59 Hydra matic lost 3rd and 4th gear.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 03:49 AM

59 Hydra matic lost 3rd and 4th gear.

Hi there,

I have looked through the forum the best I can and came across a post from December 2020 that almost fits my issue but not quite.
I have looked at the trouble shooting guide in the manual but nothing suits my issue there either.
(Loss of gears 3 and 4.

My 59 Ninety Eight has run its Hydra Matic through both the original and new engine with no issues.
last week I removed the inlet manifold to do some work. All went great all back together and runs great. Test run around the block no issues however when I left the driveway in 1st and it went into (I think), 2nd, I heard a very loud racket from under the car. To me it sounded like a few small bits off solid steel attached to a string being dragged under the car for about 2 seconds. Got out nothing left behind and no oil.

I took it for a long run on the freeway. It would not get out of second. Sometimes going from 1st to 2nd got stuck so I took the foot off accelerator then back on again and then it changed but No third or fourth when in Drive.

Changed the gears manually I started off in ‘L’ this was fine and when revs were up I changed manually in ‘S’. I could hear and feel it go up a gear as revs went down and built back up again. Then I manually changed into ‘D’ there were no more upgearing.
So, to me only 1st and 2nd gear exist.

I checked to ensure I have not displaced the T.V lever when I did the manifold work I think it’s good.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

Old Yesterday | 06:44 AM

Isn't there an adjustment on that TV lever? Make sure you follow the factory manual to set that properly.
Old Yesterday | 07:31 AM
Oldsdruid

Have you looked under the car to make sure the TV rod and clevis are still attached at the transmission?
Old Yesterday | 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Isn't there an adjustment on that TV lever? Make sure you follow the factory manual to set that properly.
Yes, all set up previous and working well. When I removed the manifold I layed that and the accelerator lever back gently as to not disturb.
Old Yesterday | 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Have you looked under the car to make sure the TV rod and clevis are still attached at the transmission?
Yes, still all attached.
Old Yesterday | 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

Would this be something that I could have disturbed or moved in a direction it’s not supposed to while I had it detached?
Old Yesterday | 12:41 PM
Art S

Did you remove the linkage support bracket when you removed the manifold? I'm sure you were careful not to disturb anything but I know on mine some of the settings are .020 of an inch on the adjustments so something slightly changed could throw it off.
Old Yesterday | 01:55 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by 5998DownUnder

Would this be something that I could have disturbed or moved in a direction it’s not supposed to while I had it detached?
That's the shift selector rod. If park and reverse are functioning that's probably ok. I was talking about the TV rod that runs from the carburetor to transmission. The one that controls shift points and downshifts.

Your 59 shop book should have diagnostic charts in the transmission section. See if there's one describing "loss of 3d and 4th" or "no 2-3 upshift", or something similar.

Reach out to Charlie Jones, coldwar or d2willys. They understand fluid coupling HydraMatics.