1970 Cutlass S Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:49 AM

1970 Cutlass S Exhaust questions

Got the car and have been pouring over every inch of it. I have some many questions it is making my head hurt.

At any rate, the previous owner installed dual exhaust. They used the method where they cut off the crossover pipe and filled and welded it shut. It does not look too bad and I can access the oil filter really well.

My questions are: Where should the exhaust tips terminate at? Behind the rear wheel? Angled at 45 degrees behind rear tire? In front of rear tire? Straight out toward the rear bumper? Should you be able to see the exhaust tip or should it be hidden?

Right now the exhaust is hidden with a down turn on the exhaust tip. It is behind the rear tire at roughly a 40 degree angle.

I have not seen any example pictures of the termination of the exhaust tips on the site, so if you have any pics that would be helpful. I know this is probably a personal preference type of thing, but any pros and cons of each routing method would be helpful.

I wish this model had the cutouts in the rear bumper as I really like the look of that. But it is what it is and I have to work with what I got.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Unless you have a cut out rear bumper or want a factory look,I think it's all just a matter of personal opinion.
Here's a pic of what the previous owner did on my car.

DSC02007.jpg

I'm in the process of converting to the cut out rear bumper with chrome tips though.

On my orange car I just had the muffler shop run the exhaust to the rear axle and put a couple of turn downs. I'll never do that again,with a set up like that you get a horrible interior hum that will drive you crazy,the Wife wouldn't even ride in the car because of that.From now on my exhaust will go all the way to the rear bumper.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Unless you have a cut out rear bumper or want a factory look,I think it's all just a matter of personal opinion.
Here's a pic of what the previous owner did on my car.

I'm in the process of converting to the cut out rear bumper with chrome tips though.

On my orange car I just had the muffler shop run the exhaust to the rear axle and put a couple of turn downs. I'll never do that again,with a set up like that you get a horrible interior hum that will drive you crazy,the Wife wouldn't even ride in the car because of that.From now on my exhaust will go all the way to the rear bumper.

The down turns at the rear bumper don't look too bad at all. You bring up a good point about the exhaust noise resonating throughout the interior if you mount them short of the rear axle.

What modifications are there when mounting the new cut out rear bumper from the 442?
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by defiant1

What modifications are there when mounting the new cut out rear bumper from the 442?
I'm not done with the swap yet,I've taken my old bumper off and realized I need to clean and do a little painting under there so I'm waiting for some warmer weather to finish.That and I need a couple bumper bolts. From what I can tell,the bumper is a straight foward swap with no mods.

As far as the actuall exhaust,I'm learning as I go,I've never had a car with the cut out bumper. I don't know about the entire system but there are special tailpipe hangers used exclusivly with the cut out bumper.In fact just yesterday I placed an order online to order the special tailpipe hangers.

hope this info helps
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I'm not done with the swap yet,I've taken my old bumper off and realized I need to clean and do a little painting under there so I'm waiting for some warmer weather to finish.That and I need a couple bumper bolts. From what I can tell,the bumper is a straight foward swap with no mods.

As far as the actuall exhaust,I'm learning as I go,I've never had a car with the cut out bumper. I don't know about the entire system but there are special tailpipe hangers used exclusivly with the cut out bumper.In fact just yesterday I placed an order online to order the special tailpipe hangers.

hope this info helps

Cool, I will watch your progress. I think I might try and find a good deal on a 442 bumper and follow your lead.
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Heres how mine was done,Keep in mind the is 3 inch mandrel bent and turned out really sweet............

inthepitsmine1.jpg

BOPRACE10-11048.jpg
DWYERMICHEALSPICSredone134214.jpg

And here you can see it and hear it......
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Heres how mine was done,Keep in mind the is 3 inch mandrel bent and turned out really sweet............

And here you can see it and hear it......
That does look and sound good. I don't know if I could in good faith pull off 3 inch pipes with the little 2 barrel I have. Later down the road I will feel the need to go fast... Right now just trying to make a good looking driver out it. Thanks for the pictures.