Little comp cam kit i found,looking for some hp

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Easy Does It!

Little comp cam kit i found,looking for some hp

hey guys so im looking to pep up it up my lil 70 olds 350 just a tad enough to notice some difference and i was just looking at the payless of autoparts stores(ebay) and i found this I was wondering if the specs on this cam kit would get something good or would i be better off building a kit of my own?heres a couple kits that look good
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item27ae4b1788
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item4ced6c80cc

If you could give me some insight into the parts that im looking for that would be great here they are
Hei Distibutor-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item230526b4fa

Intake- As far as an intake Im looking at an eddlebrock intake but dont know which one,so many different models heres one of them-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelb...item5639596908
I have a full exhaust ready for when i do the upgrades,im also looking to add some high performance wires,what do you recommend? thanks

Last edited by Kidcutty; February 2nd, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM

The first kit has way too much duration. The second one is closer, but still maybe not the best choice. It all depends on the compression ratio and other components of the engine and car. And, to save him from saying it Mark (cutlassefi) can grind you up a custom for very close to the same price.

Last edited by captjim; February 2nd, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM

Mark is doing a cam for me. Price was great and you get what you need. I would recommed him to anyone.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Easy Does It!

re

Originally Posted by captjim
The first kit has way too much duration. The second one is closer, but still maybe not the best choice. It all depends on the compresstion ratio and other components of the engine and car. And, to save him from saying it Mark (cutallefi) can grind you up a custom for very close to the same price.
does that include springs,lifters,chain etc?
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:28 PM

I don't have his # handy, PM him CUTLASSEFI
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
Easy Does It!

as far as the distributor and intake,what do you think of the ones i posted?
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM

I don't have his # handy, PM him CUTLASSEFI
Captjim, Citcapp, thank you for the compliments. I really am trying to help. I've been in the shoes of the some of the guys on here, it's no fun.

Kidcutty - but to do that, I'll need the comp ratio, heads, gear, tranny, and desired results in order to help. I'd be happy to help. On flat tappet stuff I prefer Lunati, on rollers, Erson.

I prefer the RPM for any application except the very conservative. The distributor is what it is, might work fine, might not. For that price I guess it's worth a shot.

Citcapp - ordered one as well for Panos' 455. Almost the same as yours except a little more exhaust lobe. Need it for the stock C's he'll be running.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 2nd, 2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Easy Does It!

lets do this

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Captjim, Citcapp, thank you for the compliments. I really am trying to help. I've been in the shoes of the some of the guys on here, it's no fun.

Kidcutty - but to do that, I'll need the comp ratio, heads, gear, tranny, and desired results in order to help. I'd be happy to help. On flat tappet stuff I prefer Lunati, on rollers, Erson.

I prefer the RPM for any application except the very conservative. The distributor is what it is, might work fine, might not. For that price I guess it's worth a shot.
hey seffi, well to be honest im not all that savy when it comes to specs,im more of a fabricator,I have a 70 350 rocket with 6 or 5 heads I believe,what ever comes with the 70 supreme model with 350 trans.

I am running stock gearing for now but can upgrade to 3.23's or 3.73's that is not a prob.
I already have a true full dual exhaust ready to go in, as far as power i am looking to get around 50-75hp out of some headwork,cam kit,intake,a hei and maybe a carb if I need it.

The engine is fully stock with 60k original miles so what do you recommend? I would also like to stay within a budget of about $500,intake and carb i can get used.let me know.

As far as installation or valve work,i think i would like to leave that alone as is if you think the gain of doing so would be minimal because i cannot park the car in my garage for more than a couple days(ie sending heads to get built)
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM

No problem. Do you want to hear it? If it's a real '70 then compression won't be an issue. Dual exhaust will help a bunch too. Achieving an additional 60-75 hp won't be that difficult based on the info given.

Let me know the idle quality and tone you expect and we'll go from there. Remember this is just my opinion.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM

I'm a tad confused, you stated,
"i am looking to get around 50-75hp out of some headwork,cam kit,intake,a hei and maybe a carb if I need it."

Are you planning a valve job? Head work? It isn't exactly cheap, but a good valve job and a little pocket work with some blending makes a noticeably difference in low lift flow (street driving). And, if you are replacing the intake, cam and installing headers, you are pretty close to getting the heads off. I know, I know, the dang "might-as-wells".........
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Easy Does It!

re

seffi- The engine is a true 70 original supreme motor that came with the car and ofcourse i wanna hear it idling(who wouldnt) i want it to crackle but not like open headers,nice little crisp crackling sound like i have more horses than i really do, I am hoping to do 60-75hp not counting the full exhaust,I mean ill take 60-75hp if i can keep it relatively simple and easy to do in a couple days. Ofcourse that doesnt mean i only want 60-75hp,if i could get more then thats just a bonus,but again i dont wana spend too much.

Jimy- You are absolutely right about the might as wells,but again i dont have the time to have the work done,I can probably give the heads a quick probing with the good ol dremel and thats what i meant by "head work" but thats about it, I really dont wanna spend too much money because im most likely to see sell the drivetrain in favor of an ly6 and t56 tranny in the future,but as far as the rocket goes,i just wanna keep it a lil rocket capable of being a peppy lil DD, oh,forgot, dont wana lower my mpg too much as well,v8+dd= at least $15 a week for me
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
41 dodge 350 olds

Talking whats the cheapest way to a bigger oil pan?

do i really need a high volume oil pump? the 350 im running now has a stock pump and runs 40 to 50 pounds pressure at 3500 rpm interstate driving at 80mph,is that pressure as good for a hotter engine?.can you get a new toronado pan fairly reasonable.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Mark is doing a cam for me. Price was great and you get what you need. I would recommed him to anyone.
X2 great guy to deal with
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kidcutty
seffi-
I can probably give the heads a quick probing with the good ol dremel and thats what i meant by "head work" but thats about it, I really dont wanna spend too much money because im most likely to see sell the drivetrain in favor of an ly6 and t56 tranny in the future,but as far as the rocket goes,i just wanna keep it a lil rocket capable of being a peppy lil DD, oh,forgot, dont wana lower my mpg too much as well,v8+dd= at least $15 a week for me

Becarefull with the dremel tool. It can be easy for some to ruin a set of heads the first time doing this. Start with the ports you can make them larger use the gasket as a template. The rough area in the intake runner what you see when looking in the intake ports. The reason why its rough because air and fuel mix in the head.

My best advice is if your going to change the engine later before you do anything to the engine you have now I would change the gears. You will notice a big change in how the car performs. You may not want to do anything after that until you put the engine in it that you want.

If still want to after changing gears just change the cam and intake. Maybe carb.

As far as mpg I have found that making more hp and getting good mpg don't always go togather. 15 dollars a week may not be enough for a stock setup if you have to drive very much.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep on asking questions.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; February 3rd, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Easy Does It!

re

well i drive about 7 miles eachway,all freeway so i dont know what we are looking at mpg wise, i need a setup thats gona give me some hp without comprimising driveability and mpg too much.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:01 AM

Here was my high 13 sec 16 mpg combo,
http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28012

If you want the best of both worlds, build for torque an low end throttle response, don't get hung up on HO numbers. If you are planning to change the engine later, do like 70 S suggested and build "around" the engine, using components that will work with the new power train, such as gears, exhaust, suspension upgrades. Why spend the coin on an in take, cam, and headers that you can't reuse?

BTW, what is an "LY6"?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:07 AM

I think he he hit the y instead of an s as in LS. He had said something about an LS engine in another tread.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Easy Does It!

Here was my high 13 sec 16 mpg combo,
http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28012

If you want the best of both worlds, build for torque an low end throttle response, don't get hung up on HO numbers. If you are planning to change the engine later, do like 70 S suggested and build "around" the engine, using components that will work with the new power train, such as gears, exhaust, suspension upgrades. Why spend the coin on an in take, cam, and headers that you can't reuse?

BTW, what is an "LY6"?
That set-up is nice and i guess 16mpg is okay as opposed to my 15 on my 01 deville. However the engine swap will not happen untill i move into a house in about a couple years.

for those who dont know the Ly6 is a cast iron 6.0L v8 that comes with the 2500 gm trucks, 360hp and 380lb torque
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kidcutty
That set-up is nice and i guess 16mpg is okay as opposed to my 15 on my 01 deville. However the engine swap will not happen untill i move into a house in about a couple years.

for those who dont know the Ly6 is a cast iron 6.0L v8 that comes with the 2500 gm trucks, 360hp and 380lb torque
I hate to tell you this but by the time you get done fabbing the mounts etc, the cost of the LY6 motor, tranny and such, you can get 360hp and 380 lbft of torque fairly easily from your current 350 Olds and keep the value of the car. CaptJim's combo ain't that far away.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Easy Does It!

re

seffi-i know it will cost more to do the swap but again thats something ill do do in the future not anytime soon and its something i would really like to do,but not know,so what are we looking at as far as the cam setup?what do you have planned? im not not looking to go all out on this engine because im not keeping it and im on a budget but im also looking to hop it up just alittle.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM

I estimate mine at 300 hp and 350 ft/lbs at the crank, based on ET. My new 355 is closer to 400 hp and 450 ft/lbs, but it won't run on pump gas or get 16 mpg.

Maybe time to start over. How much $ do you have to spend? In order, I would do gears, exhaust, then cam, intake and carb. A mild cam with a cast 4 bbl intake and properly set up Q-jet along with duals and some gears will really wake it up on a budget. An extra 75 hp? Not even close. A thumpy idle? Nope. A reliable car that is quick and fun to drive? Yep.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM

I estimate mine at 300 hp and 350 ft/lbs at the crank, based on ET. My new 355 is closer to 400 hp and 450 ft/lbs, but it won't run on pump gas or get 16 mpg.

Maybe time to start over. How much $ do you have to spend? In order, I would do gears, exhaust, then cam, intake and carb. A mild cam with a cast 4 bbl intake and properly set up Q-jet along with duals and some gears will really wake it up on a budget. An extra 75 hp? Not even close. A thumpy idle? Nope. A reliable car that is quick and fun to drive? Yep.
X2 except you can have a bit of tone without really affecting reliability.

Jim - your new 355 has what in it that won't allow it to run on 93?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
X2 except you can have a bit of tone without really affecting reliability.

Jim - your new 355 has what in it that won't allow it to run on 93?
.510/.522 227/233 Voodoo cam installed at 103 with 10.25 to 1 compression ratio, 185 psi cranking pressure. I did it intentionally, this is a fun weekend car, doesn't see many miles and I have 110 a mile up the road, so I mix 1 gallon of 110 to every 3 gallons of pump gas. I could retard the cam or go very conservative on the timing curve, but that defeats the whole purpose.