Craftsman beam type torque wrench on bearing caps?

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2018, 08:23 PM

Craftsman beam type torque wrench on bearing caps?

I have a craftsman beam style torque wrench and bearing caps to install. Since it's all based on metal deflection and reading the pointer I'm not sure how it would be a problem but something feels really wrong about using a tool from Sears that cost under $30 on something important. Has anyone tried this, and am I worrying over nothing?
Old November 14th, 2018, 09:10 PM

Back in the day, that is the only kind we had. Seemed to work out fine back then
Old November 14th, 2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Back in the day, that is the only kind we had. Seemed to work out fine back then
Agreed. I used one for the engine rebuild back in 1982 and 36 years later the crank is still where it's supposed to be.
Old November 15th, 2018, 03:48 AM

Actually the beam type was the most accurate, scroll down attached article for "ACCURACY", maybe not now with improved technology but the BEAM was king for a long time. The bottom line is that it doesn't matter how accurate the torque wrench is, without proper torque procedures, clean lubricated friction surfaces (threads/bolt heads), your engine could fail. I believe the factory coated fasteners in motor oil before installation. Good luck.
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/200...head-bolt-use/
Old November 15th, 2018, 04:37 AM

I have an old Craftsman beam wrench that was my older brothers’ back when he rebuilt a Z1 motorcycle engine in the basement. I used it many times. The reason I got a click type wrench is because the beam wrench was difficult to read when using in an awkward position.
Old November 15th, 2018, 06:10 AM

Use it. As above, the beam type is the most accurate and stays so, unlike the clicker types. I have both but use only the beam type on critical fasteners.
Old November 15th, 2018, 07:49 AM

Yup. Side note, clicker wrenches need to be used in a specific method to get repeatable results. It's easy to "power through" the click and get a higher final torque than intended.
Now, using a beam on >100ftlb torque bolts would be interesting, especially by yourself. Bracing the engine and yourself, lining up the pull, keeping it steady, AND squarely reading the gauge. I'd bust a few knuckles for sure.
Old November 15th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
Yup. Side note, clicker wrenches need to be used in a specific method to get repeatable results. It's easy to "power through" the click and get a higher final torque than intended.
Now, using a beam on >100ftlb torque bolts would be interesting, especially by yourself. Bracing the engine and yourself, lining up the pull, keeping it steady, AND squarely reading the gauge. I'd bust a few knuckles for sure.
yeah, I had a hard enough time torquing the mains with a clicker for the reasons you mentioned. Though I used studs which require more torque.
Old November 16th, 2018, 12:43 PM

Worked fine for me back in 19 and 63 on my 265 V8 Chevy!
Old November 18th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Interesting, I did not know this. I have both and I have two click type torque wrenches. One read lower than the actual torque, it broke the rear main cap on my 403, thinking around 20 ft/lbs off. I need to put that one in the trunk for an emergency tire changer and make sure I don't use it on a motor again. The look the exact same but the cases are different.
Old November 19th, 2018, 06:55 AM

The torque checking tools are getting quite cheap now and are actually quite accurate. I use them to check the torque setting on the wrench when doing anything critical.
e.g.:
http://a.co/d/8Dl1YiG