Why is it a waste to fill exhaust divider?

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by seansolds
As a spectator I found the ping ponging extremely entertaining! I live for entertainment! Just my 2 cents.
jackson_popcorn.gif mf_popcorn-1.gif Hoist.gif
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:50 PM

But seriously guys, I can't find anything on google that shows before and after. Its either stock or a full basic port job

I'm not tryna go round sayin I ported my heads, I just want it to run a strong number for stock heads and put it off as the rare 330 head swapjust kicking *** ; ) haha

I'll also be lying about hella other stuff, old street race habits die hard. Doing crap like shoving a banana in my tailpipe for a grudge run, or throwing my passenger seat in the trunk to gain 60' time on full weight money runs is how we did it.

You should see how bad a geared v8 w a hundred fifty pounds bungeed into the trunk rips a Honda into bits off the line.

If this is deemed worthy and I port off the air bump this combined w the divider will be the first time my "headwork" isn't a 35 shot hidden in the oai headlight bezel
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:57 PM

And don't get me wrong. I don't get the impression olds sbs can't put up good numbers, I feel that way about small blocks in general. It seems like if ur not upgrading your headflow ur not making much power, period.
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by odddoylerules
Wow that cam is smaller than the one I'm going to use, 212@.050 single pattern .460 lift I hope it works OK with my tamer 3.42 setup. If the maths are correct I should be at 8.9:1
On that mild of a combo going through the effort to fill/divide won't be noticeable... you are building a combo that will have peak power below 5000 rpm. Should be torquey and fun, but don't overthink it...

If you have headers, a good tune, and traction, you should be in the low 14's.
Old March 9th, 2015, 01:10 AM

Well what's done is done, but I haven't ground the air bumps yet. Should I? I mean, I kinda want to cut my teeth on porting for next time but if I could create a dead spot then forget it. Those olds engineers had degrees.
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:15 AM

Just go with zoomies and call it good.
Old March 9th, 2015, 09:20 AM

Well what's done is done, but I haven't ground the air bumps yet. Should I? I mean, I kinda want to cut my teeth on porting for next time but if I could create a dead spot then forget it. Those olds engineers had degrees.
Forget about the speed bumps. Your biggest gains will come from a good bowl blend/ valve job. This is what some people refer to as a pocket port. None of the other porting mods will give you as much performance gain. Joe Mondello once told me that filling the heat risers/ welding the exhaust dividers, was good for 8-10HP on a mild BB. That means for the stock SB, it really isn't worth squat.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:00 AM

Not in the cards this time man, but grinding the bumps was gonna be like a primer for that.

I'm just gonna leave it as is, in this case I'm more worried that killing velocity might be the end result.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
...don't overthink it...
I overthink everything. The add in me.

In the past it usually has resulted in a well examined plan with better than expected results. Like I said, I just want my efforts to result in something in the higher end of the bell curve when compared to similar setups.

As for tune, got a wideband going in, so I should have fun with that aspect of it, and I can't wait to try new intakes and tinker on the thing.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:12 AM

And by traction olz don't say u mean slicks... I'd feel like a tool donning slicks to beat a Honda on street rubber

I have a limited slip
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:48 AM

It seems like if ur not upgrading your headflow ur not making much power, period.
Do you have me on your ignore list? Low 13s is easily achievable with no fancy head work.....ie: zero porting, no need to weld up dividers, don't have to remove AIR bumps, and a simple plug in the crossover will serve you well.

The most important thing is to make sure the heads are in good working order. You can't make power with an old set of heads with wore out guides, beat up seats, a ton of carbon built up on the valves and right under the seats.
Old March 9th, 2015, 11:24 AM

They're fresh as a daisy in may
Old March 9th, 2015, 11:43 AM

But I was thinking low 13's was going to be the domain of the future rebuild. In street tires at least.

This is just getting it back into runner status