Instaling a "Hidden" CD Player

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
...should get a life....

Instaling a "Hidden" CD Player

Folks I've purchase a JVC CD player and some kick panels which take 6.5" speakers. I've also purchased a new glove box liner. I'm going to instal the unit in the glove box. Front windscreen has the antenna built in so I'll be getting an antenna extension as well. Just want to do it right, ie nice solid fit, secure and tidy with minimal hacking at anything.
Anyone done it well who would care to share and maybe post a pic or two?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM

Im to short for that type of install Did you get a remote for it I would think a under dash in a 8 track box would look nice and be easyer to change the radio settings .
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:44 AM

I've also thought an under dash 8 track player box would work well. However, if you want to install it in the glove box then be sure to secure the CD player to the body of the glove box. The easiest way to do this would be with zip ties.

You might also consider running a 4 foot male / female mini-phono cable from the CD player's MP3 jack to one of the ash trays. This way you could pull the female end of the cable out of the ash tray, plug in your MP3 player, and play some tunes without opening the glove box.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Whats a CD player????

Your much better off installing one of the newer MP3 systems. Much more bang for the buck.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Registered

I did the same thing in my GTO.
I used a universal under dash stereo housing and mounted it to the top of the glove box, had to cut the back off a little to make it fit.
I installed a wired marine remote in the ashtray so I don't have to keep opening the glove door, it's waterproof so I can leave the top down in the rain..
Infinity speakers with direction adjustable tweeters in the kick panels.
Not an overpowering sytem but loud enough to hear fine, drowns out my wife criticizing my driving.
You can get wired or wireless MP3 adapters if you want to go that way.
I listen to the radio most of the time, we have a few good oldies stations, I like the surprise of not knowing what song is next, the best part of radio. I burn CD's with my favorites from vinyl on my PC with an analog to digital adapter .
Im hip...In my Vista I have an 8-Track player - 8-Track to cassette adapter- Cassette to MP3 player adapter to MP3 player.
It sounds like a Neil Young electric guitar solo or the engine doing a death dance, same thing.
I stick to the radio and my two 8 track tapes in the Vista Cruiser, The Beach Boys "Endless Summer" and Sly and the Family Stone greatest hits.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209990...versal+housing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00055s.JPG (139.2 KB, 70 views)
DSC00056s.JPG (131.5 KB, 63 views)
DSC00060s.JPG (66.0 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Bluevista; September 3rd, 2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Very clean setup. Good job.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
...should get a life....

The system I bought has MP3 functionality.
Alan,...that is a neat job and one which I will endeavour to replicate in the Olds.
I imagine the GTO has a cardboard glovebox liner. How did you go attaching the sides / rear of the housing?
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM

That is an AWSOME setup Bluevista! Did you get the universal mount from an audio store or from a big box store like Best Buy?
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Olds64
That is an AWSOME setup Bluevista! Did you get the universal mount from an audio store or from a big box store like Best Buy?
I bought the housing at Circuit City when they were still around, Best Buy may have them. Otherwise Crutchfield does, $24.99.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209990...t.html?tp=2114

I paid that much for a whole stereo system in my cars back when, some of the cars only cost a few bucks more.

It's been awhile but I think I glued a piece or strips of 1/4 inch plywood to the top of the outside of the glove box liner then installed it and screwed the housing to that Col.