1964 Olds Cutlass Headers on a SB 403cui

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2020, 01:18 AM

1964 Olds Cutlass Headers on a SB 403cui

i think about to install a set of long tube headers in the winter from flowtech to give my little 403 more flow and could not found a low budget set onle those which will fit form 68 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-11150flt

does anybody have them on a 64 Olds Cutlass with a Smallblock? i read a lot about the clearance issues and common mounting probs.
Old August 5th, 2020, 05:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1964-67 A-body cars have a chassis that is about 1.5" narrower in the engine bay. When these cars were new, there were headers available, but given the limited demand today, most manufacturers no longer offer them. Every header manufacturer routes tubes differently. SOME 68-up headers fit the early chassis with little or no mods, others do not. It's hit-or-miss.
Old August 7th, 2020, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's hit-or-miss.
Exactly !

Originally Posted by Jonesmen
i read a lot about the clearance issues and common mounting probs.
Had long tube headers on a 1967 Cutlass circa 2002. The process from purchasing the correct ones to the install to the bottoming out to cooking the starter, was a pain in the *** through and through.

At the time Mondello's was the best bet as far as getting headers that would fit. ( they may still be) Dealt with Lynn, it took till the 3rd set of headers to finally get close enough that a professional installer got them to fit. Still needed massaging, shims to raise the engine, z bar adjustment, etc. I was told all 3 times the headers were a absolute fit... So Joe P is dead on as usual, hit or miss.

Not cheap from what I remember, double the price of the flow-techs your interested in and they were plain jane. Back and forth from California to New York, over and over again. At the time I had the suspension redone front and back, factory height..., *** end a bit higher. Collector flanges still made contact with asphalt... often. One time crushed pipes a bit on a highway dip at speed. After killing a few starters from excessive heat caused by headers sitting too close to factory type starter went with a starter wrap... It worked.

The car was a well running and peppy 330, but cant say that I felt much of an improvement in acceleration. The one absolute positive was that the car sounded incredible. 2 1/2 inch pipes front to back running through Flowmaster 2 chambers. I probably got as many compliments for the exhaust sound as I did for the body, and the car was in nice shape.
Old August 7th, 2020, 05:44 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Sanderson shorty or Thornton manifold or shorty header maybe your best bet. Not the power of full length but better flow than horriblet factory manifolds. The Thornton manifolds and headers will bolt to existing available Pypes or Ram Air Restorations 2.5" down pipes.