Please Help Diagnose Problem

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2012, 04:21 AM

Please Help Diagnose Problem

OK everyone.

I must admit that I don't know that much about transmissions. So if someone can please help me figure out what is going on here that would be appreciated.

I have a 67 TH400 (switch pitch) behind a 425. All of a sudden, the shifts are long and soft. They seem to be starting at the right point (about 10mph and 25mph), but they feel almost like when someone rides the clutch a bit too much in a standard. It is holding gears fine, and it does not seem to have any problem engaging hot or cold. It does not do it EVERY shift, but probably 90% of the time.

Here is what I have done:
Good vacuum (19") at the hard line leading to the modulator
Checked modulator, it holds 20" indefinitely, and the plunger moves. Since I had purchased one, I put it in anyway just to see. No difference. No fluid came out of the line when I pulled it off of the old one, although the line was wet. I had actually replaced the rubber line last summer, as it rotted and the cars wouldn't shift until way late. This is different.

I guess the last bit of possibly useful information is that I do feel like the shift lever is... mushy- the engagements/detents/whatever they are called always "hold" but when I put it in gear I always feel like I have to make sure that the lever is "in" if you know what I mean. Column mounted, by the way.

Anybody have any thoughts? Am I heading for a rebuild?

Thanks
Dave
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:26 AM

anything been worked on lately regarding the trans and linkage?

look at the last thing "fixed"

slop in the linkage from your hand to the trans selector shaft?

Detent roller came loose inside the trans? [pan drop]

If not, then... might be rebuild time. Pan drop will show how much crud is in there too.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Administrator

There is an actuator switch on the firewall throttle linkage. That's where the switch pitch and passing gear are activated. It sounds as if your actuator and/or switch may be inop.

On the shifter linkage make sure all the connections are tight and not egg shaped, give em a quick lube and see if that helps.

Last edited by oldcutlass; June 30th, 2012 at 07:37 AM.