Pulling the motor

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2014, 11:27 AM

So I'm trying to get my accessories on and everything was going swimmingly until I realized I hadn't bolted the power steering pump to the lower block. Once I did, the pulley was pulled out of alignment with the water pump pulley. What kinda' stinks is that when I was pulling this stuff off I thought I'd be putting them right back on (not 10 months later) so I wasn't great about organizing the bolts. I just had a container of "power steering pump" bolts, and one for alternator, etc. But Once I pulled them out I realized some looked rather sketchy. For instance one looks to be maybe a #10 machine screw, about two inches long, and with six washers on it. Uhh....not sure about that one.
Anyway, I have it bolted on as per the CSM but like I said, it's not lined up. Do I start throwing washers at it myself?

Last edited by Macadoo; June 18th, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old June 18th, 2014, 11:33 AM

And yes, I do have the spacer on the correct bolt.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 18th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Macadoo
And yes, I do have the spacer on the correct bolt.
And you apparently DON'T have the second spacer between the lower bracket and the side of the block...
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:08 PM

Do you mean here?

[IMG][/IMG]

That might explain this beautiful set up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Although I had this one marked as AC. Honestly though, looking at the geometry, it doesn't look like that's the direction it needs to move. But what the heck, I'll give it the ol' college try. Thanks Joe.
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:15 PM

I just pulled that bracket off the other day, there was a larger 5/8" bolt on the side under the exhaust manifold that had a spacer against the block, (spacer - bracket - washer - lockwasher - bolt) I think. I just recall it was larger than all the others on the front.

Maybe thats helpful?
Tim
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Skitch72
I just pulled that bracket off the other day, there was a larger 5/8" bolt on the side under the exhaust manifold that had a spacer against the block, (spacer - bracket - washer - lockwasher - bolt) I think. I just recall it was larger than all the others on the front.

Maybe thats helpful?
Tim
Gonna' try that right now. Thanks Tim.
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:50 PM

Anyone happen to know the correct dimensions of these spacers? Because I didn't have one on the lower bolt to DS of block and the one I did have on the front of the block (pictured) is actually a large nut.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Nevermind, I found the answer.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...p-spacers.html
Old June 18th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Hookers under Hood

Mac, I needed to put a spacer from the heddder flange to my p/s pump. I used some threaded rod and double nutted instead. Not sure if that is why your p/s is out.
Eric
Old June 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Mac, I needed to put a spacer from the heddder flange to my p/s pump. I used some threaded rod and double nutted instead. Not sure if that is why your p/s is out.
Eric
That's the one thing I did RIGHT, lol. I realized right away that the header and manny are different thicknesses. I just compensated with some washers. An eighth inch if I remember correctly.
But thanks Eric.

Last edited by Macadoo; June 18th, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old June 18th, 2014, 07:40 PM

The spacers did the trick. It took a little finesse and some fabrication but I've got it all lined up. It's getting there. Another day under the [not installed yet] hood and I'll be ready to tackle the exhaust. At least I think.
Oh, and before I installed and tightened the power steering belt, I filled it to the "cold" line and spun the pump for a minute or so. But the level didn't drop. I thought it might help get fluid into the empty lines but it didn't appear to.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Macadoo; June 18th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old June 18th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Looks good Mac, almost ready to make noise.
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Thanks Eric. I'm anxious to see the results. Hey a question; the double throttle return spring setup is rubbing on the EGR port. Do I need the larger spring or would the accelerator be too soft without it?
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You can use pretty much any combination of springs, so long as it gives you the feel you want and closes the throttle.

The dual spring setups are a newfangled setup that will still close your throttle in case one breaks.
Your car came with a single spring originally.

- Eric
Old June 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You can use pretty much any combination of springs, so long as it gives you the feel you want and closes the throttle.

The dual spring setups are a newfangled setup that will still close your throttle in case one breaks.

- Eric
Ahhh, pretty slick. And sounds like a reasonable idea. But I can pretty much guarantee that outer spring will break as hard as it rubs against that unpolished aluminium.
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM

She is looking great! The come to life moment is near! Then you can start on all the suspension :-)
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:30 AM

A man's work is never done.
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric

Toyota?
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Professur
Toyota?
Prefer to avoid them, myself.

At least if the Olds throttle sticks open, I can shift into neutral and kill the engine.

I hear those Toyotas lock the doors and disable the door locks, seatbelt releases, gear selectors, and ignition switches, then run a soundtrack of maniacal laughter through the entertainment systems as you drive into a ditch.

- Eric
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Beautiful! Can't wait for you to turn that sculpture into a fine example of industrial design...
Old June 19th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eubiedad
Beautiful! Can't wait for you to turn that sculpture into a fine example of industrial design...
Thanks Chuck. I'm hoping for functional art
Old June 20th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Looking forward to the doctor Frankenstein moment.
Old June 20th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looking forward to the doctor Frankenstein moment.
Lol! I was going to ask if I get to dance around yelling "It's alive! It's alive!" I actually own a white lab coat, should I wear it?
Old June 20th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... Or, perhaps, the Robot Chicken moment...

... though I guess that applies best to my own cars.

- Eric
Old June 20th, 2014, 09:40 PM

Lol!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:52 PM

Update time:
I have the engine and bay finished, other than priming the engine one last time. I spent last night and today working on the bolt on exhaust, last of the list other than reinstalling the hood. Everything went really well until I had to deal with the muffler shop for my downpipes. Dude on the phone said "yeah, no problem, we bend 2-1/2" all the time. It'll take about half an hour." So I used some flex pipe stuff to mock up what I needed and headed to town. When i got there they were out of 2-1/2" pipe and lost the correct die. After three hours of waiting and calling other shops, they had them done. I brought them home and they fit great! Except for the fact that they spread the ends too much. After an hour and half with a ratchet and breaker bar I was down to the last joint but it just won't close. Like, at all. Obvioulsly I have to take them back and try again but for now can I cut a couple of kerfs perpendicular to the opening to help them close up? Or does anyone know a better way to crimp it up a little? Man, I'm this one joint away from firing this thing up for the first time!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Justin

Mac, your very patient or maybe just like your neighbors I would have fired that thing up with just headers on 😀
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:58 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Mdchanic robot chicken is hilarious lol. Mac try to sleeve the exhaust pipe with a pipe that will fill the void. Like if they went over 2.50 for the inside diameter expand it a bit more to accept a piece of pipe that will fit over the pipe you are trying to clamp it onto and into the pipe that's too big. I dunno if that makes sense but I did this with my old caprice when the pipes I got where weird sizes. Or go to autozone and buy a reducer and use that. use a reducer that will fit over the pipe that's too big and make sure it fits into the pipe you want it on. trimming is involved but its a 5 buck solution.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Mac, your very patient or maybe just like your neighbors I would have fired that thing up with just headers on ��
Not really patience Justin, I'm going off my gourd waiting to fire this thing. But I really want to be able to hear the engine...just in case.

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Mdchanic robot chicken is hilarious lol. Mac try to sleeve the exhaust pipe with a pipe that will fill the void. Like if they went over 2.50 for the inside diameter expand it a bit more to accept a piece of pipe that will fit over the pipe you are trying to clamp it onto and into the pipe that's too big. I dunno if that makes sense but I did this with my old caprice when the pipes I got where weird sizes. Or go to autozone and buy a reducer and use that. use a reducer that will fit over the pipe that's too big and make sure it fits into the pipe you want it on. trimming is involved but its a 5 buck solution.
I just noticed the pipes are wayy to long anyway. If I let the car off the stands, the pipes will be inches from the floor. I'm just going to go back tomorrow. I've been pushing too hard to get this done and starting to get sloppy. I'm going to back off a little. But just a little. Maybe first start on Wednesday.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:03 PM
Hookers under Hood

Mac have the shop make up a small header pipe 12" long. flatten the pipe where it meets the header put the flange on it then mandrel bend the pipe to 80 deg, this will keep it up nice and snug without too much restriction. then your intermediate pipe will have a small bend up to compensate thru to your mufflers. Are you just having the issue with the driver side as I did ?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:17 PM

Mac have the shop make up a small header pipe 12" long. flatten the pipe where it meets the header put the flange on it then mandrel bend the pipe to 80 deg, this will keep it up nice and snug without too much restriction. then your intermediate pipe will have a small bend up to compensate thru to your mufflers. Are you just having the issue with the driver side as I did ?
I'm not sure I follow. Do you have a picture?
Yeah, mostly the driver's side. The PS header doesn't shoot straight down like the other side.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:26 PM

But the new wheels and tires look great!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Hookers under Hood

I wish I had a picture for you but I left my car up at our trailer this week. Your pipes are too low for sure, do you have the collector bolted to the header? Then the pipe ?
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
But the new wheels and tires look great!
Lol, thanks Randy. I gotta' get this thing on the road or I'm gonna' pop a blood vessel!

[IMG][/IMG]

I wish I had a picture for you but I left my car up at our trailer this week. Your pipes are too low for sure, do you have the collector bolted to the header? Then the pipe ?
A collector is where all the header pipes come together, part of the header. If you mean the reducer, yeah. Header, then reducer with flange and gasket, down-pipe, front pipe, then H-pipe, muffler, rear pipe, tail pipe.
That reducer in the pic, next to the jack stand, came with the exhaust system. It's huge! The reducers that came with the headers are less than half as long. Those are what I used.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Hookers under Hood

Yes sorry I meant the reducer Mac. I would have the shop flatten the small pipe that you have coming off the reducer so that you can eliminate the reducer that came with the headers. You may also need to bend that little pipe up a little more as well. I hope I'm explaining it better this time.
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:23 AM

Yeah man, I get what you're saying now. Makes sense. I think I'll use a soup can or something to get that other downpipe tight and just take the whole car in and let them work their magic.
Old June 24th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Measure the id. Of the pipe that's too big and the od. Of the pipe that's too small. You can use a tail pipe expander to open up the smaller one or the bigger one. Using a piece of proper exhaust pipe for a sleeve will avoid the use of the expander which cost more lol.
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Yeah man, I get what you're saying now. Makes sense. I think I'll use a soup can or something to get that other downpipe tight and just take the whole car in and let them work their magic.
I don't know how most of the shops work down ther, but I tell ya up here when they see a decent old car pull up to the shop with and nicely detailed engine bay , nice set of cragars with new BFG tires , the price seems to go way up. I hope the shop treats you like every other hard working paying customer. I have to say you did a great job getting as far as you did with your exhaust. I would never have even attempted that myself. Big Cheers to you on that one .
Put-er-ther Mac!!!
Eric
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Moment Member

Get them to give you an estimate so you're not floored by the invoice. Make them stick to it as well.
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:36 AM

All good advice, and I wouldn't have thought that about the perception Eric. Especially when the truth is after a resto like this, most of us are flat broke! When I was in there yesterday, all covered in grease and dirt and looking like an abandoned mutt, they were pretty sympathetic. When I called this morning and informed them the pipes were too long and too big, their tone was a little different.
z11, after it's on the hoist or before? I love you video BTW

Quick Reply: Pulling the motor