Proper use of the Hurst Dual Gate Shifter

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Proper use of the Hurst Dual Gate Shifter

What is the "correct" way to use the Hurst DGS? The previous owner didn't use it any and couldn't provide much help. In "normal" I have D, 2 and 1. D will shift automatically, and 2 and 1 just let me drive in first or second gear. So then what are the dual gate gears for? I also have a 1, 2 and 3 on that side. If I drop it in 1 on the DG side, romp on it, then upshift to 2 and 3...whats the difference between that and doing it on the "normal" side?
Today I romped on it in 2 on the dual gate side, then shifted to 3 by shoving the shifter all the way forward...and it went into neutral...at high RPM, which, uh, really impressed the wife.

It's a 1972 442 455/TH400.

Thanks
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:34 AM
same but different

The dual gates allow you NOT go into reverse. It should stop in the gear you select after slapping it. Perhaps your stops are worn, it should'nt go into nuetral like you describe.

Anyways, its often called a "his and hers" too. Allows for you to be more spirited in your driving on "his" side.
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Scotty B
What is the "correct" way to use the Hurst DGS? The previous owner didn't use it any and couldn't provide much help. In "normal" I have D, 2 and 1. D will shift automatically, and 2 and 1 just let me drive in first or second gear. So then what are the dual gate gears for? I also have a 1, 2 and 3 on that side. If I drop it in 1 on the DG side, romp on it, then upshift to 2 and 3...whats the difference between that and doing it on the "normal" side?
Today I romped on it in 2 on the dual gate side, then shifted to 3 by shoving the shifter all the way forward...and it went into neutral...at high RPM, which, uh, really impressed the wife.

It's a 1972 442 455/TH400.

Thanks
The dual gate is intended to allow you to upshift while drag racing while ensuring that the 1-2 shift will only go into second and the 2-3 shift will only go into third. If you hit neutral, you shift linkage is not adjusted properly.

You start with the lever in the RH gate and all the way back. Launch the car. When you want to shift to second, slap the shifter diagonally towards the right front corner of the car. If it's working properly, you will go into second and stop. Release the lever and it springs into position for the next shift. When you want third, again slap diagonally towards the front right corner of the car. The shifter should stop in third gear.
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM

OK, thanks Joe, I hadn't thought about the diagonal pressure part...I will go out and do some, uh, research, later on today!
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Sounds like fun research. Of course, missing a gear or going into neutral would make me cringe if I was really getting into the secondaries.
Old September 9th, 2024, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by don71
The dual gates allow you NOT go into reverse. It should stop in the gear you select after slapping it. Perhaps your stops are worn, it should'nt go into nuetral like you describe.
That's why, if you've seen under the top plate, the shift guide plate should look like a zig zag.
Old September 9th, 2024, 02:56 PM

Look at the date on your post, now look at the date on the last post, now back to your post, now back to the last post. Sadly, your posts aren't like mine, but they COULD be, if you stopped using lady scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, they could even smell like they were written by me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a thread that predates most of the members on this forum with its last reply. Look at your keyboard, now back at the screen; your epic thread necroing has been made hilarious by my parody of an Old Spice ad. Anything is possible when you look at the date of the last post and consider not replying if it's old. I'm on a horse.
Old September 9th, 2024, 03:59 PM
Old School Olds

Spoiler

Last edited by tru-blue 442; September 10th, 2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old September 10th, 2024, 04:35 AM

Aye, but this was a good refresher course for my practicing for next year's National's racing event with my 79 H/O. I had a heck of a time with my shifter this year in my 94 Supreme, but then again I'm making up yet another excuse for my shoddy performance that day.
Old September 10th, 2024, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Look at the date on your post, now look at the date on the last post, now back to your post, now back to the last post. Sadly, your posts aren't like mine, but they COULD be, if you stopped using lady scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, they could even smell like they were written by me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a thread that predates most of the members on this forum with its last reply. Look at your keyboard, now back at the screen; your epic thread necroing has been made hilarious by my parody of an Old Spice ad. Anything is possible when you look at the date of the last post and consider not replying if it's old. I'm on a horse.
if you’re actually that bored (and boring) maybe you could get a second job writing comedy material for Bobcat Goldthwaite who’s just as unfunny as you…
Old September 10th, 2024, 04:57 AM

Whatever you do, don't yank the shifter all the way back and THINK you're on the notched side when you're not, stomp the gas to show off to your friends still in the parking lot, slap the shifter and end up in reverse. Car takes a nose dive in a hurry.

Right after I got my first 71 442 with the dual gate, I figured it was easy enough to figure out. But coming from a 69 4-speed and a 69 with the auto console before that, these funky new-to-me dual-gates was a learning curve. Lucky for me it didn't kill the transmission, but that was a huge lesson learned. I sheepishly put the car back in drive, and putted on down the road and went home in embarrassment. Always know where your shifter is.