Upgrading a Batten Headed 455 originally built by Joe Mondello 20+ years ago

Old March 2nd, 2019, 08:31 PM

The heads look awesome, and we can't wait to see how The Isky cam runs that was installed and degreed today, and dialed in to a 104 I.C.

We will be mocking up a head and checking for piston to valve clearance tomorrow with clay to make sure the new cam doesn't slam the valves into the pistons; fingers crossed.

Last edited by Battenrunner; March 2nd, 2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2019, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Battenrunner
The heads look awesome, and we can't wait to see how The Isky cam runs that was installed and degreed today, and dialed in to a 104 I.C.

We will be mocking up a head and checking for piston to valve clearance tomorrow with clay to make sure the new cam doesn't slam the valves into the pistons; fingers crossed.
How much lift do you have now? I’ll bet even on the tighter lsa you’ll still have a mile.
Old March 3rd, 2019, 08:38 PM

Lift is in the low .600's on intake and exhaust with a 1.7 rocker...

We checked the Piston to Valve clearance today and it wasn't nearly as much room as before, as it had about .140 clearance on the exhaust side this time.
Old March 4th, 2019, 03:57 AM

That’s still plenty.
Old March 4th, 2019, 07:31 PM

Yes, all will be fine....

We torqued the heads up tonight and took some measurements for the intake manifold machine work still to come.

Everything is looking good and going back together very well.

Going to clean the new 1.7:1 HS rocker arms in Mineral Spirits, dry them well, then soak them in oil and start checking for pushrod length tomorrow if we get time.

Last edited by Battenrunner; March 4th, 2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old April 18th, 2019, 02:54 PM

Waiting , Waiting , Waiting
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:03 PM

We got it all back together today....

Here are teaser picks of the intake porting work by Eric and Mark at Vortecpro.

Aside from the awesome port work, what you can’t see is the 5 lbs of aluminum that had to be removed from the intake to make it fit the heads. This was a rough-finished Intake, and I know what the before and after looks like, and there was literally pounds of aluminum removed from the gasket faces to make this intake fit with true precision!

Next week, maybe Dyno testing of the new upgrades!

Last edited by Battenrunner; April 19th, 2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old April 19th, 2019, 09:50 PM

Nice
The heads look like they will deliver as does the intake.
Mark does top shelf work.
I'm looking forward to your new dyno numbers.
Thanks for sharing

Last edited by Bernhard; April 19th, 2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old April 27th, 2019, 09:21 PM

Dyno Data Today!

Thanks again to Vortecpro for his huge effort on this project with my Dad and I.

This is going to make a very nice Street/Strip combo for us, and we can’t wait to finish the car and make some runs.

Also, I meant to get a picture of all of us standing with Harold Bettes, who was there most of the day, but we were so busy making horsepower and talking engines that I forgot to do so.

Harold was there to hang out with us and to share some of his knowledge with us and answer some questions I had, as well as to watch an Olds engine pass a pretty good number.

Mark says there is still more in it with with an improved distributor and a little more fuel curve refinement, and Mark and Harold suggested longer collectors would likely add more power.

All in all, we started at 8:30 this morning, and got done at 7:15 tonight, it was a long day filled with hearing an Olds grunting out some good power, with lots of little corrections to all add up.

Last edited by Battenrunner; April 27th, 2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old April 27th, 2019, 09:23 PM

Old April 28th, 2019, 07:49 AM

Glad you finally got it sorted out Ryan!
Old April 29th, 2019, 07:32 AM

Well done !!
Old April 29th, 2019, 09:29 AM

Thank You both. It has been a long road....
Old May 5th, 2019, 09:33 AM

How much HP&TQ was left on the table because of the dated piston and ring package?
Not that the engine needs anymore!!!
Old May 5th, 2019, 10:11 AM

I would bet we could have seen another 15 +HP with a modern piston and ring package. Also, Locking out the distributor and upgrading to a crank trigger could have added another 5-10hp more.

Adding longer header collector extensions might add another 5-10hp.

Shimming the hydraulic lifters to convert them to be “solid” might add another 10hp.

So, moving forward, we might still modify the lifters in the future, we are already going to change to a Holley dual-sync distributor when we switch to fuel injection, and we will likely play with the header extensions at the track for the fastest times when we install an exhaust system and cutouts possibly.

We may be able to add 20-30hp more to the combo, especially if we can get a good tune with E85 vs. 91 octane pump gas the engine ran the numbers on the dyno with.

We won’t be changing pistons in the foreseeable future.
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:54 AM

But you’ll most likely lose some peak power with EFI, apples to apples.
Old May 7th, 2019, 10:49 PM

I was thinking it will be the same or better with EFI, especially with an injector plate below the throttle body to introduce fuel to the plenum instead of installing bungs and making it a true MPFI. I think EFI will shine because I can tune it for all fuel types, using the same injectors. I figured I could increase the fuel pressure to 60psi or more if needed to get the target lambda with E85 using these Green Giant injectors.

Last edited by Battenrunner; May 7th, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:10 AM

I was thinking it will be the same or better with EFI, especially with an injector plate below the throttle body to introduce fuel to the plenum instead of installing bungs and making it a true MPFI. I think EFI will shine because I can tune it for all fuel types, using the same injectors. I figured I could increase the fuel pressure to 60psi or more if needed to get the target lambda with E85 using these Green Giant injectors.
Any way you want to look at it, the power you had is enough for a low 10 sec driver in Florida @ 3700 pounds. Goal met. The nice thing about dyno testing on my dyno is the numbers mean this:

127 MPH @ 3700 pounds = 584 crankshaft HP
1320/127 = 10.39 ET

Last edited by VORTECPRO; May 8th, 2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 02:34 PM

Very nice congratulations!
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:04 PM

Didn’t realize you were doing it that way. You might retain more hp that way vs a carb but you lose the cyl to cyl balance. 6 of one, half dozen of another I guess.
BUT your infinite timing control with EFI will give you as much of a benefit as any other feature.
Old May 8th, 2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
Any way you want to look at it, the power you had is enough for a low 10 sec driver in Florida @ 3700 pounds. Goal met. The nice thing about dyno testing on my dyno is the numbers mean this:

127 MPH @ 3700 pounds = 584 crankshaft HP
1320/127 = 10.39 ET
that Sounds

I can't wait to pull the wheels!
Old May 8th, 2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Didn’t realize you were doing it that way. You might retain more hp that way vs a carb but you lose the cyl to cyl balance. 6 of one, half dozen of another I guess.
BUT your infinite timing control with EFI will give you as much of a benefit as any other feature.
Before we changed to the Ported Batten intake and hugely improved heads, there was quite a bit more cylinder to cylinder variation on the spark plug readings.

With the intake and a "wet-flow-plenum" fuel injector setup, I think we will be in good shape on the air-fuel variations of the tune, especially with fully graphed spark control for all possible map conditions.
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM
1968 442 Convertible

This is getting way out of hand. Might have to call Homeland Security to keep this rocket from causing irreparable damage to the motherland!
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:00 PM

Yep, hoping to rotate some Earth at a high rate of speed with this car!
Old June 14th, 2019, 10:43 AM

so, how much did all this cost, not counting the original investment of having Mondello build it? including all the parts and labor(not yours)?
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:48 PM

Hello OldOlds442,

I am confused of what you are asking, sorry.

Are you asking how much it would likely cost someone else to build this combo like this again, or are you asking what it actually cost us?
Old June 16th, 2019, 02:10 AM

I was just curious about how much it cost you guys out of pocket for your build, i have no idea how much dyno time costs, and such... Thanks
Old June 17th, 2019, 08:27 AM
1968 442 Convertible

I consulted with Dr Evil Olds and he estimated, “one million dollars”.
Old June 17th, 2019, 10:15 AM

Performance builds are expensive !
I think they did well working with Mark Vortecpro turning this build into stout build.
Old June 18th, 2019, 08:33 AM

Battenrunner, this was quite the post! Filled with ups, downs, drama but most importantly a ton of good information.
I'm glad you finally got to the "finish" line with this engine build. Now it's time to enjoy it in real life.
Good luck to you and your father at the drag strip!
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds442
I was just curious about how much it cost you guys out of pocket for your build, i have no idea how much dyno time costs, and such... Thanks

I had lunch with Battenrunner today, I asked him about this post, and heres what he told me, approximately a 7200.00 investment at this point. Hope this answers your question.
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:35 PM

Thanks for Posting that up VORTECPRO!

Also, thanks to all for the support on our long road to success!

I have been so busy with work that I really haven't had time to post anything on here for days..... So I apologize for that.

That $7,200 could have been even less if we wouldn't have wasted money on the drama with Mile High Crankshaft and the first go-round with the heads, and the first cam grind, having to buy new bearings for the rods and mains......

Luckily, we kept it more affordable by selling whatever we weren't using that were still good parts, so that kept our cost down a little bit as well.

We do have an ATI SFI approved balancer on it now, as well as an SFI approved Billet steel flexplate, so I feel safe with those parts on-board, especially if we go to a lower elevation track and see more of the real power this engine is capable of.

In the end, we have a very solid engine, with proven durability and power numbers on a dyno with many runs, and it wouldn't have even ran more than a minute with how it came set up originally, or the first, or second time the crank was reground by someone else, before VORTECPRO got it fixed up.

If someone wanted to replicate the build, it is difficult to find many of these parts, but not impossible, and could definitely be done. As for replicating the machine work and attention to detail, not many will be willing or able to do so.

Last edited by Battenrunner; November 13th, 2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old June 21st, 2019, 02:26 AM

Nice job, and quite the journey. Good luck with it!
Old June 22nd, 2019, 11:27 PM

Congratulations for completion from here awell, was an entertaining topic to follow along.

Now go out and enjoy it!
Old August 2nd, 2019, 02:17 AM

I just wanted to congratulate you on your build and say this was an utterly fantastic read. I'm currently starting a very similar build and for very similar reasons. This has really inspired me.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sonoman
I just wanted to congratulate you on your build and say this was an utterly fantastic read. I'm currently starting a very similar build and for very similar reasons. This has really inspired me.

Thanks so much Sonoman. I hope our struggles and lessons-learned will help others to see what can go wrong, as a lot of things did.

The original built engine was a total cluster, and would have never lived for more than just a few minutes at best with the issues present.

I will be watching for your engine thread and I wish you good luck !

Last edited by Battenrunner; August 4th, 2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old November 13th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Decided it was time to remove the engine and pull the ported intake and send it off to get it machined and set up for the fuel injectors and rails the right way to fully utilize the Motec M8 sequential EFI. The intake was originally just rattle-can painted, and so it will probably be touched up/repainted now.

We have been mocking up everything to check for space and clearance and adding corrections as they are necessary.

Last edited by Battenrunner; November 13th, 2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old November 14th, 2019, 04:57 AM

Looking forward to seeing the results. What are you going to use to trigger the ignition, and what ignition setup are you going to use?
Old November 14th, 2019, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Looking forward to seeing the results. What are you going to use to trigger the ignition, and what ignition setup are you going to use?

We are excited about it!

Holley dual sync distributor for cam and crank signals

As for the ignition box, we have a brand new old stock Motec single channel CDI ignition box # 41009 with a single Mercury Marine CDI coil (the type that has the female coil wire terminal and has nuts on the power and ground terminals).

Last edited by Battenrunner; November 14th, 2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old November 14th, 2019, 03:19 PM

👍

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading a Batten Headed 455 originally built by Joe Mondello 20+ years ago