style you have in your next contribution to the this tread.. To quote Jerry, "we like pictures".. As the old saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words..
The Oldsmobiles of the '40's-50's, as are many of the "other GM cars", can be a challenge to restore and/or rebuild, body parts can be hard to come by. The one saving grace is that GM used many body parts across the whole GM line.. Body panels, and some trim pieces will work on any GM car.
Be very careful removing parts, don't make the common mistake of discarding parts because you think you can go down to the local NAPA store and buy new parts.. You will have to search out the firms that deal in Olds parts..
A word or two about power train options.. The Olds flat head engines were great engines in their day.. In this day and age they can be a problem to rebuild, not impossible, just cost more than a belly-button engine... SBC.. During the last several years the common trend is to repower everything with a Chevy engine.. Yes they are cheap an plentiful, however, an Olds should be repowered with an Olds.. Oldsmobile made a lot of very good modern engines.. The 403's of the mid 70's are great engines, coupled with a 200R4 trans they make great reliable cars that can be driven anywhere..
Do some home work before you jump in and start taking the thing apart... Bill
Looks like our contributions to the tread crossed paths... So it's a 2dr fst back.. A very similar car to my '49.. You might want to read my topic about the restoration of my 49 Olds 88 2dr club sedan..

Last edited by blucar; April 25th, 2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old April 25th, 2014, 08:39 AM

Hey blucar thanks for the comments. As stated in my first post, the engine was rebuilt but never run, so I will probably go with that. Plus I can't really go for more expense and Im not versed in adapting bigger motors and what not. But hey, Im willing to hear about if it is difficult to do. I'd rather have an 8. As to throwing stuff away...I'm a car guy. My wife probably thinks I'm a small time hoarder. What do you think about finding a trunk lid?
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by bobmobile
Hey blucar thanks for the comments. As stated in my first post, the engine was rebuilt but never run, so I will probably go with that. Plus I can't really go for more expense and Im not versed in adapting bigger motors and what not. But hey, Im willing to hear about if it is difficult to do. I'd rather have an 8. As to throwing stuff away...I'm a car guy. My wife probably thinks I'm a small time hoarder. What do you think about finding a trunk lid?
To start with, where are you located? I travel the western US quite often, visiting friends and looking for old car and parts... I'll keep my eyes pealed for a deck lid.. I think you will need one from an Olds or Pontiac, a '42-48 Chevy fst bck deck lid is different..
You mentioned shocks.. The original shocks are the lever type hydraulic. This type of shock is rebuildable, it is advisable to rebuild the originals in lieu of trying to convert them to tube type.. The rear coil spring suspension on the Olds, gets messed up if you try to clabber tube shocks into the system..
If you should consider repowering the car with a later power train keep your eyes pealed for a car that has a decent V8 and AT, something in the mid to late '70's.. Not some rabbadaba 442, etc., just a plain ole sedan that mom and pop drove to the store..
Most Olds guys want the 455's if they are going to repower a car.. Something about the CID's of an engine and male virility, going hand in hand.. Bill

Last edited by blucar; April 25th, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:24 AM

hi Im Rich live in southern California I have a 47 66 just got this past summer I found a 47 straight 8 for it in albaqirqie New Mexico that was a cool great fast weekend trip with my son to go get the engine
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:31 AM

newbie new purchase

I'm in Norfolk, Va.
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:04 PM

I am almost finished with my 48 olds 2-door model 66 except for painting. thanks every one for all the advice. it's been a long but great process to bring back to life another hot rod. here are the latest pictures. thanks jim-bo
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:04 PM

I like it!

Originally Posted by jim-bo
I am almost finished with my 48 olds 2-door model 66 except for painting. thanks every one for all the advice. it's been a long but great process to bring back to life another hot rod. here are the latest pictures. thanks jim-bo
__________________________________________________ _________

There is a lot to like about your 48 starting with the very nice grille. I have grille envy when I look at it The body looks straight too. Too bad the front bumpers on the 40s Olds were so clunky looking. I did see a nice one that looked right that was pieced together with two 47 Chevy front bumpers --probably easier to find than Olds bumpers too. The tail lights look good to my eye as well. A nice clean install of the SBC in the engine compartment and the two tone paint job works well to keep the car from looking overly large. Just my nickel's worth.
Jerry
ps. I did notice the leaded-in rear fenders. That's a major piece of work and looks well done.

Last edited by 47 Convertible; April 25th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old April 26th, 2014, 04:47 AM

Thanks for the comments, I do have a 5 ribbed front bumper I will install after the bottom half of the car is painted, and also other goodies. now to find a good painter.
jim-bo
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Looks great Jim-bo
Old April 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Hi Gang, Fun read, and great cars!
Do any of you have a couple of standard pistons for a 257 Straight Eight lying around? New or used, rings not needed. It's for a rush repair job, and I cannot wait for Egge to machine or cast them. Nothing on eBay for an Eight.
PLMK.
Thanks, Jerry
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:52 PM

New 47 olds

Hey everyone, Just this last weekend my wife and I became owners of a '47 olds 4 door dynamic. It needs some help but I thing we can do it. It has some problems with dr side floor, no interior but dash and motor stuck. Good thing body straight (only 4 small dents), all chrome and clear title. Was wondering if someone could help me with tags. Small one - 76K 468. Large one - Style No. 47-3609, Body No. BK378, Trim No. 3, Paint No. 52. Any help would be great. Thanks, Kurt.
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:32 AM

Limited information about your 1947

Originally Posted by spike6970
Hey everyone, Just this last weekend my wife and I became owners of a '47 olds 4 door dynamic. It needs some help but I thing we can do it. It has some problems with dr side floor, no interior but dash and motor stuck. Good thing body straight (only 4 small dents), all chrome and clear title. Was wondering if someone could help me with tags. Small one - 76K 468. Large one - Style No. 47-3609, Body No. BK378, Trim No. 3, Paint No. 52. Any help would be great. Thanks, Kurt.
Big tag: style 47 3609 denotes 70 series (intermediate size) 4 dr. sedan. That same 47 3609 covers both 76 ( 6 cyl.) and 78 series (8 cyl.) Oldsmobile apparently referred to the 70 series cars as "Dynamic" while smaller 60 series were "Special" and the largest, 98 series, were "Custom Cruiser.

My parts book doesn't have any information regarding the other numbers on your tags. My guess is the 76K maybe refers to a six cylinder, 70 series but I have no idea what the 468 is. Wish I had more data for you.
Jerry
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by spike6970
Hello Kurt,
Are you sure the paint no is 52? I cannot find it in my color chip
Old April 28th, 2014, 06:36 AM

Thank you 47 convertible and manuelte. I double checked paint tag number. Yes, its 52. The firewall/door edges look purple. The paint that is on the fenders looks almost a salmon color. Wife and I got a new camera, I will send pictures.
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:08 PM

Gas filler door spring 46-48

Need spring (springs?) for gas filler door for my 47.
Anyone have a picture of them, have a spare they'd sell or know where to find them? I looked on Fusicks but couldn't find a listing for them.
Thanks for any help,
Jerry
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM
48Olds78

Originally Posted by blucar
To start with, where are you located? I travel the western US quite often, visiting friends and looking for old car and parts... I'll keep my eyes pealed for a deck lid.. I think you will need one from an Olds or Pontiac, a '42-48 Chevy fst bck deck lid is different..
You mentioned shocks.. The original shocks are the lever type hydraulic. This type of shock is rebuildable, it is advisable to rebuild the originals in lieu of trying to convert them to tube type.. The rear coil spring suspension on the Olds, gets messed up if you try to clabber tube shocks into the system..
If you should consider repowering the car with a later power train keep your eyes pealed for a car that has a decent V8 and AT, something in the mid to late '70's.. Not some rabbadaba 442, etc., just a plain ole sedan that mom and pop drove to the store..
Most Olds guys want the 455's if they are going to repower a car.. Something about the CID's of an engine and male virility, going hand in hand.. Bill
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:54 PM
48Olds78

I have a trunk lid from a 1948 78 4-door sedan. It needs repair; one big dent in left rear section and some rust along the bottom edge-I can send some pictures. $75 plus shipping from Albuquerque, NM??
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM

Need a photo of spring on gas filler door on 46-48

What the subject says:
I am looking for a spring or at least a picture so I can go hunting the correct type spring for the gas filler door on the rear fender.d My parts book gives no illustration. Any help incl. your picture of what's on your gas filler door much appreciated.
Jerry
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:09 PM
48Olds78

Jerry,
I'm missing that same spring. Sorry. How about Fusick?
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:36 PM

gas filler door spring 46-48

Originally Posted by roberer
Jerry,
I'm missing that same spring. Sorry. How about Fusick?

I can't picture what a spring that would hold the door both closed and open would look like and no Olds of this vintage for parts or in vintage wrecking yards around here.

Someone subscribed to this thread has to have a spring on their gas filler door and a digital camera ????
Jerry
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Here ya go.
Attached Images
P1060859.JPG (169.0 KB, 32 views)
P1060860.JPG (180.5 KB, 26 views)
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM

Talking Thanks Mike

Originally Posted by MontanaMike
Here ya go.
__________________________________________________ _____

Many thanks Mike. This is the next best thing to having them. At least now I can hit a couple of major hardware stores in the area or specialty spring places.

You must be as much night owl as I am. Its gotta be after midnight in Montana.

Jerry
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Gas door spring

I'm going on a road trip to Montana, through Nevada and Idaho on Tuesday, I'll keep my eyes open for a gas door spring..
I have a couple of Pontiacs and a Chevy or two up at my daughters farm in Montana that I'm parting out, one of them might have the spring you need.
I'll check the gas door on my '49 88 today to see if the spring is similar to the earlier cars.... Bill
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Bill,
These are on eBay. Too expensive! But, '49's look like this. I think they are a little different, but they might work.
Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1948-194...#ht_330wt_1121
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

46-48 Gas Door Springs

Originally Posted by blucar
I'm going on a road trip to Montana, through Nevada and Idaho on Tuesday, I'll keep my eyes open for a gas door spring..
I have a couple of Pontiacs and a Chevy or two up at my daughters farm in Montana that I'm parting out, one of them might have the spring you need.
I'll check the gas door on my '49 88 today to see if the spring is similar to the earlier cars.... Bill
Bill it sounds like at least two sets are needed. When you find out if the MT. springs look like a fit PM me please. I'll commit to at least one set at an aoppropriate price (i.e., less than the ebay price) and it sounds like roberer needs a set too.
Jerry
ps. Mike it right that the ebay price is too high but if you hadn't stepped up I might have been tempted.
Jerry
Old May 10th, 2014, 07:52 PM

I am missing the same springs. Must have been a common problem.
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:51 PM

Bill may need a trailer to haul gas door springs from MT.

Originally Posted by citcapp
I am missing the same springs. Must have been a common problem.

Why not drop Bill a note and ask him to look for you also while he is on his road trip? If he gets enough orders he may need a U-Haul trailer
Jerry
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:27 AM

I will most likely fill in mine and install the gas fill inside the trunk with an outside vent. Because of my tubbed fenders I have to fit a custom tank anyway.
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:32 AM

hey roberer if your offer for the trunk lid was for me i appreciate the offer but i think I'm going to try to repair mine. if i change my mind i'll let you know. tks
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Follow Up on Gas Door Springs 41-48 Oldsmobiles

There is more information on those elusive springs for the fuel filler door on the rear fender of our 40's Oldsmobiles. Springs for 41-48 are available. See below for details and exceptions for 1948 98 Series

According to my reproduction Chassis Parts Catalog for 1948 Oldsmobiles --which goes back to about 1940-- there are three different sets of Springs. Note, there is a left and right spring on each fuel filler door.
1940 90 Series: Part # 1304620 right, and 1304621 left
1941-48 All except '48 98 Series: Part #415250 Right, 410251 Left
1948 98 Series (the springs are labeled front and rear rather than left or right). #555372 front, #555373 rear

Montana Mike found that usapartssupply.com can get them. I just got an email that Jay at that company is ordering 3 sets. If anyone wants them besides myself and Bill you should contact them or take a chance that blucar might have found some on his swing through MT and ID this week.
Jerry

Quick Reply: 1946 1947 and 1948 How many own them?