trans shop says they can change the stall in ur converteur

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2014, 10:22 PM

trans shop says they can change the stall in ur converteur

when they say that do they cut open the convertor and do something to change the stall. im confued please explain it to me
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:35 PM

They will change the pitch of the converter vanes.
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:46 PM

BUT DO THEY HAVE TO CUT OPEN THE CONVERTOR AND WELD IT BACK TOGETHER? sorry cap lock was on
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:11 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Yes.
Just as you have to remove the cylinder head and oil pan to get to the pistons in your engine.
Why would you do this?, surely it would be a better approach to buy a higher stall converter from a reputable manufacturer.

Roger.
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Not really rustyroger. A good shop will cut open a converter and inspect replace wear parts as needed and re stall the converter based on personal wants or what the build needs. A local shop here will take in a stock gm converter and re furbish it and re stall it for less than a new big company will. Going big brand aint always the ticket., And yes johnnyjawas they will cut it open ad re weld it. There is no way to re work a converter unless they cut it open. Its common stuff. You can buy a 3000 stall from ACC boss hog converters and then decided you need 4000 rpm stall they will cut it and Adjust as needed.

Last edited by coppercutlass; July 25th, 2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:33 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Now I know a little more about transmissions than a few minutes ago.
Thank you.

Roger.
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:09 AM

The reason I asked someone on the forum suggested this I thought to just buy a different one too but if it will give me what im looking for and save money then..? makes sense to me.
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:12 AM

Is that the name acc boss hog convertors
Old July 25th, 2014, 07:05 AM

That's name brand company I used for example the shop I used is called torque converter technology in villa park il.
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:16 AM

I got all my tranny parts from a little shop that rebuilds convertors here. That's all they do. Stick it on a lathe, spin it and cut the weld off ... take it apart, replace anything inside that needs replacing, put it back on the lathe and weld it back up, then spin balance it. Quite the show. I'd assumed it took a factory to rebuild them. Imagine my surprise to find this little garage cranking them out in my own back yard.
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:22 AM

The shop I used was the same way older guy who has 2 other employees and rents space from the transmission shop that is next door.
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:24 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I suppose you don't need much capital investment to start up a converter overhauling business.
A decent lathe, a clean workshop and industrial quality welding equipment and if you know what you are doing you're good to go.
Good to hear of small local businesses getting your dollars rather than some faceless corporation outsourcing to the far east.

Roger.
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:49 AM

Building custom converters is a huge investment! You need LOTS of cores (to ensure you have the needed pump and stator selection needed for stall speed changes) a machine to leak-check and balance converters, and several lathes to machine the differant parts to fit together.

Most of the expense of a custom converter is the machine work and labor. You can make small changes to stall speed by bending the vanes on the pump, a big change might require a differant pump and stator. Most performance converters start life as 8,9,or 10 inch convereters from low perfromance late model cars, they were never designed to deal with todays power.and heavy cars. you cut open the core, machine the parts and decide what needs change to make the converter do what you want it to do. Then, you use stators and sprags from other size (or completly differant manufactures) and the custom covers to adapt the late model converter to a engine and crankshaft it was never intended to fit. Once all that is done, it takes lots of measurements to make sure everything spins truw and evenly, then its welded together on a special fixture to ensure things are straight, leak tested, balanced.

I worked at Coan Enginerring for a couple years. Dave Coan is an *** to work for, but i did learn alot about the trans and converter industry. I learned what works, what doesnt, what other companies did, and what to stay away from.