HEI distributor instead of points/condenser!

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Chris

HEI distributor instead of points/condenser!

Hi everyone. So I haven't started my engine up yet. That will be happening soon. But a friend of mine noticed a crack in my new unused but installed blue streak cap. So I got to thinking instead of buying a new cap to go along with the new points and condenser and rotor and coil that I already bought and installed but haven't used yet, should i go for an HEI distributer system with the internal coil? If so what else would I need to change out? Alternator? External voltage regulator? Obviously I would get rid of the external coil and the points and condenser. I came across this. Please let me know your thoughts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-...p/362185414808 And if I get a whole new distributer can anyone detail how to remove the old one and properly install the new one? Thanks!
chris

Last edited by Oldssupreme; November 17th, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old November 17th, 2018, 05:55 PM

Points and condenser are very reliable system that has been in use for a long time. To answer your other questions the electrical system will function fine with either. To replace the distributor, mark the rotor position and remove hold down bolt and pull up on distributor. HEI coils have a bad habit of just dying, no spark, no go. With points you can normally clean contacts and get it running again until you can replace points.
Old November 17th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Chris

Yeah. That's originally why I installed points and condenser when I put the engine back in. I bought all blue streak parts but are there better brands anyone would reccomend if I stick with point and condenser? Thanks!
chris
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Administrator

HEI systems are very reliable, however they are not just a drop in mod. You cannot use the stock timing settings as the advance curve is different and requires a higher initial setting to compensate. HEI distributors require a full 12v supplied to the coil+ so you cannot use the original resistance wire.
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:55 PM
same but different

At this point in your build, why not just get another cap for your points? You can always do an HEI later with a more proper understanding of its requirements.
Also, are you sure its a crack and not a casting/parting line?

I'm saying, don't complicate things now and stay on point.
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Chris

Hi Don. Yeah that's what I'm thinking now. Just getting a new cap. Yeah it's definitely a crack because when I went to remove it, a piece at the anchor point broke off. It still attaches tightly but I think it's probably better to get new.
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:11 PM

X2 don71...stay the course for now. Adding another variable may make things challenging to make it run properly. A distributor is easy to change and "dial in" later.

Good luck!!!
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:08 AM

If you consider going to HEI later don't forget that you can get a lifetime warranty part from the auto parts store that will work just as well as an aftermarket "hot rod" part. I installed a Summit HEI distributor in my 71 98 that just died. I ended up replacing it with one from the auto parts store. The price on the one you linked is pretty cheap though. Good luck!
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:35 AM
Chris

Thanks guys! Yes I will stay the course and stick with a points and condenser cap now. And olds64 i read your post about your HEI dying. Kind of a pain being far from home and having that happen. So should I get another blue streak cap to go with the blue streak points and condenser and rotor or is an ac delco professional a better bet now? Thanks guys!
chris
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Chris, just get a new parts store "cheapie" distributor cap. They should offer one with a lifetime warranty for $8 vs. the $5 for their bargain bin one. The distributor cap is such a simple piece of plastic and metal that you won't gain anything by going with one from a "hot rod" parts catalog.
Old November 18th, 2018, 05:07 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Everything is made in China now, the Blue Streak stuff used to be premium stuff. Last I saw A/C Delco caps had aluminum terminals, not brass like the quality ones. The pictures show brass terminals but the description says aluminum? Supposedly made in the USA, according to one Amazon review.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a.../model/cutlass
Old November 18th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Chris

Thanks so much!
chris
Old November 18th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Be aware that the HEI Also uses different spark plug wires than the points distributor, so that would be another item / expense for the swap.
Old November 18th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Chris

Oh ok. I didn't know that. What type of wires would I have to use with HEI and what type would I need for points and condenser? Thank you
chris
Old November 18th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Hookers under Hood

As others mentioned, stay the course. If and when you switch over to HEI ( especially a cheap one) keep a known working spare in the trunk!
I always keep a complete spare HEI in my trunk. Was stuck at a gas station once, shut er' off to fill up , got back in, the ignition module was done, no spark. Pulled the distributor , dropped in a spare and away I went.
I know run a DUI distributor , are they any better ?? its been a few years now, so far its been running great . Fires up and idles perfectly since installed.
I'd say the DUI units are worth the $$.
Eric
Old November 18th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

This explains it well. I also carry a spare distributor in both my Olds. I have a Chinese HEI in my 88, the advance mechanism, cap and rotor were all very good quality. I switched to an ignitor 3 module and Accel Supercoil, so hard say on the electronic parts quality.
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
I will stay the course and stick with a points and condenser cap now.
Just FYI, don't expect any difference in operation between the points distributor and the HEI distributor.

Back in the 80s I ran the factory points distributor with high quality points, cap, rotor, wires, coil, and the engine would easily turn 5800 RPM. A Chevy friend gave me an Olds HEI distributor so I set it up and swapped out the points distributor and the engine didn't run any different, as in there was no performance difference between the well set up points distributor and the well set up HEI distributor.

Old November 18th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Chris

Fun 71 that's good news. I figured there would be a difference. However with all the posts about the quality issues with the HEI systems I'm more than happy just getting a new brass contact cap. Thanks! Also one more question. I have a set of ac delco 7mm wires that were sealed up in the package from probably the late 1980's early 90's that I opened and they seemed in perfect condition. Any red flags to me using these?
Thanks!
chris
Old November 19th, 2018, 04:16 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Further to kens point about no difference between points (properly set up) and HEI, if you install a mega voltage system delivering lightning bolts to the plugs it still won't run any different. If you have a spark hot enough to reliably fire the mixture on your car that's all you need. Racing engines and cars designed to run lean and clean with long plug change intervals may well need a stronger spark, but not an ohv 2 valve per cylinder iron engine running pump gas.

Roger
Old November 19th, 2018, 04:28 AM

Keep a spare condenser in the car. I have found that you can still get a descent set of points but the condensers seem to be all cheap junk. I haven’t had points fail, but I’ve twice had condensers fail. Luckily once it just ran terrible and I was near home the second was in my garage. I mounted mine on the coil bracket. The coil bracket has a spot for a condenser. It is very easy to get at and change. Unfortunately the current state of manufacturing is: technology goes up, quality goes down.
Old November 19th, 2018, 04:48 AM

Chris, you should be able to use those NOS spark plug wires. Go ahead and install them, if they give you trouble you can always get another set at the parts store reasonably.