Pulleys throwing belts..ughhh..

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well, thats the problem: You just never know.

And remember, any bracket setup that will fit within your engine compartment should work fine. That means that the pre-'68s are probably out, with the accessories w-a-y out to the sides, but pretty much everything else probably will (Disclaimer: I am not a G-body expert).

Don't forget to measure your water pump height (engine to pulley) - you'll either have to get a setup from a car that's the same, or take the water pump as well.

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is an easy solution for your belt rubbing problem. Get a 307 water pump pulley and use a stock alternator belt.

Also, every single Olds PS pump bracket built from 1968-1990 puts the pump in EXACTLY the same place relative to the front face of the block. There are singe and dual groove PS pump pulleys, so obviously that will change the belt location, but the pump body is always in the same place (assuming the spacers are installed correctly on the bracket).

Also, ALL Olds belts run in tracks that are at a fixed distance from the front face of the block. We've often said don't mix and match, but that's a simplification. The reality is that so long as the water pump and water pump pulley match, the belts should fall into place. Get a three-groove pulley for a 6" water pump and you should be good to go.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There is an easy solution for your belt rubbing problem. Get a 307 water pump pulley and use a stock alternator belt.

Also, every single Olds PS pump bracket built from 1968-1990 puts the pump in EXACTLY the same place relative to the front face of the block. There are singe and dual groove PS pump pulleys, so obviously that will change the belt location, but the pump body is always in the same place (assuming the spacers are installed correctly on the bracket).

Also, ALL Olds belts run in tracks that are at a fixed distance from the front face of the block. We've often said don't mix and match, but that's a simplification. The reality is that so long as the water pump and water pump pulley match, the belts should fall into place. Get a three-groove pulley for a 6" water pump and you should be good to go.
I'm with Joe and MDCHanic on this one. Your PS pump, checks out. It looks correct with the single groove press on pulley. Get both of the ps bracket spacers in place, and it should be just fine. If you don't have them, just stack washers so you end up with about 5/8" thickness, and it'll fly just fine.

The alternator looks correct as well. Single groove pulley with the plastic fan. That shouldn't be your problem either.

That aluminum water pump pulley and/or the water pump itself looks like the problem. Check that the water pump nose length is 6.1" from the timing cover to the face of the pulley boss. If it is 5,6" or 5.1" , you are using the wrong water pump for your stock pulleys. The aluminum aftermarket pulleys are for the short water pumps. The 1977-1990 cars use the long water pump. I should have the correct pulley around here somewhere if you need one.
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Spacer size question

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
307 PS pump brackets use the same spacers as all the others. There are TWO spacers, the one on the bottom front stud and the one on the side of the block where the lower bracket attaches in front of the motor mount. Everyone overlooks this because it usually falls out when the bolt gets removed and then lost. PS pump belt alignment problems are ALWAYS due to this spacer being missing.

After reviewing this thread, I checked my car and there is no spacer on the lower power steering pump bracket. I have a 1971 Cutlass Supreme, 350, AT, AC. The picture with the red circle on the lower bracket is very close to what I have but no spacer, so I'd like to correct that. Does anyone have the proper dimensions for the lower spacer?

Thanks
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't have one in front of me, but I'd say slightly more than ¼".

Someone here will have a number, but if not, use washers, and as long as you're close, it'll be a lot better than nothing.

- Eric
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:31 AM

PS bracket spacer

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I don't have one in front of me, but I'd say slightly more than ¼".

Someone here will have a number, but if not, use washers, and as long as you're close, it'll be a lot better than nothing.

- Eric

Thanks for this info, I think I have it shimmed to achieve good alignment. In the process, I've recognized that I'm missing other parts. I'll start a separate tread about that to not confuse it with the PS bracket spacer.

Thanks,
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:57 PM

Even though this thread is long far gone..I've made a little bit of progress today. I found the 2nd P/S pump bracket and slapped it on. I bought a 55" belt the manual calls for but it's a little too big. I think it may be because of the water pump pulley. I was going to try to avoid changing it but if it comes down to it, does anyone know where I can find a 3 groove water pump pulley? I've looked all over online and parts stores locally and have had no luck.