'57 Olds 98 371 with J2 Rebuild - Questions

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2014, 09:21 AM

'57 Olds 98 371 with J2 Rebuild - Questions

Hi All,

New guy here with some questions for the brain trust. Like the title says I have a 1957 Olds 98 4 door with the 371 and the J2 package. I am in the process of pulling the motor due to low compression in two cylinders. Not completely sure on the mileage on the engine, it ran okay last summer but we are doing a qausi full rebuild on the car so decided to run a compression check and found the low numbers in 1 cylinder especially and then a bit in another.

The decision has been made to pull the engine and deliver it to a local rebuilder that is going to tear it down and then give us an idea on what needs to be done. While that is being done we will work on cleaning up the engine bay and painting it.

My question for you all, is what should we do to the engine while it is out and torn down? Factory estimates for the J2 package were 312hp or so, what would we have to do to get it to say 350+? Are there some simple things we can do while it is out to make it run better and have a bit more power than factory?

These 371's seem to be hard to find parts for. For instance today I was trying to find headers for it, no luck so far.

Can't go too crazy on the money, but if there are some bolt on things and some variables like cams and such that would give some decent gains I would love to hear about it. Basically, what would you do if you had the engine out and a few dollars to throw at it?

Thanks!
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:33 PM

Unable to help with upgrades/improvements to that specific engine; however, I suggest finding out if the local rebuilder has experience in rebuilding these specific engines. If not, you may wish to consider finding someone that does have experience in vintage Olds engines.

If you have not pulled the engine already do a wet compression test on the low cylinders to determine if the problem is a valve and/or a piston/ring problem. It may just need a valve job.

How many miles are on the engine? Is it clean or dirty inside? Does it smoke or knock?
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM

Biggest bang for the buck would be achieved by porting. I would also have the valve seats hardened while everything is apart.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:07 AM

Speed parts for these first generation motors are expensive and as far as I know no headers are any longer being manufactured.If you feel you have the need for speed give Ross Racing a call and Toney will fix you up with what ever you can afford.They make speed equipment for these engines including aluminum heads and much more+ they are very knowledgeable in this era car....Lost in the fifties ...Tedd.....https://rossracingengines.oursafeserver.com

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; March 6th, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Speed parts for these first generation motors are expensive and as far as I know no headers are any longer being manufactured.If you feel you have the need for speed give Ross Racing a call and Toney will fix you up with what ever you can afford.They make speed equipment for these engines including aluminum heads and much more+ they are very knowledgeable in this era car....Lost in the fifties ...Tedd.....https://rossracingengines.oursafeserver.com
Thanks for the link. I was afraid it would be hard to find parts for this particular engine, not exactly the most popular of the old GM engines. Thanks for the info.