help priming oil pump on 350

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2011, 06:11 PM

help priming oil pump on 350

Since its been sitting for 10 years I changed the oil and filter today, I cranked the engine over with dist. disconnected and I didn't see any oil getting to the lifters. I'm wondering if the oil pump is maybe shot. Is there another way to prime the oil pump besides removing the dist. If the only way to prime it is by removing the dist. what can I use to spin the oil pump does a socket fit? Moneys tight cant afford the special tool for this at the moment.
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Hey I just used a quarter inch drive socket with a long extension in a electric drill. You have to pull the distributor first. I did it for quite a while and made sure oil was flowing through every passage..

Andy
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Duct tape the socket to the extension - wouldn't want to lose it...

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Also, be sure you're turning in the correct direction (CCW).

This oh so helpful site has it wrong:

http://boxwrench.net/specs/Olds_Gen_2.htm
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM

You should also fill oil filter first, it will get oil flowing much quicker.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info, i tried what you guys said i pulled the dist. used a 5/16 socket with adapter for the drill. Must of been drilling for a good minute or so, with valve cover off looking for oil but i got nothing, it put 1 hell of a load on the drill through. So i'm guessing by that, that means the oil pumps shot right? I cant think of why else it wouldn't been pumping oil to the valves. Advance auto wants $32 for the pump and then $16 for the pump screen. does that seem about right or does someone carry it cheaper. How hard is it to change an oil pump i know i have to drop the pan to get to it but i dont know what tools i need, or if i need to set the new one a certain way. Can i change out the pump while the motors in the air hanging from the engine crane? thanks for all the help, I know ol' betsy appreciates it.
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 84oldsDelta88
Thanks for the info, i tried what you guys said i pulled the dist. used a 5/16 socket with adapter for the drill. Must of been drilling for a good minute or so, with valve cover off looking for oil but i got nothing, it put 1 hell of a load on the drill through. So i'm guessing by that, that means the oil pumps shot right? I cant think of why else it wouldn't been pumping oil to the valves. Advance auto wants $32 for the pump and then $16 for the pump screen. does that seem about right or does someone carry it cheaper. How hard is it to change an oil pump i know i have to drop the pan to get to it but i dont know what tools i need, or if i need to set the new one a certain way. Can i change out the pump while the motors in the air hanging from the engine crane? thanks for all the help, I know ol' betsy appreciates it.
Pull a few of the pushrods and run a wire through each to verify that they are not clogged.
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Also, be sure you're turning in the correct direction (CCW).

This oh so helpful site has it wrong:

http://boxwrench.net/specs/Olds_Gen_2.htm
Dang!!!

I wondered why my engine was running backwards!
A little knowledge really is a dangerous thing.

"Ignore Alien Firing Orders"
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:11 PM

Sometimes it can take a while. Listen to what Joe is telling you. Odds are that you just need to spend a little more time on it. Good luck!
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM

Well it was stressing the drill I borrowed to the point it was smoking and its a powerful drill I'll tell you what. I did notice that when I would stop the drill I would hear a faint (errrrr) sounding squeak coming from the engine near the oil pump area.