General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1972 Cutlass S exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM

1972 Cutlass S exhaust questions

Hi I am brand new to this site as many olds owners in my area have recommended this site to relieve some headaches!

I will start with an easy question:

I have a 1972 Cutlass S with a 350 v8 from unknown year with long tube headers running straight pipes to red cherry bombs and out 2 tailpipes.

The tailpipes now are about 2 1/4. I am thinking of getting new ones made 2 1/2 all the way back. Would anyone here recommend an H pipe? If so, where would an H pipe fit on the car? The exhaust is already so low to the ground. Any other ideas?
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. 2.5 inch pipes will also lower your ground clearance which may be due to weak springs (37 years old if original), I don't think your 350 would benefit from pipes that big, maybe just tailpipes but not all the way back from the headers. About the H pipe, would there be room directly behind the transmission crossover to tuck it up there? Also, have you had any local exhaust people take a look and give their opinion?
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

What size wheels and tires?

I agree with Dan, Gtound Clearance could be a major factor.
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM

exhaust

It has stock 14inch tires, it was restored top to bottom 8 years ago but now I need new exhaust pipes. I was told 2 1/4 would be fine as my engine puts out very little power compared to others and an H pipe would be highly recommended. The springs feel fine and shocks work great, I believe they were replaced
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Actually with a stock engine, you would probably be fine with 2 1/4 inch exhaust pipes and 2 inch tailpipes. I would get rid of the cherry bombs and use a nice set of turbo mufflers (Dynomax is one of the preferred brands here). Use an H pipe as close to the engine as possible which will be near the rear of the transmission. The H pipe will not really add much power but it will take the roar out and leave you with a nice mellow sound. Just my opinion.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Actually with a stock engine, you would probably be fine with 2 1/4 inch exhaust pipes and 2 inch tailpipes. I would get rid of the cherry bombs and use a nice set of turbo mufflers (Dynomax is one of the preferred brands here). Use an H pipe as close to the engine as possible which will be near the rear of the transmission. The H pipe will not really add much power but it will take the roar out and leave you with a nice mellow sound. Just my opinion.
X2 Redoldsman. I had an H pipe (also called a crossover pipe up here) installed on my car when I went to dual exhaust. Didn't do headers though. I welded the crossover pipe opening on the drivers side closed and then ran the pipes back to stock mufflers and resonators.

The crossover pipe on my car is about 1 foot back of the transmission support brace; just where the pipes curve inward at the center of the car. Considering that it was done in 1982, it's in amazing shape. Kind of a precursor to the X pipes that magna flow uses now. And sound??? Sweet low rumble...it's not a tuned exhaust but it sure sounds nice. Oh yeah, almost forgot. 2 inch pipe is all you need. You can go bigger if you want, but it's not going to make that much difference for a stock 350. My car also rides on 14X7 SS11 rims. No trouble with ground clearance ever.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

The H pipe is kinda out now and the new deal is a X pipe,I run a https://www.drgas.net/ X pipe,

A X pipe uses energy--pressure and temperature--in the exhaust gases to help those gases get out the exhaust pipe a little better. The engine sees a slightly lower pressure in the pipe and that helps get more air through the engine and makes more power.
Heres a PIC of my set up..........Iam running a 3 inch system tho.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
xpipeshotbigsmall.jpg (78.7 KB, 82 views)
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah Jerr, but that car is a monster and needs 3 inch pipes.
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If I could get those women to stand around my car like BigJerr did, I would put 3" pipes on it whether it needed them or not. No doubt that is the best exhaust for a monster car but would be a waste of money on a stock or near stock car.
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM

exhaust

I think I will get 2 1/4 inch all the way back, that way I only have to buy a couple of 10 foot pipes of the one size and the tips I picked out will fit perfectly. I am also getting an X pipe now because I can get one from work for $20. I can get a good deal on either vortex classic mufflers or thrush mufflers. Due to my budget these are the ones in my price range. I get the vortex ones for cost at work and the Thrush ones are cheap at performance improvements. Anyone used these before?