Newguy from sweden

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Newguy from sweden

Hi all! my name is filip and im a proud owner of an Olds ninety eight holiday sport sedan 1962.

I have never seen a same car at the web?

can it be possible that someone here own one?. i would be so happy if i could get some pictures and some input just about this car.

Im not so good to write in english, not with computers too as you can see

Take care!

my olds! just started to restore it

Old February 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Welcome from England

You are not two far away from me. That is a nice Olds project you are starting. It will be lot of fun bringing it back to new. Lots of help on this forum. There are some real experts here and I know they will be of help. Andy[/IMG]
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Past Administrator

Flip, welcome to our site. You have a nice solid looking car, good straight body panels and I like those scallops! Did the previous owner paint those or did you? Four door hardtops are really nice and the early sixties had the best of them. Eventually olds64 will see this thread and probably comment. He likes the big cars too.
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Welcome from England

http://http://s214.photobucket.com/a...ecilsOlds3.jpgFilip, you are ahead of me, I can't seem to get a photo posted. Andy
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Flip, welcome to our site. You have a nice solid looking car, good straight body panels and I like those scallops! Did the previous owner paint those or did you? Four door hardtops are really nice and the early sixties had the best of them. Eventually olds64 will see this thread and probably comment. He likes the big cars too.

Thanks Oldsguy. yes the bodypanels are in really good shape infact "rust" allmost doesnt exist,

The previous owner in usa has painted them so they should need a repaint if they should be left.

Old February 25th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cecil Anderson
http://http://s214.photobucket.com/a...ecilsOlds3.jpgFilip, you are ahead of me, I can't seem to get a photo posted. Andy

type [img]your link adress here[/img]
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Welcome to the site
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Past Administrator

Flip,
Those scallops are nice but it wouldn't be sacrilage to go with a nice two-tone either. It depends, if you want a nice custom look those scallops do it, but those early sixties models and especially your car would look real nice with a two tone. Either way, it will turn out nice for sure.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Flip,
Those scallops are nice but it wouldn't be sacrilage to go with a nice two-tone either. It depends, if you want a nice custom look those scallops do it, but those early sixties models and especially your car would look real nice with a two tone. Either way, it will turn out nice for sure.

The plans i had in mind is to make it a two-tone. Either Green pearl Or gold, with an white stripe along the side?. it seems that this car is so rare? so should i go for the original paint?, but of-course some custom job it will be, which as other wheels and another type of interior,

What do you guys think? keep it original gold?, make a custom paintjob? flames? scallops?

// Filip
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Welcome to the site

Big thanks man
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Starfire61
Welcome to the site!

Your '62 looks like a nice project. The Holiday Sports Sedan is the most common, but easily the best-looking of the three 4-doors offered in the Ninety Eight series for '62. Total production of this model was 33905.

Assuming the color is original, it looks to be painted in Sahara Mist. If you post the info on the body tag, we could break down the paint, trim, & accessory codes, as well as determine where & when the car was built. You'll find the body tag mounted under the hood just in front of the windshield on the driver's side.

Most of those Ninety Eights were tricked-out pretty well from the factory. What sort of power options do you have?

Are you looking for a set of rocker moldings? It's hard to tell from the photos if they're present.

Since you're asking for opinions, I think scallops, flames, & other such excrescences look ridiculous, especially on a 4-door Ninety Eight. I like my cars stock, & enjoy determining how a car appeared when it was new & then taking it back to that point. To me, that's much more challenging than painting a car candy apple red & throwing in a tuck & roll interior that looks like it came out of a circus clown's casket. Unfortunately, I am in a small minority- I have gone to many cruises & shows to find that I'm the only stock car there.....

If you're gung-ho on a 2-tone, I'd seriously consider painting the roof either Provincial White or Cameo Cream. Cameo Cream would look particularly nice against the Sahara Mist, especially with a matching set of Cameo Cream 1962 spinner wheelcovers. You mention painting a stripe... do you mean the entire recessed area where the trim panels would be on a Starfire? I wouldn't do that either- way too gaudy for me.
It's your car, do what you want with it, but you asked for my opinion!

Good luck with your project!
Thak you for your info and opinion, wow to sahara mist i say now when i see it
this is exacty how i want my paintjob done

ill be back with the info from the bodytag in a couple hours. Big thanks to you
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:44 AM

so! heres what my infoplate says under the windshield
o6d lancing michigan

Style 62-3839 Body bc 2824 "the eight can also be an six"

paint TTT
Trim 374
acc.

Magic ??? acrylic lacquet

Body by fisher

on my engine i just found this nr:s 582813, 572150

i have no idea how to read this codes? can someone help out i would be really happy
// Filip

Last edited by maskinen; February 26th, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Past Administrator

You definitely have a good idea about the wheels too. Those old chrome jobs just don't look right and are too rusty looking. I realize that they were probably the ones on the car when you got it though. I have to agree with Starfire61 in all respects except perhaps the color, a nice understated green pearl may look good if it isn't too harsh. The larger cars usually don't go well with bright/harsh colors, as he mentioned, no metalflakes.
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM

ZEUS' BEARD! That is an ageing princley luxo-barge of stupendously magnificient proportions! Welcome to the site.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM

hi moderators. is it ok to use this Thread like a project Thread to my car?. if thats ok i will upload pictures of the beginning of the restoration
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Past Administrator

Sure, but why not start a thread with a title that might get more attention than the few that have monitored this specific one? Maybe use a title that describes what you intend to do like "Restoring my '62 Sport Sedan - The Project" or something like that.