red inner fenders

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2018, 10:33 AM

red inner fenders

i managed to get my red inner fenders under the hood clean but wheel well side has ground in (whatever and turning grey in spots). have tried everything on market and some home made solutions with no success. only option i have left is some kind of paint. really hate to do that but there that bad and ugly. does anyone know what color red and what paint to use, totally lost here.
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just a thought, take a picture of the good side and go to the store and look for some color coded trim paint. I'm not sure how you're going to get it to stick to plastic though.
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by vickycar
i managed to get my red inner fenders under the hood clean but wheel well side has ground in (whatever and turning grey in spots). have tried everything on market and some home made solutions with no success. only option i have left is some kind of paint. really hate to do that but there that bad and ugly. does anyone know what color red and what paint to use, totally lost here.
Original red inner fenders are worth the time and effort to pull them out and take your time. Is it grey from grime or faded to a white color? There is a big difference and both require different approaches to fix. Don't paint till it is a last resort and also be very careful on what you use to clean them. As a last resort you can spray a VERY thin layer of SEM flame red on the bottom side. So thin that is is transparent. You do not want to "paint" the bottom side, just a thin amount even if you can still see some of the grey. On the bottom side it will still be fine. Be sure to use the SEM plastic prep if you do that. I think there is still more you can do first.
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:53 AM

they make a plastic coat paint and the automotive paint store here can mix and put in rattle can or make a pint if i new the color formula. any ideas??
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:56 AM

they make a plastic coat paint and the automotive paint store here can mix and put in rattle can or make a pint if i new the color formula. any ideas??
If you do it don't use anything other than a thin layer of SEM flame red flexible coating
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:58 AM

thanks i.ve seen the sem black but didnt know they had a flame red, believe me i've tried everything to the point of bleeding knuckles. they are faded to white spots in places
Old July 25th, 2018, 11:06 AM

thanks i.ve seen the sem black but didnt know they had a flame red, believe me i've tried everything to the point of bleeding knuckles. they are faded to white spots in places
If they are faded then use some 800 wet sand paper on them in just those spots and see how it does first. You can also use a heat gun after you sand them and bring some of it out that way. Just DO NOT use the heat gun till you have sanded as much of the bad stuff out as you can. After it is sanded it will still look white but the heat gun will melt that fine little stuff right off. After that is when it could still be possible to use a thin amount of SEM.
Old July 25th, 2018, 11:08 AM

On real bad stuff I have had to use 400 but don't get aggressive with that at all. It takes a crazy amount of time to do right.