'66 Toronado axle flange needed

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM

'66 Toronado axle flange needed

This is the flange that is approx 6" diameter X 5/8th" thick that the inner u-joints bolt to.

Maybe the sheetmetal looks funny, but this is all about a Toronado driveline problem.

http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/acti...=1211305903746
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM

Toro Part

Hello Greybeard
A little more information please, what years of transaxles will have the flange that interchanges with yours? Do you need the drivers side or the passenger side, or will they interchange with each other? What part of the country are you in? Even though the outer skin isn't Oldsmobile it still has the heart of one! John
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM

I'm now really uncertain as to what years used this flange as I just saw what appeared to be a CV on a '66, and the parts I have came out of a '66.
I just had the passenger side u-joint lose a bolt to the cap on one side, break the cap, and come loose. It streached the metal on the flange enough I'm not comfortable putting it back in. I built the car 15 years ago on a whim, and my 65 year old mind is having trouble with what was modified, what was custom built, and what was adapted. I found a u-joint in a little shop in Ontario OR. so I'm good there. I think I'll go pull the drivers side tomarrow and if all else fails, find a machine shop who can make me one. I'm sure they are the same side to side.
I live just accross the Snake River about 20 miles North of Ontario.
Showing how much "heart" it had, probably aided in shortening the life of the parts I left on the street.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Past Administrator

Oh man that is one sweet looking little car my freind! I like everything about it; the layout (I bet the front/rear weight balance is great), the wheel and tire selection, the color, the plan (A Toro drive train in a corvair!) and the stance. It all fits and works for me. Nice project and I hope you get your flange repaired to get that car back on the road. I bet it drives like a dream.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Thank you for the comments. It does drive nice, but the weight distibution(33%/67%) leaves autocrossing out. I pretty much drive it in straight lines and don't throw it around corners. I've taken it to one small show. Left the deck lid down for the first hour, and I swear not one man did a walk-around. The women used words like "precious" "so cute" and "what is it?". When I opened the deck lid, it took very little time for a small crowd to gather, and suddenly the cars on both sides "disappeared". It was awarded a "top 10". I don't think anyone had ever seen anything like it as the competition far surpassed it in quality. That Olds is an absolute magnet.