Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2016, 06:41 PM

Exhaust Questions

So I'm not really sure where to put this question, but I am wondering if where the exhaust dumps out matters. For example, if it dumps out just in front of the wheels or if it goes back to the bumper, or if it dumps out just under the middle of the car, what is the difference, besides noise? Is there a power benefit to any of these? Also, what do exhaust cut outs do?

Thanks All
Old April 25th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Ok so here goes.

1. cutouts let you uncork the exhaust usually after the headers to run them open with out taking the exhaust off. Loud but usually at the track more power. On the street its annoying .

2. Where it dumps come down to use , choice and sound. Me i have a 2.5 x pipe with mufflers that bolt on after the x pipe with just turn downs at the axle. I take my mufflers off at the dragstrip and run the X pipe open. Taking the mufflers off also takes atleast 50lbs off my car. I may add dumps at the rear axle will cause alot of drone and interior noise. Sounds killer though.
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:50 PM

How do the cutouts work, though? Are they like Corvettes where you push a button and now the exhaust goes through the cutout?
Old April 26th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bobby455
So I'm not really sure where to put this question, but I am wondering if where the exhaust dumps out matters. For example, if it dumps out just in front of the wheels or if it goes back to the bumper, or if it dumps out just under the middle of the car, what is the difference, besides noise? Is there a power benefit to any of these? Also, what do exhaust cut outs do?

Thanks All
Dumps in front of the axle are a bad idea. First, the exhaust noise resonates in the rear axle cavity. Second, you run a serious risk of getting exhaust in the passenger compartment. Third, the heat from the exhaust will cook the rubber parts, causing brake lines, fuel lines, and suspension bushings to deteriorate much more rapidly. Fourth, this is illegal in every state in the U.S. I did this in my young and stupid days. Don't make the same mistake. Get 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes all the way past the back bumper.
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:16 AM

Bobby, you can get electrically activated cut outs. I've also seen them activated by a cable and as a cap you remove from the exhaust.
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:32 AM

Opinion time...

Anytime I see a street car with exhaust dumping before the rear axle or in front of the rear tires, it tells me that the guy took the easy way out either due to lack of skill/talent or because he got lazy or because he ran out of money. It just screams, "I'M UNFINISHED!!"

Race cars are a different story.
Old April 26th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Personally i just dont like tail pipes. I have done lots of exhaust work and im very particular about it. Everything has to be tucked away nice. Its also easier to take the mufflers off at the track. I hate cutouts as they usually rot pretty fast and cost too much.

The whole heat thing and deterorating stuff im not buying it. I have been running dumps for 8 years and i take my mufflers off at the track after a 60 mile track and the mufflers can be handled without glove so that tells me imo not enough heat.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 26th, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old April 26th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
The whole heat thing and deterorating stuff im not buying it.
Well, buy it. I did this on a 71 Cutlass with a 455, dual quads, and N2O in my young and stupid days. The brake line to the rear axle and the hoses from the gas tank became surprisingly hard and brittle after only a couple of years.

I'll also add that I'm very particular - about not dying from CO poisoning...
Old April 26th, 2016, 05:46 PM

I have had the same exhaust for 8 year no issues.
Old April 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Thanks for all your help, everyone