Do I need a new fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Do I need a new fuel pump?

I just upgraded my 69 cutlass from a 2bbl carb to a 4bbl carb and new manifold.

The carb is an edelbrock 1406, electrical choke, and the choke is worthless!! My car has trouble starting when it's attached...but I digress.

After my car has been running, and it's real warm, it just wants to sputter out. I give it a little gas it goes back to normal then it wants to sputter out again.

I have a glass fuel filter. at times when it is running, the filter looks empty. So do I need a new fuel pump to shoot more gas into the carb?

Ever since this upgrade my car jusn't hasn't seemed to run correctly. It Shifts at a high RPM, and it sounds like it shifts only 2 gears. It has trouble starting after it's been running for awhile (new starter is on it too), and it sputters out.

I think the vacuum advance on the distributor has something to do with this, but it was working fine before the switch.

I just don't know what to do next...I'm stuck
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM

I did the same upgrade some time ago and did not have to touch the fuel pump or distributor at all. Sounds like possible vacuum leak, might want to check your vacuum with a guage. Are the carb and mani new? Good luck
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Thanks...yes, brand new mani and carb. A vacuum leack has been my biggest fear throughout this entire process. I did the old carb cleaner spray trick, and nothing seems to be leaking. I don't hear anything either, but maybe I need to get something that will be more precise.

After I assembled it, I was having shifting problems, and my mechanic completely bypassed my thermostatic vacuum switch at the front and the vacuum line that runs directly to the caburetor. So the vacuum port at the front is split and runs straight to the tranny and the distributor.

Is there something wrong with this setup? Does a vacuum line need to be running to the carb and do multiple (3) lines need to be running from the thermostatic vacuum switch?
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM

something is wrong if the glass filter is going empty, unhook it from the carb and hold the line into a bucket while some1 else turns it over if it dosnt pump heavy than its your fuel pump or something is plugged, i just had my fuel pump go out and when i tested it it would pump a little, than stop, than spit some out and stop again, when i put my new 1 on it pumped major gas non stop
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:55 AM

If your fuel pump is original or you don't know when it was last replaced it is best to replace it. Supposedly the ethanol in most of the todays fuel will deteriorate the diaphram in the old pumps. Edlebrock carburetors usually run very well right out of the box.
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:56 AM

Supposedly the ethanol in most of the todays fuel will deteriorate the diaphram in the old pumps.
I've heard this too; however, I've never experienced this personally. I'd like to see scientific data supporting it since I hear it so often (not meaning to be snooty, I'm just saying it would be cool to see data).

FWIW, you need to make sure your vacuum advance is hooked up correctly. You also need to set your carburetor properly. I suggest starting by using a vacuum gauge and tachometer to set your idle mixture screws and idle speed. Do this and hopefully it will stabilize your idle.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

I did get my vacuum lines starightened out and it runs alot better! But the fuel is still not flowing too well.

Also, I just bought a new fuel pump from Jegs...impulse buy...Carter Brand...$42. Are these things hard to change out? I assume you unscrew the lines, unbolt the pump, and hook up the new one? I guess my biggest fear is how hard is it going to be to get to? Do I have to remove the A/C bracket?
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM

A vacuum leak will cause the transmission to think you are at wide open throttle and it will shift late. Did he hook the line from the vacuum modulator back up when he did it? As far as only feeling two shifts that makes sense. You're in 1st to start with then you feel 1st to 2nd and later 2nd to 3rd = two shifts. Sounds like you just need to fix those vacuum lines and/or leaks and adjust the carb for idle mixture and idle speed as mentioned above. Don't know why he decided to bypass the thermostatic vacuum switch. That Edelbrock carb has more then enough vacuum ports to supply everything under the hood, if not just use vacuum T's.
Fuel filter not looking full isn't a good indicator of how good the fuel pump is. I've seen many half full that are fine. Do what Celticfan said and see how it pumps into a bucket. It should easily pump half a gallon in a minute.
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

All of the vacuum lines are hooked up correctly now. I bought fresh new hoses last night. Car runs and idles better.

I should listen to you and celtic fan and see if it pumps, and maybe save myself $42.

When I'm cruisin, at low idle, it shifts fine, however when I'm punching it, it needs assistance from the let off the gas peddle trick. And honestly, I can only recall one shift. When I'm on the freeway cruisin at 65, and let up on the gas, it loses 10mph like nothing, making me still think I'm in second gear.

I had the tranny completely overhauled last summer, but it still leaks puddles, and I've taken it back twice, and it still leaks...but my fluid level is fine. Maybe the tranny has deeper issues. Maybe I"m goin to the wrong guy.

Too bad b/c he's honest, nice, and has fair prices.
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Hmm... there are only so many places a transmission can leak. Too bad it is giving you trouble.

If you bought the fuel pump you might as well install it. It is an easy job. A few hoses and two bolts is all it takes.