66" Toronado CV axles

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2023, 04:35 PM

66" Toronado CV axles

Good day all,

I don't trust the Rockauto offerings for replacement CV axles for my 66'. My passenger side one should probably be replaced and I think the PN I require is 5699356 (see screenshot from my original manual below). A tip I got from Joe P. is to take the PN you need and check it on Rockauto against the PN's of the suggestions but in this case, RA doesn't list the OEM PN's of the axles they offer. The only PN I can find on these is GM 8111 which doesn't seem to cross with anything that I can see. RA doesn't recognize my original PN either.

In any case, has anyone changed out their CV axle on the 66' and if so, what part did you use? Thanks!

The 66' looks different from the 67'

This GM8111 "looks" right but I can't be sure.

Last edited by ourkid2000; June 6th, 2023 at 04:57 PM.
Old June 6th, 2023, 05:09 PM

I've used CVJ Axles in Denver CO for other brand vehicles and they've always been good. Keep them in mind if you cannot find what you need.
Old June 6th, 2023, 05:57 PM
Oldsdruid

The big difference in 66 and later years axles is the rubber torsional damper in the passenger side axle was eliminated. Most rebuilt axles don't have it either.
Old June 6th, 2023, 06:21 PM

I remember getting into the differences between 1966 and 1967. There is a difference. IF I remember correctly it was in the ball sizes, knuckles, and associated parts.
1966 is a lower volume part because it was only one year. They actually started using the second design at the end of 1966, so that can also lead to some confusion. Try checking with "Toroguy" on here also.

https://www.gmcrvparts.com/product-p/gm1-1.003.1.htm

Contact us:
https://www.gmcrvparts.com/Articles.asp?ID=83
Old June 6th, 2023, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The big difference in 66 and later years axles is the rubber torsional damper in the passenger side axle was eliminated. Most rebuilt axles don't have it either.
You 100% on that? They did get rid of that torsional damper, but the big difference I see is the triangular shaped inboard housing on the "2nd type" that showed up on the later 67's. It appears that the 66' and the early 67's used the "1st type" round style as shown in my screen shots above. I have no idea if that one will work in my case or not. The offerings on RockAuto actually look like the 1st type to me, rather than the more popular 2nd type.

Last edited by ourkid2000; June 6th, 2023 at 06:49 PM.
Old June 6th, 2023, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I remember getting into the differences between 1966 and 1967. There is a difference. IF I remember correctly it was in the ball sizes, knuckles, and associated parts.
1966 is a lower volume part because it was only one year. They actually started using the second design at the end of 1966, so that can also lead to some confusion. Try checking with "Toroguy" on here also.

Contact us:
Are you sure they used the second design on the later 66's? In my screenshot above, from my 1971 parts manual, it shows the "1st type" as applicable to the 66' and the early 67's. The 2nd type was only used on the later 67's from what I'm seeing.

Later manuals show the PN as 7808130 (RH) and 7807559 (LH) but this shows as including an adapter for 1966 "1st types". I have no idea what that means.

I don't have any particular preference with any of this other than I would like to order up a CV axle that will bolt right in and not have me standing there with a part that won't work. Just trying to avoid some aggravation I suppose.

Last edited by ourkid2000; June 6th, 2023 at 07:05 PM.
Old June 6th, 2023, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
Are you sure they used the second design on the later 66's? In my screenshot above, from my 1971 parts manual, it shows the "1st type" as applicable to the 66' and the early 67's. The 2nd type was only used on the later 67's from what I'm seeing.

Later manuals show the PN as 7808130 (RH) and 7807559 (LH) but this shows as including an adapter for 1966 "1st types". I have no idea what that means.

I don't have any particular preference with any of this other than I would like to order up a CV axle that will bolt right in and not have me standing there with a part that won't work. Just trying to avoid some aggravation I suppose.
Sorry, You are correct about 1967 being the changeover. There used to be a few very knowledgeable Toronado guys on here. Rocketraider seems to know something about them also.
I bought a few parts for my Toronado before I got into it. When I got looking things over, the final drive was ok, it was the transmission that needed work.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; June 6th, 2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old June 6th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Oldsdruid

www.toronado.org Someone there will have the definitive answer.
Old June 7th, 2023, 04:30 AM

Don't forget to check Fusick & Kanter for hard to get parts.

https://www.fusickautomotiveproducts...s.asp?dept=185

https://www.kanter.com/
Old June 7th, 2023, 04:30 AM

Contact us:
Thanks for the suggestions.....I looked for Toroguy but I do not see that user on here. Could you doublecheck that username? Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2023, 07:50 AM
Oldsdruid

There used to be a few very knowledgeable Toronado guys on here. Rocketraider seems to know something about them also.
That's because Rocketraider has been up close and personal with, and regularly beaten up by, a 1969 W-car since 1987. He's also judged 66-70 Toronados at National Meets when his 69 wasn't in the class that year.

But that doesn't mean he knows anything about them, other Oldsmobiles, or any other vehicle, does it?😛

OP, you have questioned every bit of advice and information I've given you on your 66. I will no longer respond to your questions.
Old June 7th, 2023, 08:07 AM

That's because Rocketraider has been up close and personal with, and regularly beaten up by, a 1969 W-car since 1987. He's also judged 66-70 Toronados at National Meets when his 69 wasn't in the class that year.

But that doesn't mean he knows anything about them, other Oldsmobiles, or any other vehicle, does it?😛

OP, you have questioned every bit of advice and information I've given you on your 66. I will no longer respond to your questions.
I have certainly not questioned your advice.....as far as I know.....sheesh, I'm an absolute noob with zero qualifications to question people with experience on these things. I do not remember questioning, outside of the odd inquiry, anything anyone has suggested to me on here. I do enjoy discussing things, so maybe my inquisitiveness has been mistaken for truculence?

In any case, If I have somehow managed to offend, I sincerely apologize and it was definitely not intended. Your input has been much appreciated. I certainly hope you can reconsider, but will respect your decision.

Last edited by ourkid2000; June 7th, 2023 at 08:12 AM.
Old June 7th, 2023, 03:19 PM

That tells me a lot. You seemed knowledgeable, I just wanted to give you credit. I am always interested to read your posts.
Old June 8th, 2023, 08:48 AM

My most recent purchase from Rock Auto leaves me very leery of any future business with them. I purchased 3 carburetor mounting gaskets from them - they turned out to be defective/unusable due to improperly positioned mounting holes. I wanted to return them for a refund, but the best their computer system allowed was a return for replacement, and that involved me paying for return shipping.
So, that's what I did, and I received another 3 gaskets, defective just like the first 3. Unless I missed something, a refund is not an option, and there's no way to talk with a real human representative. Unless something is super-cheap compared to NAPA or unavailable elsewhere, I'll be passing on Rock Auto in the future.