Mechanical to Electric pump switch

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2021, 11:19 AM

Mechanical to Electric pump switch

!968 Cutlass, 350 low compression, 600CFM Edelbrock carb with electric choke. First I'm pretty good with the mechanical stuff, but suck at wiring. Thinking about switching out the mechanical fuel pump for an electric. Looking at using the Holley 12427 (12 Volt; 4-7 psi; 32 gph), block off plate where the mech pump was. What would be a good place to pick up the hot wire? Connect to the same hot wire going to the electric choke?
Old May 12th, 2021, 11:30 AM
Gary

Here's an upgrade option that requires no wiring...

A RobbMc mechanical pump has about double the fuel output versus the factory pump https://robbmcperformance.com/products/olds550.html

Robb also has a 1000 HP mechanical pump if you are going all-out.

The products I've bought from him are faultless.
Old May 12th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

For safety, you should run the fuel pump through an oil pressure switch. There are a lot of factory installations that use this and a lot of available switches. These switches all have three terminals, one power in, one NC that powers the pump while cranking, and one NO that powers the pump when there is oil pressure.These switches are designed to carry the current of the pump.

Old May 12th, 2021, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
For safety, you should run the fuel pump through an oil pressure switch. There are a lot of factory installations that use this and a lot of available switches. These switches all have three terminals, one power in, one NC that powers the pump while cranking, and one NO that powers the pump when there is oil pressure.These switches are designed to carry the current of the pump.

X2
Stop pumping fuel in a crash and oil pressure drop suddenly for some reason.
Old May 12th, 2021, 12:46 PM

A RobbMc mechanical pump has about double the fuel output versus the factory pump https://robbmcperformance.com/products/olds550.html
I ran that pump and achieved 11.01...and I don't think it was the issue holding me back.
Not sure of your intent...but a good mechanical pump will work for 90% of street applications with less fuss.

I do have an electric aeromotive system now and it's great...but between the line up, the return line, the pump, the regulator, twin filters...a lot more can fail.
-peter

Old May 12th, 2021, 02:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rallye469
a good mechanical pump will work for 90% of street applications with less fuss.
Yeah, but...

While I have mechanical pumps on just about all of my vehicles, the reality is that for a car that's only driven occasionally (like only a few times a month), the electric pump will prime the carb and avoid long cranking to fill the float bowl - at least it will if you wire it the way I showed.
Old May 13th, 2021, 01:18 PM

Thanks guys. After posting this I read a very long winded/animated post on the mechanical vs electric fuel pump question on this site. Convinced me to stay with my mechanical fuel pump.