Lucas Transmission Treatment

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Lucas Transmission Treatment

I have a 67 Cutlass with the 2 speed jetaway transmission. It has a coupe of very small leaks...hardly anything at all but I am considering adding a little Lucas tranny treatment. I don't want to add a whole bottle unless necessary. Do you know how much transmission fluid these tranny's held?

Thanks
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's in your owners manual under the 'capacities' section. If you drain and refill it should be around 3 quarts. If you were doing a total rebuild it might be as much as 10-15 quarts. I don't have the info handy. Check your tranny hot and see what the level is. If it's leaking and you can see the level is down? Add a little at a time but make sure not to over fill.

Personally I don't put much faith in ANY tranny treatments. They don't solve the main problem which is usually a failed gasket/seal. Far better to put the tranny and do it right if you're planning to keep the car.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
It's in your owners manual under the 'capacities' section. If you drain and refill it should be around 3 quarts. If you were doing a total rebuild it might be as much as 10-15 quarts. I don't have the info handy. Check your tranny hot and see what the level is. If it's leaking and you can see the level is down? Add a little at a time but make sure not to over fill.

Personally I don't put much faith in ANY tranny treatments. They don't solve the main problem which is usually a failed gasket/seal. Far better to put the tranny and do it right if you're planning to keep the car.
Thanks Allan...The tranny fluid level remails at the full mark ...I just figured I would take out a little bit and add enough Lucas to fill the void. I talked to a couple of well respected mechanics in the area and they have used it on older transmissions with great success. I understand your concern and share it...I thought a little bit could not hurt. Thanks again!
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Lucas makes great products but I am with Allan on this one. I have never had any success with anything like this to stop leaks but I would probably still try it.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I agree that it prolly won't hurt it either, but in reality its just a band aid solution unless you can put up with the fluid drips. FWIW, I really get what you're trying. My wife's car was diagnosed with head gasket failure behind the #1 cylinder just after it went off warranty. GM wanted over 1200.00 to fix it. I was pissed because the car had less than 30K on it but was 'just over' the warranty time line. A GOOD dealer would have worked that out to keep a happy customer. Noooooo, not GM.

I have been periodically adding CD2 oil treatment to 'fill the void' but in all honesty? It's a waste of $. It still has the same amount of leak that it did back in 2000. I just put a particle board under the car where she parks and when I do oil changes I clean the bottom of the car with a rag to get rid of the grime. I will say that the oil drips to keep the undercarriage on the passenger side in really great shape - NO rust anywhere. Wish I could say that for the DS. Ok enuff prattle. Good luck with your experiment.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

I've heard those "stop leak" and "treatment" deals may cause the gasket to swell and work for a period of time then once the treatment wears off it leaks again...... My thinking is that since your leak is minute it'll be ok, just as everyone stated don't over fill it or you'll have problems.
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Thanks for all the input...I am still a little up in the air on this and will do a little more due diligence. This is a great site!

Tom
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Tom, may I suggest you get the car up on a hoist and see where the trans is leaking from? It might be as simple as an O ring / pan gasket or a PITA rear main seal
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Originally Posted by Allan R
Tom, may I suggest you get the car up on a hoist and see where the trans is leaking from? It might be as simple as an O ring / pan gasket or a PITA rear main seal
Speaking of rear mains, I just did one yesterday in a neon. Lot of work just for a seal IMO.

@OP
Not that bad of a job if you are able to have a friend handy and the right tools. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours or so if you don't run into any problems.
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:11 AM

I used it in a used 700r4 from a yard on my Suburban,
1 - 2 shift was a little soft, and I figured it couldn't hurt.
Firmed up a little, and the trans now has about 5000 dry miles on it - no leaks.
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Administrator

The Lucas trans stuff will not hurt anything.
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:21 AM

Lucas success

I used Lucas tranny treatment in a 95 windstar van that had a major trans leak (I figured I had nothing to lose, the van is not worth much) It says you can use a maximum of 2 bottles in the trans. The leak was so bad I used 2 bottles and to my surprise it stopped the leak and that was a few years ago. I havent noticed any difference in the trans shift points or anything else. From my one example I say it works.

Good luck
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Several years ago, my wife's 1973 Ford Mustang suddenly had no reverse in the 3 speed Cruise-o-Matic transmisson. I poured in a bottle of some transmission magic additive ( something in a blue can , as I recall) . Sure enough, within 15 minutes the transmission was back to normal, and stayed normal until she sold the car 5 years later. " One consecutive experiment" doesn't prove anything, but I'd try it again if necessary.
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by PetChemMan
Several years ago, my wife's 1973 Ford Mustang suddenly had no reverse in the 3 speed Cruise-o-Matic transmisson. I poured in a bottle of some transmission magic additive ( something in a blue can , as I recall) . Sure enough, within 15 minutes the transmission was back to normal, and stayed normal until she sold the car 5 years later. " One consecutive experiment" doesn't prove anything, but I'd try it again if necessary.
Probably Trans-X. Good stuff, I have used it several
times for problematic shifting trannys. Doesn't help
leaks but does a good job cleansing the valve body.
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:05 AM

I had the same problem with my 65 Cutlass with Jetaway. Drip, drip, drip. Used Lucas treatment. But still that constant dripping. Finally just said rebuild. Glad I did.