Transmission and shifter placement?

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Transmission and shifter placement?

I’m converting my two speed to a 4 speed manual in my 67cutlass. I have a Muncie out of a 68gto. I’m going without a console andstock boot. The research I’ve done leadme to believe there was no “hump” in these cars. My issue is that it seems the shifter, a Hurst,is sticking up out of the floor too much. I’m also not sure how large the hole in the floor should be. I know Imade it too big, but not sure how much. Does anyone have pictures or information they could share of where thelocation of the shifter should be in relation to the floor. There is an adjustment bold of some sort onthe shifter, and it pretty much hits the floor. Or maybe some thoughts as to why the transmission may be sitting toohigh. I’m pretty sure I have the right cross-memberand transmission mount. They seem prettyuniversal from manual to automatic.
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:55 PM

I think you need a shifter hump from an Olds, or use one from a Chevelle or GTO. The repro's fit pretty good.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:27 PM

I bought a new 66 442 in 1966... My car did not have a console... It also did not
have a shifter hump. It had a flat round ring with holes in it that held the boot down. This ring was chromed and about 1/2" wide. The screws went thru the ring, shift boot, carpet, and into the sheet metal around the hole on the hump.. I do not have the dimensions, maybe someone else may post it for you.... Bill
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by wmlewis
I bought a new 66 442 in 1966... My car did not have a console... It also did not
have a shifter hump. It had a flat round ring with holes in it that held the boot down. This ring was chromed and about 1/2" wide. The screws went thru the ring, shift boot, carpet, and into the sheet metal around the hole on the hump.. I do not have the dimensions, maybe someone else may post it for you.... Bill
That is not what the factory boot is like.

The '66-'67 A-body floors have a "larger" burned out hole with a plate welded in that has a specific shifter hole size and location in it that is specific to the transmission used. There is no "hump" as such.
The factory boot (shown here) is the same from '66-'69 and is for all floor shift none console applications.
The top lip of the boot goes over the carpet. The lip with the retaining ring goes under the carpet and secures directly to the floor. Thus you cannot see the retaining ring when installed.

Moos, you probably just have a hole that is the size and location for an automatic, and not for a 4-speed. You would probably be able to elongate it where needed and drill holes for the boot plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
boot5.jpg (85.8 KB, 24 views)
boot6.jpg (49.8 KB, 16 views)
boot3.jpg (56.1 KB, 16 views)
boot4.jpg (67.9 KB, 21 views)
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:24 AM

I stand corrected..... It was almost 50years ago... "wmachine" explanation sounds right on... Bill
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Wmachine, that looks like the boot I have. The ring I have is contoured to the floorpan, and seems to interfere with the shifter if I place it where it fits snug to the floor. I have attached a couple pictures of the shifter. Does the placement look correct?
Attached Images
Shifter 1.jpg (77.6 KB, 26 views)
Shifter 2.jpg (77.3 KB, 24 views)