Upgrading a Batten Headed 455 originally built by Joe Mondello 20+ years ago

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Battenrunner
Thank you for the input Mark, have you used these lobes in anything yet besides our engine? Do you have some dyno graphs of those runs with the morel lifters that you could share so we can compare? Were they doing the same thing to your BSFC numbers because of bounce?
Also, how much would a set of those hylift lifters run?
We obviously want to fix the issues, I just don’t want to dump another $1000 into it with the same results at the outcome.

Yes I’ll see what I can find.
Toplines run anywhere from $340-375 depending on the style and valving.
if you remember you wanted that amount of lift, I remember going with something less in the beginning. But 235@.050 even in a 9.5:1 455 should run fine.
However I still believe that’s not the basis of your problem.
But Vortecpro believes otherwise so I’d just do what he says then.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Mark / Vortecpro wrote:

Its not the lifters................235@.050......640 lift I believe thats the problem, and then theres the 115 cranking compression. As far as Morel lifters go I've never seen a Morel lifter down on power to another lifter brand, (and I've done a lot of testing) I've heard noise in some cases, but not in Ryans case.

Bernhard wrote:
Do you think the cam is bleeding off to much cylinder pressure or is it a sealing issue?
Did you have a chance to do a leak down test?
The compression is down because we test at 6400 feet elevation. The engine itself if fine, Ryan wanted a wide lobe separation for boost, just NA its not going to deliver at 6400 feet. I'm more worried about the valve float.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

Yes I’ll see what I can find.
Toplines run anywhere from $340-375 depending on the style and valving.
if you remember you wanted that amount of lift, I remember going with something less in the beginning. But 235@.050 even in a 9.5:1 455 should run fine.
However I still believe that’s not the basis of your problem.
But Vortecpro believes otherwise so I’d just do what he says then.

This isn't your problem, nobody says its your fault. The engine does run fine, despite the valve float, it just doesn't make any power NA, and peaks at a low RPM. Ryan and his father intend on racing the car so RPM and HP are important. The valve float situation has to be fixed.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/real...fi-t13676.html

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 4th, 2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
This isn't your problem, nobody says its your fault. The engine does run fine, despite the valve float, it just doesn't make any power NA, and peaks at a low RPM. Ryan and his father intend on racing the car so RPM and HP are important. The valve float situation has to be fixed.
Fine but the cam isn’t causing the valve float. You have other issues.
Old December 25th, 2018, 04:16 PM

Cutlasefi wrote:
Fine but the cam isn’t causing the valve float.

Bernhard wrote:
This question is not to lay blame!!
But does not cam ramp profile effect valve float?
From what I have read and through talking to cam manufacturers ramp profile can also effects valve float.
The valve spring pressure is not just selected based on rpm and valve lift but also how aggressive the cam ramp profiles are.
Old December 25th, 2018, 04:30 PM

Cutlasefi wrote:
Fine but the cam isn’t causing the valve float.

Bernhard wrote:
This question is not to lay blame!!
But does not cam ramp profile effect valve float?
From what I have read and through talking to cam manufacturers ramp profile can also effects valve float.
The valve spring pressure is not just selected based on rpm and valve lift but also how aggressive the cam ramp profiles are.
Hyd rollers are touchy when its comes to ramp speed, simply Ryan is not happy with a 5300 RPM peak. Surely we can do better than 473 HP, a few changes should get him a nice gain in HP and fix the power curve. Even if more spring would help control the lobe, there is still the power being down. Theres also the merge collector, I believe the cam should be designed to take advantage of the merge collector. Ryan's not a quitter-stay tuned!

I think its important to also note I had a car with virtually the same exact dyno data as Ryans, this car at 3500 pounds ran 11.35 @ 2200 feet elevation track, although it had no valve float issues to 5800 plus RPM. I will post this dyno sheet if I can find it.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 25th, 2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: picture
Old December 25th, 2018, 05:36 PM

Hyd rollers are touchy when its comes to ramp speed, simply Ryan is not happy with a 5300 RPM peak. Surely we can do better than 473 HP.
I’ll bet that you can.
But I’m not sure why everyone keeps saying it’s the lobes. Yeah it’s the lobes when you have the wrong springs and/or lifters. Do you think these lobes haven’t ever been used before successfully? They’re proven Howard’s cam lobes. I’ve bought this same SADI core from Comp before and had Howard’s grind it, no issues.
Call and ask for Eric if you like. He and I talked about this grind specifically, and we both thought the lift was a bit excessive.
Just hope Ryan gets what he paid for.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 25th, 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old December 25th, 2018, 05:43 PM

I’ll bet that you can.
But I’m not sure why everyone keeps saying it’s the lobes. Yeah it’s the lobes when you have the wrong springs and/or lifters. Do you think these lobes haven’t ever been used before successfully? They’re proven Howard’s cam lobes. Call them if you have questions.
Whatever.

463 EFI Build
469 Carb/EFI build

463 Build
455 build

These 4 builds of yours seem to have the same power curve as Ryan's. Maybe it is the lobes........

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 25th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old December 25th, 2018, 05:51 PM

463 EFI Build
469 Carb/EFI build

463 Build
455 build

These 4 builds of yours seem to have the same power curve as Ryan's. Maybe its the lobes........
Those all had Lunatis, read the text.
And the 469 carb build I’m thinking of made 571. Same curve, really? And the 403 I just did made 491 well into the 5000’s with C heads and 9.5:1. Same curve? Really? They seem to be making better power higher up than this build.
Again you're barking up the wrong tree.
I'm done here. Best of luck Ryan. I really hope you get it figured out.

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 25th, 2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old December 25th, 2018, 05:54 PM

The 469 carb build I’m thinking of made 571. Same curve, really?

Same RPM peak. what was the VE on that particular test that made 571? In fact could you post up that dyno sheet, I've got some questions on that one.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 4th, 2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old December 25th, 2018, 06:28 PM

Batten Runner/Ryan

I'am sure you noticed when we made a pull on your engine and printed the data-about 8 pages of supporting data came out of the printer showing how 473 HP was arrived at during the test. If you could post your VE that would be helpful as well, thanks.
Old December 25th, 2018, 06:35 PM

Those all had Lunatis, read the text.
And the 469 carb build I’m thinking of made 571. Same curve, really? And the 403 I just did made 491 well into the 5000’s with C heads and 9.5:1. Same curve? Really? They seem to be making better power higher up than this build.
Again you're barking up the wrong tree.
I'm done here. Best of luck Ryan. I really hope you get it figured out.
Yes, they do make more power at least according to that dyno, I would like to see the supporting data such as

1. Fuel flow A&B
2. BSFC
3. VE
4. BMEP.

But still these tests you've given as an example all seem to peak at a low RPM. I'am just trying to learn why, as I haven't seen this before. In my testing the Lunati Voodoo cams were way to aggressive with a hyd roller lifter and could not be made to RPM with ANY hyd roller lifter and spring package.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 25th, 2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old December 25th, 2018, 07:43 PM

Merry Christmas to all!!

Like Vortecpro says, I am not a quitter on this.

With 20 dyno pulls, we proved the shortblock is in great shape and ready to go to work.

I think it is now time to explore the potential locked away in the mildly ported heads with little intake valves, and to acquire a cam grind that can be controlled by moderate/ normal spring rates without bouncing the valves off their seats on closing.

At least we have Cometic head gaskets that can work multiple torque cycles....

Hopefully, we can regrind this cam core and reuse another part...

Here is the page with the VE results:

Last edited by Battenrunner; December 25th, 2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 12:17 AM

I know this is a apples to oranges comparison. When I spoke to Bullet cams about running a dwell lobe cam profile I was surprised how much spring pressure was required to run such a profile.
The valve spring pressure required to run the dwell lobe, caused lifter issues that required special tool steel lifters or ceramic disc lifter to deal with the increased pressure.
Would it be fare to say that the existing spring pressure and roller lifters are not working well with this cam lobe profile thus causing valve float at much lower rpm than one would expect?
I look forward to seeing the build progress.
Thanks for sharing.
Merry Christmas
Old December 26th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Yes, they do make more power at least according to that dyno, I would like to see the supporting data such as

1. Fuel flow A&B
2. BSFC
3. VE
4. BMEP.

But still these tests you've given as an example all seem to peak at a low RPM. I'am just trying to learn why, as I haven't seen this before. In my testing the Lunati Voodoo cams were way to aggressive with a hyd roller lifter and could not be made to RPM with ANY hyd roller lifter and spring package.
Look up Madmax 480 build. Everything is posted in that thread.
And again for the last time, that build had Lunati VooDoo lobes as well, the right springs and the Topline-Hylift A-2347S lifter. Ran to over 6000 no problem.
But that’s fine, waste Ryan’s money by just throwing parts at it, regrinding the cam etc. Wouldn't it be better to start by verifying it’s float in the first place? Whatever.
Again best of luck Ryan
Old December 26th, 2018, 05:08 AM

Look up Madmax 480 build. Everything is posted in that thread.
And again for the last time, that build had Lunati VooDoo lobes as well, the right springs and the Topline-Hylift A-2347S lifter. Ran to over 6000 no problem.
But that’s fine, waste Ryan’s money by just throwing parts at it, regrinding the cam etc. Wouldn't it be better to start by verifying it’s float in the first place? Whatever.
Again best of luck Ryan
Send me a link your 480 build if you could, thanks. If you look at the data above you will notice the BSFC takes off at 4700 RPM, I believe thats valve train separation. Now as you explained the tip of the valve will tell the story, waiting to see that. I would really like to see the VE on your CARB/EFI 469 650 TQ build.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 26th, 2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 05:26 AM

I know this is a apples to oranges comparison. When I spoke to Bullet cams about running a dwell lobe cam profile I was surprised how much spring pressure was required to run such a profile.
The valve spring pressure required to run the dwell lobe, caused lifter issues that required special tool steel lifters or ceramic disc lifter to deal with the increased pressure.
Would it be fare to say that the existing spring pressure and roller lifters are not working well with this cam lobe profile thus causing valve float at much lower rpm than one would expect?
I look forward to seeing the build progress.
Thanks for sharing.
Merry Christmas
Yes theres not enough spring pressure, but I'am not sure more will fix the problem, before separation you have 520 TQ @ 4200-unexceptable. Please put the link up to this 480 Mad max build. Whats the name of Milan's forum?

I think this thread explains it ALL. 455 build Cutlass EFI
Looks like 80 Rocket had the same questions I do............................

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 4th, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Old School Olds

Mark's Mad Max engine build.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...455-build.html
Old December 26th, 2018, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Thank you!
Old December 26th, 2018, 06:00 AM

then theres the 115 cranking compression

Low isn't it?
Old December 26th, 2018, 02:33 PM

If it'll load I'm showing another build I did. It's a 3x2 447c.i. BBO with Procomp heads, custom piston yielding 10.5:1, a Lunati custom hyd roller cam with Voodoo lobes, Topline-Hylift lifters, and Crane 99893 springs. The same valvetrain pieces I use most often. As you can see it's a rock solid build as far as bsfc goes.
Ryan, I'm doing this to help you and I hope it is of some help in solving your power issues. I understand Vortecpro has been a big help to you but he's been a real horses *** to me from day one and I'm not sure why. Check out his posts on here for yourself. He's condescending. rude and has basically doubted everything I've ever posted. I've even had to tell him repeatedly to lose my email address. Amazingly he pm''d me a couple months ago wanting a price on pistons, go figure. But I refused to help him, as I want nothing to do with him, ever. He's a whack job imo.

Vortecpro, years ago before all the lifter companies started using the LS body, the roller lifters for Olds weren't of the best quality. They would adjust fine but if you used an aggressive profile they would distort during lift, bleeding off in the process, and getting worse as rpms' increased. But of course you knew all this already because you're an effen know it all. And btw I've never done any Olds build that's made 650tq. As usual you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.
Please don't acknowledge me in any way as I'm done with this thread for good.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Johns_3x2.zip (75.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by cutlassefi; December 26th, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 06:23 PM

Can you post up the VE page of this dyno test?469 Carb/EFI build

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 4th, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 06:30 PM

Hey Ryno. Did you try more timing to see how it affected the BSFC and AFR? Just curios if you are suffering from incomplete burn. Kinda a long shot at that RPM but just wondering. You remember. That thing wont run with less than 50 degree timing
Old December 26th, 2018, 07:08 PM

Here is a pic of one exhaust valve tip.

The others were the same or worse of a star pattern, indicating valve float for sure.

Old December 26th, 2018, 07:09 PM

Or just plain old fashion valve-train instability.
Old December 26th, 2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyZ06
Hey Ryno. Did you try more timing to see how it affected the BSFC and AFR? Just curios if you are suffering from incomplete burn. Kinda a long shot at that RPM but just wondering. You remember. That thing wont run with less than 50 degree timing

yep, it didnt really seem to care one way or the other with more or less timing, it was just blah everywhere....
Old December 26th, 2018, 07:18 PM

If you look you should have material transfer from the locks to the retainer. Maybe, if you have enough run time on the engine. You should spring for the tool steel retainers with the super 7 locks.(I have a set of the locks, your welcome to them)(but you pay shipping). Lighten up your valve-train as much as you safely can. Get it?? SPRING for the retainers I would like to hear more thoughts on the correlation between the BSFC and the AFR numbers. Besides the obvious.
Old December 26th, 2018, 07:27 PM

If you look you should have material transfer from the locks to the retainer. Maybe, if you have enough run time on the engine. You should spring for the tool steel retainers with the super 7 locks.(I have a set of the locks, your welcome to them)(but you pay shipping). Lighten up your valve-train as much as you safely can. Get it?? SPRING for the retainers I would like to hear more thoughts on the correlation between the BSFC and the AFR numbers. Besides the obvious.

these are the Isky tool room, expensive retainers, and I believe they are the super 7 degree locks also. I remember them being +.050 on the height

I know that these are the only retainers made that correctly fit these particular springs, as Isky was the spring manufacturer and these were some new old stock retainers that Isky had to dust off to sell to us, as they don’t even list the part number anymore. Of course, they priced them like they were from a museum.....

Looks like we we will be changing the springs, retainers, and locators also anyways...

now, let’s see if we can get these old Battens to flow some air...

Last edited by Battenrunner; December 26th, 2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 07:49 PM

Here is a pic of one exhaust valve tip.

The others were the same or worse of a star pattern, indicating valve float for sure.

"Wouldn't it be better to start by verifying it’s float in the first place? Whatever"

Looks like valve float to me, of course my dyno data told me it was valve float right from the start............starting at 4700 RPM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 08:00 PM

these are the Isky tool room, expensive retainers, and I believe they are the super 7 degree locks also. I remember them being +.050 on the height

I know that these are the only retainers made that correctly fit these particular springs, as Isky was the spring manufacturer and these were some new old stock retainers that Isky had to dust off to sell to us, as they don’t even list the part number anymore. Of course, they priced them like they were from a museum.....

Looks like we we will be changing the springs, retainers, and locators also anyways...

now, let’s see if we can get these old Battens to flow some air...

You don't need to change any of those parts, much less the lifters, I've run Morel hyd roller lifters 7500 RPM in race conditions with zero problems, made 900 track proven HP with Morel hyd roller lifters, 880 plus dyno HP with supporting data to prove the HP, 7100 RPM HP peaks. And for the record 148.8 MPH @ 3600 pounds with Morel hyd roller lifters. The cam needs to go........

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 26th, 2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old December 26th, 2018, 09:48 PM

"Wouldn't it be better to start by verifying it’s float in the first place? Whatever"

Looks like valve float to me, of course my dyno data told me it was valve float right from the start............starting at 4700 RPM.
I haven't used isky before but they don't look like the tool steel retainers I seen before . Oh well.
Old December 26th, 2018, 09:51 PM

You don't need to change any of those parts, much less the lifters, I've run Morel hyd roller lifters 7500 RPM in race conditions with zero problems, made 900 track proven HP with Morel hyd roller lifters, 880 plus dyno HP with supporting data to prove the HP, 7100 RPM HP peaks. And for the record 148.8 MPH @ 3600 pounds with Morel hyd roller lifters. The cam needs to go........
Are you saying that you used hydraulic rollers in a race application that was intended for 7k plus? If so wondering why.
Old December 26th, 2018, 10:02 PM

I haven't had luck with, let me call them exotic lobe profiles. Most of the time the lobe works in theory but the valve train won't react correctly. Especially with hydraulic lifters.
Old December 27th, 2018, 03:00 AM

The customer made me do it-I don't recommend it, it was hard on the springs. In fact the hyd roller kept him out of the 8s, I remember saying "what if the car runs 9 ohs, 8.80s with the solid roller"
9.04 @ 3600 pounds NA 10 inch slick
148.8 MPH @ 3600 pounds NA

7000 RPM through the lights, 228 @ .050 hyd roller Morel lifters, stamped steel rockers, 1.250 single springs, peanut port 236 heads. Peaked @ 5800 RPM, down 10 HP @ 6400 RPM, NO valve float.
10.34 @ 3720 NA Best
126.2 @ 3720 NA Best
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...drag-test.html

Last edited by VORTECPRO; December 27th, 2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old January 4th, 2019, 04:18 PM

Now that it seems we have a solid shortblock, we are going to massage the heads and install larger intake valves, and likely replace exhaust seats and turn those exhaust valves smaller.

Also, because we were trying to make sure everything held together well during the Dyno sessions, we didn’t do anything with the heads.

The partial tear-down shows everything working well overall, aside from valvetrain instabilities that are soon to be remedied.

So, for starters, aside from the small intake valves, what else can you all see that is restricting flow in the heads....

I will give a hint, the bore size is 4.185.....

Last edited by Battenrunner; January 4th, 2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old January 4th, 2019, 04:31 PM

Now that it seems we have a solid shortblock, we are going to massage the heads and install larger intake valves, and likely replace exhaust seats and turn those exhaust valves smaller.

Also, because we were trying to make sure everything held together well during the Dyno sessions, we didn’t do anything with the heads.

The partial tear-down shows everything working well overall, aside from valvetrain instabilities that are soon to be remedied.

So, for starters, aside from the small intake valves, what else can you all see that is restricting flow in the heads....

I will give a hint, the bore size is 4.185.....

Be Careful with the chamber. Discharge coefficient is very important with the performance of a cylinder head.
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:31 PM

Be Careful with the chamber. Discharge coefficient is very important with the performance of a cylinder head.
What about un-shrouding the intake valve only?
Old January 4th, 2019, 08:06 PM

What about un-shrouding the intake valve only?
Through my job I have been fortunate enough to attend induction tuning classes instructed by Darin Morgan. One thing we learned in that class was the importance of air speed. When air exits the intake port past the valve into the chamber it stops. That's a bad thing. To keep the air moving you want to keep the valve close enough to the chamber to speed the air up but not close enough to reduce flow. Most of us have been taught to pull the chamber away from the valves as much as the bore will allow, and unfortunately that is wrong. We see this displayed in aftermarket heads with very efficient chambers. I'm not saying that we should not unshroud the valves . I'm saying that it should be done very carefully and tested along the way.
Old January 9th, 2019, 08:57 PM

Some surprises to come in the next few weeks on the heads.... the slack in the valve guides on one of the intakes was terrible, and there was more than .009 of runout on the seat that Mark measured.... New valve guides and new exhaust seats to come next by VortecPro.

For now, we are making room for the larger intake valves... I turned these exhaust valves tonight after I got home from work.... let me tell you what, Manley severe duty valves are made of some tough alloy, and it does get harder as you increase the temp, believe me!

These 1.71 valves were cut down to be ~1.635 /1.6345 inches...NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A MARGIN! Haha

Manley 2.125 Race Flo intake valves are on the way, and from the way the ports look, should work great in these heads!

Last edited by Battenrunner; January 9th, 2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old January 10th, 2019, 03:55 PM

Awesome, looking forward to your progress. Thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: Upgrading a Batten Headed 455 originally built by Joe Mondello 20+ years ago